dalmar72
+6|6533
there is cuurently a  half decent deal on for the sound blaster X-fi fatality edition.  I currently have an audigy 2 zs platinum pro.  Do you guys think it would be a good upgrade.  Or does X-fi really make that much of a diffrence?  I currently use either logitech Z-680 speakers or sennheiser pc-160sk headphones while playing.  Does the X-fi give better environmental/positional awareness over the audigy 2?  Has anyone done and audugy 2 to x-fi upgrade and liked/disliked it?

thanks for any info

System specs
DFi lanparty UT ultra-d ( sound module removed)| opteron 170 at 2.7 GHz| 2 GB Ocz Pc 4000 | Ati x1900xt | Antec P-180| Audigy 2 ZS platinum pro |  G-15, G-7 | Z-680's | Dell 21" CRT |  1600 X 1200 all on high 6 X AA
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6559|Doncaster, UK
What's the deal?
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6760|The United Center
Yes.
dalmar72
+6|6533

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

What's the deal?
219 CDN regular 319 A NCIX
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6559|Doncaster, UK
Seems like a reasonable deal. Is the X-Fi fatality that much better than the X-Fi Extreme?
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Seems like a reasonable deal. Is the X-Fi fatality that much better than the X-Fi Extreme?
No.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6559|Doncaster, UK
Well in that case, just looking at the comparable prices in newegg.com I'd say save yourself some money, buy the X-Fi extreme and get the beers in
jsnipy
+3,276|6535|...

So there is a huge jump (performance) from Audgy2 ZS --> X-Fi fatality, or is it a mtter of features and sound quality

Last edited by jsnipy (2006-10-13 08:28:28)

dalmar72
+6|6533

ThomasMorgan wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

No.
You hvae a huge vocabulary ThomasMorgan , But thanks for the replies
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

No noticeable difference with gaming.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
[TUF]Krazy
+0|6739|Sarasota, FL
The fatal1ty is overkill. Don't be drawn in with marketing gimmicks. The xtremeMusic is all you need. The Fatal1ty edition only has extra sockets n crap that you dont need, and ONE new feature. From what I have witnessed, the fatal1ty is no better than the xtrememusic if you want it for gaming.

However, X-Fi's sound hella good. I'd reccomend one.
jsnipy
+3,276|6535|...

Yeah but how big of a jump is Audgy2 ZS --> X-Fi fatality in terms of performance?

Last edited by jsnipy (2006-10-13 09:08:05)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

dalmar72 wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

No.
Why waste time with drawn out explanations when one word answers work perfectly fine?

Yes, any X-Fi card will give you better sound quality and quantity than what you currently have.  The Ultra-High audio setting is quite amazing, to be honest.  Before I got my X-Fi, I was running an onboard sound card, and I didn't notice how big of a difference sound makes.  Now I run on Ultra-High and I can hear everything.  Even though I might be halfway across the map, I can hear when artillery is firing.  I can pinpoint locations of enemies behind walls and obstacles just be hearing the ingame speech, regardless of being unable to see them.  The speakers I have are quite shitty, but I still noticed a HUGE difference.

As for the Fatal1ty/XtremeMusic debate, go with the XtremeMusic.  The Fatal1ty card is overpriced and overhyped.  It's a marketing gimmick to get you to spend more money on features that you don't now, nor will you ever require.  The XtremeMusic will be at least $100 less and you'll get the exact same result from the card as you would with a Fatal1ty.

There.  Better?
jsnipy
+3,276|6535|...

reading ... The fatlity has the front panel/remote (i like the fornt panel on audigy2 now) ... but its not a big jump form Audigy2 ... but im still inclined just so i can check the special box
Deadman
+34|6455|England
I'm glad this thread has been brought up, it confirms my thoughts and what I've read.
The X-Fi extrememusic seems to be the way to go.
jsnipy
+3,276|6535|...

Thats been creative's history with all of thier cards

option #1 - [same card] = $
option #2 - [same card][junk] = $$
option #3 - [same card][more junk] == $$$
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Not worth wasting a PCI slot IHO.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
dalmar72
+6|6533

ThomasMorgan wrote:

dalmar72 wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

No.
Why waste time with drawn out explanations when one word answers work perfectly fine?

Yes, any X-Fi card will give you better sound quality and quantity than what you currently have.  The Ultra-High audio setting is quite amazing, to be honest.  Before I got my X-Fi, I was running an onboard sound card, and I didn't notice how big of a difference sound makes.  Now I run on Ultra-High and I can hear everything.  Even though I might be halfway across the map, I can hear when artillery is firing.  I can pinpoint locations of enemies behind walls and obstacles just be hearing the ingame speech, regardless of being unable to see them.  The speakers I have are quite shitty, but I still noticed a HUGE difference.

As for the Fatal1ty/XtremeMusic debate, go with the XtremeMusic.  The Fatal1ty card is overpriced and overhyped.  It's a marketing gimmick to get you to spend more money on features that you don't now, nor will you ever require.  The XtremeMusic will be at least $100 less and you'll get the exact same result from the card as you would with a Fatal1ty.

There.  Better?
Actually I wasn't complaining about the one word answers at all, it was just poor sarcasm forgot the /sarcasm tag.  But your loger explanation is better thank you.   But I think I will pick up the Fatal1ty version simply because of the front inputs.  I hate having to reach around to put my mic and headphones in, unless I just attach my case headphones and mic connections directly to the card. But in the end it is only about 80$.  But again Thanks.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

dalmar72 wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

dalmar72 wrote:

There.  Better?
Actually I wasn't complaining about the one word answers at all, it was just poor sarcasm forgot the /sarcasm tag.  But your loger explanation is better thank you.   But I think I will pick up the Fatal1ty version simply because of the front inputs.  I hate having to reach around to put my mic and headphones in, unless I just attach my case headphones and mic connections directly to the card. But in the end it is only about 80$.  But again Thanks.
I know...but I realized I know a bit about the cards and figured I should give some input. 

I don't know about you, but I already have front inputs for speakers and microphone.  Now, the front mic input wouldn't work for BF2, so I just used the rear ones.  Then, I plugged my desktop speakers into the front input.  Works like a charm.

Well, until I woke up yesterday morning and stepped on my headphones.  So...anyone know of any good, comfortable headphones?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6729
Xtrememusic and Fatality is the same shit. Fatality just has a little red light, woopdi fucking doo.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6535|...

My front ones wouldn't work either ... i had to change the source back to the front after the game was started ... i

Last edited by jsnipy (2006-10-13 10:27:33)

dalmar72
+6|6533

ThomasMorgan wrote:

dalmar72 wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

There.  Better?
I know...but I realized I know a bit about the cards and figured I should give some input. 

I don't know about you, but I already have front inputs for speakers and microphone.  Now, the front mic input wouldn't work for BF2, so I just used the rear ones.  Then, I plugged my desktop speakers into the front input.  Works like a charm.

Well, until I woke up yesterday morning and stepped on my headphones.  So...anyone know of any good, comfortable headphones?
I really like my Sennheiser PC160's
T4rd
+44|6689|West Point, NY
You know you can get the Platinum Edition X-Fi for just a bit more and it comes with the front panel.  The only difference between the Platinum and Fatal1ty edition is a couple hundred dollars and 64 MBs of RAM on the card.
dalmar72
+6|6533

T4rd wrote:

You know you can get the Platinum Edition X-Fi for just a bit more and it comes with the front panel.  The only difference between the Platinum and Fatal1ty edition is a couple hundred dollars and 64 MBs of RAM on the card.
Where I normaly buy things here in canada The x-fi platinum is 212  the fatality was 319 and the extreme music was 140 (cdn)  but the fatality was on special for 219 so that's what I ended up getting.  Should be in early next week.  Thanks for all the helpful info to everyone.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6672|The darkside of Denver
You wont be disappointed. i love my xfi

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard