unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

Went to buy Dark Crusade today, but it was out of stock. Saw CoH for $10 off, and picked up a copy of that instead. The special effects and sounds are incredible, and the single player game is decent, but it seems woefully incomplete, and the auto-cover AI makes your infantry act like retards. Go for cover! No! Wait! Half of the squad stand out in the middle of the street and shoot while crouched!

And so few skirmish maps...I dunno.

Will this be a coaster like Dungeon Lords? Probably not. Great benchmarking stuff, but I still feel like I just paid $40 on an arcade machine in the course of a few hours. It is to my eternal displeasure that software is non-returnable.

Who knows, perhaps when I have a computer that can run it at full detail, flawlessly, there will be some interesting mods. Until then, back on the shelf it goes, to be forgotten. But PC Gamer gave it 96%, so who am I to contradict a rushed release?

Overview -

What I loved:
  • physics
  • interactive, somewhat realistic sound and detailed, circumstantial voice-overs
  • graphics
  • story/cutscenes
  • detailed RTS objectives in skirmish and multiplayer: specific resource control points (population, fuel, ammo), and "ticket" control points (in the tradition of Battlefield)
  • commander abilities (similar to C&C Generals)
What I hated:
  • pathing and incomplete 'auto-cover' code
  • micromanagement due to incomplete 'auto-cover' code...I was right about the possibility of a micromanagement trap in this thread
  • AI's instamanagement and omniobservation abilities, even on easy mode
  • repetitive "take everything" single-player missions
  • irrelevancy of awards; invisible in your online profile
  • the loss of $40 on a product that will probably end up seeing as much shelf time as X2, Dungeon lords, and I of the Dragon, even if it was a price cut from $50
  • the fact that none of my friends have it, and that I'll never recommend it to them (despite talking up the voice-overs) until it hits the bargain bins
  • the fact that the following screenshot made me think that I was going to be able to control deployment strategy in Europe:https://media.ign.com/thumb/166/1666558/company-of-heroes-20060911032111293_thumb.jpgsorry to say that you can't, because it's part of a cinematic
What I didn't even notice:
  • the music

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-13 01:22:24)

Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6678|Brisbane, Australia

Yeah, it looks very good, but the auto cover is horrible

The effects look good, but you really need a high end game to enjoy it

Im in the same boat as you
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6614|Scarborough Yorkshire England
The game looks awesome in full detail.
I fully agree with the dodgey auto-cover, and the AI cheats like mad but I think the game is good, it gets Bloody hard about 7-8 missions into the campaign
At the end of the day it is another RTS (that looks sweet) it does nothing out of the ordinary to make it the must have game of the year. I do like the commander points part of the game as a little something extra to work on.
Over here in the uk you get Dawn of War GOTY edition with CoH so to me it made it a worth while purchase
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6707|United States of America
I played the demo and it takes some getting used to on easy difficulty. It's very different from other somewhat resource-included games since you can usually sit in your base and collect them instead of having to capture territory and thereafter defend that territory. I do like the neat graphics and neat commander "unlocks," especially the '88 you get as Germans.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

Jinto-sk wrote:

Over here in the uk you get Dawn of War GOTY edition with CoH so to me it made it a worth while purchase
Oh my god, you lucky bastard. I could've given that copy of DoW to a friend, and played online.

My main complaint about CoH AI is, aside from the cruddy autocover system, is the fact that all the computer has to do to disrupt your supplies is to take some random point in the middle of your map. This wouldn't be so bad if it was easy to create units to defend, but your maximum allocation is pretty damn thin and there's absolutely no way to effectively plug up. And you're pretty much on your own in your little localized skirmish war, without any outside supply support. Even C&C Generals had supply drop zones.

I've pretty much lost any respect I've had for the previously prestigious 'PC Gamer Editors' Choice' award. They were too wowed by the effects and the physics engine to pay attention to long-term playability, and this shows in the relatively dismal number of servers running.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-13 01:10:04)

Reciprocity
+721|6603|the dank(super) side of Oregon
This is why Demos are so neat-o.  And if they dont offer a demo, that tells you something right there.
RexRandy
+2|6737
CoH is the best strategy-game in years. I used to play Generals for quite a long time and CoH is about to replace it. The multi-player-mode is fast and takes a lot of skill...only these damn disconnects are disturbing the fun...
Reciprocity

sithao wrote:

thats why u should of got it through torrent - torrent = free
is there someone around here that can delete this post and ban this member?  douche bags like you are the reason games are getting shittier and shittier.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6744|Sydney, Australia

Reciprocity wrote:

sithao wrote:

is there someone around here that can delete this post and ban this member?  douche bags like you are the reason games are getting shittier and shittier.
you called
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

Rebuttals

Reciprocity wrote:

This is why Demos are so neat-o.  And if they dont offer a demo, that tells you something right there.
Demos are misleading. I played the demo, and was enthused about the selected single player missions, and had some hope for skirmishes. Then I bought it. Mission two was a study of drudgery. There weren't nearly enough skirmish maps. Console commands are limited. Online servers crasy. And if they release an Axis/Soviet/Pacific campaign, it'll probably be in the form of a $30 expansion.

RexRandy wrote:

CoH is the best strategy-game in years. I used to play Generals for quite a long time and CoH is about to replace it. The multi-player-mode is fast and takes a lot of skill...only these damn disconnects are disturbing the fun...
To each their own, I suppose.

I love the concept, but they should've worked on it a bit longer. And even in the skirmish mode with high resources selected, both me and my computer struggle to field enough troops to defend our points, and troop numbers are maxed out way too easily. C&C 3 or Supreme Commander will probably replace this thing. That being said, CoH is primed for mods, and that's the only real reason why I'm not going to drop it off at EBGames for minute return on my investment. A bit disappointing, considering the fun I've had with previous Relic/THQ installments.

Reciprocity wrote:

sithao wrote:

@Reciprocity: No, the reason why some games are shitty is because sometimes they get pushed for an early release. Or sometimes the people making them just don't care, and figure that people will just buy it anyway.

I play demos, of course, but I don't trust them implicitly. I used to download retail games for free to see if I like playing the real thing. In those days, I bought around two to three games a month. Now, I don't download retail games because it's just not worth the legal risk. Now, buying a couple games in a single quarter is my idea of splurging. The same applies to movies and music.

Approached from another direction, I could say that I don't think games are fairly priced. A new game costs around 2.5 times as much as a new DVD, sometimes more (even music CD's, overpriced as they are, only cost 1/3 the amount over the cost of a DVD).

You could say, on my terms, that entertainment corporations and their strongarm tactics won the battle, but lost the war.
Reciprocity
It's a combo of Greedy Companies, revenue stress, stupid release dates, and pushed production.  and they all contribute to each other.  They seem to be at least trying to solve the pushed production problem by modifying the industry conventions i.e. E3.  As for the price,  they always go up, like everything else.

I generally don't mind paying $50+ for a game as opposed to a $15 DVD because when's the last time a Movie gave you 1000 hours of entertainment?  Just going to the movies now can costs $15-25 per person.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

Reciprocity wrote:

a. It's a combo of Greedy Companies, revenue stress, stupid release dates, and pushed production.  and they all contribute to each other.  They seem to be at least trying to solve the pushed production problem by modifying the industry conventions i.e. E3.  As for the price,  they always go up, like everything else.

b. I generally don't mind paying $50+ for a game as opposed to a $15 DVD because when's the last time a Movie gave you 1000 hours of entertainment?

c. Just going to the movies now can costs $15-25 per person.
a.
b. I don't mind paying $50+ for a game if it gives me tons of hours of entertainment. But short of a really huge patch, a good mod or free campaign/skirmish expansion material (hell, they had a poll about axis/soviet campaigns on their website), CoH will be lucky to get 24 hours out of me. A movie's a different sort of investment; an indirect experience that can still stick in your mind for a long time if it's good enough.
c. Since when did going to the movies cost that much? I pay only $5 to $7...oh, wait, you get caught in the concessions trap, right? I've never had backpacks, pockets or coats searched for outside goods.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-13 02:20:09)

Reciprocity
I've blown $50 on a game that i play for all of 3 hours (i'm looking at you, Quake 4 box).  And at the same time, I have fond memories of guiding Sam Fisher through Enemy infested office buildings.  so yeah, sometimes it's a roll of the dice. 

some places in California your looking at $10+ for tickets now.  Even here in rural Oregon, it's $8+ for an evening ticket.  And I'm too lazy now to be sneaking stuff in, back in high school,  it was different story.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

#  pathing and incomplete 'auto-cover' code
When you take an infantry unit and mouseover cover in the map you get an indicator of the troop formation and color coded designation for the quality of cover. When you just leave it up to the computer to find cover in a firefight they might not allways find the best cover ..Thats really your fault not the game's.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

AI's instamanagement and omniobservation abilities, even on easy mode
I'm sure this is attributed to your skill and experience level. I'm not the masterr and I can keep up with and beat expert with little problems.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

irrelevancy of awards; invisible in your online profile
You want easily won single player awards to be relevant in solo ?..

The music is awesome too. I'd agree the singleplayer's not so fufilling. Not the worst not the best but what you really paid for is the multiplayer which is the best around imo. It's the deepest rts in combat mechanics wise and you being a warhammer fan should appriciate the focus on combat management instead of resource gathering.

Heres a few videos I made.

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

Reciprocity wrote:

a. I've blown $50 on a game that i play for all of 3 hours (i'm looking at you, Quake 4 box).  And at the same time, I have fond memories of guiding Sam Fisher through Enemy infested office buildings.  so yeah, sometimes it's a roll of the dice. 

b. some places in California your looking at $10+ for tickets now.  Even here in rural Oregon, it's $8+ for an evening ticket.  And I'm too lazy now to be sneaking stuff in, back in high school,  it was different story.
a. Amen, brother. I slogged through the latter half of Quake 4 just to feel like I made good on the purchase. And Sam Fisher ftw (47, too).

b. Well, they're cheap here in Washington. My local Regal is $7, and the one where I live's only $5. As for the difficulty of sneaking stuff in...what's hard about it? Go to a 7-11, grab some candy and a bottle of soda, and go into the theater with it. One time, just to experiment, I had a giant bottle of Sprite clenched in my fist out in plain view, and the ticket-taker said absolutely nothing about it.

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

#  pathing and incomplete 'auto-cover' code
When you take an infantry unit and mouseover cover in the map you get an indicator of the troop formation and color coded designation for the quality of cover. When you just leave it up to the computer to find cover in a firefight they might not allways find the best cover ..Thats really your fault not the game's.
I noticed and liked that 'Full Spectrum Warrior' aspect, but it is flawed. Sometimes, when I tell them to hide behind an obstacle like a sandbag wall, one of them will decide out of the blue to go stand in front of it, or even further out into the middle of the road instead. Also, I was expecting them to run for cover when under fire, not just hit the dirt and crawl around in circles. They talked about it so much in developer interviews, that I thought it would actually be done.

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

AI's instamanagement and omniobservation abilities, even on easy mode
I'm sure this is attributed to your skill and experience level. I'm not the masterr and I can keep up with and beat expert with little problems.
It's not my biggest point of contention, but with the way resource intake works and how easy it is to cut it off leaves me without much time watch the graphic spectacle of firefights, as I'm hurriedly ordering infantry and vehicles around to counter every group of engineers attacking that supposedly unimportant farmhouse out in the middle of nowhere.

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

irrelevancy of awards; invisible in your online profile
You want easily won single player awards to be relevant in solo ?..

The music is awesome too. I'd agree the singleplayer's not so fufilling. Not the worst not the best but what you really paid for is the multiplayer which is the best around imo. It's the deepest rts in combat mechanics wise and you being a warhammer fan should appriciate the focus on combat management instead of resource gathering.
There's no e-penis incentive to even go for the awards. You just see them glistening in your campaign menu.

Not the worst, and not the best. I couldn't agree more. If only the demo allowed online play, perhaps I could get some of my friends interested in it for just that aspect. Yeah, I'm a DoW fan, and I do appreciate the focus on combat management. But unlike DoW, it's just too expensive to button up your resource nodes. One feature I would appreciate is a constant flow of resources from the outside, just to lighten it up a bit. Maybe at least some more maps without expecting me to pay $30 for an expansion.

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

Heres a few videos I made.

{youtube links}
A man after my own heart. I love building up ludicrous forces in RTS's just to pound the enemy flat right afterwards. However, C&C Generals only limits you're numbers by how many can physically fit inside the map. Nothing quite like ordering two-hundred jets to 'guard' a small area, or just dropping 50 nukes on an enemy base all within the span of 20 seconds.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-13 03:36:36)

Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6698|Moscow, Russia
I love games by Relic Entertainment. They are always of top quality. I've played the demo of CoH and I'll probably get a copy of it asap.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6779|Scotland

unnamednewbie13 :
I think you are wrong, very wrong.
CoH was meant to be an RTS like no other, it was meant to be something exhilarating, great, new, modern.

CoH has successfully implemented all that into the game, and more.
The AI is beyond the reach of any other games developer. How many RTS have you seen when the AI does pretty much everything perfect? And if you dont do stuff right it anihilates you off the map?

yes maybe, the tank AI + the infantry AI gets a bit muddled. But guys, give them the benefit of the doubt.
The game is nearly perfect. In every way, yes you might need a hugely powerful computer to enjoy the graphical neatness.

But all the same, how many RTS games that are not relic have you been able to zoom in right up to their eyes, and watch every bullet get fired and throw away.
How many RTS games implement the fact that humans are not perfect and that they miss the target?

You, my friend, are very enclosed into BF2, as I do not think one other big RTS fan or CoH would comment about the awards. This, people, is the next generation RTS, it is one of a kind for now. It is a game that includes everything you have wanted in an RTS, and more.
If you play FPS 24/7, dont comment on this game, as your views will be very biased and different to any other.

This is my general opinion, and PC GAMER was right. It deserved what it got.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

zimmer92 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 :
I think you are wrong, very wrong.

You, my friend, are very enclosed into BF2, as I do not think one other big RTS fan or CoH would comment about the awards. This, people, is the next generation RTS, it is one of a kind for now. It is a game that includes everything you have wanted in an RTS, and more.
If you play FPS 24/7, dont comment on this game, as your views will be very biased and different to any other.
And the fact that the number of maps is dismal has nothing to do with being a bit disgusted? But look who's jumping to conclusions: I have well over 500 PC titles on my shelves, from all sorts of genres. But PC Gamer's opinion trumps all else, so...
GhostStalker0
I like pie
+29|6500|San Diego, CA
Good game, Dark Crusade is my next item on the list. But like you said, everyone took it! I want my Necrons!
Dark crusades solo is much improved and the tau are cool ..love the art

I read your comment on youtube unnamed and its not a trainer thats just skirmish mode
Phrozenbot
+632|6638|do not disturb

Dark Crusade is much betta. Dawn of War FTW!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard