Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6799|USA! USA! USA!
This is just a curiosity of mine...

I was wondering how many current / former military members are out there who play the game.  Don't say anything that would violate OPSEC (such as "I'm PVT Snuffy, 2 platoon, 2/2 FA, and we are attacking Fallujah tomorrow!")  Maybe just status, duty station, and branch.

Myself, currently in the USAR, I ETSed from Active Duty Army about a year ago.  I currently drill at Ft. Sill.  I got out to go to school and take advantage of the paid tuition / $1,200 a month G.I. Bill.  Not working (other than class) is awesome.  I might go Green to Gold when I'm done, but I don't know yet.

Last edited by Krauser98 (2005-09-02 14:12:31)

Sn0wMan
Spray 'n Pray
+1|6809
2nd year in Army ROTC myself. 2LT in '08 .

Last edited by Sn0wMan (2005-08-16 19:23:17)

B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6811|Cologne, Germany

We have mandatory service for all male germans after they finish high school over here ( its either 10 month in the army or 15 months community service, so I chose the army... ). I served my tour of duty in FMAufklRgt 940. But that was a long time ago, 1995/1996. I'm in the Reserve, but it is unlikely that most of us are ever gonna be called up for duty again ( it's not called the non-active reserve for no reason..).
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6799|USA! USA! USA!
I thought if you went to college you could get out of that.  I must be mistaken, because, well...  I've never been zu Deutschland.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6811|Cologne, Germany

Krauser98 wrote:

I thought if you went to college you could get out of that.  I must be mistaken, because, well...  I've never been zu Deutschland.
nope, mandatory service ( be it community service or the army, doesn't matter ) is always after you finish high school here and before you start further education ( College, university, job training, whatever ). Of course, you might be lucky and not get a call from the governmant at all. How many people are actually drawn depends on the no. of possible recruits and the demand by army or communities. In most years, not everyone that is elligible is taken in the end.

There are other ways to get around mandatory service, though.

1. you are the main money earner in your family or contribute so much to the family business that you being away for months would mean risking banktruptcy ( happens when you work on your family's farm, for example, or if your parents are dead )
2. you have at least two more brothers who have already served.
3. you somehow convince the doctors during the medical check-up ( which will be done regardless of wether you will be selected in the end or not ) that you are mentally unstable or have some sort of body malfunction or permanent disease that would make it impossible for you to serve in the armed forces or in community service.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6799|USA! USA! USA!
I found this on FARK the other day...  Some Japanese propoganda from WWII...  It would probably be better off in a BF1942 forum, but since we are talking about getting out of it by being mentally ill... Click the pick to go to the original web page...

https://www.2bangkok.com/images/japrop12.jpg
Rakasan
+7|6806|California, USA
Reporting for duty sir!

'94 -'95: 101st Airborne Division in Fort Campbell, Kentucky. 3/502 Infantry Regiment
'95-98: Fort Wainwright, Alaska. 2/1 Infantry Regiment
InTheCorps
+0|6785
I am in the USMC active and have been for the past 13 years. Will be for 20. Just wish I could reach my current rank on the game. I am now in Japan.

Last edited by InTheCorps (2005-08-29 20:42:20)

Preacher
In Hoc Signo Vinces
+1|6805|Netherlands, the
1990 - 1993.:   UN Nato Forces, Dutch Royal Airforce, 3rd Group Guided Weapons (Patriot/Stinger), 327 Sqd.    Blomberg Germany.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6799|USA! USA! USA!
I've got a friend from High School in Japan.  Chirs Arvisio (sp?)  Really cool kid.
[7E]ToJo
+0|6817|Indiana
US Army '87 - '90 Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
Teuf
+0|6811|MI, USA
USMC

eas '95

God how I miss it so.  If it wasn't for my kids, I'd be back in.

Semper Fidelis, carry on
Dizik
It tastes like burning
+23|6785|Moore, OK
I just seperated from the US Air Force this June. Got out after four years as a Senior Airman (E-4), and I'm now a contractor. I did two years at Misawa Air Base in Japan, and a year and a half at Langley AFB in Virginia.

Last edited by Dizik (2005-09-08 00:24:24)

Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6799|USA! USA! USA!
Langley gives me the creeps...
Kujondw42
+0|6786|Washington, DC
10 years Navy (parachute rigger)...... have been out for 2 years.  Fireman now!

Go Navy!
moses.xRp
+0|6773
i'm at the german army right now.  i work there for 3 years now and will be an officer in the near future. there will be another 9 year duty till i will leave the army. i work in an transport battalion, in the heavy load company and i used to be platoon leader.
AndrewPoison
T5 gemustert
+2|6794|Germany

B.Schuss wrote:

3. you somehow convince the doctors during the medical check-up ( which will be done regardless of wether you will be selected in the end or not ) that you are mentally unstable or have some sort of body malfunction or permanent disease that would make it impossible for you to serve in the armed forces or in community service.
just look at my forum-title ... "T5-Gemustert"
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6789
I'm currently in the National Guard, been thinking of volenteering to go on a tour somewhere, and then doing college classes over the internet, haven't made up my mind yet though, I may reclass to 25B pretty soon.
Henkuz
Repairs on request
+28|6774|Alkmaar, the Netherlands
1985 - 1986 Artillery School at Breda in Holland.

Last edited by Henkuz (2005-09-15 23:17:11)

SilentBob
Silent but deadly...
+1|6785|Nellis AFB (Las Vegas, NV)
2002-present  United States Air Force, 57th Component Maintenance Squadron, Senior Airman E4 (sew on Staff Sergeant E5 in June), Nellis AFB

Last edited by SilentBob (2005-09-14 02:16:42)

TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6795|Netherlands
Garde Fuseliers Prinses Irene Brigade   74,75,76  Rank;Corporal.   13th   PAINFBAT.  ( PanzerInfanterieBat)                                                                  Infra red TLV =  terugstootloze vuurmond=    no-recoil=   like a rocketlauncher=     u lay down,  and have 1 helper, with UZI, for loading against armor, on foot,  anti tank weapon name is =   (Carl Gustav)       Rank;    Corporal.      personal weapon;  9mm.  pistol.    http://www.fuseliers.net/  https://img464.imageshack.us/img464/8025/t53265fd.jpg

Last edited by TheMajorBummer (2005-10-27 16:51:53)

rofo
+0|6805|Austria, Europe
05/02 - 01/03

1. pzlfalbt (gepanzerte leichte fliegerabwehr batterie) light armored anti aircraft battalion

mandatory service is basicly the same here in austria like in germany (as brian said)
only difference is that it takes 8 months here and in germany i think its 12 months.

however, they called me quite late to duty cause of a shoulder luxation i got in 1998, so i hoped for beeing ineligible quite some time.

a good friend of mine is instructor at special forces
here is a pic of him while training house to house combat. the guy on the right.
(pic is official accessable over the homepage of the austrian armed forces)
he's also playing bf2 in his spare time, quite few actually but however...
Maj0r_W00dy
+0|6812
1992-present, USAF, TSgt, Nellis AFB, working on the F/A-22 Raptor.

Last edited by Maj0r_W00dy (2005-09-15 13:46:56)

[19th]Corps Conner
+0|6765
Major USAF,  US Air Force Academy '89, Weapon System Officer/Navigator EC-130J/E
193d Special Operations Wing
Stasiek
Pojebany Hlop
+1|6809|Sicily, Italy
USN AD 1998-present
been stationed overseas for over 6+ years, primary duty as a Electrician's Mate but for almost the last 3 i've been doing Law Enforcement duties
stationed in Sicily Italy

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard