Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6731
There are two types of lag:

Graphical Lag: A low frame-per-second rate, which will make everything look jerky. Turning down graphics settings and resolution improves this.

Connection Lag: Whenever it says "there is a problem with your connection". Also includes when players are move jerkily. This is caused by: the server, your connection speed, how close the server is to you, whether you have wireless, or a combination of the above.

So don't try and solve conenction problems by turning down graphics.
M_Harrower
Will code HTML for food
+114|6544

Talon wrote:

There are two types of lag:

Graphical Lag: A low frame-per-second rate, which will make everything look jerky. Turning down graphics settings and resolution improves this.

Connection Lag: Whenever it says "there is a problem with your connection". Also includes when players are move jerkily. This is caused by: the server, your connection speed, how close the server is to you, whether you have wireless, or a combination of the above.

So don't try and solve conenction problems by turning down graphics.
Just to clarify that, graphical lag is a very different feel to connection lag. It makes movement feel heavier and is usually constant, where as problems with your connection cause more jerky lag.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6439
So to decrease titan lag turn down the settings.
MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6746|EUR

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

So to decrease titan lag turn down the settings.
is it graphical or connection?
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6731
If you suddenly go through walls for a second while "problem with connection comes up" its connection. Servers find it hard to move such a big object and move it exactly the same way 48 times (once for each person). Thus when they mve it sometimes causes conenction lag. The only way to fix this is not to move the Titan.

You can get graphical lag caused by lots of people in close quarters all firing weapons - apparently this happned on Iron Gator (although it never affected me). However, I'm not sure if that applies to Titans.

For a general rule of thumb, you want 30 fps at the minimum while fighting. Turn your graphics up until you hit 30, then stop.
[J5]Dirrty.Magic
+35|6654
I have a 7900GT, settings low, and I still get that strange error where corpses slide around and up walls in the titan, not to mention a laggy feel. I don't think the titan error has much to do with hardware. And if its not hardware...

I think it needs a little code band-aid.
Oronisi
+4|6415
You forgot about server lag... The lag you get when the program the server is running is too taxing on the box and it can't process everything it should in the time expected.  Like when the titan moves and everyone on the server lags out.  Thats not EVERYONE's graphics card lagging out, and it's not everyone's internet connection or the server's ISP connection lagging out, it's the server not being able to process what's being asked of it in a timely fashion.
[J5]Dirrty.Magic
+35|6654

Oronisi wrote:

You forgot about server lag... The lag you get when the program the server is running is too taxing on the box and it can't process everything it should in the time expected.  Like when the titan moves and everyone on the server lags out.  Thats not EVERYONE's graphics card lagging out, and it's not everyone's internet connection or the server's ISP connection lagging out, it's the server not being able to process what's being asked of it in a timely fashion.
Word. The software is too... poorly coded. Sometimes, I imagine, servers are not up to hardware standands, but I still think I blame the software at this point.
JohnnySupreme
+23|6466
The lag on the Titan seems to be related to 2 things.  First, it only happened to me on a full 48 player round and not when in a 16 player round.  Secondly, when it was moving. 

As someone above said, "a big object and move it exactly the same way 48 times".  This is the problem.

I am running the game on a new PC with a Core 2 E6600, 2GB RAM, ATI X1900 GT.  It runs HL2, BF2 and 2142 (accept in moving Titans full of people) at 100+ FPS.  My internet connection is a mere 512 down 256 up and so although the ping was fine, the game lags in Titans.

There is your reason.  Don't fuss with graphics settings, I doubt very much that they are to blame.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard