Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6629|Camp XRay

I was watching the movie Lord of War again today and there were a couple of lines that got me thinking.

Of all the weapons in the vast soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export. After that comes vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists. One thing is for sure, no one was lining up to buy their cars.

Do you know why I do what I do? I mean, there are more prestigeous assignments. Keeping track of nuclear arsenels - you'd thing that more critical to world security. But it's not. No, nine out of ten war victims today are killed with assault rifles and small arms - like yours. Those nuclear weapons sit in their silos. Your AK-47, that's the real weapon of mass destruction.

So what do you think. Should the US be more concerned with chasing down wmd or trying to control the flow of illegal fire arms. I don't know where I stand on this issue really. I would like to hear everyones opinion, and maybe if your not from the US tell us how your country handles illegal gun trade.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6587|SE London

The UK is one of the worlds leading illegal arms dealers. Which I can't say I approve of. If you've just watched Lord of War you will have seen that Cages main rival is British.

There needs to be a massive clamp down on illegal arms trade. Britain, the US, Russia and the former soviet block are the main culprits. Less illegal arms mean more global stability.
IRONCHEF
+385|6497|Northern California
Yeah, I've thought about that too.  But that would mean talking to China, Russia, Romania and other states in that region and get them to stop exporting one of their more lucrative exports.  Also, the ak-47 isn't the one most used, it's the other model (you can tell by the missing indent on the receiver)...i think the '49 model.

That was a cool movie, "no, it's 'warlord'"  "No, I like to be called 'lord of war'..it sounds better."  And it's true, what you quoted above.  You look in crowded markets where militia run things, palestine, pakistan, afghanistan, jordan, syria, etc...they all have racks and racks of weapons for sale.  no 3-day waiting period, no training, no background check....no limits, no age requirement....just make your choice..the 100 round drum ak-74, bull-pup design, dragunov with a scope, or the standard '47 model witha 30 round clip like in BF2! 

When I was in high school, a friend I had moved some guns for a short period of time until he realized what he was doing.  One weapon he got ahold of was a chinese made ak and a couple 30 round clips for it.  we took it to the police range (pre-brady days) and did some test firing but got booted out and almost arrested because it slipped a few times and did a couple bursts (chinese auto-kits don't work well).  anyway, some fool in Oakland paid him $400 for it and that was the last time i got to hold one.  they sure are cool.  i'd love my own dragunov one day..now that bush revoked the brady-bill and assault ban..I can own one now in California and have as big of a clip as I want!
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6651
AK-47 pwns
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6428|San Antonio, TX

Marlboroman82 wrote:

So what do you think. Should the US be more concerned with chasing down wmd or trying to control the flow of illegal fire arms. I don't know where I stand on this issue really. I would like to hear everyones opinion, and maybe if your not from the US tell us how your country handles illegal gun trade.
Again... why should this be the US' job?  Shouldn't NATO or the UN take up that battle... oh wait... we are the police force for both so we may as well... sigh.  Now small countries can hate us even more because we are trying to influence their means of electing officials, or dis-arming their forces.  I say NAY.  Just keep them out of the US.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6629|Camp XRay

yea i own a ak - 47, but i bought i legally and it just  single with a banana clip
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
jonsimon
+224|6501
+1 That movie rocked.
bubbass
humble
+61|6575

blademaster wrote:

AK-47 pwns
Aye, I love my AK-47. It's almost as good as my AR-15
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6448|Stealth City, UK
The problem with the UK is that gunculture is huge and the demand for a gun is pretty big too. Dealers in the UK dont get huge crates with guns in, they gut a small car off a ferry with a few in. The problems not from within the UK, its the British citizen who deals through others to sought out trades from outside of England.....thats the big problem that cant really be helped or stopped by UK police.

ps. I wouldnt read too much into a made up film!
INCSOC
Member since 1984
+113|6685|Denver, CO
Familiarize yourself with the UN Disarmament ... specifically the Firearms Protocol (at the very bottom of the Small Arms and Light Weapons page)

This issue has been addressed a long time ago...

References:
UN - http://www.unog.ch/
Small Arms and Light Weapons

edit: Fixed Secure links

Last edited by INCSOC (2006-10-06 13:27:43)

Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6651|Ohio

bubbass wrote:

blademaster wrote:

AK-47 pwns
Aye, I love my AK-47. It's almost as good as my AR-15
Why the heck did the US army mess with the AR-15? It was freaking amazing already.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6587|SE London

buLLet_t00th wrote:

The problem with the UK is that gunculture is huge and the demand for a gun is pretty big too. Dealers in the UK dont get huge crates with guns in, they gut a small car off a ferry with a few in. The problems not from within the UK, its the British citizen who deals through others to sought out trades from outside of England.....thats the big problem that cant really be helped or stopped by UK police.

ps. I wouldnt read too much into a made up film!
I think you'll find British arms dealing is a very real, very big thing. It's not good, but it is real. They don't sell guns in the UK. They arrange for guns to be sent to 3rd world countries. It's not a problem the British police can solve, but the British government could do a lot more to help prevent it from happening.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk_ … 946403.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/1251829.stm

There are lots of British arms dealers.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6678
US soldiers in Vietnam us to ditch there M-16's and use the AK's.  The first version of the M-16 Jammed constantly.  AK is a wonderful weapon, the kept it simple.
bubbass
humble
+61|6575

Stealth42o wrote:

US soldiers in Vietnam us to ditch there M-16's and use the AK's.  The first version of the M-16 Jammed constantly.  AK is a wonderful weapon, the kept it simple.
They still use AK's. Nothing has changed.
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6704

Marlboroman82 wrote:

yea i own a ak - 47, but i bought i legally and it just  single with a banana clip
I've got a similar one, but it has an apple clip.
(Yes, it's a joke people, Psp isn't retarded)
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6681|Canberra, AUS

bubbass wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

In desert environments, I hope so. AK's pwn in reliability.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
bubbass
humble
+61|6575

Spark wrote:

bubbass wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

In desert environments, I hope so. AK's pwn in reliability.
Yep. One of the best rifles ever built.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6486|Somewhere else

One man with a gun or few can take out a small crowd of people in one area before themself is taken out. that same man can set of a WMD and kill thousands or tens of thousands.... go for the WMD (if that ever happens in honesty)
13rin
+977|6485

Stealth42o wrote:

I saw something on the History channel about that.  It wasn't the fault of the m-16. The problem was that the ammo issued was different from ammo used in testing.  It has been a while since I saw the program, but I want to say that there was an issue with the power in the cartridge getting messed up due to the humidity or something along those lines...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
']['error
Banned
+630|6650|The Netherlands
AK-47 = teh win
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6728|Eastern PA

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

I saw something on the History channel about that.  It wasn't the fault of the m-16. The problem was that the ammo issued was different from ammo used in testing.  It has been a while since I saw the program, but I want to say that there was an issue with the power in the cartridge getting messed up due to the humidity or something along those lines...
If a significant amount of water gets into the barrel it can rupture if fired.

What you're referring to was actually a design flaw with the XM16E1 (renamed M16 upon adoption by the DoD) and the ammunition issued originally. Unlike it's predecessor the M14, the M16 wasn't designed with a chrome-lined bore or chamber that would prevent corrosion in humid conditions, a necessity for SE Asia. This lack of a corrosion resistant design increased the probability of rifle jamming. Aside from that the original 5.56mm ammo issued wasn't manufactured to the correct velocity spec, which caused the Army to change the powder specification. This altered specification ammunition was issued without testing under service conditions and was later found to increase both the cyclic ROF and wear on parts.

Also, troops weren't initially issued proper cleaning supplies with their rifles. (!!)
ts-pulsar
+54|6509

IRONCHEF wrote:

.  i'd love my own dragunov one day..now that bush revoked the brady-bill and assault ban..I can own one now in California and have as big of a clip as I want!
LMAO, you really need to bone up on california law their buddy.  You can't buy magazines with a capacity over ten rounds in california.  And the AK-47 is still illegal, and the dragunov definatly is.

SB23 is the california assault weapon law, look it up.  Basically says anything with a pistol grip and the ability to accept detachable magazines is an assault weapon in california, and if your caught with one, it's a felony and an automatic ten years in jail.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard