Des.Kmal
+917|6617|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Whats the difference between Windows XP Home, Office, Media Center, and Professional... anyone I forgot?

Whats the difference?
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
vjs
+19|6770
Mostly the number of processor supported. Try a google search, you'll get better information there than anywhere else.

Personally

Home - useless since it doesn't support 2 processors not sure if supports dual core AMD either

Office - Never heard of it. (Probably one step down from professional so it's probably O.K.)

Media Center - Can you say bloated

Professional - THis is the best one with everything you need and it doesn't preload a bunch of junk like Media center.
DecJW
Webhoster
+38|6583
media center? CRAP?    I thought it was quite good, (i dont have it though) but only if you have an xbox 360
Des.Kmal
I did a google search.... but all that came up was prices!!

lol
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

Des.Kmal wrote:

lol
this part of a buying decision?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

To most users there is no difference between running XP Home and XP Pro. Since SP 2 the differences became even less. Pro contains more administrative tools but the functionality difference between the two is minimal.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

Kmarion wrote:

To most users there is no difference between running XP Home and XP Pro. Since SP 2 the differences became even less. Pro contains more administrative tools but the functionality difference between the two is minimal.
qfe. if you dont know why need something other than home, then you need home.
Des.Kmal

jsnipy wrote:

Des.Kmal wrote:

lol
this part of a buying decision?
no

lol
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6576|Florida

Des.Kmal wrote:

Whats the difference between Windows XP Home, Office, Media Center, and Professional... anyone I forgot?

Whats the difference?
Well, XP Office is the MS Office suite, with Word, Powerpoint, Outlook etc.  Atleast I have never heard of an operating system called office.  And, if you get an OEM version of XP Home, it runs with minimal background processes, which in my opinion is great.
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6583|England
Home - Different log in screen, few less features (like remote access i think).

Proffessional - Home + bit more businessny bits (eg. remote access, different login).

MCE - Professional (with home login screen) + MCE mode for playing music / videos / media.

Office - Doesnt exist. MS Office is an office suite, NOT an OS.

mmk?
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6749|Chicago.
Des.Kmal
Oh yeah.... office is a program. rofl.

*hides in a corner*
jaymz9350
+54|6576

vjs wrote:

Mostly the number of processor supported. Try a google search, you'll get better information there than anywhere else.

Personally

Home - useless since it doesn't support 2 processors not sure if supports dual core AMD either
home does support all dual core processors
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6437|King Of The Islands

jaymz9350 wrote:

vjs wrote:

Personally

Yeps, it just doesn't support multiple physical processors (MCP?), MMC, Domains, or basically anything 'corporate'

Also I thought MCE was built on Home?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6560|Cheshire, UK

Des.Kmal wrote:

*hides in a corner*
Office is a program, but there is XP Corporate, where I work were lucky to have our own custom built version of XP... Which is nice
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6684|Espoo, Finland

Cheez wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

vjs wrote:

Personally

Yeps, it just doesn't support multiple physical processors (MCP?), MMC, Domains, or basically anything 'corporate'

Just need a comfirmation. Do dual cores like the C2D E6600 work with home edition?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

Gawwad wrote:

Cheez wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

Just need a comfirmation. Do dual cores like the C2D E6600 work with home edition?
Yes.
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6775|Kansas, USA

SkoobyDu wrote:

Des.Kmal wrote:

*hides in a corner*
Office is a program, but there is XP Corporate, where I work were lucky to have our own custom built version of XP... Which is nice
No, there is no XP Corporate. The "Corporate" version is XP Professional it just doesn't require you to activate it. And, your custom version, is something that your company developed using the tools MS makes available to everyone - nothing special about it. BTW: The easiest way to make your own custom installatiion disk of Windows (i.e. service packs & hotfixes integrated, your special twaeks already installed, and much more) is by using nLite (www.nliteos.com).
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6721|Eastern PA
Home only supports a single socket, Professional supports up to 2 sockets. So you can use a dual-core processor (possibly even a quad-core processor) with no problem in home, but more than two physical sockets and you run into problems.

Aside from that XP Home is missing the following:
Remote Desktop
Automated System Recovery
Dynamic Disk Support
Fax Service
IIS Web Server 5.1
Encrypting File System
File-level Access Control
Domain Membership
Group Policy
IntelliMirror
Roaming Profiles
Multi-language Support
Sysprep Support
RIS Support
IPSec User Interface
SNMP
Simple TCP/IP Services
SAP Agent
Client service for NetWare
Network Monitor
Multiple roaming features

EDIT: Media Center contains all of the XP Pro features (except the ability to join a domain) plus additional multi-media features.

Last edited by Masques (2006-10-05 09:28:41)

Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6522|Little blue planet, milky way
Mmmm.... XP pro also comes with a multi CPU license. In theory you have to PAY to use the home for more than 2 CPUs. At least our local translation of home in my country is for 1-2 CPUs only.... Not sure about the "original english" versions. They cost more, so I dont usually bother, unless I get a free copy from work.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard