rmilhous
+32|6545|Augusta, Georgia
Hey I got a quick question for you guys who may have a bit more know-how about the BF2CC and being an admin.
First a little info:

So, about a week or two ago we had someone visiting our server, who obviously had some great *cough* downloaded skills. But when it almost seems too damn obvious, we usually agree to kick/ban someone if we deem it to be neccessary. The real problem was after we banned this guy, he logged back in after putting "ADMIN" in front of his name. We then banned him again for impersonating an admin. Then, about a minute later, he logs BACK in only to have changed his clan title. That is three bans in under 10 minutes.

Now my question is, if we are using BF2CC, and it bans via: Name, key, cd hash, IP address; how the hell is/was this guy still getting on?  If anyone knows the answer to this, will you please let me know so we dont encounter this again? I checked all the settings again to see, and all the items I indicated are still there (ban by key, name, etc...) Am I missing something? And, when I look at the CD Key Hash, it is different with each one of the bans for this guy.

I dont want to post this guys name, but if need be I can, although I dont feel it is neccessary. Please note however, we just don't ban people to have a power trip, we know that we suck sometimes and other times we play pretty well as a team.

Any info from you guys is helpful, especially since I DID search for this info already, but nothing that came up seemed to answer my question.

Thanks in advance,

:NBS:rmilhous
rmilhous
Bump
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6540|Little blue planet, milky way
Only way I can think of is "spoofing". It's an old hackers trick where you send "fake" network packages with information about your identity (essentially, you have a program running, that will alter the contents of the identity like sender info, username or whatever). There are some limitattions to how and what you can spoof because ultimately in a client/server environment the server DOES need to send info BACK to the sender (client) and thus the IP/port should be his original (or a bridge from somewhere else).
Though I've yet to hear of any such thing in BF2, so presumably he's just using what tools he has at hand.

As for tools, I can only guess that you get new CD hash'es because he has a key generator. Seeing as how he chose a new name each time, I'm also guessing that he can't avoid the name ban so it's on the client side he's doing the modification. As for the IP.... Well, if he's not using bridges, then maybe he's on dial-up ? Were the IPs in the same range ? Does the owner(s) of the IPs show any similarity ?

And I'm sorry to say... If he can avoid IP (range) bans, AND the CD hash, then you really have no way of banning a player.
rmilhous
Thanks dude for the info. I also wonder if some pathetic soul wants to use their MSX hax so badly that they would actually go out and buy another game to start over....

Thanks for the info.

rmilhous
majorassult
I <3 ak101
+307|6680|under there hayousaidunderwear
ok....dont bump your posts

And I had an incident like this one time.  Someone was glitching in the hotel so I PERM banned him and 30 seconds later he comes back.  It got me pretty puzzled.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard