mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6740|Sydney, Australia
I just received my second modem, 1st was a dud, for my new ADSL2+ connection. It is rated at 24Mbps.

I have just tried a variety of speed tests and the most I got was 3.0Mbps <---- What the fuck?!

Also, I eagerly tried to login to BF2. I was met with "the server refused your connection" and couldn't proceed past the login page.

The modem's LAN and ONLINE lights are not staying on, they are blinking. This blinking is not at a steady pace. It is a Belkin 1-port modem.

Can anyone help, or should I just call the support line?

Mcminty.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6617|Cheshire. UK
I think you have to put up with that for about 10 days whilst your modem negotiates the best speed for your line
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6565|Doncaster, UK
Yep, I'm in the middle of that at the moment. Just been upgraded from 2Mbps to 8Mbps and I've been recommended to leave the modem turned on and connected for 48 hours so it can test the line and adjust for any loss in connection. Currently at 7.6Mbps so if it stays that way I'll be happy until my AOL *spits* contract is up.
mcminty
I hope your forum nickname is correct - Joker. I'm in the middle of the school holidays for gods sake!

Can anyone confirm this?

Mcminty.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6457|King Of The Islands

You with Exetel? I'm talking to a mate of mine on msn right now, and his ADSL2+ seems to be slow for him. You should check the Whirlpool Forums to see if theres any issues with your ISP.

Distance from your exchange? How fast could your dud modem get?

All else fails, call support.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6513|Sydney, Australia
Mcminty, are you with TPG?
mcminty
I'm with iinet. I'll go to those forums and check it out.

As for my dud modem...

I plugged it in and turned it on. I then turned the computer on. My modem had died before the computer fully booted up. Faulty wiring or something.

Mcminty.
mcminty
^^^ Lol (I can still read it). ^^^

While it Syncs, do I leave the computer on as well as the modem.
eg. I open up a web page and turn off the monitor then come back the next day (it is night time here)?

Mcminty.
Cheez

Just had a look on Whirlpool, not seeing any complaints regarding speeds.

Try going into your modem's config and seeing what your line sync is (also check Down Attenuation, VPI, etc).

What speed tests you used. You tried ozspeedtest? Not sure what they're like but WP recommend them a lot.

Do you know how much your line can handle, distance wise? You can do this equation:
  (Down Attenuation/1381) x 100=your distance in Km's
Then reference this graph

Edit: stupid maths.

Last edited by Cheez (2006-10-03 05:16:44)

DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6565|Doncaster, UK

mcminty wrote:

^^^ Lol (I can still read it). ^^^

While it Syncs, do I leave the computer on as well as the modem.
eg. I open up a web page and turn off the monitor then come back the next day (it is night time here)?

Mcminty.
You shouldn't need the PC turned on, with it being ADSL it should be permanently connected while the modem is turned on. Just don't power off the modem and see what you get.
mcminty
At the moment the control panel is saying:

INTERNET
ADSL:  CONNECTED
Mode:  G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
Upload:  1011 Kbps.
Download:  7886 Kbps.
WAN IP:  124.168.27.237
Subnet Mask:  255.0.0.0
Gateway:  203.55.231.88
Primary DNS:  203.0.178.191
Secondary DNS:  0.0.0.0

At OZspeedtest:
ADSL2+ standard test - 2.7 Mbps
iiNet "cable" test - 5.5Mbps

I also tried to download the TopGear parody from Bf2s. I got a max of 310KB/s.

I looked at Whirlpool. While there are not speed complaints, there are complaints about Belkin Modems

At the moment, I don't really care if my connection is 5.5Mbits or 24Mbits. My main concern is actually being able to log into BF2. Was I not able to log onto the BF2 account server because my connection is currently up shit creek synching?

Mcminty.

EDIT:

Cheez wrote:

Do you know how much your line can handle, distance wise? You can do this equation:
  (Down Attenuation/1381) x 100=your distance in Km's
Then reference this graph

Edit: stupid maths.
Yea, I thought somethign was up with that .

Lets see... that equals 2.67. Is that 2.67km from the exchange? <--- Just looked at the graph. Fuck damn.
capt. crunch
+8|6468|that place
Ping the modem and test the connection there.
mcminty

capt. crunch wrote:

Walk me throught it.

EDIT:
I tried messing with the settings. The operation mode was set to 'automatic'. I changed it specifically to G.992.5 (ADSL2+). Suddenly the connection lights went out. Bad idea. I changed it back and now the line is rated to 8029Kbps.

Hopefully, by tomorrow morning, it should reach the max or around 12-15Mbps. If not, I'll call iiNet and talk to them about it.

EDIT 2:
I found the Runtime code version is 0.27. I guess this is the firmware for the modem. I know at least 0.30 is out and that 0.29 is the best (whirlpool forums). I'll have a look tomorrow morining.

Until then, thanks for all your help. If anything comees to mind, then just say it.

Mcminty.
Cheez

Yeah the graph reckons a theoretical max of 10,000Mbps, you were getting the Top Gear parody at 2.4Mbps. Bit of a difference there.

The BF2 trouble.. it is Tuesday. Thought maybe its that ol' maintenance thing happening?
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6617|Cheshire. UK

mcminty wrote:

I hope your forum nickname is correct - Joker. I'm in the middle of the school holidays for gods sake!

Can anyone confirm this?

Mcminty.
Sorry McMinty...not joking .....for a change...just had to go through it for a poxy 8mb .......on;ly to get 4 and a fart..
mcminty
No problemo.

Hmmm, I shall leave you with some interesting info.

http://www.speedtest.net/ wrote:

Server location - Sydney
Ping - 44ms
Download - 6731Kbps
Upload - 822Kbps

http://www.ozspeedtest.com/tools_speed.shtml wrote:

Internode* 'cable' test:
Download - 6.2Mbps
Upload - 722Kbps
*I chose Node because I play on their servers.

It is getting faster. This is so whacked.

Until tomorrow, Mcminty.
capt. crunch
+8|6468|that place

mcminty wrote:

capt. crunch wrote:

Walk me throught it.

EDIT:
I tried messing with the settings. The operation mode was set to 'automatic'. I changed it specifically to G.992.5 (ADSL2+). Suddenly the connection lights went out. Bad idea. I changed it back and now the line is rated to 8029Kbps.

Hopefully, by tomorrow morning, it should reach the max or around 12-15Mbps. If not, I'll call iiNet and talk to them about it.

EDIT 2:
I found the Runtime code version is 0.27. I guess this is the firmware for the modem. I know at least 0.30 is out and that 0.29 is the best (whirlpool forums). I'll have a look tomorrow morining.

Until then, thanks for all your help. If anything comees to mind, then just say it.

Mcminty.
To ping the modem go to the command prompt, Start, run and then type in CMD then hit ok. In the command prompt type in ipconfig and hit enter. This will pull up your IP address. To ping the modem type in ping and then your IP address and make sure there is a space between ping and the number. Do the same for the default gateway number as well just for the hell of it. Now if there is any packets lost then it maybe an ethernet cord or even your NIC.
mcminty

capt. crunch wrote:

To ping the modem go to the command prompt, Start, run and then type in CMD then hit ok. In the command prompt type in ipconfig and hit enter. This will pull up your IP address. To ping the modem type in ping and then your IP address and make sure there is a space between ping and the number. Do the same for the default gateway number as well just for the hell of it. Now if there is any packets lost then it maybe an ethernet cord or even your NIC.

ADSL control panel wrote:

INTERNET
ADSL:  CONNECTED
Mode:  G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
Upload:  999 Kbps.
Download:  8029 Kbps.
WAN IP:  203.158.62.132
Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0
Gateway:  203.55.231.88
Primary DNS:  203.0.178.191
Secondary DNS:  0.0.0.0
Ping WAN IP: 0ms
Ping Gateway 14ms <---- Could that be a problem?

Mcminty.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard