CrunkAsHell
+0|6833|Canada
oh man, i'm glad this forum is here, gotta vent.

So I bought SF online and downloaded it with the EA downloader. Installed it and patched it. Went to play. WHAT THE FUCK? Verifing Client Data now takes forever (literally, 5+ minutes). I get in (thats, IF I get it, it crashes/disconnects 80% of the time), I get HORRIBLE choppyness which takes quite a while to settle down. So once that passes, hey ok look I can play fine and I fuckin own at this game.

I start to get VERY annoyed at the joining lag/crashes, etc so I figure i'll reinstall BF, mabybe all this patching messed something up. I uninstall everything and reinstall. BF2 then 1.12 then Special Forces... btu WHAT'S THIS? INSERT DISC 1????? I fucking downloaded the game you dumb cunts I don't have any fucking discs.... *le sigh* Cancel Install.

After I talk with the speds at EA tech support, I learn absolutly nothing, and I keep trying to install, and I KEEP GETTING ASKED FOR DISC 1.

So I redownload the entire 1.2gb SF game (which luckly only took 2.5 hours) and HEY, it installs. Things are looking up... right? WRONG.

I get it installed and, low and behold, it STILL takes forever to join servers and it's STILL choppy as all hell, except now, PUNKBUSTER IS KICKING ME BECAUSE IT CAN'T MANAGE TO UPDATE ITSELF.

Good work EA.

NINJA EDIT: AND WHILE I'M HERE, I want to bitch about 1 man squads. WHAT THE FUCK. I always join the squad with the most people to fill them up, WHY CAN'T OTHERS DO THE SAME. It pisses me off to see four or more 1 or 2 man squads.

Last edited by CrunkAsHell (2005-12-06 19:09:43)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6774|Noizyland

Agreed about the squads.
Dammit guys don't buy the dowloader, actually go out and buy the thing. It reduces complications by a considerable amount. Also CrunkAsHell, don't be spoiled. Be thankful for what you have. My computer can barely play Solitair.

Seriously, and it decided to stop reading CDs of any sort the other day. It has nearly become a paper-weight.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
CrunkAsHell
+0|6833|Canada

Tyferra wrote:

Agreed about the squads.
Dammit guys don't buy the dowloader, actually go out and buy the thing. It reduces complications by a considerable amount. Also CrunkAsHell, don't be spoiled. Be thankful for what you have. My computer can barely play Solitair.

Seriously, and it decided to stop reading CDs of any sort the other day. It has nearly become a paper-weight.
Ugh. It's barly running at the moment.
Anima05
+1|6760
doest that happen to everybody here, because I just ordered it. i usually have no problems with normal BF2 so...
DaBigDragon
+3|6740|USA

CrunkAsHell wrote:

PUNKBUSTER IS KICKING ME BECAUSE IT CAN'T MANAGE TO UPDATE ITSELF.
You can go here: http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php and get that to update your punkbuster files. Maybe this will correct that problem.
CrunkAsHell
+0|6833|Canada

DaBigDragon wrote:

CrunkAsHell wrote:

You can go here: http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php and get that to update your punkbuster files. Maybe this will correct that problem.
Thanks, I hope that helped. It said "updating BF2 punkbuster files" so here's hopin.
DaBigDragon
+3|6740|USA

CrunkAsHell wrote:

DaBigDragon wrote:

CrunkAsHell wrote:

Thanks, I hope that helped. It said "updating BF2 punkbuster files" so here's hopin.
You're welcome, glad to help!
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6837
I allways Figure a Four or Five man Squad is.. Up n Running, So I will help someone start another? this is Wrong? I didnt know. Ill join the big ones now.
RKF77
+1|6751

Horseman 77 wrote:

I allways Figure a Four or Five man Squad is.. Up n Running, So I will help someone start another? this is Wrong? I didnt know. Ill join the big ones now.
No, it's not wrong. 

When my friends and I play, sometimes there's just two or three of us...we'll never join some random donkey's squad, because it's better when one of us is squad leader.  I'd MUCH rather be in a two-man squad with a friend of mine than a six-person squad with five donkeys I don't know, running all over the fucking place playing grab-ass.

Seriously...who gives a shit about two-man squads?  What is it hurting?  How is it detracting from gameplay?  Sometimes a two-man squad is appropriate...like when going after commander assets.  Two people attract a hell of a lot less attention than six.  One SpecOps, and one Support-class Squad Leader staying out of the way.
US_JackHammer
+1|6727
2-3 man squads are so much better than fuller squads.. when the squads are small you can leave and rejoin to spawn on whoever is still alive
ShakaZuluKhan
+0|6718|Chicago
Sometime's having a one man squad can be advantageous, for example if you have a really good pilot to send up in an Attack Heli or a Jet. That way you have one squad devoted totally to that area of firepower
CrunkAsHell
+0|6833|Canada
Yeah, but when it's 4-5 one man squads and no one is working together it's stupid.
TehSeraphim
Thread Ender
+58|6723|New Hampshire
I love one man squads.  Personally, from time to time I'm working on certain badges or ribbons, and I need time as squad leader, so I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit in some squad and wait for leader to fall into my lap.  Besides, there's nothing wrong with having a oneman squad.  That squad can still take orders, AND act as a functional spawn point.  Often during a game I will not stay in one squad, but butterfly from one to the next, depending on where the leaders are spawning, if they're capping a flag, etc.  If you want to bitch about one man anything, bitch about one man tankers/apcs/vehicles/helos.
jag1973
Bushwhacker
+1|6844|Tegucigalpa, Honduras
its all about tactics, one man squds as Tehsaraphim explains are great for spawning in far away flags.

Example 1: I always go straight for last flag in Karkand (when on the american side) IF I make it through I form a squad and ask people to join.
Example 2: Im in a single seat jet, one man squad, take orders from commander, bombs away.
Example 3: Additional pair of eyes for commander specially if you have  VOIP.

I'll tell you STUPID things people do:
1. Not giving rides when people go for the same objective, on a car or worse yet take the Seahawk with no passenger with a carrier deck full of transportless soldiers.

In conclusion, I have become a more aggressive player I like to go for an objective, while my teammates are still defending a flag I'll be the one capping one. This is a very dynamic game it requires you to move and take action. Once people spawn on your squad ask them to balance it, have a medic or be one yourself and a support guy if possible, antitank helps a lot too.
Schizferatu
+0|6720|West Central Indiana
Also if the punkbuster update doesnt help, one guy on an earlier thread said the only way he got things goin' was to install BF2, BFSF, and THEN the Patch in that order... wortha  try
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6776|Kansas, USA

CrunkAsHell wrote:

I uninstall everything and reinstall. BF2 then 1.12 then Special Forces...
That was a mistake. The EA site specifically states that if you update to 1.12 then install Special Forces you will have to update to 1.12 again. So it's best to 1) Install BF2, 2) Install SF, 3) Update to 1.12. I for one, had many problems getting the game to log in my acount after downloading and installing SF. But it worked itself out.

By the way, if you downloaded the game the installation files should still be on your PC. I haven't tried burning them off and reinstalling from that, but the folder has an autorun file just as an installation disc would have. Has anyone tried this?

CrunkAsHell wrote:

NINJA EDIT: AND WHILE I'M HERE, I want to bitch about 1 man squads. WHAT THE FUCK. I always join the squad with the most people to fill them up, WHY CAN'T OTHERS DO THE SAME. It pisses me off to see four or more 1 or 2 man squads.
I see nothing wrong with small squads. In fact anything over 3-4 people can be a problem because if the squad leader is in any vehicle (except APC) then not all the members can spawn on him - e.g. traspoerts only hod 3-4. And, as a commander I would rather have several small squads than only a couple large squads. If all I have are a couple of large squads i can only order them to a couple locations. with many squads my options are much greater. I can send a single 1 or 2 member squad to cap a flag that is undefended rather than sending 6. But, I can send mutiple squads to a location if a larger force is needed.
Sud
+0|6747
The 1 man squads are people who are trying to avoid being teamchanged
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

Sud wrote:

The 1 man squads are people who are trying to avoid being teamchanged
Are you more likely to get moved to the other team if you are part of a larger squad?
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6799|Long Beach, CA

CrunkAsHell wrote:

Agreed here, However I have a point here.  Depends what they are doing to consider this lame.  A spec ops guy might have his own squad by himself cuz hes off wreaking havoc on the enemy assets and I may not want to follow him around as a anti tank guy.  I got in a squad and locked it by myself to get my explosives badges, i learned the hard way to not be the leader of a squad and jihad jeep.  flying up to a tank and had 2 teamates spawn in a jump out the jeep rolled up to the tank and BAMMMM  1 kill and 2 TKs.  I felt like a horses ass.  logging squad time leads to ribbons and medals and there is usually enough squads that a few lone wolves dont take up squads others can use.  At least be glad hes in a squad period.  Theres far to many guys not utilizing squads in the first place, you should complain about them instead.  I have been part of a very pointful (fruitful) 2 man squad many times.
Ptfo
superseal17
Banned
+1|6755
works fine for me but then again, my game always crashes after 5 rounds.
vedds
+52|6755|Christchurch New Zealand

TehSeraphim wrote:

Besides, there's nothing wrong with having a oneman squad.  That squad can still take orders, AND act as a functional spawn point.
damn straight

Id rather have one man squadfs on my team than lone wolves. simply because they can ply as part of the team much better. and the commander can interact with them.
RKF77
+1|6751

^DD^GRiPS wrote:

Agreed here, However I have a point here.  Depends what they are doing to consider this lame.  A spec ops guy might have his own squad by himself cuz hes off wreaking havoc on the enemy assets and I may not want to follow him around as a anti tank guy.
This is where it would be useful to have a small box underneath the squad name for that squad's mission.

For instance, you're playing Sharqai, on USMC side.  In the squad screen, you see that Bravo Squad is "attacking assets" and Charlie Squad is "Defending TV station", while Delta Squad is "Mobile flag-capping", or simply, "random killing".

It would make it easier to figure out who you want to play with...make it so the squad's mission could be updated as you go if you want to go re-take a spawn or something.

Maybe I just think this way, but it escapes me how nobody at DICE could have thought about this.  It would absolutely trivial to implement.
Schizferatu
+0|6720|West Central Indiana
When I play Spec Ops I usually make a team called, "Spec Ops A" and lock myself in it.  This way I can get supply drops when I run out of C-4.
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6755|NH - USA
If Im not going to help the squad, I create my own. Makes sense, doesnt it? Sure it does.

Better than not joining one at all, isnt it? Of course it is.

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/PANZER420/monkey_banana.jpg
SargeMcCain
Bleed for me!
+0|6715
What I don't get is why these 1-man squads are so rampant - hell when I see a full squad (3-6 soldiers, different kits) I always start a squad of my own, or join another. More and more I'm encountering those that simply refuse to join any squad I'm in command of - with the exception of a few lone wolfs that don't mind my quiet command nature as SL - but there'll be  another 12 or more Lone Wolfers that simply refuse to create a squad or join one at all.

Ironically enough I've scored my highest MEC BR while as a Lone Wolf Support, due to some jackass Admin creating one squad, locking it, then preventing more quads from being created. Thanks WiH! In any case, I find that moments like this undermine the effectiveness of squads, and perhaps one should get bonus points or something just for playing as a team (I know, team points, but when I can LW as Support and get 93 Team points all by my lonesome, that kinda nulls that right out.), perhaps even a section under BF2s that rates your ability to play in a squad? The other option could be negative impacts on your profile if you play as LW.

As for the SF problem - if you've downloaded SF, I suggest you do indeed burn the files onto a disc (DVD-RWs work well) and install it from there. As menntioned before, the Autorun file will indeed function properly burned to media, and prevents "Insert Disc" warnings, if all else fails.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard