Lawk
+2|6789
I will be building a PC in the near future and I am going AMD proc.  Was trying to decide between the FX-57, which is marketed as the gamers chip or the 4800 dual core.  Currently the dual core can be had for less cost, however current games are single thread and I wouldnt be using the comp for much mult-tasking and the like, just gaming. 

What ja think?  I am swaying towards the dual core because it would be a sufficient processor just as the FX would be and it may be able to support future games even better than the FX.  On the other hand, the FX does run a bit quicker for present gaming.

I know you are getting our have gotten a dual core, chuy.  Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Lawk (2005-12-08 15:12:41)

^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6814|Long Beach, CA
Hmm tough question, I am interested in this also.  When I build my systems I have always gone Intel, which has always done me great. Heck I still dont need to upgrade ANYTHING on my system and its 2 years old this december.  I just Power game mostly.   However, all my researching has lead to me believe my next system will be AMD also.  You should probably check out MaximumPC.com or some of the other PC type websites on reviews and info.
Ptfo
Dopin_Nuts
+1|6768
I am using a 4400+ and i must say that i love it.  Multitasking is unbelieveable, and it's good to have the technology for future games.  Also, I've read that the 4800+ actually did better in games than the FX-57.
AD_Kensan
+7|6800
I have a Dualcore system and I am very satisfied with it. The reason why I bought a dualcore processor, aside that it was cheaper, was that it will last me longer than a singelcore. As software developers will get adjusted to harness the power of multicore systems my processor will be able to bring in it's full potential. In the end you are better set for the future with a dualcore system than a single core one.

Just my 2 cents
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6861|Australia

well if you run virus software and crap like that in the background then a dual core would help with that. dualcore i believe is the way too go..

XBOX.com wrote:

The custom-designed Xbox 360 central processing unit (CPU) runs at a breakneck speed, thanks to its three separate core processors that clock in at 3.2 GHz each

whats up with that kinda over kill?
a game console with more guts than my pc
Lawk
+2|6789

^DD^GRiPS wrote:

Hmm tough question, I am interested in this also.  When I build my systems I have always gone Intel, which has always done me great. Heck I still dont need to upgrade ANYTHING on my system and its 2 years old this december.  I just Power game mostly.   However, all my researching has lead to me believe my next system will be AMD also.  You should probably check out MaximumPC.com or some of the other PC type websites on reviews and info.
I also still use a PC that was built for me about 2.5 years ago and I do run bf2 on it.  Quite well actually and I paid $625.00 for the components including shipping.

I have checked many reviews on both processors and they to go 50/50.  The dual-core leaning towards the future and the FX leaning towards present day gaming.

I am set on going dual core.  This machine will last me even longer than my current one, im guessing.  I believe the main reason is that I will getting the 7800 512mb pci x.  Holy crap I cant wait till its running.
Lawk
+2|6789

Stoned_Smurfz wrote:

well if you run virus software and crap like that in the background then a dual core would help with that. dualcore i believe is the way too go..

XBOX.com wrote:

The custom-designed Xbox 360 central processing unit (CPU) runs at a breakneck speed, thanks to its three separate core processors that clock in at 3.2 GHz each

whats up with that kinda over kill?
a game console with more guts than my pc
Right, but its a console.  IMO consoles suck.  No fun at all.  Who wants to use those lame joystick gamepads.  I have heard that a large percentage of the 360 has been returned due to glitches and crashes.
S4INT05
+1|6745|79605, TX
jesus christ, i saw an XBOX 360 at best buy on an HD screen playing call of duty 2...damn. it looks better on there than on my system.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6743|Australia
You're spending too much, u should buy a X2 3800+ or 4400+, and overclock them, pay less, gain the same amount.

As for the FX, theyre too expensive, and should only be bought if you have extreme phase change cooling for overclocking, coz the FX are the only chips that hav full multiplyers unlocked
Lawk
+2|6789
I like my system to stay stock.  Lets just pretend that money is no issue for the goal I am trying to achieve.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6771|Scotland

Lawk wrote:

I like my system to stay stock.  Lets just pretend that money is no issue for the goal I am trying to achieve.
well then fx-57 all the way. its been tested with games it copes better than the dual-core. go for that one.... its a beauty. and the nvidia geforce 7800. ohh yeah now thats a computer and a half.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6786|Atlanta, GA USA
Personally, I would go for long term use, and in my my mind that means going dual-core.  Since both AMD and Intel have dual-core procs now, I believe more and more apps and games will come out that support multiple threads.  Plus, it will help if you have other apps (like vent or ts) running in the background while you game.
Lawk
+2|6789
Yeah its gonna be kinda sad for me to give up my current system for gaming.  It will reside in my room as my jukebox, but its such a clean machine.  I've been playing BF2 on it for five months or so and it does a great job at low settings.

amd 2200+
Geforce 5600 256mb
1 GB ram

It has handled all the recent cool games.  BF2, Doom, HL2. 

The frame of reference thing is killing me in anticipation though.  Can't wait to see the difference when I get my new system.
Schuy01
+0|6739|Minnsota, United States

atlvolunteer wrote:

Personally, I would go for long term use, and in my my mind that means going dual-core.  Since both AMD and Intel have dual-core procs now, I believe more and more apps and games will come out that support multiple threads.  Plus, it will help if you have other apps (like vent or ts) running in the background while you game.
I completely agree with atlvolunteer on this one.

I'm really a huge Unreal Tourney  Fan (but BF2 owns multi player gameplay), SO.... I'm completely looking forward to Unreal Tech.'s next engine: Unreal 3 Engine (especially since  UT2007 will be using it). They'll be optimizing their new engine for use with dual core cpu's.

And by the looks of it...  just... wow...   O_O

Edit: forgot

Why settle for today's stuff when sometime next year:

AMD's socket M CPU's for ddr2 support will be coming out  , not to mention the possable dual core gpu's! Imaging... dual'n , dual core graphics cards!  Along with the new crop of 16mb cache Hard Drives that just came out... 

Last edited by Schuy01 (2005-12-09 21:56:19)

shingara
+0|6788|the motherland uk
i find this a very weird area, dual core is what i have in my system, its incredibley quick, i dont know how its stands upto the fx stuff, my mate has the fx55 and i find hardly no diffenence between his and mine, infact i think mine is fast but his is better on the graphics being sli'd with twin 7800gtx wher i run 1. but there has to be something in this dual core stuff becuase has anyone else seen whats in the new xbox 360, its a freaking tripple core, TRIPPLE CORE whats going on there
nitro92
I cheat.
+-6|6816|Sydney, Australia
dual core is good but not good for gaming it dusnt do much xtra in gaming but outside of gaming its spectacular fast load times, if ur a 24/7 like me i wud recommend FX-57 and the fx57 is betr than the 4800+ X2 dual core anyway in price and performance wise
yuck7777
+12|6789|USA
Well, I have an alienware aroura with an amd fx 57. This is the greatest for gaming. I've had no problems whats so ever.  Very fast!!!! This things power is unreal. All I do is gaming on it. And with nvidia SLI dual 7800 GTX the graphics can't be any better or faster loading.  Hope this helps you!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6731

Zimmer wrote:

Lawk wrote:

well then fx-57 all the way. its been tested with games it copes better than the dual-core. go for that one.... its a beauty. and the nvidia geforce 7800. ohh yeah now thats a computer and a half.
Core 2 Duo E8500 and 8800GTX. Get with the times zimmer
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6552|Long Island, New York

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Lawk wrote:

....duuuuuuuuuuuuuude. 2 years and 7 months ago? Nice one.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6128|SC | USA |
Lol I read the whole thread not noting that it was 2 yrs old. I was about to say "Why are you deciding on AMD" fanboi post.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6747|St. Andrews / Oslo

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Lawk wrote:

lmao.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6646|Finland

Please refrain from bumping topics.

*mutters*
I need around tree fiddy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard