TehSeraphim
Thread Ender
+58|6730|New Hampshire
Ok, now I know this has most likely already been done, but I figure I'll report because I'm wayy to lazy/ignorant to check to see if it HAS been done.

Most people can agree that the language filter is, well, retarded.  I myself find it ironic that you can stab someone, blow someone up, or shoot them, but you can't say naughty words.  My proposal is this...

Do the same thing America's Army does.  They have an ingame language filter that can be turned on or off, and set a parental lock with a password.  Therefore, if little 10 year old Johnny is stabbing away, but his mother doesn't want him to see naughty words, she sets the filter and any word that is a swear on the game is effectively turned into ****.  If he hears it on VoIP, tough shit - or, you could go a step farther and have VoIP able to be locked as well, so you don't have to HEAR it either.  just an idea.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6781|Noizyland

Not bad. Still, people shouldn't have to do things like that. Swearing is swearing and most likely little 10 year old Jimmy swears like a trooper when he plays anyway.
BF2 is rated T for Teen anyway, what the fuck is little Jimmy doing?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Jester.retseJ
+4|6738|Toronto, On
It IS retarded.

Just got kicked today by pb for telling my teammates that all "our assets were destroyed and i couldn't help with arty/uav" as commander. Was having a good round too.

What a wonderful program pb is when it can't distinguish between ass/assh*le/assets. We learned to do this in computer sci 101 for goodness sakes. Great programming job guys! -applauds-
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6806|Long Beach, CA

TehSeraphim wrote:

Therefore, if little 10 year old Johnny is stabbing away, but his mother doesn't want him to see naughty words,
I about crapped myself with laughter, its so very ironic isnt it.

oh ya, and i was kicked for "omfg" before.  I dont like the filter either.

Last edited by ^DD^GRiPS (2005-12-08 15:16:01)

Ptfo
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6789|The Hague, Holland
I think I played with little 10 year old Johnny once, he owned my ass and called me a sidewalk crack ho .
TrevorP
+0|6800
Fuck the language filter.
TheDrNailsGuy
+5|6723

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

I think I played with little 10 year old Johnny once, he owned my ass and called me a sidewalk crack ho .
You played with little 10 year old johnny?  and he owned your ass?  and called you a ho?  Are you micheal Jackson?  Sorry if my mind was in the gutter on this one.
AFlyingNun
+0|6727
Or a filter for little Johnny, so that when you stab people in the face, rainbows spew out instead of blood!
TheDrNailsGuy
+5|6723
oh, just  a thought.  How about when somthing violent is happening on screen, it goes black?  that way he doesn't have to be exsposed to it!
[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra
Alright, you're good to go!
+124|6735|Honolulu, HI
If ever there have existed more useless lines of code than those that make up the BF2 language filter, I'd like to see them.  I've had the BF2 language filter warn people their "language is unacceptable" when saying things like "wtf" and "omfg", which is retarded since, well, you'd only think it was unacceptable language if you knew what WTF and OMFG stood for.  Plus even if the stupid filter HAD any purpose at all (I think it doesn't), people get around it by saying things like "fu.ck", "fuk", "$hit", and so forth, or they say words that the filter doesn't block (e.g., "douchebag," "c*cksucker").

Anyway, shoudln't EA spend its time fixing that teammates-are-red bug instead of a lang filter??
{USI}_Zombie
+11|6780
I thought the language filter was a function of the bf2c&c daemon.  I have been on some servers where even in their log on it says "keep the racism out, swearing allowed even encouraged!" and other things like that.  Some servers warn and some kick for language, some kick for idle time and some don't, which really annoys me, since it takes such a long time for my client data that by the time I get in, select my unlocks,and my spawn point I am getting kicked for idle time!
  Anyway, I don't like the language filters, but I guess I was mistaken how they work?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6724|Riva, MD
They are just words that express more feeling than normal, why does everybody care.  Why do we have to have the stupid piece of shit FCC in our country to censor sex and drugs and cusses.  Nobody knows what modern children know these days, simple things like cussing and sex don't matter if you're 11 or older.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard