Poll

Do you think legalizing marijuana is a good idea?

Yes, but don't like the idea12%12% - 37
Yes, and I like the idea58%58% - 172
No, i hate the idea23%23% - 69
No, but i liker the idea5%5% - 15
Total: 293
jonsimon
+224|6504

Bertster7 wrote:

SuperSlowYo wrote:

legalization is wrong... then the government has control... DECRIMINALIZATION is the tickets otherwise well be stuck payin taxes to smoke some bunk government controlled weed

Shantibaba (Scott Blakey) FTW
What's wrong with that? Wouldn't you rather money from buying weed went to the government and got spent on things that benefit the country, rather than going to drug dealers?
Not to mention quality controls. Never worry about getting killed or hooked on some tainted weed.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6694|United States of America
Who's the ball-less Swedish meatball who sent me this, "Sweden did a study. Stoned drivers drive better than sober drivers. Look it up. You lose." Karma is rewarding humor, a point, or to be gay. It's not to send an anonymous message.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6694|United States of America
Also, about the driving thing.

http://www.fcda.org/driving.htm

This article supports the statement that it has less of an effect on driving. However, since many people are bad drivers to begin with, I trust you would not care for one to one thousand more bad drivers on the road. If you live in a place with a high school, you can see how bad people are to begin with at driving and if you get them on any drugs or even catch them tired, it's a madhouse.
Git.R.Don3
+2|6511
I bet this kid is a stoner
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6653|Seattle, WA
Ok so I haven't read much of the thread, mainly because I don't feel like reading stoner rants, however I do think we should legalize marijuana, and tax the living bejeezus out of it.  Hey if you want it legal, you're gonna have to pay an assload for it.  Give and take, give and   take.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6479|New York

Aenima_Eyes wrote:

It would be a good thing just because getting in trouble for smoking marijuana is a joke.  Marijuana is actually good for you and other than short term memory loss has 0 side effects. . .except maybe weight gain and laziness.  The researchers here at the University of Texas did some major studies and proved marijuana doesn't increase your risk of getting cancer and is actually pretty good for you.

If it ever does become legalized the government will tax the bejeesus out of it and we could prolly pay off the national debt with the proceeds.  Same thing with gambling too but w/e.
Marijuana is good for you? What? I really hope I'm high on crack right now or something that makes me read wrong, because that may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6775|Cambridge (UK)

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

Aenima_Eyes wrote:

It would be a good thing just because getting in trouble for smoking marijuana is a joke.  Marijuana is actually good for you and other than short term memory loss has 0 side effects. . .except maybe weight gain and laziness.  The researchers here at the University of Texas did some major studies and proved marijuana doesn't increase your risk of getting cancer and is actually pretty good for you.

If it ever does become legalized the government will tax the bejeesus out of it and we could prolly pay off the national debt with the proceeds.  Same thing with gambling too but w/e.
Marijuana is good for you? What? I really hope I'm high on crack right now or something that makes me read wrong, because that may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
http://www.marijuana-uses.com/index.html

BTW, finding that with Google took maybe 10seconds...

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2006-09-25 20:39:36)

JimmyBotswana
+82|6595|Montreal
Legalize hemp while you're at it. Over 100,000 things can be made from hemp, including gasoline and plastic.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6653|Seattle, WA

JimmyBotswana wrote:

Legalize hemp while you're at it. Over 100,000 things can be made from hemp, including gasoline and plastic.
Yeah gas, just take some hemp and use some magic fairy dust you got from FDR inside his rocket wheelchair, and you get gasoline.  Even if you can make some sort of FUEL it will not come close to the purity and effectiveness of GASOLINE processed from crude.
BVC
+325|6705
Legalising it will have the effect of removing any harm caused by its status as an illegal drug.  High taxation would remove some of the benefit of making it legal, and would be easily circumvented by growing your own.

Growing your own would be a good way to avoid quality/taint issues, as would purchase of commercial brands which would no doubt be subject to quality controls.

Marijuana is good as a painkiller, it has anti-nausea properties and is a good relaxant.  It can mess with your mind a bit, so thats why you just don't smoke it if you have a condition or are studying.  I'm studying, so don't smoke it at the moment...I've had surgery recently and could use it as a painkiller but can't because of my self-imposed no-weed stint.  Instead I have to use codeine pills

When I've had weed, I'm less likely to go start a fight than I am after a few beers, or even a few coffees for that matter.

The key to weed not being a problem is to not let it be a problem; know how it affects you and know your limits.  Responsible usage is the key.

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

Yeah gas, just take some hemp and use some magic fairy dust you got from FDR inside his rocket wheelchair, and you get gasoline.  Even if you can make some sort of FUEL it will not come close to the purity and effectiveness of GASOLINE processed from crude.
WHat he says it partly true.  I'm unsure about gasoline, but you can make diesel and motor oil from hemp.

Last edited by Pubic (2006-09-25 21:03:11)

Y-D-Donut?
Want glazed or chocolate?
+2|6651|Puerto Rico

Stealth42o wrote:

Y-D-Donut? wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

Will never happen... period, end of discussion.
at least here in Puerto Rico, local senate are debating the issue right now...  and there's a good possibility that it will be legal next year
Hey don't get me wrong, I think pot (only) should be legal.  I smoked for ten years (Sober for the last 5).

With that said.

They will NEVER legalize it.  Tobacco and alcohol lobbyist will never let it happen.  It cuts into there end (Or so they think).

Remember it's all big business, all about the money.  People stand to lose more then gain, therefore, it will never e legal.  Ever.

Yea I said it, NEVER.  Sorry, just keep growing it in your basement (Or where I live, pretty much everywhere).
No man, didn't got ya wrong. I got the point, just saying whats happening here. I also believe that legalization is something that might never happen in the US, but thank the lord PR is taking it into consideration. Let's see what will happen. 

And by the way: I'm 16 yo and I am marijuana user myself. No physical nor mental dependencies, just for the entertainment and relaxation of the body and mind. Also use it on my sad times, its a very good anti-depressant. And let's not talk about the sleeping... IT helps a lot, more than Lunesta!
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6479|New York

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

Aenima_Eyes wrote:

http://www.marijuana-uses.com/index.html

BTW, finding that with Google took maybe 10seconds...
I was referring to the line, "and is actually pretty good for you." Oh really?  If pot was, "pretty good for you" then it would be legal right now, but obviously it's not legal now is it?

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html

Scroll down to the "Effects on the Brain", "Effects on the Heart", "Effects on the Lungs", " Effects of Exposure During Pregnancy".  Well then, I guess that proves that marijuana is "pretty good for you", right? Moron.

BTW, finding that with Google took maybe 10 seconds...
JimmyBotswana
+82|6595|Montreal

Pubic wrote:

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

WHat he says it partly true.  I'm unsure about gasoline, but you can make diesel and motor oil from hemp.
Fact: Raw hemp oil will power a diesel engine. Look it up.

There is a very famous phrase hemp activists like to quote. Whatever you can make from a hydrocarbon (oil) you can make from a carbohydrate (hemp.)
Reciprocity
+721|6590|the dank(super) side of Oregon
smoking weed is no different than drinking alcohol. 

The twinkie and Cheetos lobby will never be able to outspend the alcohol, pharmaceutical and probably tobacco lobby.  even though most of the weed smokers i know are also tobacco chimneys.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6850|Cologne, Germany

well, I am pretty sure the alcohol and tobacco lobbies would foul any attempt to legalize MJ. Although I really can't see why they would want to, since all the MJ users I know also drink alcohol and smoke regular cigarettes.

I believe legalization would help tremendously with drug related crime, it would raise tax income for the government, and it would most likely make MJ use safer through industrial quality control. But you'd still have to deal with the homegrown stuff.

Driving under the influence would still have to be forbidden. It's still a drug, and if you have had too much of it, you shouldn't be driving. No difference to alcohol for me here.

It's all about responsible use, really. Alcohol, cigarettes, MJ all have the potential to be harmful to your health and be addictive, if you consume too much of it. Believe me, I know a lot of long-time weed smokers, and I don't believe that "I could stop any day, if I wanted to" crap for one second.

As has been said before, sometimes people need to be protected from themselves. that's certainly true for some of the harder drugs, and other things, like handguns, or certain chemicals. You'll acknowledge that access to and possession of said things is and must be restricted for reasons of public safety, at least to a certain degree. And that has nothing to do with your government "interfering" with your affairs. Public safety is what the government is there for.

In the end, it's a cultural issue. Cultural values change over time, and that includes the acceptability of certain drugs among society.
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
+433|6688|In You Endo- Stoke
Legalize it,then tax it i would be happy to pay tax on weed as long as there is a constant supply.Then police can work on drugs that need to be off the streets.I would rather smoke a joint and relax after work and would prefer not to worry about the police knocking on my door.
sparrowpisuke
Fractalman
+27|6455|Barcelona
Any thing that kills neurons is a bad thing.
The question is, must a government take responsibility of the health of its population?
If the answer is yes, legalize isn't possible.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6594|Seattle
I smoke pot all the time and still manage to make more sense in these forums than the rest of you.
Ranger0405
+3|6757|Cali, USA
There are alot of clubs In cali . Its natural . 
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

jonsimon wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

SuperSlowYo wrote:

legalization is wrong... then the government has control... DECRIMINALIZATION is the tickets otherwise well be stuck payin taxes to smoke some bunk government controlled weed

Shantibaba (Scott Blakey) FTW
What's wrong with that? Wouldn't you rather money from buying weed went to the government and got spent on things that benefit the country, rather than going to drug dealers?
Not to mention quality controls. Never worry about getting killed or hooked on some tainted weed.
You don't get killed by tainted weed.

sparrowpisuke wrote:

Any thing that kills neurons is a bad thing.
Cannaboids don't kill neurons. They actually promote neurongenesis in cases of heavy usage, at least in mice. Alcohol does kill neurons and destroys the liver, it is also significantly more addictive. Yet that is legal, except in backwards Islamic states. THC can block receptors in the brain which produce chemicals to combat mental health issues, many people claim cannabis causes mental health problems, which is not true, what is true is that if you're a stoner and you happen to go nuts, then you're more fucked than you would be otherwise.

B.Schuss wrote:

I am pretty sure the alcohol and tobacco lobbies would foul any attempt to legalize MJ. Although I really can't see why they would want to, since all the MJ users I know also drink alcohol and smoke regular cigarettes.
I don't smoke cigarettes, I don't see the point. I do still buy cigarettes though and if I didn't have any weed I wouldn't. I can't imagine that I (or anybody else) would buy less alcohol if weed was legalised.

Driving while stoned is not really in the same league as driving drunk. It is still wrong and you can't control the car as well as you could sober, but it makes you nervous of crashing, you drive slowly and cautiously and are quite aware that you cannot control the car properly.
gga43ta234t2
+0|6440
yea of course, let all the mentally unstable people smoke it and commit suicide great idea I think, i mean i thought it was pretty rofl when a close friend commited suicide by dousing himself in petrol and igniting it. 6 hours flight to an emergency ward, 2 hours declared, he died from 5th degree burns HOW FUCKING HILARIOUS IS THAT!??!?!

Last edited by gga43ta234t2 (2006-09-26 06:47:47)

Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6601|Scarborough Yorkshire England
If weed is legalised governments will tax it to death, therefore we will still go to our drug dealers to buy weed cos it will still be cheaper than government weed.  The government will also only want to supply shit weed so we arn't all totally F**k*d up, they will want to control what weed we smoke.  I agree with decrimilization as the only way forward (like the dutch).
Personnally I don't think weed should be legalised or decriminalised, and I sure as hell don't think others should be encouraged to smoke.

i used to smoke 10 waterpipes per day for 5 years. believe or not, i got big mental and physical(!) problems. so, i would say no!
A very common problem with regular tokers, I have 2 friends that ended up in psychiatric hospitals due to weed.

Weed is a very demotivating drug and makes you LAZY as sin.
Legalise it and a large part of your nation turn into lazy bastards, unemployed ain't gonna go get a job just roll another doobie and worry about a job tomorrow.
I swear down pot smokers motto "I'll do it tomorrow"

Anyway I am a smoker
We've done this debate before and I got flamed to death
my opinion
flame away dudes

Last edited by Jinto-sk (2006-09-26 07:05:56)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Jinto-sk wrote:

If weed is legalised governments will tax it to death, therefore we will still go to our drug dealers to buy weed cos it will still be cheaper than government weed.  The government will also only want to supply shit weed so we arn't all totally F**k*d up, they will want to control what weed we smoke.  I agree with decrimilization as the only way forward (like the dutch).
Personnally I don't think weed should be legalised or decriminalised, and I sure as hell don't think others should be encouraged to smoke.

i used to smoke 10 waterpipes per day for 5 years. believe or not, i got big mental and physical(!) problems. so, i would say no!
A very common problem with regular tokers, I have 2 friends that ended up in psychiatric hospitals due to weed.

Weed is a very demotivating drug and makes you LAZY as sin.
Legalise it and a large part of your nation turn into lazy bastards, unemployed ain't gonna go get a job just roll another doobie and worry about a job tomorrow.
I swear down pot smokers motto "I'll do it tomorrow"

Anyway I am a smoker
We've done this debate before and I got flamed to death
my opinion
flame away dudes
If it's legalised the government wouldn't be in control of the distribution. It would be handled by private companies, who would want to deliver a high quality product at a competitive price to keep their profits high.

I agree totally about the 'I'll do it tomorrow' attitude that leads to stoned apathy - but alcohol has simillar life changing effects.

Mental health issues are not caused by weed. You are just far less well equiped to cope if you do have mental health problems after prolonged regular usage. If you are at all mentally unstable, don't smoke weed. Naturally there would need to be health warnings on weed that was bought under any legal system in a simillar manner to cigarettes.
bf2_zspyvin
+17|6694|The Netherlands
Allready is....
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

bf2_zspyvin wrote:

Allready is....
In my experience it seems to work very well over there too.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard