<eN>Madcat
+2|6849
What grade are you in buddy? you sound like a twelve year old.
Seventh-Monkey
+1|6738
My verification time has gone from about forty-five seconds pre-patch to about five now. I don't have SF yet, just the new patch. A gig of RAM, medium settings, a 2400+ XP at 2.3GHz (~a 3300+), and a 9800 Pro 128MB.
blackcracka
+18|6778

chuyskywalker wrote:

woot for my dual raptors in raid 1
raid 1? why the hell would you do that.. kinda stupid waste of a raptor, if you wanted data integrity you should have bought a backup system instead.
Consollus
+21|6733|Sweden
Yesterday when i played BF2: SF something very strange happened! The client data verification only tooked 2-3 seconds! It normally takes about 3 minutes for me!

O_o
Toaster1976
+0|6733

<eN>Madcat wrote:

What grade are you in buddy? you sound like a twelve year old.
A twelve year old would have no problem figuring out that he/she is from Finland, as it says it ~directly~ under their name.

Anyway.....buy more ram.  o.0

Last edited by Toaster1976 (2005-11-28 17:12:25)

RudeBwoySoldier
+0|6730
Verifing client data is 100% down to RAM. Audio uses quite alot of RAM so if you don't have much turm your music off and your sound quality to low. This will drastically reduce the ammount of time it takes to verify client.

Hope this helps.

BTW been lurking for a while now, great forums
KristianSax
+0|6732
Well my story is the following.
Intitially the game, map loading and verification times were about a minute or two.
Then at some point they dropped to close to nothing. Then went up again and then down.
I have played around with the video settings a couple of times but don't recall whether the changes were consistent with laoding time changes.
Recently I formated C: and reinstalled everything. Again the loading times vary.
Two days ago I went from 512 mb mem to 1.5 gig but didn't see a significant change in loading times.
Are you absolutely sure that this is somehow connected with the hardware?
Adding memory is the only HW change recently and when the loading times were donw i couldn't board with much free HDD space (2x80g and one 250g) and i had 10gig free on the drive where BF2 was installed.
{H:O:G}Craz
+0|6730
My thoughts on this would be the amount of RAM each pc has.  PC speed would have some issues, but mainly RAM.
SargeX_au
+29|6760
I have 512 ram atm and no sound card and verifying client data is extreme, especially in SF. Tmrw i'm picking up the 2 gigs of ram i ordered and a sound card. I'm getting rid of the 512 in there already so this 2 gig can run in..err..dual mode, or wuteva its called. This will fix it hopefully.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6729|Sydney, Australia

orb99 wrote:

by the way if you want to find out what your HDD is set at, just in case you wanted to check yours out, it's :

Start > my computer > control panel > system > hardware (tab) > device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controller > Primary IDE > goto advanced settings tab

and you should see it there.  Choose DMA/UDMA if not already on.
GOD DAM PIO. NO WONDER IT CAN TAKE UP TO 10 MINUTES TO VERIFY!

My biggest problem when playing BF2 is the loading/veryfying times. On most 2 round maps, I will have just gotten into the game when the 2nd round begins .

It's weird cause I have:

-P4 3.0GHz with that hyper threading thing
-1Gb ram (dunno what type)
-Radeon 128mb 9800Pro

My hard drive isn't the newer type.

Are you guys saying that if I change from PIO to DMA/UDMA, my loading/verifying times my significantly drop?

Also, if I change it, will there be any effect to the way my computer runs? Could I run into trouble?
RudeBwoySoldier
+0|6730

mcminty wrote:

orb99 wrote:

by the way if you want to find out what your HDD is set at, just in case you wanted to check yours out, it's :

Start > my computer > control panel > system > hardware (tab) > device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controller > Primary IDE > goto advanced settings tab

and you should see it there.  Choose DMA/UDMA if not already on.
GOD DAM PIO. NO WONDER IT CAN TAKE UP TO 10 MINUTES TO VERIFY!

My biggest problem when playing BF2 is the loading/veryfying times. On most 2 round maps, I will have just gotten into the game when the 2nd round begins .

It's weird cause I have:

-P4 3.0GHz with that hyper threading thing
-1Gb ram (dunno what type)
-Radeon 128mb 9800Pro

My hard drive isn't the newer type.

Are you guys saying that if I change from PIO to DMA/UDMA, my loading/verifying times my significantly drop?

Also, if I change it, will there be any effect to the way my computer runs? Could I run into trouble?
I've got a lower spec system and my verifying time has recently gone very low. From 5 minutes to 5 seconds.

My spec:

-Athlon 1800xp
-756MB pc2100 ddr ram
-Radeon 128 9800pro
-40 Maxtor drive dual booted with  pro XP (20/20 partition)

Always had my graphics settings at lowest. Don't know if it's just coincidence but I started getting lower verifying times when I turned VOIP off, audio to low (software) and my music off. Turn turning your music to 0 and see what happens.
<eN>Madcat
+2|6849
FORMATTED C, TIME GONE, BF2 NOT ON C, end of story
mongodv8
+1|6817

RudeBwoySoldier wrote:

Verifing client data is 100% down to RAM.
Not true. I had this problem also. It turned out that XP turned my hardrive down to PIO mode. I fixed that and all is well again. this problem  ( with XP ) was supposed to be fixed with Service Pack 2. For those of you that also have this PIO mode problem the first thing to try is to uninstall your IDE drivers. Reboot and they will reinstall and your drive may be back in DMA mode. If anyone wants more info I'll post later.
SargeX_au
+29|6760
Yep, I am another happy ram customer. I previously had 512 ram. I threw it out and bought OCZ 2gigs running in dual mode. With 512 ram, verifying data took 4-5 minutes sometimes. Now....it takes 10 seconds sometimes. I'm usually around the 4th, 5th person to load a new map on a 64 player server compared to 64th before. The 2 gigs costed $375......($AUS)...Pretty good i think, got it from gamedude.com.au  = Cheapest PC site i know.

Last edited by SargeX_au (2005-12-08 01:58:33)

Seventh-Monkey
+1|6738

blackcracka wrote:

chuyskywalker wrote:

woot for my dual raptors in raid 1
raid 1? why the hell would you do that.. kinda stupid waste of a raptor, if you wanted data integrity you should have bought a backup system instead.
chuy corrected himself a page or two ago.

On-topic, I had long-ish (~45s) verify times before I got the SF-fixin' patch. Then went down to about ten seconds for a couple of times, and has since gone back up consistently to the half a minute or so mark.

I think it's probably server-related in some cases. Look how long some servers take to return the player list to the server browser.
<eN>Madcat
+2|6849
5 pages and we know nothing, man, is this on any EA or DIce forums? have they explained anyhting about it?
xaven
+25|6741|Berlin
my experience is:

connecting to a win server --> verifying time = ages
connecting to a linux server --> verifying = 5 secs
connecting to a 64er server --> verifying = 5 secs

no idea about HDD speed, sATA, raid etc., but i removed all the crappy win servers from my favorite list.

athlon xp 3200+
radeon x850pro
80gb / 3 paritions pATA
1 gig of ram
Echo
WOoKie
+383|6728|The Netherlands
loading a map usually takes about a minute, verify client data is about 1,5 minutes and once in a while about 5 sec.

p4 2,5 ghz
asus radeon 9600
120 gb/7200 tpm 8mb cache
512 mb ram

Last edited by General-Echo (2005-12-22 15:33:39)

insanemotherfucker
+0|6717

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

I'm going to sticky this to make sure enough people get a chance to take the survey, and hopefully get some answers as to why it takes so long to verify.
OMG! he didnt write in pink Its a miracle
RudeBwoySoldier
+0|6730
Just figured out how I got my verifying time from 5 mins to 5 seconds. Simply by going on Linux servers. If I go on standard servers running Windows as their OS, it takes 5 mins to verify client data but if I go into servers running on Linux I get in within 10 seconds. Not an explanation but a work around. EA France servers all run on Linux, give them a try if you've got high verifying times, or just look for servers with the little penguin logo.

Hope this helps.
<eN>Madcat
+2|6849
maybe formatting did not help at all, maybe its just that every server i joined runs on linux.
I also think formatting actually deleted all my IDE drivers and finally set them into DMA not PIO.
Heffty
+9|6776|Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Started playing the game in June with 512MB Ram on an 80G harddrive with X800XL and 3200+ XP processor. I then upgraded the ram to 1.5G and there was a big improvement. From that I actually went to 2G and noticed no difference whatsoever. Then I upgraded my harddrive to a 74G Raptor and wow...huge difference. I hear the new SATA2 Raptor is just around the corner. If I had a newer system with SATA2 capabilities I would go for that Raptor, but the 74G will do for now.

All in all, if you have 1G of ram and you're thinking of spending another $100-150 on more ram don't bother. Buy a used 74G Raptor and you will be much happier. I bought my used Raptor for $160CND.
TWITCH
+0|6700
Hi there, my load time is nearly always the same at about 38 seconds and the verify time is about 12-15 seconds. I think that the loading of the game is hard drive related and the verifying time is down to memory speeds and processor??? Obviously I could be VERY wrong!!

Last edited by TWITCH (2005-12-31 10:38:50)

1stW@sp
+0|6700
1g ram is what current motherboards can understand...another matter, today i couldnt login to my ea acount..i ask you why..?? newyear celebration?  and i got the purple heart 3 times now..it says 1..?Happy new year too ya all..bunnyhoppers statspadders spawnkillers cheaters...i wouldnt have so much fun with out ya...but it would be nice to know how a real honest game would be like.
Drunkaholic
+4|6732
I remember one time when I verified in 5 seconds (and no, it wasn't in between rounds).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard