• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • 7950 GX2 simply does not perform as well as the x1900 xtx
Uberge
Sigs are for n00bs
+17|6450|Sydney, Australia
the 7950 generally doesnt peform as well as you would think that i could. Sticky taping two cards together and adding 50 to the model number is all good and well, but it comes with a whole heap of issues associated with the two cards interfacing with each other. Because of this you lose performance, so yes you have a gig of ram, but that gig is not running as good as it could be if it were doing it one its own. I believe you will almost get as good or better performance from a single 7900GTX.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6714|New York

Uberge wrote:

the 7950 generally doesnt peform as well as you would think that i could. Sticky taping two cards together and adding 50 to the model number is all good and well, but it comes with a whole heap of issues associated with the two cards interfacing with each other. Because of this you lose performance, so yes you have a gig of ram, but that gig is not running as good as it could be if it were doing it one its own. I believe you will almost get as good or better performance from a single 7900GTX.
Very true, Mainly because When you get into higher amounts of memory on a Vidio card, you get slower memory also.

A single vidio card like you mention, tweaked system, and possibly bypassing the pagefile if you dont have a RAID setup or an SATA HD, would probably work out better in the end.

+1
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

vpyroman wrote:

That's the nicest desk I've seen in a long while. Just make sure you've got enough power in general to run the card.
Ty, 650 Watts so I think I'm good. With regards to power supply I hooked each gpu to it's own supply. My buddy has the same card but he has it connected to only one gpu. His card is not performing well at all. He said he is getting black spots while playing and immediatly my thought was it was running hot. He checked the temp and he said it was 64c which i thought was pretty high considering mine is at 32c. I wonder if it's the way he has it wired.

Edit:I'm guessing he need to check and see if both fans are running.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-09-24 18:58:35)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

Uberge wrote:

I believe you will almost get as good or better performance from a single 7900GTX.
Unfortunatly every benchmark I have seen tends to disagree with you. I would say lets compare some benchmarks but it would not be apples to apples regarding the rest of the system specs.

Here is a direct comparison to your claim that the single 7900 gtx performs as good or better.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/7900vs7950/4

It seems to be on the more advanced games at higher resolutions the 7950 pulls ahead significantly. Considering I have a 24 inch ws monitor I usually run games at the highest res. I can see that the 7950 is the card to go with.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-09-24 19:20:17)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Uberge
Sigs are for n00bs
+17|6450|Sydney, Australia

Kmarion wrote:

Uberge wrote:

I believe you will almost get as good or better performance from a single 7900GTX.
Unfortunatly every benchmark I have seen tends to disagree with you. I would say lets compare some benchmarks but it would not be apples to apples regarding the rest of the system specs.

Here is a direct comparison to your claim that the single 7900 gtx performs as good or better.

It seems to be on the more advanced games at higher resolutions the 7950 pulls ahead significantly. Considering I have a 24 inch ws monitor I usually run games at the highest res. I can see that the 7950 is the card to go with.
You cannot compare them like that, it is quite obvious that in testing the 7950 is going to out perform the 7900 hands down merely because it has twice the ram FFS 512mb compared to 1024  no matter how you look at is going to be more, but sometime more doesnt not mean better. If you are to compare the two cards for an overall performance porpotionatly to their quantity of ram, the single 7900 out-performs the 7950 hands down. If you have the need for more than 512mb ram for anything more than greed and bragging rights then a set up with  2x 7900gtx in SLI will provide much better results.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6764|Toronto, ON
The 7950 GX2 has poor driver optimization.  Considering that it only beats an X1900XTX barely when in fact we should see performance around 1.5 fold.

It even loses to a single X1950XTX for nearly all benchmarks and games, OpenGL is still slightly faster though...

It just doesn't scale good at all, even the Quad SLI has issues with performance, it's NOWHERE near 4x let alone 3x.
Alpha as fuck.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

Nyte wrote:

The 7950 GX2 has poor driver optimization.  Considering that it only beats an X1900XTX barely when in fact we should see performance around 1.5 fold.

It even loses to a single X1950XTX for nearly all benchmarks and games, OpenGL is still slightly faster though...

It just doesn't scale good at all, even the Quad SLI has issues with performance, it's NOWHERE near 4x let alone 3x.
It all depends really on what your looking at. Like I said the higher resolution test the 7950 is beating it by a large margin, period. On a game like bf2 you simply are not going to see a difference (I rarely see less than 100 fps in bf2). I have had ati for  ears and take a look at the title of this thread. I have both cards and I really thought I was getting better performance out of the 1900. Games simply don't need a gig of memory so I was leaning towards the clock speeds instead. I'm not "loyal" to any brand, only the top performing one when I go to buy . I think in the near future we will be seeing more multiple gpu's on a single card without "crossfires" or "sli" setups. ATI has already said to expect a surprise with it dx10 cards. I think if ATI puts out a multi-gpu option on a single card they will smoke Nvdia.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6784|PNW

Only comment:

Alienware chassis look goofy.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6714|New York

Uberge wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Uberge wrote:

You cannot compare them like that, it is quite obvious that in testing the 7950 is going to out perform the 7900 hands down merely because it has twice the ram FFS 512mb compared to 1024  no matter how you look at is going to be more, but sometime more doesnt not mean better. If you are to compare the two cards for an overall performance porpotionatly to their quantity of ram, the single 7900 out-performs the 7950 hands down. If you have the need for more than 512mb ram for anything more than greed and bragging rights then a set up with  2x 7900gtx in SLI will provide much better results.
Your anaology on the duel 7900GTX in SLI is spot on It will tear up the stacked 1gig card for sure.

+1
lehter
+4|6461

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Uberge wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Your anaology on the duel 7900GTX in SLI is spot on It will tear up the stacked 1gig card for sure.

+1
7950GX2 is in essence two 7900GT's in SLI. Two 7900GTX's in SLI will score better because they're clocked higher (both GPU and RAM) than 7950GX2. 7950 is clocked around 500-550MHz, 7900GTX is 650MHz. Memclocks are 600MHz vs. 800MHz. Can't remember possible differences in the cores (number of pipes etc.)...

Also, since 7950 is nothing more than an integrated SLI solution, it has as much vid ram as two separate 7900's in SLI. That is, 512MB, not 1GB.

The reason 7950 is so popular is that it gives the power of an SLI solution in one single card. Yes, on lower resolutions it's not worth it, but shows it's muscles in higher resolutions. Think about single 7900GTX vs. 2x7900GT's in SLI.

If the 7950GX2 had two 7900GTX cores cloced at 650MHz, the 7950 would have the potential to beat two separate 7900GTX's in SLI due to the fact that the interconnecting can be optimized better, and you get 16x PCIe into the card instead of 8x in two cards. This is good because if core #1 needs alot of data NOW, and core#2 is busy with the data it has, it can benefit from the 16x bus. In SLI system, the cores are always bound by the 8x bus. This is however theoretical, as I think at the moment even the 8x bus is never the bottleneck...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

Agreed but I did not want to buy 2 dx9 cards at this time. I think everyone knows why.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Des.Kmal
+917|6630|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
What are the clock speeds on those? List them plz. I am thinking, as you said, games dont need 1GB RAM, so the faster clocks/pixel pipelines will run ahead.
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

I'll check in a sec but I can tell you off the top of my head the difference is that there is not a single gpu on the 7950.. more than one "clock" sharing the work.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

Core Bus 500 mhz x's 2
Memory bus 605 x's 2
(Stock)
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6702|Tampa Bay Florida
As someone who doesn't know much about what you're all talking about..

If all I want is high graphics with almost no lag, the 7950 GX2 would do just fine?  I'm not into comparisons... by the looks of it they differ in so many ways... some say it runs slower, others say it runs faster resolution wise... etc.  So a 7950 GX2 will definately run the game fast?  What about with an extra 4 gigs of ram?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6594|SE London

Spearhead wrote:

If all I want is high graphics with almost no lag, the 7950 GX2 would do just fine?  I'm not into comparisons... by the looks of it they differ in so many ways... some say it runs slower, others say it runs faster resolution wise... etc.  So a 7950 GX2 will definately run the game fast?  What about with an extra 4 gigs of ram?
It'll be fast. Very fast. Unless you want to run at ludicrous resolutions on gigantic monitors. Even then it'll still be pretty damn quick.
doc. josh
+48|6557
u need to get quad sli 4 that mother... I wonder id t 7900GTX's would prefprm as good as a single 7950 GX2

Last edited by doc. josh (2006-09-25 17:31:17)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

Spearhead wrote:

If all I want is high graphics with almost no lag, the 7950 GX2 would do just fine?  I'm not into comparisons... by the looks of it they differ in so many ways... some say it runs slower, others say it runs faster resolution wise... etc.  So a 7950 GX2 will definitely run the game fast?  What about with an extra 4 gigs of ram?
The 7950 gx2 will do just fine. We are just saying that the performance difference is really noticeable on higher resolutions. I have a 24 inch ultrasharp widescreen so in games like FEAR or other more challenging graphic intense games the single card solution is the 7950. As far as the ram it is more for the future. I have Vista installed on my other machine but I am not quite prepared to move it over to this one. This one is on XP pro and although I am only seeing 3 gigs when looking at it through xp the other gig seems to not be there but I believe it is allocated to virtual memory. Someone else could probably chime in and give you a better explanation on the ram.

As far as the quad sli that someone suggested, Like I said before I can't see setting up a multiple sli system based on dx9 which will be outdated in a year.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-09-25 18:45:12)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6702|Tampa Bay Florida
Thanks.

Ya, my plan is to get the 7950 GX2 with my new PC, and maybe a year from now I'll upgrade to one of the new DX10 cards.
bslapper
+7|6659|Auckland New Zealand
HEY  nice set up pal  Very simular to mine  except in running Quad sli   with a fx62 same raptors in raid , i admit i need better ram maybe geil or something
Have to say i have absolutly no problems with mine thanks to the new sli drivers there is only one HUGE problem i see in your system  BF2 doesnt support widescreen   gotta make me laugh and there isnt a decent low MS high res screen built for 7950 cards yet well maybe there is now Who knows  tell me
If ya want ill get a screeny
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

Ty, I am not considering sli until some DX10 cards come out. It would be a waste and a shame to have to replace four cards in my opinion. From what I hear Nvidia's will be out mid-November. BF2 looks fine for me at 1600x1200
http://stormsurge.us/ss/screen011.png
http://stormsurge.us/ss/screen009.png
Make sure ya zoom .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

superfly_cox wrote:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2812&p=4
Oh yea , I don't see the 7950 gx2 in any of those test.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
alpinestar
+304|6608|New York City baby.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6613|132 and Bush

Not yet..lol.
I'm not prepared to trash the warranty.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech »