DeZwarteMaan
+10|6683|Texas
I've been fairly skilled with a chopper for some time, but I'm always finding ways to improve my pilot skills. I only recently started devoting chopper time nightly, and found that there are TONS of people out there who cant fly, and cant gun.

I figure someone out here needed to put the word out on how to be a better gunner.  Plus, why not make it a topic to find out what others think about their gunners, and what others might like to see in their gunners performance.

Who knows, a gunner might read this, be on a server with me.. and walla... actually meld with my flying style.

Rules:
1. Communication:   This is a key element in a good squad. This also applies to a well greased Chopper team. Minimally, join your Pilots Squad. Hopefully the server that you are on supports VOIP, and you own a Microphone. If you cant VOIP, or Teamspeak then don't  get in the chopper. You are a liability, and you will be the reason the chopper dies... fast.

2. Eyes and Ears: Scan the Horizon, Use the F10-F11 view screens. Let your pilot know if an enemy gunship is on his tail. If you spot a Tank, express "Armor, 6 o'clock 20 degrees declination". Learn some kind of code speak. Work with your pilot and He will get you those TV shots and kills.  Please, do not waste your time sitting in the chair gunning in random directions.. and only using the chain gun view. If you have spotted an Armor or some kind of threat.. instantly change the view to the TV missile. Get ready to fire. You have variably 3-5 seconds before a Tank can hear a chopper spot aim and kill you in one shot.  Do not hesitate. Aim and click. BTW "C" command has an alternate nose camera view and the front chopper nose disappears, assuming the admin didn't disable it. You can see better... trust me.

3. Aiming:  Moving vehicles are... well.. Moving. If you aim at their midsection to tail, you will miss. Lead them, it makes for better hits.

4. Missile flights: when you launch your TV..  The missile flies off the rail about 5-8 feet before adjusting course and automatically veering to the place you clicked. Assuming you have proper distance. Don't continually click your mouse, it does no good and it will eventually cause you missiles to miss more often. Micromanagement of missiles is a science. Practice on stationary targets like signs, tree's.
     Heaven forbid you EVER test fire a TV missile as your Pilot is coming in to the landing pad to heal. There is splash damage. The TV will KILL YOU. I cant stand this and I will TK you for idiocy.

5. Chain gun: It overheats. Don't use it on full tilt. It will become a useless piece of junk and you will be the reason we die. Aim your chain gun slightly in the front of the vehicle or person. Shoot small short bursts of 2-4 seconds. If the gun is at 1/2 heat, lower the number of seconds in spurt. this will maximize your ability to fire. Practice as a Support with a PKM. You'll get to understand barrel overheating.

5. Watch your HUD: Thats the small map in the upper right of your combat screen. It shows friendlies in Blue. It shows enemy in red if spotted. Hit your "M" key to bring up the overhead map.  if the Chopper is headed towards red, ten your pilot has a bead on an enemy target. Could be a Tank, could be a Mobile AA. Get your TV up and be ready. Don't wait for your pilot. If he stops for 1 second and that Tank is in your view. Click and bombs away. I have a couple of gunners in my teamspeak. We've coasted thru the gully on Ghost town, and come up and over buildings with merely 1/2 a second of window and they fire. blam, the armor is dead.

6. Fire when you're told to fire: I cant count the number of times my gunners said.."Oh, I couldn't see anything.. there he is". We either died from a Tank blast or killed an Armor just at the visual edge of my distance. I have an awesome video card and I see things that some people don't have a clue whats beyond the haze/smoke. When I say fire, that means place your mouse in the middle of the TV. fire and wait for something to be dead center on your flight path. I had a gunner take out a chopper that was below us using this method. It's a free shot and no wait.  "Yours is not to question... yours is to do or die"

I am a fairly laid back guy. I like working as a team. People that don't join squads and don't listen to pilot strategy have no business asking for a ride, or fighting for a chopper spot. you are not effective without learning the basics of chopper combat. If you want to fly. Learn how not to crash. Learn how to shoot missiles without ramming your target when you dropped your nose to fire.  Your chopper moves on gravity and angle of blades, if your blades are at 30 degrees, you are moving forward and falling towards your target. you will Ram... I heard this the other night "I'm still learning"... 4 rams in a row is intentional. Get off the server and go "Learn" in an unranked. i have been very rude to gunners that are idiots or newbies. I don't have time to train you in the game. Go learn elsewhere and come back when you have a small clue as to what to do.

I judge my skills based off the others teams responses. I was on Moders and every Mobile AA, stinger site, and roof was armed or seemed to have AT's firing at me. I then had not 1 but both Transport choppers trying to ram my chopper. I was evading.. I probably hit my best. I was also alone without a gunner. No sooner that someone joined my squad and spawned into m chopper. I switched modes to gunner assist flight and went for a TV on a AA.. blam.. dead. it took 5 seconds before he realized a mobile AA, under the UAV, was in his TV sight and we died. Classic symptom of gunner-suckulitis. Deadly disease caused by Static between the chair and keyboard.. otherwise known as the ID-10-T error.

I hope you enjoyed the little writeup and I look forward to seeing what other Pilots think about their gunners.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6576|England

Good reading tbh. Ive only just recently gone into my video settings and found my draw distance on 80%....and I was wondering why chopper pilots were lining me up with shots, i dont fire, then when we rearm, hes like "why the fuck didnt you fire"...

So thats another point...if you are a spanner (like me) and have your draw distance on anything other than 100%...you are gona miss a lot of targets. Why I ever set it on 80%, I have no idea really...but it must have been a long time ago
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6541
I am a shit gunner I got to admit. As a pilot i never get complains from my gunners. Those damn TV's are tricky to hit. Sometimes they go right trough your target. (I can hit tanks and slow moving objects fine its the enemy choppers that tick me off). I gunned for Spinach once and would only like hit the enemy chopper every 2 shots. Other then that you will almost never find me gunning unless its with a better pilot.

What I want my gunners to do which is hard is for them to fire the damn TV missile in SF when I got them set up. I dont lean back without a reason and those morons continue firing nose gun which does almost nada damage to enemy choppers.

Last edited by ShadowFoX (2006-09-22 16:09:00)

=CA=lamcrmbem
+16|6460|San Diego, CA
It's about knowing your limitations too.  I'm a much better gunner than a pilot.  If given the choice I'll let one of my clan mates who can make a helo dance be my pilot!
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6707|Germany
Hmm,for me it has been "The Curse of the Heliribbon" almost every time when I got in a heli.
You get a retarded pilot who doesn't evade anything or you get a blind gunner who never uses the TV-missile and never sees the great targets you are lining up for him.

When I had a decent pilot I got the heliribbon easily,it really was a piece of cake.

I prefer being a gunner,when the pilot does line up targets well I hit them well,but being pilot is ok for me as long as the gunner is doing his job properly.

My voip never worked before,but now with a ts-channel for the WOoKies I'll hopefully be able to work on my heli skills.
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6765
Well, I will get in as a gunner even if I dont have a microphone, and even if I cant use the "Tank at 6, 20 degree whatever, X altitude, Y longitude , coordinates etc" code speak appropriately.
I dont want to be an uber professional demi-god. I just wanna play
You shouldnt be rude to newbies. They have the right to be in that gunner seat just like anyone else. If they are annoying, then dont help them and play in your own style.
Nice guide though.
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6763
Great post, thanks for taking the time.
When I am pilot, I try to give my gunner the msg that it is all about him.  I will fly to target, level off for the setup, sometimes spot.  I do not fire.  Soon gunner should get the msg, and we'll get a rhythm (I hope).
When I am not levelled off on a target for his TV missile, I want him to be looking around.  I am looking ahead (mostly) for targets, but if we have none I want him to look left & right and hit "spotted" when he sees enemy armor or chopper off to the side.
When we are in dogfight with other chopper, I want him to hit "spotted" as well, if he can.  That way the chopper lights up on the minimap, and if I loose him in the dance, I can know where to turn by checking minimap.
(When I am pilot of BH, it's really important for gunner to use the "spotted" call on vehicles.  The gunners are perpendicular to where I am looking, with those side-mounted guns.  I'm mostly keeping it level, looking front & back potential targets, or planes taking a run.  I might not see a humvee or armor roll up beside us, so click the "spotted" and I will start monitoring him.)

I think the most frustrating thing, partly because it is unsolveable, is the variances in video cards.  It's sometimes helpful to know whether my gunner is a Staff Sergeant or a Colonel, but what would be even MORE helpful is some indication of what his video settings were LOL!  I died one time today, and the gunner said "you are not a very good pilot."  I had already moved on to do something else, because I knew he wanted to get back in chopper again, but I couldn't fly for him.  I lined him up on tank, he did not take the shot.  In fact, he typed "???" and hit the Go! Go! Let'sMove! button twice.  I was not happy that he accused me on the board of being a bad pilot, but I also knew it was almost hopeless to try and prove to him that I wasn't, because I could see stuff that he couldn't.  I figured the only way he didn't fire on that tank was that he couldn't see it, we were too far away for him.  I spawned somewhere else, he'll have more fun with a pilot also on low settings.
It's okay to have low settings, but like =CA=lamcrmbem said, know your limitations.  If you have low settings, and pilot has pulled in to hover, facing an area or flag that usually has armor but you don't see it....maybe fire off a TV and get ready to adjust it when you finally see the target.

Last thing...do not fire the MG just to pass the time.  This applies to attack chopper AND Blackhawk.  As the pilot, like I said, I am all about lining up gunner kills, you the man.  If you fire at something, I will scan that area or side of the chopper for a target, which might mean pulling into a hover.  And of course when we are in hover, we are a sitting duck for every type of weapon larger than a rifle (that's a dozen or so weapons?)  So if I am going into hover, there better be a good reason, not just that you wanted to pass the time by hearing the MG fire.

GET IN....HOP IN
Haze999
+6|6623
Your guide is terrible, I didn't even finish reading it. Most of your points would be valid if this was ... REAL LIFE. It obviously isn't and most of the things you said don't happen. The gunner shouldn't be looking out for the pilot, a good pilot will almost always see things faster then a good gunner.  Obviously you have been flying around with noobs, or you made this for a desperation of "karma" points.
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6571|Australia, NSW
i agree that there are so many noobs who cant fly or gun. i always fly, and wat i hate is when i get a gunner who just sits thre doing nothing, like not even trying to hit a target. i dont mind if they have a go. also, the pilot should be flying for the gunner, lining him upand all that, and spotting each target for himself. you shouldnt have to have the gunner changing views when the pilot is the one meant to know whats going on and where enemies are.

also, as i am a wake whore, i see gunners TV guiding boats all the time. the mg on the chopper will tear thru a boat, even at range. and when your pilot takes you across the map, have the tv missile ready to take out the AAs at a distance.
voip is definatly the way to go, but i have had some decent rounds with randoms without using it.
alpinestar
+304|6606|New York City baby.
Actually I do not need communications because if you gun and can't keep on pressing f9 continously you are a tard.
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6761|the middle of nowhere

DeZwarteMaan wrote:

Classic symptom of gunner-suckulitis.
Lol yeah I know what you mean... Great post. It needs to be said. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over...
DaZeD863
+11|6561
the pilot makes the gunner... i cant gun... but i can pilot my nutts off.. i have 6747 driver kill assists with under 110 hrs in the chopper.. thats getting my gunner almost 2 kills a minute.. and i only pub..

anyway i know i know.. meat and potatoes meat and potatoes... i cant say i ever really have a problem with my gunners... i practice practice practice in single player... at least 3 times a week... get good at low level flying.. and using terrain as cover as you hover and your gunner shouldnt have a problem..

tv shots are nice but really.. just learn how to stay out of a tanks range and armor shouldnt be a problem... my gunners get two or three shots off on armor  before they even know im there..

but i guess if i had to pick something... it would be study the chopper maps.. and KNOW WHERE THE DAMN AA IS.... usually i can flare off and duck behind something but sometimes you get caught with your pants down and have to turn and fight.. so frustrating to put your cross hairs on target.. beep... flare off... beep again... beep some more... only to get two missiles to the face.... boooo....
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6695|United States of America
I prefer having a gunner to shoot down the enemy or nail people instead of wasting missiles. I was a gunner today with a guy who crashed our chopper because "NO! i don't want u as gunner" though, so people are just idiotic when you get near a vehicle that flies.
[R.D]ProblemsSolver
+0|6726
Well i can do both pilot and gun, but let me tell you why i enjoy piloting more.
When i am at home at my pc i miss 5/10 tv shots since my PC is so freakin bad. I have( 2ghz CPU, 34GB Hardriwe-FULL, Nvidia 5200 video card, 512 GB of ram. As you can see it totally sucks. Anyways any time i play at my friends laptop i miss lets say 2 or 1/10 shots. Better PC MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!.

For my gunner i expect:
1. Pay attention to what i am doing- if i am flying around low under something in circles there is probably something under us.

2. Be able to hit basic tv shots - hit non moving tank, or chopper from the back

3. And it also depends on which map i play if i play on lets say Daliant as US i need to have a good freakin gunner that knows how to use a tv, but if i play on maps like Sharqi As mec all he has to do is pay attention and make a few simple TV shots.
CITYHUNT3R
+15|6478|Winnipeg
Great read there

One thing I'd like to add: The thing that pisses me off the most when I'm flying is when I pop up from behind a hill/building and line up a perfect TV shot, but my gunner is too busy shooting at something off to the side with his machine gun. If you're facing one way, you're usually facing one way for a reason, unless the pilot tells you otherwise.
jax
+12|6778
good for you mate, i no what you mean when you fly a chopper tilt for the TV shot on another and the gunner insists on trying to chain gun it to death WTF are u gunning for i for if u cant use TV's... some people are idiots, sorry bout the semi rant, nice post
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6605|Toronto-Canada
what i would like from my pilot is to have %100 view distance,sometimes i see enemy but my pilot doesn't see it
Des.Kmal
+917|6628|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Lol, Im guessing you like to solo chopper?
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
AK5489
+16|6518|US
i cant STAND having a blind gunner

i'd rather be gunning for a shit pilot than flying with a shit gunner
Dr0pped
+8|6764|Ontario, Canada

AK5489 wrote:

i'd rather be gunning for a shit pilot than flying with a shit gunner
Both are terrible and quite lethal. I don't know how many times I've spotted the enemy attack chopper as a gunner, only to have the unaware pilot head to cap a flag while we get a TV missile up our exhaust pipes... (Seems to happen to me more on Oman than any other map...) I think you are more at the mercy of your pilot when gunning than the other way around. If you are a good pilot you have a chance of surviving using your evasion and air combat skills (I am not one of those most excellent pilots tho )
sgt.sonner
the electric eel has got me by the brain banana
+146|6543|Denmizzark!!
DeZwarteMaan I love you for this guide. Nothing bothers me more than when I have my gunner set up for a perfect tv missile and the moron doesnt fire because of fog.

People need to learn that the chopper should be used for stealth and killing armor at its maximum range of 450 meters.

I rarerly let my gunner mates use the chain-gun as I will always stay to high or out of range untill I know the enemy cp´s with AA´s and choppers have been captured by my team, it doesnt give you quite as many kills for the gunner but you can still take out armor and let the ground pounders and friendly armor take out the enemy grunts, and the most important part, you will not die.
Mad Ad
+178|6521|England, UK
its the gunners that MG anything that moves that does my head in- why not wave a big flag saying HERE WE ARE- SHOOT AT US, the result is usually the same...BOOM dead

as long as you have the element of surprise, even if your a learner gunner you can often get multiple TVs off before armor work out where you are- I dont mind waiting for the re-load if they kill them eventually but gunning for the sake of hearing the bullets fly into dead ground is pointless.
drake666
when Hell is full...
+184|6720|austria
ok some of ur points are true , some missing! (ill write the perfect situation now= skilled pilot+skilled gunner in TS or ventrilo have a chopper)

first of all the startup (basics):

gunner press C or whatever key u have to make ur hud invisible! You see much more from the ground!
from now on you are the pilots second eye AND ear! SECOND! He is flying you are shooting, he is selecting the targets!

With the STRG key, you are able to look around WITHOUT moving your cannon...why is that important?
A good pilot aims 80% for you, the rest of 20% is up to you!
You don't help the Pilot when you are looking around and don't shoot on the upcoming targets! always check his sight = 12.00

SPOT enemy's! its very important to give enemy informations too your pilot so he can aim for you! 2nd EYE remember...
Most important SPOTTING is an enemy Chopper! a good Pilot try to get on his Tail and its MUCH more easy when he knows the position on the radar!

FIRE:

Never waste the AGMs (TV guided), waste your MG Bullets (especially when your gunner in the MI28)
Kill AAs even when none sits in it, it can save ur live!
let ur MG cool down! once overheated it takes ages to cool so shoot in bursts!

Air to Air fight:

Now the kings-discipline! Enemy Chopper spotted, now sent his mum some flowers!
First of all, be PATIENT! Don't waste rockets on a chopper ull never hit (90 degrees angle)
Wait till the perfect shot!
One important thing (for Cobra and z10): you are following an enemy chopper which hasn't recognized you yet! try a TV in his ass and when you miss, DONT fire with ur weak cannon on him! otherwise your sneaky position behind him is gone! TRY AGAIN! (not in MI 28 his cannon is powerful so...)

some tips:

RELOAD BUG: hop into TV mode and back sometimes make SURE that ur TV is ready!
BAIL OUT: Only Bunny's hop out a burning chopper die like a man with ur pilot
TAXI: An Attack chopper is NOT a Taxi so use the Black-hawk!
REPAIR-PAUSE: on the Battlefield is never time to be not concentrated ALWAYS watch your environment
UAV, RADAR ...: can be DESTROYED with ur TV guided!!! ull get points like a spec op!
SUPPORT: u hear an enemy Tank spotted? killing the ground troops? ur PRIMARY TARGET from now on!
FLAG-TAKING: A good pilot let you hop out while he giving you cover!hover above a flag? bye bye sitting duck!

may it help some a bit...
https://team-ex.de/imagehosting/daten/1323768139_m98b.png
Usque Ad Finem
sgt.sonner
the electric eel has got me by the brain banana
+146|6543|Denmizzark!!
doesnt it take 3 tv´s to take out assets??
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6576|England

I thought it was 2 TV's....only done it once.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard