tiptopT
+72|6581|Scotland's Capital

david363 wrote:

tiptopT wrote:

KylieTastic wrote:

what a surprise - you don't like it so call those that do noobs and say its no skill!

Personally I now avoid IO servers, but when I've played on them I've gone whole rounds without dieing by hand grenades - if your standing in a place thats easy for them to chuck nades into expect to die by the nade! Yes also expect more claymores - but they only have two each so its part of IO to avoid them!

In short yes YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT DIFFERENTLY! Thats the point - and what do you expect all the armor, jet, heli whores to do when they go on IO? The arnt used to using guns so they nade and snipe (and claymore)!

It takes different skills to play IO, same as it takes different skill to play other maps, or different classes.... many people cant adjust so just call people noobs (because that takes no skill as well)
Bang on, IO for the more experienced/better gamers? (as its harder)
how the fuck is it harder? u dont have to worry about the constant threat of arty
IO removes the threat from armour, pitting you mano a mano (kinda), intensifying the gameplay (hopefully - if you dont CTD ).  If your in a tank you could just sit and cap a flag, only worry bout AT/SO but in IO any class can kill you as you have no vehicle to hide in.  IO does force you to work as a team/squad and when you do the results can be very gratifying.  It all depends on how you play the game.  Is nice to have a change.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6755|United States of America

tiptopT wrote:

david363 wrote:

tiptopT wrote:

Bang on, IO for the more experienced/better gamers? (as its harder)
how the fuck is it harder? u dont have to worry about the constant threat of arty
IO removes the threat from armour, pitting you mano a mano (kinda), intensifying the gameplay (hopefully - if you dont CTD ).  If your in a tank you could just sit and cap a flag, only worry bout AT/SO but in IO any class can kill you as you have no vehicle to hide in.  IO does force you to work as a team/squad and when you do the results can be very gratifying.  It all depends on how you play the game.  Is nice to have a change.
I find that it is mostly clans that do well with infantry only, as most have nearly perfected teamplay.  As long as you can work together with anyone, infantry only will be fun, but if you are lonewolf, you have almost no chance.  Unless you are BushViper being lonewolf and can cap all flags on your own.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6652
I don't understand why all of a sudden nades are supposedly so populair on these servers.. I played inf from 1.2 to 1.4 and yeah, I visited a few inf only servers. Not once was it a nade fest, nor on Warlord/Mass D., which are effectively infantry only.

Nade whores are so easy to kill, too. Just turn your sound up.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
twiistaaa
+87|6668|mexico
alot of grenades, but i still get shot up a fair bit. but then.. i kinda suck.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6755|United States of America
The best way to stop someone from using nades constantly, is to use nades on them.  They get the message almost instantly after being killed 5 times in a row.
InviSniper
The first true Sniper.
+95|6643|Cumberland, MD, USA
We rarely use 'nades on our IO server; we just rape with the guns. But I have noticed on other servers how annoying the nades can be.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6829
I found IO to be a fairly silly. No visible teamwork at all (unless running around as a huge mob of grenade lobbing medics and support counts as teamwork). Groups sat outside spawn points spamming nades gets real old real quick.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6565|England

KylieTastic wrote:

david363 wrote:

face it.....IO is a noobs best friend, it takes no skill on IO to get kills
what a surprise - you don't like it so call those that do noobs and say its no skill!

Personally I now avoid IO servers, but when I've played on them I've gone whole rounds without dieing by hand grenades - if your standing in a place thats easy for them to chuck nades into expect to die by the nade! Yes also expect more claymores - but they only have two each so its part of IO to avoid them!

In short yes YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT DIFFERENTLY! Thats the point - and what do you expect all the armor, jet, heli whores to do when they go on IO? The arnt used to using guns so they nade and snipe (and claymore)!

It takes different skills to play IO, same as it takes different skill to play other maps, or different classes.... many people cant adjust so just call people noobs (because that takes no skill as well)
david363 is right. IO is a noobs best friend. Why? Because you are taking away everything that they cannot return fire against with a medic kit.
A tank is sat there spawnraping. Heres an idea. Put some AT rockets into it. Simple enough. Yes, it means that you might have to delve away from your oh so precious medic or support kit and lose a few valuable revive points. Oh no3s!
All you have to do now on IO, is run forward throwing nades and planting claymores everywhere. Thats not skill - thats a noob fest. Or, karkand as I like to call it.
On IO, you do not have to worry about arty, jets, helis or armour. Hell, even an FAV sat gunning you down. You have fuck all to worry about, fuck all to avoid, fuck all to realise and take into account about your surroundings and fuck all to make the game intense. You even have fuck all to get you about the map, you have fuck all for the commander to do and fuck all for a variety of maps to play. Not only that, but the spec ops have fuck all assets to destroy.

KylieTastic, you make a BIG assumption about "all vehicle whores are shit on the ground". LMAO, you could not be further from the truth. You know nothing about so called "vehicle whores". No, it doesnt require much skill to sit with an APC at a spawnpoint spawnraping...but it does require more skill to stay alive, avoiding spec ops/AT mines and AT rockets to keep that going. Not only that, but try playing Chinese maps without any form of vehicle.
Just because someone uses a vehicle a lot, so fucking what? Does that mean they cant do fuck all on the ground without their apparant "precious tank"? No, it does not.

From what I can see in this post, mostly Sergants and lower ranks (i.e. less experience, less time in the game and less knowledge of the game) say that IO rocks. Why? Because they are sick are getting pwned by arty and all they wana do is throw nades all round, every round.

I play about half my time on the ground and half my time in vehicles - NOT SPAWNRAPING, and have avoided Karkand since May this year. I have experience in a lot of this game (nothing compared to some though) and can honestly say, that IO not only sucks major ass, but it completely unbalances any map in which it is available.
Each map is designed and gameplay tuned to suit the map itself. Especially in terms of vehicles. That is why Iron Gator cannot be played IO...because its designed for vehicles to transport troops to the carrier and raid it that way.

You all complain of arty and tanks spawnraping, well, heres some food for thought:

1) Without arty and tanks, it would be a nonstop nade fest at karkand hotel ALL ROUND. With these additions, it helps to move the game along. Not by much though.
2) Sick of the armour spawnraping and arty? Try a non city map. Arty has a fuck all role in those maps and spawnraping doesnt happen, since 70-80% of each team is in vehicles.

I will avoid any, and all IO servers in this game as long as I play it. I intend to play the game how it was originally designed - to include all aspects of a modern day battlefield and none of this pussy IO shit.
Simon
basically
+838|6657|UK
Yet another, OMG NADEZ. OMG VEHICLEZ SUCK0RZ. OMG INF IS FOR TEH NOOBS. OMG CLAYMORESZ thread.
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6451|Cambridge, UK

Snake wrote:

...KylieTastic, you make a BIG assumption about "all vehicle whores are shit on the ground". LMAO, you could not be further from the truth....
That was why I put - The only "vehicle whores" I have a problem with - are the ones that only whore, TK for "there" vehicle, stand on the exact respawn point and moan (or kick/ban) if you kill them!!, or my pet hate.... on wake (US) - not use the jets, heli to help get a foot hold

Snake wrote:

From what I can see in this post, mostly Sergeants and lower ranks (i.e. less experience, less time in the game and less knowledge of the game) say that IO rocks. Why? Because they are sick are getting pwned by arty and all they wana do is throw nades all round, every round.
or maybe because most people are "Sergeants and lower"? and those that arnt have been playing along time and (quiet rightly in some ways) don't want people fucking with there game. which would be true if you had to play IO.

Snake wrote:

....but it completely unbalances any map in which it is available.....
I agree it IS so shite on many, but most the problems I've found are people not adapting!

Karkland: Yes if the MEC come way forward, the US will sit on the hill nadeing!! MEC should hang back and snipe, or stay back and make the US come off the hill. and the US should not just go for the hotel!!!

Warlard: sucks arse on IO often because so many think its all about getting that one flag! and the reason I hate most IO matches is because people let the flag count stay uneven for so long that its not the hour+ long, easy stats-padding fest people complain off - but instead the tickets zoom down and its game over!

Snake wrote:

You all complain of arty and tanks spawnraping .....
Er... do they/we?? In all these post I cant say I've seen many (any?) people complain about the arty - most people I know only complain about arty on NCB (especially on the ship in Wake!)

I actually think more people complain about the Heli and Jet whores..... I would have loved to play a no-attack air craft mode. A great Heli pilot/gunner pair can make a game so boring - don't get me wrong I don't doubt the skill, but if they are good they can easily kill loads per time they die, and they get the instant re-spawn of the Heli and are back for revenge on you 30 seconds later.

Snake wrote:

I will avoid any, and all IO servers in this game as long as I play it.
Aye, you and many others - and that number will grow and grow.....

Snake wrote:

I intend to play the game how it was originally designed
Well now part of the design is IO mode. Its an option, same as many only play a couple of maps, or mainly vehicles, or only 1 or 2 classes..... options are GOOD - the ones that are crap will be ignored and not cause anyone any problems

Snake wrote:

to include all aspects of a modern day battlefield
On the real battlefield its often one sided; unbalanced; in some fields of operation you will find a booby trap (claymore) in every building you rush blindly into; oh and the biggie.... tanks, helis and jets (especially helis in say the gulf war) are very finite resources - not endlessly spawning items and back on you in 30 seconds.

Snake wrote:

none of this pussy IO shit.
You had to spoilt it - and go for the abuse! OK credit for not calling it "noob IO shit" - just "IO shit" would have been cool - but the pussy bit? Why?
A good player still kicks arse against the pussys/noobs/un-skilled/un-thinking in IO.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6779|Great Brown North

Simon wrote:

Yet another, OMG NADEZ. OMG VEHICLEZ SUCK0RZ. OMG INF IS FOR TEH NOOBS. OMG CLAYMORESZ thread.
yes well thats not what it was intended to be, unfortunatley thats what its being turned into.

and i thank you deeply for adding so many helpfull and constructive comments to the debate, really i do
The_Jester
+52|6490|Italy
Whoever said "IO is harder and takes more skill"...not simply wrong, but completely illogical.

No arty, no jets, no tanks, nothing to worry about.
Any decent vanilla infantry man would own every single IO-only player. A "standard" ground pounder is used to worry about so many different things, to find alternate routes, while the average IO player is just a dumb grenade spammer.

I agree, IO requires more skill than some kind of vehicle whoring (tank on karkand/mashtuur, j-10 on wake, havok on Sharqi), but "IO requires more skill period" is just stupid.

Last edited by The_Jester (2006-09-21 11:35:13)

Polux
H@x ?? No, just skill baby !
+73|6647|I smell corners
Go play on Rubberducky #2 Jalalala and Karkand 64 players on 16 p maps.....
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6451|Cambridge, UK

Polux wrote:

Go play on Rubberducky #2 Jalalala and Karkand 64 players on 16 p maps.....
Well yes 64 players on 16-palyer-maps is just stupid - IO or not!
IRONCHEF
+385|6490|Northern California
IO takes more talent than non-IO period.  Seriously, ground pounding is not only more satisfying than sitting in a cobra at a spawn point, it's more realistic.  The ballistics of the air and ground vehicle battles are so "game-like" compared to that of fighting with rifles.  Grenades and claymores add a little laziness to the fight, but they're still more commendable than vehicle whoring.

And for you lazy bums who hate on the IO servers, quit yer crying because you have to walk a little.
IRONCHEF
+385|6490|Northern California

The_Jester wrote:

Whoever said "IO is harder and takes more skill"...not simply wrong, but completely illogical.

Any decent vanilla infantry man would own every single IO-only player. A "standard" ground pounder is used to worry about so many different things, to find alternate routes, while the average IO player is just a dumb grenade spammer.

I agree, IO requires more skill than some kind of vehicle whoring (tank on karkand/mashtuur, j-10 on wake, havok on Sharqi), but "IO requires more skill period" is just stupid.
Ok, yes, if you're on the ground, then yes, you do have to worry about the occaisional strafe or TV coming at you.  The point being..which is harder to play: (a) Rifleman vs. Rifelman or (b) Tank/J10/Cobra vs. Rifleman.  Easily the man vs. man is what requires as much defense as it does offense.  Also, if two rifle men are running for each other, that intensity requires so much more skillful decision making than if you were in a helo where you don't die from a head shot or 4 rounds to the body.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6562|British Columbia, Canada
Ya, I whore Nades on IO..

Tons of Kills and Points if you know where to chuck 'em..

And I whore Vehicles on Non-IO.. Bite me bitch..
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

LOL, IO is sweet.  I'm just mediocre as infantry,save sniping , and a reasonably good tanker, but my BRS of 161 was due to IO.  Ghost Town: use the plentiful cover, watch for claymores, use the roofs instead of alleys, and avoid the obvious nade areas.  And most importantly, team up.

From my own experience, 64 player 64 map Jalalabad, USMC will always win due to there uncap advantage.  Assault, Medic, Support lead, covered by snipers and head for the back flags.  Of those gams I've played as USMC, we've almost always won.
The_Jester
+52|6490|Italy

IRONCHEF wrote:

The_Jester wrote:

Ok, yes, if you're on the ground, then yes, you do have to worry about the occaisional strafe or TV coming at you.  The point being..which is harder to play: (a) Rifleman vs. Rifelman or (b) Tank/J10/Cobra vs. Rifleman.  Easily the man vs. man is what requires as much defense as it does offense.  Also, if two rifle men are running for each other, that intensity requires so much more skillful decision making than if you were in a helo where you don't die from a head shot or 4 rounds to the body.
(c) rifleman vs rifleman with jets/tanks/arty around you

and

(d) antitank/specop vs tank

THAT intensity requires so much more skillful decision making than if you were spamming grenades behind a wall.

Last edited by The_Jester (2006-09-21 12:19:47)

M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6730|Peoria, Illinois

The_Jester wrote:

Any decent vanilla infantry man would own every single IO-only player.
pffftttt you obviously haven't played IO.
Baron_von_Kondas
Ok! Try smelling this banana!!!
+74|6491|There?

david363 wrote:

face it.....IO is a noobs best friend, it takes no skill on IO to get kills
Would you please shut the f*** up!!! I hate guys like u, calling everybody else noobs. I dont play IO alot myself but maybe you should, sounds like you've been cooked up in a tank to long.
Zefar
+116|6648|Sweden
I die most from AK-101/M4/M16/PKM/PRK and some other weapons. Unless I'm a sniper then I die from other snipers but I kill them more than they kill me.
The_Jester
+52|6490|Italy

M1-Lightning wrote:

The_Jester wrote:

Any decent vanilla infantry man would own every single IO-only player.
pffftttt you obviously haven't played IO.
Yes, I have.
And you obviously don't understand my reply.
The problem is that IO-fanboys think everyone playing vanilla is some kind of vehicle whore.
My point is, probably the average IO-noob can own the average j-10 whore, but get owned BADLY by true vanilla groundpounders, wich usually have to worry about every kind of crap, while in IO-pussy-mode need to worry about grenades only.
Darky
Hi..
+71|6561|Here.
Some of the best games I've had were IO, because you dont have some douche roll up in a tank thinking he's all 'leet'.

Lately I've found more often then not, that most of my kills in vanilla are from APCs and or tanks, because the 'new' people dont know how to play any other way. Too many times a decent infantry fire fight is ruined because someone in a tank who cant show some respect comes and ruins it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard