M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6722|Peoria, Illinois
We should go and slit some atoms over their atmosphere. Let them play with nuclear fallout for a while.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6727|Salt Lake City

I just want to make it to 2nd Lieutenant, then they can do whatever the hell they want to the planet. 
Rec(+)n
Teh Hawtsawce
+4|6449

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Murphy's Law will come into play here.

Dr.Cox wrote:

"It is an incredibly exciting machine. It will be turned on next year and run for at least a decade and probably 20 years and the first results - if the machine behaves itself - should start coming out within a year," he added.
LOL, yes it will, and then we are all f'd
CaptainMack
Ye Ol'e Pirate Pub<3
+5|6421|#bf2s (Just next to maef)
Well, we had some about this in Psyhics and so on..

Cant see what's wrong ?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

stryyker wrote:

i can recreate it cheaper

i need an M80, a tactical Nuke, and a coke can
You forgot the six pack of beer.

* They estimate the possibility of accidentally destroying the planet as extremely low. <-- nice
Xbone Stormsurgezz
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6540|Southeastern USA

Greenpanda wrote:

If they blow up the earth, i'm gonna be pissed...
they can't do that!! that's where I keep all my stuff!!!
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6670|Broadlands, VA
1) They'll shoot their eyes out.

2) I hope thay announce the day before the test.  I'm gonna go up on my roof with a cell phone and a bottle of Jack Daniels.  I'll call everyone I know and tell exactly what I think of them.  Then I'll crawl back to my office and make the same kind of posts on all the forums I visit.  If nothing happens, I'll just apologize after the hangover goes away and blame the voices in my head.

Last edited by Kaosdad008 (2006-09-21 12:02:37)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6540|Southeastern USA
well need to send Sarge over there to make sure no cacodaemons make it through, make sure he has all the red, blue, green and yellow keys, too
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6700|Charlie One Alpha
Jesus people, stop worrying. Particle accelerators have been around for years, this one is simply bigger and better. The planet is not going to fucking blow up.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Goven
/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
+125|6472|Purdue

Greenpanda wrote:

If they blow up the earth, i'm gonna be pissed...
GATOR591957
+84|6618

basetballjones wrote:

BMW330i wrote:

This could cause a rip in spacetime and cause a mini-black hole. Check out the Fermi Paradox on wikipedia.
This is true, but the risk is calculated in with the ratio already given.  String theory and quantam physics have already placed rips in the quantam fabric throughout the universe, they are thus far static and do not grow nor seem to interfere any more than black holes.  Of interest some theorize that rips in space time are actually the location of a used up black hole (all black holes consume themselves eventually).
Ok not to be a smart ass here, but String THEORY.  No one has been close to a black hole, no one has lived long enough to view a black hole for the duration of it's life.  Furthermore, you cannot see a black hole, only particles around it.  Where the hell do you come up with these things?

Got to throw the BULLSHIT Flag here.............................

To me,  they admit not knowing anything about what will happen, yet profess to give odds on it not destroying the world.  Not very professional in my mind.

A little education: http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/public/bh_intro.html

Last edited by GATOR591957 (2006-09-21 13:24:28)

Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6736|Houston, TX
*gathers towel, Guide, and babel fish.  Puts on peril sensitive glasses*

"Anyone up for a pitcher or three? My sunglasses just went completely black."

For those who don't get it, don't panic

KJ
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6727|Salt Lake City

Kung Jew wrote:

*gathers towel, Guide, and babel fish.  Puts on peril sensitive glasses*

"Anyone up for a pitcher or three? My sunglasses just went completely black."

For those who don't get it, don't panic

KJ
Yeah, you can't forget the towel.  It's the most important thing to take with you when you are trying to flag down a space cruiser. 
TuataraDude
+115|6514|Aotearoa

Whitegreek wrote:

Usually I'd say good on them or go for it.

but.

If they fuck this up were totally screwed, lets not forget no matter the size of a black hole it can suck all matter into a singularity, even light. I'm going to say one of these five things will happen:
1) A black hole is created, all matter on earth is sucked into a singularity and destoryed. The force of which is so powerful that atoms themselves can be destoryed.
2) A second demension is created, in which case we'll either spend trillions of dollars trying to get people onto the other side or something will come out of it. They will come and roam the earth, destory countries and a last ditch effort is then put in place to destory them, in which we fail.
3) The atoms hit each other that they either fuse together or shatter causing neclear fallout on a rather small scale (about 5 meters) because the atoms used are so stable. Thus the theory of the big bang is proven wrong.
4) The experiment happens, Murphy's law comes into play and the earth is somehow thrown into a neclear winter or an unthinkable armigeddon.
5) It happens, it works and a small transdimensional hole is created for about 0.0004 of a second, no one really cares and it is featured on the back page of the local newspaper.

Luck I'm not a betting man eh?
I am no expert, but I have done a fair amount of reading in this area (it is fascinating really), but from what I understand (and feel free to correct me please)...

1)  The black hole, were it created, would be too small and would not last long enough to cause an issue.

2)  A second dimension would not be created, they would simply get results that would refine the theory about branes (read Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" or Stephen Hawkings' "The Universe in a Nutshell" for more details). It would go some way to explain why there appears to be a lot more gravity around than what we can see can account for and why gravity is such a weak force compared to the other 3 forces (those being electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force). One theory being that gravitons (the messenger particle for gravity - currently only a theory) are able to move between branes.

3)  Even if nothing much happens, it all helps refine the theories.

4)  You never know, but if we were too scared to push the limits of human knowledge, we would never have crawled out of the caves we lived in.

5)  If a trans-dimensional hole is created, it would be huge. Maybe not to you or me, but it would be massive for the scientists.

A large amount of it is based on the idea that String Theory is correct. The trouble with it though is that it relies on the existence of 11 dimensions and is going to be very difficult to prove. There are competing theories out there, Loop Quantam Gravity being one of them. If this will bring us one step closer to understanding the nature of the universe we live in, go for it. The odds we will all be consumed in some black hole is small enough that we have an obligation to try it (flame on!).
BMW330i
Banned
+20|6454|Montreal, Canada

TuataraDude wrote:

Whitegreek wrote:

Usually I'd say good on them or go for it.

but.

If they fuck this up were totally screwed, lets not forget no matter the size of a black hole it can suck all matter into a singularity, even light. I'm going to say one of these five things will happen:
1) A black hole is created, all matter on earth is sucked into a singularity and destoryed. The force of which is so powerful that atoms themselves can be destoryed.
2) A second demension is created, in which case we'll either spend trillions of dollars trying to get people onto the other side or something will come out of it. They will come and roam the earth, destory countries and a last ditch effort is then put in place to destory them, in which we fail.
3) The atoms hit each other that they either fuse together or shatter causing neclear fallout on a rather small scale (about 5 meters) because the atoms used are so stable. Thus the theory of the big bang is proven wrong.
4) The experiment happens, Murphy's law comes into play and the earth is somehow thrown into a neclear winter or an unthinkable armigeddon.
5) It happens, it works and a small transdimensional hole is created for about 0.0004 of a second, no one really cares and it is featured on the back page of the local newspaper.

Luck I'm not a betting man eh?
I am no expert, but I have done a fair amount of reading in this area (it is fascinating really), but from what I understand (and feel free to correct me please)...

1)  The black hole, were it created, would be too small and would not last long enough to cause an issue.

2)  A second dimension would not be created, they would simply get results that would refine the theory about branes (read Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" or Stephen Hawkings' "The Universe in a Nutshell" for more details). It would go some way to explain why there appears to be a lot more gravity around than what we can see can account for and why gravity is such a weak force compared to the other 3 forces (those being electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force). One theory being that gravitons (the messenger particle for gravity - currently only a theory) are able to move between branes.

4)  You never know, but if we were too scared to push the limits of human knowledge, we would never have crawled out of the caves we lived in.

5)  If a trans-dimensional hole is created, it would be huge. Maybe not to you or me, but it would be massive for the scientists.

A large amount of it is based on the idea that String Theory is correct. The trouble with it though is that it relies on the existence of 11 dimensions and is going to be very difficult to prove. There are competing theories out there, Loop Quantam Gravity being one of them. If this will bring us one step closer to understanding the nature of the universe we live in, go for it. The odds we will all be consumed in some black hole is small enough that we have an obligation to try it (flame on!).
Please don't use the "we'd still be sprawling in caves" argument... we're talking about fiddling around with the very stuff that the universe is MADE out of... comparing that to the invention of the wheel or combustion is just plain silly.

Last edited by BMW330i (2006-09-21 14:11:18)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

TuataraDude wrote:

Of course the theories are exactly that: theories. No one knows for sure.

TodErnst wrote:

I hope we don't meet the Bugs from "Starship Troopers" (the movie),
there have been enough in BF2 already
God damnit, why'd you go and bring up that POS? ARGH. They should've taken Heinlein's name off of it.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-09-21 14:24:50)

GATOR591957
+84|6618
Again. black holes cannot be seen, it is the absence of light.  So how are they going to determine that they have indeed created a black hole.

Last edited by GATOR591957 (2006-09-21 14:29:01)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

GATOR591957 wrote:

Again. black hoes cannot be seen, it is the absence of light.  So how are they going to determine that they have indeed created a black hole.
Well, if they do create a little one, whatever instruments they have would sense it before they see it.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6637

GATOR591957 wrote:

Again. black hoes cannot be seen, it is the absence of light.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/deathbym0nkeyz/racist.gif
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6636|Ohio

Psykotik2912 wrote:

Herc82 wrote:

Hi all,

Well, honestly even if the risk to blow up the planet or suck it in another dimension is (almost) nil - I probably wouldn't try it.... on the other hand with that attitude we probably woulnd't have the wheel or the automobile for that matter.

Let them try, if it doesn't work we'll probably never know (yei...isn't that comforting). It seems though that most theories here come straight from "Angels & Demons" (same author as the Da Vinci Code)...
do we have any Cern nerds playing bf2 and reading/posting on these forums that could shed some light on this affair???
I was wondering when someone would mention Angels and Demons. The post by IntrebuloN makes me think he's read it though. The whole religious-theory possibilities by creating matter from nothing.
I was wonder about that also, and if it does work, i hope A&D doesnt give Osama any ideas.
GATOR591957
+84|6618

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

Again. black hoes cannot be seen, it is the absence of light.  So how are they going to determine that they have indeed created a black hole.
Well, if they do create a little one, whatever instruments they have would sense it before they see it.
See the problem here is it is the absence of anything.  How do you detect nothing?  The only reason we summize there is such a thing is particles of matter that surround the ones we THINK are black holes.  Black holes are not proven fact, it is theory.
T0rr3nt
+54|6568|Michigan

ATG wrote:

I think experiments like this are dangerous.
They may create new elements, new blackholes and even shatter our dimension.

For what?

What does it matter what happened at the moment of the big bang.

Maybe they should spend all that money building schools and such.
why wouldnt you want these kinds of experiments, after how do you think we discovered so many of our elements, even if they exist for a fraction of a second?

thats the world of science, always finding new things, and for that im excited.
TuataraDude
+115|6514|Aotearoa

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

Again. black hoes cannot be seen, it is the absence of light.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/ … racist.gif
You don't see, detect or measure a black hole. But you can measure the effect on the surrounding space that indicates the presence of a black hole. Something to do with twin particles where one crosses the event horizon and the other does not.
TheFlipTop
+28|6515
But the 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chances happen 9 times out of 10
eagles1106
+269|6575|Marlton, New Jersey.
Somebody needs to make another eon8 site, counting down to the test

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard