Reaxzion
HOU A.U.B. JE MUIL!
+44|6603|Europe and goddamn proud of it
They should make a map with the Insurgents and the Chechnyans..
DSRTurtle
+56|6695

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

You're forgetting the zip lines and grappling hooks aspect of SF. I hate to think what glitches could be found in the vanilla BF2 maps if someone had SF tools.

@DSRTurtle, Karkand, Sharqi and Mashtuur with new spawn points and night would pretty much be new maps. Different tactics needed, different or no vehicles (just an elite force on a mission). I think it would be fantastic and would require less work by EA and DiCE than totally new maps. We could actually see this.
I'd still rather have a new layout.  But the maps need to better than Jalabaad.  Jalabaad has too fast of a ticket bleed when it's not full on 64 player map.
greenhaven
+47|6475

DSRTurtle wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Although I think including a new map in a patch which can't be accessed by 100% of the community is a little unfair and would almost definitely have people up in arms about EA/DiCE screwing people over, I would love to see such a well known map as Karkand ported over as a night map.

That would simply rule.
I have disagree about the community getting screwed by EA/DICE.  What I'd love to see is a $10 booster pack for SF like they did for vanilla BF2.  3 or 4 maps.  Say 1 map of Seals vs Spetznas, 1 of SAS vs MECSF, and either Rebel vs Spetznas or Seals vs Insurgents. 

I have to agree that EA/DICE has not been as good to those who like SF more than vanilla. 

I like both EF and AF so I'd be willing to pay $10 for 3 good quality SF maps.  I'd prefer they all be day maps  but even if they weren't I'd play them.  I'm so sick of Warlord and Ghost Town that I don't play much SF except for Iron Gator and I'm starting to get tired of it.
Or just patch in a Spetz/SEAL map. That would be awesome.
cheppi
+9|6528|Forest Green Rovers
falkland islands 2007 Britain v Argentina would be good
millhous
+39|6646|OREEGONE, USA
How about giving the option to turn night missions into day missions and vice-versa.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6500|Menlo Park, CA
+1 for this thread!!

YES!! Special Forces DOES need a new map!! I would LOVE to see some SEAL v. Insurgent action!!!! Those of us who play spec for on a regular basis need a little pick me up!!!
Graphic
Real Horrorshow
+24|6504|Nevada

SkoobyDu wrote:

Agreed I would love to see an urban night map, I can fore see a problem with claymore spamming though...
Devil's Perch is more or less urban (as well as an underrated and underplayed map).
DSRTurtle
+56|6695

greenhaven wrote:

DSRTurtle wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Although I think including a new map in a patch which can't be accessed by 100% of the community is a little unfair and would almost definitely have people up in arms about EA/DiCE screwing people over, I would love to see such a well known map as Karkand ported over as a night map.

That would simply rule.
I have disagree about the community getting screwed by EA/DICE.  What I'd love to see is a $10 booster pack for SF like they did for vanilla BF2.  3 or 4 maps.  Say 1 map of Seals vs Spetznas, 1 of SAS vs MECSF, and either Rebel vs Spetznas or Seals vs Insurgents. 

I have to agree that EA/DICE has not been as good to those who like SF more than vanilla. 

I like both EF and AF so I'd be willing to pay $10 for 3 good quality SF maps.  I'd prefer they all be day maps  but even if they weren't I'd play them.  I'm so sick of Warlord and Ghost Town that I don't play much SF except for Iron Gator and I'm starting to get tired of it.
Or just patch in a Spetz/SEAL map. That would be awesome.
I'd rather have 3 or 4 good maps and pay for them rather than something like jalabaad which to me doesn't appear to be a well thought out map.
Goven
/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
+125|6490|Purdue
As long as I get to use an RPG-7, I'm game.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6682|Colorado
I'd say no because if they patch it again they might screw up again like with 1.3, I'll take the game as is now, no more patches, its up too the Mods now.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477
I got an idea, SAS vs their arch rivals IRA (IRA would pwn like they do IRL).
Windrider_Melb
Pwned so often there's an IPO.
+29|6514|Melbourne, Australia
I think it is obvious that EA/Dice are winding-down BF2 operations... that an official map pack for SF is not going to happen.

In which case it is up to us to take ownership of our fandom and create SF Maps for our community, release them, play them, review them, tweak them and get them on servers.

While people say "This map! This set-up!" I think the premise of the map is all important. Real Special Forces are not simply elite front-line soldiers; they are strategic weapons. Literally. They are hardly ever used for straight combat missions. Instead they are used for Special Operations, and rarely if ever fight against another  Special Force. Of course, this cannot be dutifully reconstructed in BF2:SF but I have been accumulating ideas for decent schenarios to map if I ever learn how:

"Night Landing": Seals vs MECSF - A night map that takes the Gulf Of Oman map, puts it at night, changes ruined houses to intact houses, moves the flag points a bit. The premise is that it is the night landing described in the mission brief of the original Gulf Of Oman map in BF2.

"Channel 13": Seals vs MECSF - A night map that takes the Sharqi Peninsula, puts it at night, and moves flag points around a little. Seals assault from the sea to take the TV station as outlined in the mission brief of Sharqi Peninsula in BF2.

"The Basra Gambit": Seals or SAS vs MECSF - A day map where MECSF fight to secure an oil refinery in the port city of Basra in order to fuel their mechanised divisions in the area. Lots of oil tanks, silos, catwalks, scaffolding and stuff that explodes if you hit it. May include an oil rig.

"Listening Post": MECSF vs Insurgents - A day map using Devils' Perch where MECSF clear out the resident Warlord in order to use the islands for their listening post as described in the brief for Devil's Perch.

"Three Gorges": SAS vs PLA-SF (yes I know they don't exist in-game) - A day map based on Kubra Dam with high water levels. SAS and PLA Special Forces fight for control of the Three Gorges Dam: a vital crossing point for heavy equipment in the ongoing campaign.

"Tripwire": Seals vs N.Korean SF (yes I know they don't exist in-game) - A day map based on Google Earth images of the Korean Demilitarized Zone. The US forces in South Korea (USFK) are merely a "Tripwire" force of 35,000 marines and Seals, placed there so that breaking of the 50-year cease-fire will involve firing upon US troops and guarantee US involvement in regional conflict. As the vanguard of a surprize attack North Korean Special Forces have crossed the DMZ and are attempting to neutralize elements of the USFK.

Just my ideas.

\\'
Graphic
Real Horrorshow
+24|6504|Nevada

Windrider_Melb wrote:

I think it is obvious that EA/Dice are winding-down BF2 operations... that an official map pack for SF is not going to happen.

In which case it is up to us to take ownership of our fandom and create SF Maps for our community, release them, play them, review them, tweak them and get them on servers.

While people say "This map! This set-up!" I think the premise of the map is all important. Real Special Forces are not simply elite front-line soldiers; they are strategic weapons. Literally. They are hardly ever used for straight combat missions. Instead they are used for Special Operations, and rarely if ever fight against another  Special Force. Of course, this cannot be dutifully reconstructed in BF2:SF but I have been accumulating ideas for decent schenarios to map if I ever learn how:

"Night Landing": Seals vs MECSF - A night map that takes the Gulf Of Oman map, puts it at night, changes ruined houses to intact houses, moves the flag points a bit. The premise is that it is the night landing described in the mission brief of the original Gulf Of Oman map in BF2.

"Channel 13": Seals vs MECSF - A night map that takes the Sharqi Peninsula, puts it at night, and moves flag points around a little. Seals assault from the sea to take the TV station as outlined in the mission brief of Sharqi Peninsula in BF2.

"The Basra Gambit": Seals or SAS vs MECSF - A day map where MECSF fight to secure an oil refinery in the port city of Basra in order to fuel their mechanised divisions in the area. Lots of oil tanks, silos, catwalks, scaffolding and stuff that explodes if you hit it. May include an oil rig.

"Listening Post": MECSF vs Insurgents - A day map using Devils' Perch where MECSF clear out the resident Warlord in order to use the islands for their listening post as described in the brief for Devil's Perch.

"Three Gorges": SAS vs PLA-SF (yes I know they don't exist in-game) - A day map based on Kubra Dam with high water levels. SAS and PLA Special Forces fight for control of the Three Gorges Dam: a vital crossing point for heavy equipment in the ongoing campaign.

"Tripwire": Seals vs N.Korean SF (yes I know they don't exist in-game) - A day map based on Google Earth images of the Korean Demilitarized Zone. The US forces in South Korea (USFK) are merely a "Tripwire" force of 35,000 marines and Seals, placed there so that breaking of the 50-year cease-fire will involve firing upon US troops and guarantee US involvement in regional conflict. As the vanguard of a surprize attack North Korean Special Forces have crossed the DMZ and are attempting to neutralize elements of the USFK.

Just my ideas.

\\'
https://www.economist.com/images/20040522/2104SU1.jpg

Vlad says: "No Spetsnaz...meh"

J/K, interesting ideas.  I like the idea of MECSF vs. Insurgents.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6555|Doncaster, UK

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

I got an idea, SAS vs their arch rivals IRA (IRA would pwn like they do IRL).
Yeah, cos the IRA are so active now aren't they.
mavrick 3399
EA GAMES PATCH EVERYTHING
+102|6551|Doncaster UK
i also really wouldnt call the IRA the arch rivals, pretty sure it was bog standard british troops that walked the streets of belfast in the 80s.
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6461|Cambridge, UK

Thumbs up to the whole new SF map idea - love the game!

A whole new map is best but also.... have Karkand Mashtuur and Jalalabad playable with SF kit.... and a night version of Warlord.
DSRTurtle
+56|6695

Windrider_Melb wrote:

Just my ideas.

\\'
Wind, normally I agree with you.  This time I don't for the most part.  All new maps would be better than just changing spawn points on an existing map and making one a night map.  It's much more fun to learn entirely new maps than to play ones that have been modified.
Biggles10
+1|6682
Warlord Nights, mmmmmmmmmm now that would get me interested,
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6555|Doncaster, UK

DSRTurtle wrote:

Wind, normally I agree with you.  This time I don't for the most part.  All new maps would be better than just changing spawn points on an existing map and making one a night map.  It's much more fun to learn entirely new maps than to play ones that have been modified.
But if we're talking about a one off patch to introduce a new map like the OP was proposing, a new map is a gamble on EA/DiCE's part. Look at Jihadabad.... it's an attrocious map for IO. How many threads have we seen complaining about how it's practically impossible to win as USMC, how it's a 'nade fest, how it's a sniper fest.

A tried and tested map from either BF2 or SF but altered to add a twist would require less development work, therefore less resources, and therefore more likely to be considered by EA.

As has been said: Warlord, Karkand, Sharqi, all at night with adjusted goals. IMHO these would all make fantastic SF maps and could be "patched" in.
X3M*Selkie
+13|6587|Belgium
Wouldn't this threat have more benefit as a poll?

Anyway, I am totally pro for new SF maps.
To make it possible simplier for EA/DICE, why don't they make a SF playable version of the excisting maps like Karkland, Jallalbad,...etc with the SF tools (Zip, grapple,....) and armies (Spetz, rebel,...)
THE RUSKIE
+19|6452|UK but from Russia(StP)
yes youre right spetznaz all the way, it could be like that theater seige in moscow, those arab fukers or beslan school seige. im russian it does sound harsh, but its only for a map
DSRTurtle
+56|6695
Fruitloop I agree with you about Jahalbaad.  It is a terrible map.  In IO the US has no chance.  In the normal mode the MEC loose every game I've played very quickly because of the Ticket Bleed.  I've stopped playing Warlord mostly because it has become one big grenade fest.  Nades are great when you find your self one on three or four.  However, I much prefer assult rifles and skill to throwing grenades. 

Before anyone complains about my stats, they suck.  I'm not saying that nades don't have a place, but they are way overused by people.  I threw a total of 2 nades in a round on warlord today.  both at a pickup truck.  The only reason I was playing Warlord was to get my MSM with teh 1000th heal point.
oberst_enzian
+234|6752|melb.au
rebels, urban map. i don't care who they fight.

dude.
where.the.fuck.is.my.rebels.city.map.
Graphic
Real Horrorshow
+24|6504|Nevada
Off topic...

I played Karkand for the first time in like 1 1/2 months to 2 months (to try out my new P90), man what a horrible shitfest.  I can't believe I used to play it all the time, can't wait until Ghost Town overtakes it on my stats.

Now that my clan is Special Forces I'll probably never play regular BF2 again.  SF 4Lyfe.

Last edited by Graphic (2006-09-22 23:22:09)

Windrider_Melb
Pwned so often there's an IPO.
+29|6514|Melbourne, Australia

DSRTurtle wrote:

Fair enough - and I agree with you too.

But I think moving the spawn points even just a little changes the map dramatically. I find the 32 player Karkand very different to the 64 player because of the Market cap point and the change in the location of the Square flag... it seems to change the flow

An example - the mod I was thinking of to the Gulf of Oman was a little more extensive.... the map would be narrower, cutting off the airfield. Seals would have a sub instead of the carrier (Devils Perch style). The cap point in the construction site would get moved into the town (for some urban combat), the beach points that are just forts would vanish, the ones at villages would remain. The village near the railway would get a flag, hotel flag would move to the gas station, the warehouse would become open and get a cap point, and the train would be moved / eliminated.

I think the map would be very different. I'm not talking slight changes... and I like the idea of the narrative aspect of playing out a mission that "feeds" into a vanilla scenario... maybe thats just my sense of whimsy

The one I'm most motivated to make is "Tripwire".

\\'

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard