BVC
+325|6695
So its a big particle accelerator?  Real-life phase cannon perhaps?
BMW330i
Banned
+20|6463|Montreal, Canada

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I suppose if they can invent scrolls of town portal without flooding North America with hellish demons...
lol
IntrebuloN
+8|6470

wombatman4 wrote:

all that to figure out how the world was made.  I wonder if when their attempt to make a "big bang" fails they'll realize that Someone made everything. and that when you smash things together really really fast a new universe is discovered. it's either that or they'll make up a new theory.
their theory at CERN is that that "Someone", was an entity of pure energy who clapped his proverbial hands and created matter, or the universe as we know it

what they're doing is the same thing on a relatively infintessimal scale

basically they only get  as much matter as the energy they put in

so they may create mini universes, but nothing that will have any effect on the sizeable universe that we know

they may in fact, in this research, essentially prove God exists, and that his energy was used to create everything

the church, methinks, denounces these experiements simply because they believe their ideas will soon be without much merit...

would it really be that displeasing to find out that we all are, in fact, a small piece of God in material form?

i personally don't think so

and trust me, their goal is not to disprove God, but rather what God really is...

Last edited by IntrebuloN (2006-09-20 23:39:29)

IntrebuloN
+8|6470

Pubic wrote:

So its a big particle accelerator?  Real-life phase cannon perhaps?
yeah sure, if they could build a tube full of magnets to their targets without anyone noticing rofl
IntrebuloN
+8|6470

Pubic wrote:

DONT BUY BF2142 OR ANY MORE BF2 EXPANSIONS UNTIL THEY FIX BF2!!!
um, if ppl don't buy their games, how can they justify the expense of fixing them? or making newer games down the line?

if they spent all their human resources on fixing and tweaking every little detail, they'd go broke, and we wouldnt have ANYTHING to play
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6672|Colorado
I'm very curious too see their findings & to finally have some new ideas & answers to some hard questions, all the books I have read on physics are all stuck at this spot waiting... how great the human mind is to reach several contradictions & realize that it is an error in ones thinking because there are no contradictions & then  to go out & make a new machine to learn more about what they do not know. Amazing & inspiring
Whitegreek
Sniping with the pistol...
+4|6846
Usually I'd say good on them or go for it.

but.

If they fuck this up were totally screwed, lets not forget no matter the size of a black hole it can suck all matter into a singularity, even light. I'm going to say one of these five things will happen:
1) A black hole is created, all matter on earth is sucked into a singularity and destoryed. The force of which is so powerful that atoms themselves can be destoryed.
2) A second demension is created, in which case we'll either spend trillions of dollars trying to get people onto the other side or something will come out of it. They will come and roam the earth, destory countries and a last ditch effort is then put in place to destory them, in which we fail.
3) The atoms hit each other that they either fuse together or shatter causing neclear fallout on a rather small scale (about 5 meters) because the atoms used are so stable. Thus the theory of the big bang is proven wrong.
4) The experiment happens, Murphy's law comes into play and the earth is somehow thrown into a neclear winter or an unthinkable armigeddon.
5) It happens, it works and a small transdimensional hole is created for about 0.0004 of a second, no one really cares and it is featured on the back page of the local newspaper.

Luck I'm not a betting man eh?
Z-trooper
BF2s' little helper
+209|6758|Denmark
dimension implosion ftw!
Herc82
+3|6428|Currently with the Roo's
Hi all,

Well, honestly even if the risk to blow up the planet or suck it in another dimension is (almost) nil - I probably wouldn't try it.... on the other hand with that attitude we probably woulnd't have the wheel or the automobile for that matter.

Let them try, if it doesn't work we'll probably never know (yei...isn't that comforting). It seems though that most theories here come straight from "Angels & Demons" (same author as the Da Vinci Code)...
do we have any Cern nerds playing bf2 and reading/posting on these forums that could shed some light on this affair???
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS

wombatman4 wrote:

all that to figure out how the world was made.  I wonder if when their attempt to make a "big bang" fails they'll realize that Someone made everything. and that when you smash things together really really fast a new universe is discovered. it's either that or they'll make up a new theory.
Sigh. Why should I bother? This person obviously is too similar to Jamdude - can't see facts, ignores other facts, reposts his 'facts' again and again and again...

The point isn't to make another big bang, sheesh, people!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6631|Finland

My head will soon implode from all this scientific thinking

*pop*
I need around tree fiddy.
Psykotik2912
+9|6630|Manchester, UK

Herc82 wrote:

Hi all,

Well, honestly even if the risk to blow up the planet or suck it in another dimension is (almost) nil - I probably wouldn't try it.... on the other hand with that attitude we probably woulnd't have the wheel or the automobile for that matter.

Let them try, if it doesn't work we'll probably never know (yei...isn't that comforting). It seems though that most theories here come straight from "Angels & Demons" (same author as the Da Vinci Code)...
do we have any Cern nerds playing bf2 and reading/posting on these forums that could shed some light on this affair???
I was wondering when someone would mention Angels and Demons. The post by IntrebuloN makes me think he's read it though. The whole religious-theory possibilities by creating matter from nothing.
j5f5ff
+11|6750
I hope that this leads to the invention of holo-decks!  Particle acceleration!!   YAY!
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6518|Montucky
my god.. I'm surrounded by physics nerds...
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6829
Don't worry, even if they do manage to create tiny little black holes they evaporate in a tiny fraction of a second anyway so I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.
BVC
+325|6695

IntrebuloN wrote:

Pubic wrote:

DONT BUY BF2142 OR ANY MORE BF2 EXPANSIONS UNTIL THEY FIX BF2!!!
um, if ppl don't buy their games, how can they justify the expense of fixing them? or making newer games down the line?

if they spent all their human resources on fixing and tweaking every little detail, they'd go broke, and we wouldnt have ANYTHING to play
Because if they don't fix them then people, knowing they make buggy products, won't buy future EA games and will deny EA future revenue.  1.4 seems to be stable again, so I guess I should remove that, cheers for the reminder.

And to give this a moderately on-topic slant, paying for buggy games is about as good a use as using your money as fuel for the CERN thing
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6721|Sydney, Australia

basetballjones wrote:

Black holes are not what alot of us older peeps learned in school. It has been shown that they are not the giant, space sucking, world eating monsters we once thought.  It has also been shown that objects can even gravitate all the way to the event horizon(edge of the black hole's throat) and then leave again.
Source please, or I'm just gonna have to call it... Bluff.

basetballjones wrote:

Telescopic images have shown unknown, completely new parts of the universe on the other end of a wormhole, oddly mimicing star trek, but there, nonetheless.
Again, can you provide a source?

If you want to mimic Star Trek, lets look at the Bajoran Wormhole:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Bajoran_wormhole.jpg

I can't see through to the other side...

As for "telescope", in the optical sense, the only one of significance in orbit is the Hubble Space Telescope.  However, this has not photographed any wormholes, let alone see through them.

basetballjones wrote:

Black holes may even be able to be controlled through environment, so we may one day travel through manmade, miniature black holes...

Wikipedia.org wrote:

no object beyond the event horizon of a black hole can ever escape, including light.
That is what happens... we can never do it.

Mcminty.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6631|Finland

CERN Scientists wrote:

1. Make miniature Big Bang and black holes
3. Profit
As for basetballjones' arguments, a source would be great (as mcminty pointed out).

Last edited by DonFck (2006-09-21 02:37:22)

I need around tree fiddy.
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6763

S3v3N wrote:

ATG wrote:

goobacks?
Headcrabs?

I obviously missed something; reverting to lurker status.
Goobacks (from southpark)

Headcrabs (From Half Life Trilogy)
Trilogy?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Coolbeano wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

ATG wrote:

goobacks?
Headcrabs?

I obviously missed something; reverting to lurker status.
Goobacks (from southpark)

Headcrabs (From Half Life Trilogy)
Trilogy?
It's gone a bit beyond a trilogy. Both HL and HL2 have two expansions.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS
I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt that it'll do any damage. It is SIX TO TEN STORIES BELOW GROUND. You could bury radioactive waste there (given you had a bit of lead) and no-one would notice.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6792

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

* They estimate the possibility of accidentally destroying the planet as extremely low.

* The risk is calculated at about 10 to the minus 40 - a 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance.

- REUTERS
Just wondering how they calculated that probability.  Do they have some kind of prior experience to go by?
BMW330i
Banned
+20|6463|Montreal, Canada

aardfrith wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

* They estimate the possibility of accidentally destroying the planet as extremely low.

* The risk is calculated at about 10 to the minus 40 - a 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance.

- REUTERS
Just wondering how they calculated that probability.  Do they have some kind of prior experience to go by?
Like all science, it's best guess.
twiistaaa
+87|6668|mexico
i think that these blackholes are so small that they arent stable enough to last very long, they still have alot of mass for there size but not enough to exist for very long (in comparison to something as massive as a star collapsing, we are talking about atomic scale matter) . but i know next to nothing about physics. so dont quote me.
TodErnst
It's not a bug, it's a feature
+38|6628|Muenster, Germany
I hope we don't meet the Bugs from "Starship Troopers" (the movie),
there have been enough in BF2 already

Last edited by TodErnst (2006-09-21 08:07:41)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard