LG-MindBullets
+10|6738|Kirkland, WA
A forewarning: This is just pure speculation intended to get some player response on the subject. I expect that most players will be in great support to the idea or find it completely impractical and unfair.

My friends and I who regularly play BF2 were recently discussing the idea of assigning a player's physical abilities to their in-game BF2 character. Constantly, I'm playing BF2 and thinking to myself, "these are the most out of shape soldiers I have ever seen." They have a hard time running down stairs without getting injured, can hardly sprint for 10 seconds, and can't pull themselves over ledges. Wouldn't it be interesting if your in-game character reflected what you are really capable of in real life?

Let's say for instance that EA decides to create a deal with 24 Hour Fitness and other fitness centers in various parts of the world for the purpose of recording and submitting player's physical abilites. A player would be able to go in to a qualified facility and submit themselves to testing in several areas including strength, agility, and endurance. For example, if the player is able to push 400 lbs in the test then their character will be permitted that level of strength in the game. If you are able to sprint at 15 mph while carrying a 40 lb load for twenty seconds then your in-game character should be allowed to do the same. If you can run 10 km (a little over 6 miles) at a pace of 8.5 minutes/mile while carrying a 40 lb load then your character should be able to do the same in the game. Even more variations could be taken on this. For example the same person who can run 6 miles at a 8.5 minute/mile pace with a 40 lb load might be able to run the same distance at a 7.5 minute/mile pace with a twenty lb load. As far as game application is concerned, this might mean that your character could run a 7.5 minute/mile pace for 6 miles using the sniper kit since it should be fairly light, but might run the same distance at a 8.5 minute/mile pace while using the support kit since it should in theory weigh more.

I don't think this testing should be required for the game but an option for those players who want to modify the physical attributes of their character for BF2. I also think increasing the abilities of the standard BF2 characters would be necessary, since they are desperately out of shape. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to this type of modification to the game. Obviously it will give players who are in shape an advantage in certain situations and set those who are not able to either visit a center or who just simply aren't fit to have access to the same benefits. One positive benefit that immediately comes to mind is that more gamers would be encouraged to get in shape. Unfortunately, though I think many demographics will be excluded from these benefits such as those who are younger than 15 and those who are older than 35. That's why I mentioned that the standard or default physical abilities of the in-game characters should be increased as well to whatever the average values are for all players that are tested.

This might make someone think that it's pointless to use a character that has below average physical stats when they could just use the default average stat values. However, certain players such as snipers and special forces soldiers may not care if they didn't perform well in the strength category as long as their character has the speed and endurance they desire to get themselves into strategic positions. It'd basically come down to a give and take approach.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm curious to see players thoughts on the subject.

Last edited by LG-MindBullets (2005-12-05 15:43:04)

LG-MindBullets
+10|6738|Kirkland, WA
I almost forgot. I also thought that a marksmenship testing center would be an interesting idea. You could actually test your small arms accuracy, and the percentage of deviation at various distances would determine the deviation for most of your weapons in-game. I know none of this is very practical, but it's interesting to consider.
DTAC
+9|6757
Given that you advance during the game with the procurement of medals, ribbons etc. Progressing physically would be a great idea. Something along the lines of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas where you could visit a gym, possibly at the BFHQ screen and get in shape, sharpen your skills on a firing range etc.
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6791|NRW,Germany
Problem would be the firing range part in european countries... Ok, I have not that big of a problem if my shooting results as military reserve could be used but most of the other people definately wouldn´t be able to go shooting.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6764|The United Center
i've never shot a gun in my life before, but i consider myself pretty athletic.  plus, i'm not a bad shot in paintball or laser tag

i actually really like this idea.  its definitely not for everyone, but i really think itd be interesting to incorporate into a game.  honestly, i think we might see something liek this in the future of gaming too.
BudRell
+2|6854|Home

LG-MindBullets wrote:

certain players such as snipers and special forces soldiers may not care if they didn't perform well in the strength category as long as their character has the speed and endurance they desire to get themselves into strategic positions.
Errr...what was the idea you tried to say with that ?

The idea of that "accuracy test" would be truely interesting. I wonder how many would be passed...you couldn't use aimbot u c ...
{USI}_Zombie
+11|6790
Given that you advance during the game with the procurement of medals, ribbons etc. Progressing physically would be a great idea. Something along the lines of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas where you could visit a gym, possibly at the BFHQ screen and get in shape, sharpen your skills on a firing range etc.

This idea I like, like earning medals or unlocks, you could earn, for lack of a better term, "Training points" that could be used to enhance your sprint, accuracy, situational awareness and so on.  As long as it doesn't enable an uprade to the jumping ability, if so I could see it now...a battlefield filled with hypercaffinated roger rabbits
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6791|Noizyland

Considering this would be the biggest mission in gaming history to add a feature that is not needed nor necisarily wanted, and would take people too long to 'customise,'
Hell, yeah, I'm for it.
But realisticly here people, this is not going to happen until Battlefield X comes out.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Landepaukku
Finnish bush-man
+23|6854|Finland
The future sounds a bit scary...
LG-MindBullets
+10|6738|Kirkland, WA
Well, I received some unexpected feedback on this thread. It seems a few people here got the impression that I was talking about having virtual physical training in the game for your character. While I think this would be an interesting idea worth exploring, that was not my original concept.

I was talking about having the players themselves actually physically tested at an EA approved fitness test center. I also could see a problem with trying to have players submit to a test at a firing range since many countries don't have them available to its citizens.

BudRell wrote:

LG-MindBullets wrote:

certain players such as snipers and special forces soldiers may not care if they didn't perform well in the strength category as long as their character has the speed and endurance they desire to get themselves into strategic positions.
Errr...what was the idea you tried to say with that ?
I was simply trying to say that certain players would not necessarily need to have above average physical abilities in every category. It's not important for a sniper to be able to lift or push 200 lbs to perform their duty. It's much more advantageous to a sniper to have the endurance and speed necessary to position himself in a strategic position.
Boogie
+1|6763
I feel your pain in the fact that some in game aspects are not realistic.  It is all after a game, stock characters level the playing field for the wide range of gamers that play them.  I had a friend who lost the use of his legs because of horse riding accident.  I would hate to see his in game attributes suffer b/c of something in the real world that he has suffered enough for already. 

There is enough whinning about how EA and Dice are just after the money b/w the many bugs and the release of the expansion.  Having to rent a specific server to fully play the game.  Introducing other outside profit making venues would just add more fuel to the fire IMO.

And on along the lines of cheats/hacks, having a "buddy" at said fitness gym to "enchance" someones recorded fitness report would only open the door to more debate. 

With the firing range, again EA is too worldwide to involve this aspect, there would be too much red tape and alot of negative PR from certain sides to implement.

On a personal note-while I am not out of shape I am not in tip top shape.  I would hate to compare my physical stats to say those of SEAL, Marine scout sniper, SAS, etc....dont think playing a round infantry vs infantry would notbe alot of fun for the majority of gameplayers if they had to play against a group of SEALS IMO.

And try to implement anything outside of the game for vechiles would be to unrealistic

I did like how in AA you could unlock classes by doing training missions.  having a training mission to unlock the medic class before you could play it ingame would be interesting.  Wouldn't mind seeing some sort of online training missions that could be used to gain extra eye candy while I am waiting for buddies to get online or when I am not feeling playing a map but have some time to kill.  Like a sniper range, or a sniper concealment course.  Maybe even have a tourney for stuff like that every year or something.  But thats alot of coding and would really make the game huge.

All and all it is a game after all.  And stock characters are the basis for balance.
Sud
+0|6764
Not unless they can throw in an intelligence test, such that the majority of idiots that are all too frequent in the game would be running around throwing the pins and holding the grenades.
CrunkAsHell
+0|6850|Canada
We have this already. www.goarmy.com

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6854
My girlfriend " who runs A Cardiac Unit at a NYC Hospital " have discussed this at length ( she may have been humoring me ) If you could hook the game up to a Tread mill Some how we would have the most physically fit people in the World.
LG-MindBullets
+10|6738|Kirkland, WA

Boogie wrote:

I had a friend who lost the use of his legs because of horse riding accident.  I would hate to see his in game attributes suffer b/c of something in the real world that he has suffered enough for already.
This is definetely one of the negative aspects of this type of feature. I think I already mentioned that there would be certain individuals who simply could not take advantage of the opportunity.

Boogie wrote:

And on along the lines of cheats/hacks, having a "buddy" at said fitness gym to "enchance" someones recorded fitness report would only open the door to more debate.
Yeah, my friends and I already thought about this. It could be easily exploited if there weren't preventative measures in place. You could simply have your adrenaline junky friend do all the performance tests for you.

Horseman77 wrote:

If you could hook the game up to a Tread mill Some how we would have the most physically fit people in the World.
This was actually my first idea, errr...., well not a tread mill but actually having the player perform actively while playing the game with some sort of VR system. I know, I know, none of this is practical. It's all just pure speculation. My friends and I were actually inspired by the whole idea after talking about paintball. I love paintballing because you get to actually run around a real environment and use your strengths and weaknesses against your opponents. However, paintball's expensive, it's time consuming (BF2 can be a 15 minute to several hour commitment, whereas paintball is at least a 2 hour commitment minimum to make it worth it), and it's not always readily available depending on weather and other factors. Paintball, weapons are hardly as accurate as real-world weapons as well, which can be frustrating when a single pine need splatters your paintball or your target is more than 200 meters away. So I thought it would be interesting to take the physical aspects of paintball and combine them with the convenience and freedom of a game.

CrunkAsHell wrote:

We have this already. www.goarmy.com
Yeah, this is true, but this is obviously too significant a commitment for most of us and I don't really feel like shooting real people to get some kicks. I know you're just kidding though.
||BFA||xZeler8
Expendable Miracle Worker
+1|6798
well, i shot expert on 9 mil (basically 92FS in game) and M-16...so you all would be in trouble 

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard