Raxor
Enemy Boat Spotted
+17|6833|United Kingdom
its called 'ign insider' pretty much the same thing i think...
US|dirtysouth
purple sticky punch
+0|6803|englewood FL.

B.Schuss wrote:

well, then it's probably time for IGN to get a paypal button..
lol...smart ass  j/k
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6830|Cologne, Germany

US|dirtysouth wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

well, then it's probably time for IGN to get a paypal button..
lol...smart ass  j/k
yeah, u know us germans, we are born smart-asses...
V@no
+-1|6736
You are lucky only one bot at a time visiting...last year before they optimized their bots, I got hit by 100+ google bots (all from different IPs!) at the same time, and it was every weekend! Contacted them about this, and guess what? now bots visiting maybe ones a day for a few requests. But yeah, robot.txt is also a good tool to control bots.
You might find this site usefull for more info about different types of agents:
http://www.psychedelix.com/agents.html

I was surprised to learn how many of them are "bad" bots out there...
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6775|Bulgaria
lol, looks like this guy is from Bulgaria [like me].
Anyway, it turns out that google bots can be quite nasty, I had no idea about this...
KillerAFET
+3|6769|Abilene, Texas
So now you can google your screen name and it'll bring up your posts, ranking, etc.  Big Brother has taken a giant leap!!!
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6759|AUS, Canberra

KillerAFET wrote:

So now you can google your screen name and it'll bring up your posts, ranking, etc.  Big Brother has taken a giant leap!!!
yeh i just did it!!

im going to make an account with my full name so that when someone googles me somthing comes up!!!
Mabec
Re-Member-Me
+6|6821
I hope this problem turns out good. Please keep us updated.
Obadiah
+0|6748|Wisconsin - Mooo...
Couple of points:  First, Google is evil - but in a hideously friendly way.  Second, everyone out to be ponying up some money to help offset the costs of this site.  This site adds depth to the BF2 gaming experience.
SodaBob
+-1|6832|Indiana, US

haligan wrote:

Since this is my first post here I'd like to say thanks for the stats, but I wouldn't call what you have queried your content. At most it is EAs, but don't take that as being ungrateful for what you have setup.
No, it's not his content, but the programming to make it available is.  One would be free to make a deal with EA/Dice/Gamespy/et. al. to create your own stats site directly from EA's stats data, but "scraping" Chuy's site to grab that same data, via his hard and excellent work, would be unethical and not very nice.

Bob.

Last edited by SodaBob (2005-11-07 09:07:31)

m4sopmod
+1|6742
There is a paypal button in bf2s
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6809

Mabec wrote:

I hope this problem turns out good. Please keep us updated.
Um.. dude, this topic is from August, wtf?
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6778|Singapore

r0fl. KILL THE ROBOTS! MAKE CHUY KING!
TrevorP
+0|6782
How do you know that someone isnt running a script that visits at apparently random times to random ids and DBs them?
Lazarus Tag'lim
Have Wrench, Will Travel
+1|6769|Alabama Coast, USA
Are you asking about trying to get copies of all of the players stats stored on this site?

Because I think Chuy hit 250,000 users... and if you could pull 1 per second, it would take almost 3 days to get them all, and I'm pretty sure Chuy would notice the same IP address requesting 3,600 stat pages an hour.

Slow it down to once per minute (which I think Chuy would *still* notice, as I would imagine that would still put that IP at the top of a usage list), and now by the time you're done, for the first player you pulled, their stats are almost 6 months old.

Erm, basically if you wanted to get all the content on this site, you'd either get noticed, or have to be so slow that by the time you got 10% into it, it's already stale and out of date...  and who knows, by the time you'd finish, this site would be long gone, and Chuy would be working on BF3S.com (though I suppose that would depend on how masochistic he is).
MattCicioni
+1|6818|Arizona
Lol,
wow googlie is freaky.  try looking up my name

MattCicioni

I have a personal web site, but along with that, I have stat pages that popped up for bf2 and a whole bunch of counter strike profiles.... perhaps I should use a fake name... naw...I want people to know how crappy....er I mean awesome I am at bf2.

I have two pages from google all just for me!
nuttydave
+-3|6734|Bristol UK
the dam dirty stat whoring scraping bastards kick them in the nutz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard