Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6635|Camp XRay

yeah that does kinda suck, but i think something close to that is doable if he research his options.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6455|Stealth City, UK

Marlboroman82 wrote:

taxi2you wrote:

I don't think you can get what you want really without some big sacrafices.  Start off with the best cpu and MB you can afford with 1gig RAM.  Then try to find a starter vid card off ebay or a friend until you can afford one.  My computer is almost 3 years old and I am still one of the first in the game and I have absolutely no lag or connection problems.  It is also a work in progress.  I just ordered my liquid cooling system yesterday from Danger Den and earlier this year added 2gig ram and a vid card.   A good gaming system on a budget takes time.  When you go to upgrade don't do it half assed and end up having to replace it later with the part you really wanted.
read the whole fucking thread next. i gave him almost exactly what he wanted and then some. i did not skimp on anything and i still came in under his budget.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wi … Title=mine
Mate....you have to remember hes from the UK....there's hardly any US sites that deliver to the UK and as Pessimist said there's VAT and tax. The price you stated is also the US equivilant and the UK equivilant is going to be a load more!
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6632|Mhz

I see no-one can be arsed to shop around for the stuff i listed... I find it unlikly that what i got was the cheapest prices for it.
swedge
+23|6471|haggis hill
well im off to work just now but ill hae a look around n see what price i can get for that rig
younggun
+28|6656
I think he should just go for the E6400...Easily stable at 8*400 24/7 with an aftermarket cooler. Much cheaper in price too...

I only say this b/c he's on a budget and you both gave him the E6600...when you could have offered up the E6400 for $100 less.

You only need to get DDR2 667mhz RAM as most of them will do 900mhz speed anyway...if going for a super over the top OC then I would say go for 800mhz RAM but in most cases 667 will be fine.

Team Group makes cheap, tightly timed RAM that is very good. Patriot has some very nice 2*1GB 667mhz for $180 (usd)
wws4029
+5|6500|WALES UK
Mine is an AMD x2 4800+, Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe board, 200GB SATA, Usual drives ( dvd RW, DVD Rom, Floppy ) 650W PSU, Arianet standard Black case, 4GB RAM, XFX 7800GTX 512MB Graphics Card+ PCI Exhaust Fan.

Had monitor , keyboard and mouse. Built the above system myself and cost me £825 inc postage ( CPU from portugal, RAM from US)

Runs sweet as a nut and runs BF2 no problems maxed out and benchmark of around 7500 on 3DMark06 ( cant remember exact score)

My seceret...........     www.ebay.co.uk

Bargains galore and all parts were brand new. Took 3 weeks to get what I wanted for the right price but well worth it.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6632|Mhz

younggun wrote:

I think he should just go for the E6400...Easily stable at 8*400 24/7 with an aftermarket cooler. Much cheaper in price too...

I only say this b/c he's on a budget and you both gave him the E6600...when you could have offered up the E6400 for $100 less.

You only need to get DDR2 667mhz RAM as most of them will do 900mhz speed anyway...if going for a super over the top OC then I would say go for 800mhz RAM but in most cases 667 will be fine.

Team Group makes cheap, tightly timed RAM that is very good. Patriot has some very nice 2*1GB 667mhz for $180 (usd)
theres only like £50 between the two of them hense i went for the 6600

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2006-09-16 14:39:16)

Capt. Foley
+155|6600|Allentown, PA, USA

wws4029 wrote:

Mine is an AMD x2 4800+, Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe board, 200GB SATA, Usual drives ( dvd RW, DVD Rom, Floppy ) 650W PSU, Arianet standard Black case, 4GB RAM, XFX 7800GTX 512MB Graphics Card+ PCI Exhaust Fan.

Had monitor , keyboard and mouse. Built the above system myself and cost me £825 inc postage ( CPU from portugal, RAM from US)

Runs sweet as a nut and runs BF2 no problems maxed out and benchmark of around 7500 on 3DMark06 ( cant remember exact score)

My seceret...........     www.ebay.co.uk

Bargains galore and all parts were brand new. Took 3 weeks to get what I wanted for the right price but well worth it.
Recomend you start shopping around on ebay for a 700W to 750W power supply. The new DX10 cards are supposed to take like 300W and I dont know if you 650W will be enough. Anyways prices might jump if alot of people end up having to upgrade there PSU.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6594|SE London

How about:

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz
      Asus P5N32-SLi Premium WiFi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
      GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
      BFG GeForce 7950 GT OC 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
      Samsung SpinPoint T HD300LJ 300GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM     
      Pioneer DVR-111BK 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
      Seasonic S12 500W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply
      Antec P180 Advanced Super Midi Tower Case - No PSU

For £1094.

I know you wanted two 7900GTs but to get that you'll sacrifice on other speeds and the 7950 with 512MB on it is pretty damn quick. You've got to remember RAM is very important, 800MHz low latency DDR2 will serve you well. The Core 2 Duos are great and the 6600 seems to me to be the best balance of performance to cost. Seasonic make awesome power supplies, only seem to do up to 600W though, if you want something bigger than that try Tagan. The Samsung Spinpoint drives perform extremely well, I've built 3 systems with them in and since seeing the performance I've been recommending them all over the place, really quick drives. The Pioneer DVD-RW is one of the best around, outperforming virtually everything and without the premium price tag you get on Plextors. The case, well I like it, you might want to pick something cheaper or more to your tastes.

But remember - get a Core 2 Duo, don't cheap out on your RAM - you want 800MHz DDR and get nice parts don't cheap out to try and get more graphics power out of it, oh and don't buy Raptors - waste of money, only a tiny bit faster and noisy as fuck, as well as being too small to be practical and needing defraging every 5 minutes. If you really want fast hard drives get SCSI drives, not Raptors.
swedge
+23|6471|haggis hill
ok found where u got it from, looks good and good price aswel

Last edited by swedge (2006-09-17 11:17:18)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard