Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6601
The old topic was deleted, but since certain people insist on continuing to refer to it, I believe discussion ought continue (and I will refrain from commenting on the spinelessness of the person who closed the thread).

Just out of curiousity, what do people think the police should have done?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6569|Global Command
Taken you out instead?
=RvE=kbgfighter
+16|6672|Oslo, NORWAY
Lol
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6846|The planet Tophet
what are we talking about?
Nohurrie32
+3|6713
Having been born and raised and currently reside in socal....I remember in 99 or 2000 LAPD shot a homeless LADY brandishing a SCREWDRIVER! almost forgot the 13 year old shot while driving by LAPD

IMHO... The police should only be able match  the force being presented...if the perp has a knife give the fool enough room and then have ur backup surround the idiot sooner or later they all mess up especially if they are 17 and female or even better wasted on drugs or alcohol....

I know that policing is one job that takes some real training and courage...probably one of the most undervalued parts of america today that and education....

on another note want to end all those stupid car chases.... make a law that extends ur prison sentence 1 month for each mile driven..... SEE HOW LONG THEY RUN THEN!!!
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6482|Stealth City, UK

Nohurrie32 wrote:

on another note want to end all those stupid car chases.... make a law that extends ur prison sentence 1 month for each mile driven..... SEE HOW LONG THEY RUN THEN!!!
Surely they dont care about the sentence they'd get anyway! They run because they think they're going to get away and therefore they wont be charged, so thats just stupid!
Nohurrie32
+3|6713

buLLet_t00th wrote:

Nohurrie32 wrote:

Surely they dont care about the sentence they'd get anyway! They run because they think they're going to get away and therefore they wont be charged, so thats just stupid!
Hello, most of these idiots run from dui or broken taillight....not from a murder or bank robbery (rarely).... they run but THEY ALL GET CAUGHT FOOL.....
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

Nohurrie32 wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

Nohurrie32 wrote:

Hello, most of these idiots run from dui or broken taillight....not from a murder or bank robbery (rarely).... they run but THEY ALL GET CAUGHT FOOL.....
Why do they run in the first place....surely if they were all as smart as you think they are theyd just stop and say 'howdy Mr Policemean please arrest me'.....but they RUN!! So your idea is just GAY!

If you think about what you're proposing, its stupid and wouldnt work at all as a deterent, theres laws already there and thgy still break them!
Its like the death penalty....doesn't work!!

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2006-09-16 08:27:09)

KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6492|Cambridge, UK

Bubbalo wrote:

...and I will refrain from commenting on the spinelessness of the person who closed the thread....
nice contratiction - looks like a comment to me!
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6870|Denver colorado
any kinda of mele weapon can be good aganst a gun.. but, a screwdriver.. thats pretty fucked up.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6618|Florida

*TS*tphai wrote:

RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6520|Somewhere else

IF she was drugged, under some psychoactive drug, she may have been crazed and out of control, maybe dangerous with the knife.. But shooting her for it is beyond fucked up.  ITs sad when the sickfucks are the police. Not in most cases mind you, but occasionally, the dangerous people are wearing the badge.

Im sure they are being defended with "Self defense" as a case. But if you are a cop, youd better damn well be able to make a good decision, especially when that choice is to kill someone.  A girl, a young girl, could easily be subdued with a police batton to the hand and then another to the head. Jesus, I could do it. And they are TRAINED for situations like that. The cop is Either messed up in the head or a fucking moron. Either way, he is completely unfit for a badge. Fuck him.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6870|Denver colorado

RoosterCantrell wrote:

IF she was drugged, under some psychoactive drug, she may have been crazed and out of control, maybe dangerous with the knife.. But shooting her for it is beyond fucked up.  ITs sad when the sickfucks are the police. Not in most cases mind you, but occasionally, the dangerous people are wearing the badge.

Im sure they are being defended with "Self defense" as a case. But if you are a cop, youd better damn well be able to make a good decision, especially when that choice is to kill someone.  A girl, a young girl, could easily be subdued with a police batton to the hand and then another to the head. Jesus, I could do it. And they are TRAINED for situations like that. The cop is Either messed up in the head or a fucking moron. Either way, he is completely unfit for a badge. Fuck him.
true! and sorry topic starter for talking about the 'wrong?' topic but we dont know what got deleted.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
Why couldnt they just shoot her in the leg or in the shoulder? Wasnt it 15 bullets and some from the back (I dont really know because its not been shown a lot in the UK)? Our police dont carry guns, unless its the actual armed response unit, so all they have is pepper spray and an extendable baton. They probably would've taken a lot of distance if this happened in the UK and tried to calm her down, so if shooting a person dead is the American way I think those who were involved should be extremely punished and made an example of so this kind of thing never happened again!
ATG
Banned

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank wrote:

*TS*tphai wrote:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=44599
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6601
and the topic dissapears, yet again!

Also, I'm a mindless, soulless bastard for thinking that innocent civilians shouldn't be shot.  Which is odd, since I'm also a lizard, and I don't think they marry, so it would have been hard for my father to have sex out of marriage............maybe my owner is one of those freaks who marries his pets?

Last edited by Bubbalo (2006-09-16 12:26:11)

ATG
Banned
You are, you own it.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6601
Oooooooh, what do I own?

You know, the funny thing is, you have yet to tell me why this incident is worse the soldiers killing unarmed civilians.
bobby177
+129|6514|Texas.. getting out asap
They should have killed her and they did. She approached them with a knife and did not drop it when ordered. What else is there to do?
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6518|Communist Republic of CA, USA

bobby177 wrote:

They should have killed her and they did. She approached them with a knife and did not drop it when ordered. What else is there to do?
QFT
ATG
Banned
Animals, drooling over road kill is all you are.

Bubs, your hopeless.
HUNTINGTON BEACH IS NOT A COMBAT ZONE>

eMarine wrote:

Nope happy shes dead, and fuck you to.
sigh...no wonder people hate America so much. Sad, really sad.

Last edited by ATG (2006-09-16 13:52:48)

Choclot
+21|6582
if i had some drugged phyco running at me with a knife, id shoot her too. when a drugged ap person is running at you, all that shit goes out the window
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6832
It's nothing new that the police make mistakes and shoot innocent victims.  Two notable cases in the UK that I remember - one was the famous shooting of John Charles de Menezes on the London Underground because the police "thought he was a suicide bomber" and one was the less internationally-famous shooting of a guy in Yorkshire who had a table-leg in a plastic bag.  In the second case, the police had been tipped off that it was a sawn-off shotgun so they sent armed officers (not all our police being armed) to confront him and they shot him before realising the mistake.

So, to summarise, innocent people sometimes get shot.  However, since the original thread was deleted - methinks the mods here are a little over-zealous at times - I know nothing about what happened.  Anyone got a link to a news story?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6601

ATG wrote:

HUNTINGTON BEACH IS NOT A COMBAT ZONE>
So you're telling me that unarmed children which have been searched out present more threat than a woman with a knife because of their location?
F.I.D.O.
+0|6472
I'm not sure if this information was posted before due to the deletion. Understand I am not trying to form an opinion about the shooting since I was not there. I would like to provide some information that may lead to understanding of why this could happen.

First, at least in my state law enforcement officers are taught to "shoot to stop", not shoot to kill. They are taught to aim center mass for several reasons. Some are, well it should be the biggest part of the target. Also when shooting to stop, at center mass the human body has some large arteries and things in that area. If the bleed out they will be stopped, by passing out due to blood loss and yes, death. Another reason is that in a stressful situation people will get tunnel vision, fine motor skills go out the window etc., mostly due to the sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system response.

They are never taught to shoot the leg or arm. I agree that a good shot to the leg could immobilize someone or slow them down, but they can still be a threat. As I am sure most of you know certain drugs allow the pain threshold of a person to increase making them more of a threat. To comment on the baton, hitting in the head is a no-no and of course off limits.

Another thing I would like to point out is that it is an accepted belief that a person with a edged weapon is a credible threat up to a distance of 21 feet. I have seen videos where they would hand someone a felt marker (sharpie) and place them 21 feet from someone with a training gun in a holster. They would tell the guy with the gun (who simulates the police) that the guy with the sharpie is going to come towards him. The sharpie represents the knife. Every time, even with the "cop" having prior knowledge that the other person was going to rush him, could cover the 21 feet and mark all over the "cop" to simulate edged weapon injuries, before he could draw his weapon. Understand that the holster used by law enforcement is usually a level three security holster which requires three actions to remove the weapon. I hope this can try to explain why deadly force was used when the girl had a knife.

Even though the girl was 5-04 in height, and 120lbs (I believe), she could still kill someone just as quickly as a grown man who weighed 220lbs., or a 70 year old man. Even if one of the officers tried to disarm her, if he was unable to grab her arm in that instant she could have cut him in the neck, even or stab him. If you try to fight someone bare handed when the other on has a knife, your going to get cut.

I doubt that the officers wanted to fire their weapons, but if they perceived her as a threat when she supposedly lunged towards them they only had less than a split second to make a decision that could affect whether she lived or died, or they lived or died. Surely their choice will be second guessed for several years when again they only had a very small amount of time to decide.

I would like to think or hope that if a less than lethal option was available they would have used that instead. Based on what I have been able to find it was not available to the officer at the time.

I have no doubt that there are officers that abuse their authority, and they suck. Not all of us abuse it though. I have always preferred to talk my way through something instead of using force if I can. The chance of injury in the use of force is equal for both the police and the suspect. I honestly hope that the day I have to use mine never comes because having to end one's life I think will have negative lasting effects for EVERYONE involved.

In closing I hope that the day comes when law enforcement doesn't have to arm themselves, but I don't think it will happen. I am not supporting the officers actions in this incident since I don't know all the facts. If they were wrong then so be it and they should answer for it. I just wanted to provide some insight.

Last edited by F.I.D.O. (2006-09-17 04:25:18)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard