CreepingDeath
+1|6736
I think its about time to start a class action lawsuit . .
When I was younger, I commited 2 crimes.A, B and E which I didnt do. Court oppionted LAWYER.
And I got caught with weed, a joint worth. Again I had a Court oppionted LAWYER.
  When I was sentenced, among time in jail, I had to pay back court costs and LAWYER FEES ?
Havent didnt the goverment violate my rights by doing this? I am wondering how many people have been conviced of a crime and was made to pay back lawyer fees?

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to be speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning.

" If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense".
FeloniousMonk
+0|6727
http://www.usconstitution.net/miranda.html

The more complete phrasing is:

You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Do you understand?
Anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand?
You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future. Do you understand?
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. Do you understand?
If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney. Do you understand?
Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?
The local, state, or federal government agency that arrests you is required to give you access to an attorney. The Miranda reading is a statement of the rights that you have, not a promise by the police or an actual law they have to follow. The only things inherent to due process are your right to not incriminate yourself and the right to have proper legal representation.

So no, you don't have a case. Public defenders are appointed at highly discounted rates and often many people don't have to pay for them. Your particular state, county, or city government may have provisions in its' own law that require you compensate the government for its' services. This is no way contradicts the rights preserved by the Constitution. Besides, if convicted you would most certainly have to pay for the lawyer fees of the prosecution.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard