Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6742|Singapore
I type renderer.drawfps 1, i see 2 numbers. Sometimes its 100/10. Then when i am in a croweded area, it reaches 30/20.

Last edited by Ayumiz (2006-09-14 18:44:13)

-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6634|Quebec city, Canada
the amount of images you get per second

the higher it is, the better

edit: ok the left one is the real fps number (frames per second) and the right one is the number (~) of miliseconds between 2 images (i think)

Last edited by -=raska=- (2006-09-14 18:45:46)

Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6742|Singapore
Btw my specs are 2gb and a 7800gt card. How could i have gotten 30/20? Btw its a server with 100 ping and my graphics are all high except dynamic light and shadows which are set to medium.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6634|Quebec city, Canada
by your last post it seems you already knew what fps mean...

anyway its normal to get 30 fps in crowded areas even with a 7800 gt. Dont worry about your system
oberst_enzian
+234|6751|melb.au
this has been covered before.

dynamic light really hits your fps - try playing without it and see the difference. playing all high with aax2 and with dynamic light off (2bg, 7900gt) i still get as low as 30 on maps like iron gator when a whole bunch of players all nade spam the same corridor...
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6742|Singapore
So i should off dynamic light eh?
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6606|Seattle

Ayumiz wrote:

So i should off dynamic light eh?
The question is really: Do you notice a difference when you see the FPS drop? If not, leave it be.

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2006-09-14 21:45:55)

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6742|Singapore
on local servers, No but on overseas, yes.
oberst_enzian
+234|6751|melb.au
yeah, king_county_downy is right - it all depends on what you want to compromise for good fps. depends on how much you like your pretties. personally, i sacrificed dynamic light to mak sure my fps never drops lower than 30, as i reckon that anything below that starts to noticeably jerk and get unplayable.

besides - dynamic light and high shadows etc also means that others who have it at off/low have an advantage over you, if that matters...
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6742|Singapore
Hmm what exactly is dynamic lights and shadows? Any example? A screenie perhaps?
oberst_enzian
+234|6751|melb.au
an example: if you stand near the satellite tailer with the spinning radar, dynamic shadows will show you a shadow that moves with the radar as it spins. having this off won't.

having lighting on high and dynamic shadows on means that you will see dark patches and more gradations in the lighting than people who don't. this works against you because obviously they can see clearly what you see as dark and shadowy. so its easier for them to see you against the background, and sometimes you might also find yourself hinding in places that look dark to you, which are actually completely clear to others...
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6682|Houston, Texas
dynamic should be set to low or off in my opinion... it looks good but why sacrifice frames and be at a disadvantage?
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6742|Singapore

-=raska=- wrote:

by your last post it seems you already knew what fps mean...

anyway its normal to get 30 fps in crowded areas even with a 7800 gt. Dont worry about your system
Hmm normal? I mean the karkand hotel:P iron gator yes lol.
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6771

Or just get X1900xtx and then you don't have to worry about frames dropping too much... even at 6xAA 16xAF :-D
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6742|Singapore
Hmm can anyone experiment it out? Someone preferbly with 2gb ram and a 7800gt card or a 7900gt? Try to be in a crowded area and show your fps here?
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6742|Singapore
Is it normal to have 30-40fps in a full fleteched firefight? Eg. Karkand hotel's nade spam and tank spawn camping?
Kenthar
Resident Dragon Fanatic
+21|6555
Dynamic light should be at least set to Low so you can see muzzle flash from guns.
acidkiller187
+123|6639
Fat People Suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
subz3r0mkt
+27|6685
If you want a better idea of what the differences between graphic settings look like then check out:

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_5.html

and scroll down to Video

Personally I prefer a mix of Low and Medium settings with AA x2 and AF on High to give a smooth yet enjoyable experience.

https://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6238/musicsmiley014zj7.gif

Last edited by subz3r0mkt (2006-09-15 21:06:49)

ilyandor
+31|6697|Phoenix, AZ
the human brain can not notice the difference between 24 fps and above.
subz3r0mkt
+27|6685

ilyandor wrote:

You can definately "feel" the difference in most cases.
greenhaven
+47|6474
That's odd, I have an X1800 and I don't have issues in crowded areas. I only play at 1024 though.
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6742|Singapore
I have tested it out. Whenever i am at square and the USMC is rushing to capture it, frames will sometimes drop as low to 25 then rising to the 30-40-50fps range. Is it normal? For curosity's sake, do u guys update your vid card drivers?
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6574|England

FPS also depends on what the engine is rendering. i.e. areas with LOTS of detail will mean the engine is "drawing" a lot more detail on your screen = lower FPS.
Areas with little detail, equals quicker draw time = higher FPS.

I used to do a bit of mapping for CS and CSS, and the rule of thumb was to limit what the engine was drawing with "blockers", i.e. buildings to block line of sight.

Example, you are at a corner of a building. The engine will be drawing what can be seen both in front and behind of your current position. It will also most likely be drawing around the corner a certain distance. Its quite complicated, but can be changed/restricted with good mapping.
If you are interested, just google "VIS Blockers" and you will find a wealth of info.

As I say, that was for CSS. I assume its the same with any game since its how they work.

Therefore...karkand, nade spamming/armour spawnraping/claywhores and god knows how many bullets = lots for the engine to draw = low FPS.
Same area with half the people = higher FPS.
Thats why they have the fog in the map - otherwise the engine would be drawing a lot more of the map beyond the fog which would mean higher FPS. Not good.

With karkand being the (fucked up) way it is, low FPS is inevitable - especially on high settings, regardless of your own high system specs.

Last edited by Snake (2006-09-16 07:39:46)

bobgreen5s
+0|6699

ilyandor wrote:

Thats only true when your passively watching moving images (like a movie) not when you are actively playing a game.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard