• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • The new KILLER NIC "The real deal or Complete BUllshit?"
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6717|USA
Not sure how true their ad is but here's the link to the new KillerNic.

http://www.killernic.com/KillerNic/

Just wanted to get some other peoples thoughts on this.
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6546|Sverige (SWE)
DonĀ“t know.... not a computer geek
WyrdNyrd
+6|6488|Mesa, AZ
I am very skeptical about this card and it's price. I'll be waiting for a review before I even think about getting it. To me it's a waste of money that can be better spent elsewhere on your rig.
brome
brap.
+244|6589|Accidental, TK
Looks like a cool little thing... until you see the pricetag.  Honestly, 280 usd is not what I'm prepared to pay to slightly reduce my lag... it probably wouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference on my hunk of crap anyway Funny, the first sentece asks if you're 1337
fierce
I love [fiSh]
+167|6570
Bullshit and waste of money.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6625|Camp XRay

http://gear.ign.com/articles/729/729733p2.html

if i could afford it i would def get one. that thing looks fucking badass. also from the reviews it has received it seems to be backing up all the claims the company made. wow
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
bob_baur
+5|6773|UK
what it claims maybe true, but then there is your network connection to the internet(router), then the internet itself, then the server you attach to. what this nic will do for you is make windows and apps run quicker, not your general network connection, it will free space up for the rest of your system. So if you are running a intensive cpu program then fine glad to have the extra cycles. for a sub standard system fine but surely at that price memory or graphics is your first port of call.
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6593|Your attic
Like the physics cards that everyone was raving about a few months ago this, for now, will be a fad.

I reckon in about a year or two from now these types of add on cards will be advanced enough to work well and be worth the money. But for now the improvement you get for the amount of money you spend is not good enough unless you are already a top end gamer (as this card is currently marketed towards) who has the money and feels the need to get that one little step up on the competition.

For the rest of us mere mortals though, I don't think it'd be worth it.

Last edited by Towelly (2006-09-15 11:47:22)

WyrdNyrd
+6|6488|Mesa, AZ

bob_baur wrote:

what it claims maybe true, but then there is your network connection to the internet(router), then the internet itself, then the server you attach to. what this nic will do for you is make windows and apps run quicker, not your general network connection, it will free space up for the rest of your system. So if you are running a intensive cpu program then fine glad to have the extra cycles. for a sub standard system fine but surely at that price memory or graphics is your first port of call.
Most (if not all) NICs, integrated or add-on, are capable of doing CPU-offload so there are no extra cycles that are being taken away from the CPU.
dstock9
+13|6607

Marlboroman82 wrote:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/729/729733p2.html

if i could afford it i would def get one. that thing looks fucking badass. also from the reviews it has received it seems to be backing up all the claims the company made. wow
I'll agree, it looks sweet. But I want to see a real test. I mean, comeon, they were using rigs that were already way overloaded, and people with computers like that aren't going to have the money to drop $280 for a NIC. And the numbers, while they showed a correlation, were still awful. 9-24 FPS for the non-equipped computer vs 12-35 for the computer with the NIC.
bob_baur
+5|6773|UK
read the spec. go fish
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6724|Oregon
i should probably spend money on a not-free modem and a not-$10 router first...i do have 10megabit down...
kilgoretrout
+53|6472|Little Rock, AR

[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober wrote:

i should probably spend money on a not-free modem and a not-$10 router first...i do have 10megabit down...
definitely do that.  i have the same internet connection at my house and my office, but my office uses the piece of shit 2 wire dsl modem and we have a good modem and router at our house.  it makes a huge difference.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6846|Waikato, Aotearoa
Watse of money. Stuff like latency and high ping times are to with things like your ISP type (broadband or dial up) and speed (56K or 512kbps) and have little to with this card. I currently have a pipe size of about 17meg running from my onboard NIC to the modem (downstream of between 512-2mbps).
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6721|Las Vegas
If you are the kind of person who routinely spends over $2000 a year on PC upgrades, by all means, this product is for you.   Otherwise......move along, there are MUCH better ways to waste money than this.
MECtallica
+73|6506|jalalabad
this card is for the eliteist that must have THE fastest computer.
spud924
+12|6455|The Sticks, WA, USA
all i have to say is $280 for a NIC card? yeah right
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • The new KILLER NIC "The real deal or Complete BUllshit?"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard