Chou
+737|6809
A North Philadelphia man has been charged with killing his young daughter after she was violently punched over a video game. "My baby is gone at the hands of her father," the 21-year-old mother Mia Turman. "I have to put her in the ground, I shouldn't have to do this."

When Turman went to take a nap, she left her 17-month-old baby Alayiah under the care of the 25-year-old father, Tyrone Spellman, who also goes by the name of Anwar Salahuddin.

Turman said that after she woke, "I asked why my baby not breathing. He says, 'She's breathing.' Her eyes were closed."

Turman then called police but it was too late to save Alayiah. "His confession was she pulled the cords in the game, the system is -- the box itself -- fell, and he was upset and then responsible for paying for the game, so he hit her in her face twice," Turman said.

Police arrested Spellman over the weekend and charged him with murder, endangering the welfare of a child and possessing an instrument of crime.

https://images.ibsys.com/2006/0911/9824285_320X240.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14790699/

PHILADELPHIA - A 25-year-old North Philadelphia man has been charged with killing his young daughter. The mother said 17-month-old Alayiah was violently punched by Tyrone Spellman over a video game.

"My baby is gone at the hands of her father," Mia Turman said tearfully. "I have to put her in the ground, I shouldn't have to do this."

As the 21-year-old took a nap inside their row-home on the 1500 block of 29th Street, Turman left Alayiah in the care of Spellman, who also goes by the name Anwar Salahuddin.

Turman said that when she woke, "I asked why my baby not breathing. He says, 'She's breathing.' Her eyes were closed."

Turman phoned police around noon. Medics responded and took Alayiah to Temple University Hospital, where the little girl was pronounced dead at 12:37 p.m.

Police arrested Spellman, who lives on the 1500 block of North 29th Street, over the weekend.

He was charged with murder, endangering the welfare of a child and possessing an instrument of crime.

A medical examiner performed an autopsy on the child.

"His confession was she pulled the cords in the game, the system is -- the box itself -- fell, and he was upset and then responsible for paying for the game, so he hit her in her face twice," Turman said, adding that Spellman also allegedly slung the child over a chair.

Eight-months pregnant with another baby girl, Turman was struggling with how to cope. She said she fell in love with a man who had never been violent before, and she wanted to know what would possess someone to kill a child.

"You can't give me a good enough answer to say why you would kill your baby," Turman said.

The couple's second baby will be born with her dad charged with killing the sister she never met.

"I do not understand this. I will never understand this," Turman said.

NBC 10 reporter Deanna Durante said a note on the door of the North Philadelphia row-home Monday night said not to judge Spellman because he would never hurt a child.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discuss please

Last edited by Choumichel (2006-09-13 09:21:47)

SGT.Slayero
+98|6483|Life in a vacuum sucks

Last edited by SGT.Slayero (2006-09-13 09:03:08)

DavidianCox
...from the internet
+60|6675|Birmingham
dude that is wrong
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6754|Salt Lake City

This is why some people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

I'm curious though.  What exactly constitutes, "...possessing an instrument of crime."
xINTERMISSIONx
+71|6575|A dark hole....

DavidianCox wrote:

dude that is wrong
VERY WRONG
ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6574|Scotland
instrument of crime?
Chou
+737|6809

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

I'm curious though.  What exactly constitutes, "...possessing an instrument of crime."
§ 907. Possessing instruments of crime.

(a) Criminal instruments generally.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses any instrument of crime with intent to employ it criminally.

(b) Possession of weapon.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a firearm or other weapon concealed upon his person with intent to employ it criminally.

(c) Unlawful body armor.--A person commits a felony of the third degree if in the course of the commission of a felony or in the attempt to commit a felony he uses or wears body armor or has the control, custody or possession any body armor.

(d) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Body armor."
Any protective covering for the body, or parts thereof, made of any polyaramid fiber or any resin-treated glass fiber cloth or any material or combination of materials made or designed to prevent, resist, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knife, cutting or piercing instrument or any other weapon.
"Instrument of crime."
Any of the following:
Anything specially made or specially adapted for criminal use.
Anything used for criminal purposes and possessed by the actor under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for lawful uses it may have.
"Weapon."
Anything readily capable of lethal use and possessed under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for lawful uses which it may have. The term includes a firearm which is not loaded or lacks a clip or other component to render it immediately operable, and components which can readily be assembled into a weapon.
jord
+2,382|6696|The North, beyond the wall.

ddenholm67 wrote:

instrument of crime?
His fist.

What was that about body armour,it's illegal?

Last edited by jord (2006-09-13 09:09:19)

dlbenson1979
Mr. 20,000
+23|6492
This is truly a sad sad situation for not only this family, but for the gaming community in general. Far too many times, the government and protestors have blamed video games for its violence.

I feel this really hit at home with me because in the heat of the moment, I have thrown a control across the room in blind rage. I have a baby due any day now and I do not want to continue to have this temper while my child are present. I would never ever want to have a game create that sort of situation. Games, no matter how fun, are simply just "games."

I'm sure on a forum board, someone will be immature enough to laugh or poke fun, but this is a black mark and something that we all enjoy. Rest assured, this will be publicized as far as the media and government see it fit.

Perhaps, my own eyes have been opened, and it is myself who needs to set an example for my own children when it comes to handling yourself.
Chou
+737|6809
What is an Instrument of Crime?
An instrument of crime is anything specially made or specially adapted for criminal use, or an object that is commonly used for criminal purposes.  Instruments of crime are sometimes referred to as "derivative contraband."  Examples of an instrument of crime include:

Lock picking devices,
Firearm or other illegal weapon,
Drill bits,
Screwdrivers or other tools,
Controlled substances, or
Drug paraphernalia.
When Can Someone be Guilty of Possessing an Instrument of Crime?
Many states make it a crime to possess an instrument of crime in certain circumstances.  Generally, in order to be guilty and later punished for the crime of possessing an instrument of crime, a person must:

Have direct physical control over the instrument of crime,
Have the intent to use the instrument of crime in a criminal activity, and
The instrument of crime cannot serve a lawful purpose under the circumstances.
What Punishment Can I Face for Possessing an Instrument of Crime?
Possessing an instrument of crime is generally a misdemeanor offense.  As such, a person found guilty can face criminal punishment that can include:

Jail time, ranging from 3 days to 5 years,
Fines, ranging from $500 to $10,000,
Community service,
Forfeiture of the property,
Parole or probation, or
Loss of driver's license.
These punishments do not generally take into account a person's previous criminal history.  Because possessing an instrument of crime is generally associated with a repeat criminal offender, their punishment can be greater because of a violation of their parole or probation agreement.

Do I Need an Attorney if I am Charged with Possessing an Instrument of Crime?
If you are charged with possessing an instrument of crime, it is highly recommended that you contact a criminal defense attorney.  Only an attorney will be able to explain the relevant issues and help in your defense.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6667

Choumichel wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

(a) Criminal instruments generally.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses any instrument of crime with intent to employ it criminally.

(b) Possession of weapon.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a firearm or other weapon concealed upon his person with intent to employ it criminally.

(c) Unlawful body armor.--A person commits a felony of the third degree if in the course of the commission of a felony or in the attempt to commit a felony he uses or wears body armor or has the control, custody or possession any body armor.

(d) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Body armor."
Any protective covering for the body, or parts thereof, made of any polyaramid fiber or any resin-treated glass fiber cloth or any material or combination of materials made or designed to prevent, resist, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knife, cutting or piercing instrument or any other weapon.
"Instrument of crime."
Any of the following:
Anything used for criminal purposes and possessed by the actor under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for lawful uses it may have.
"Weapon."
Anything readily capable of lethal use and possessed under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for lawful uses which it may have. The term includes a firearm which is not loaded or lacks a clip or other component to render it immediately operable, and components which can readily be assembled into a weapon.
Just curious, what's wrong with wearing body armour?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6547|Global Command
Terrible act.
People don't realize how fragile they are.
RaVeN.sco
+15|6552|Scotland
I hope he likes his new life in prison as some big fat doodes biatch ! he deserve's to have his testicles cut off

speaking as a dad myself, i have no understanding of how someone could do this to a baby, let alone your OWN baby.
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6712|Howell, Mi USA
Thats just sick, he should be shot in tEh face.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
Chou
+737|6809

ghettoperson wrote:

Choumichel wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

"Body armor."
"Instrument of crime."
Any of the following:
"Weapon."
Bulletproof vests are legal in most countries. One exception is Australia, where body armor has been prohibited for some time. This ban may have its origins in the late 19th century, when the iconic Australian outlaw and folk hero Ned Kelly used home-made armor with mixed results. While the steel armor worn by Kelly defeated the soft lead, low velocity bullets fired by police Martini-Henry rifles, it greatly restricted his movement.

United States Law 18 USC 931 provides that:

(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (b), it shall be unlawful for a person to purchase, own, or possess body armor, if that person has been convicted of a felony that is—(1) a crime of violence (as defined in section 16); or (2) an offense under State law that would constitute a crime of violence under paragraph (1) if it occurred within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States.
Many states also have penalties for possession or use of body armor. In February of 1999, the late Russell Jones a.k.a. "Ol' Dirty Bastard" was arrested in California for possession of body armor by a convicted felon. Other states, such as Kentucky do not prohibit possession, but deny probation or parole for a person convicted of certain violent crimes while wearing body armor and carrying a deadly weapon.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6754|Salt Lake City

Well, either the article left something out, or they have classified his fist as an instument of crime.  This would essentially mean that each and every one of us is in violation of that law.
jord

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Well, either the article left something out, or they have classified his fist as an instument of crime.  This would essentially mean that each and every one of us is in violation of that law.
Or just the Americans here,the ones with hands.
*e6/TheChronic
+21|6499
that is horrible, i cant believe someone would kill their little girl over a fucking video game, thats just ridiculous
dstock9
+13|6623

ghettoperson wrote:

It makes it harder for the police to shoot you?

On Topic: This is awful. I don't think you have to be a parent to understand just how bad this really is.
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6578|Canaduhhh.. West Toast
i totally dont see the point of having a discussion on this... obviously everyone will agree its fuct... what kind of debate and serious talk do you think this will inspire... dont hit babies... done.
jord

SuperSlowYo wrote:

i totally dont see the point of having a discussion on this... obviously everyone will agree its fuct... what kind of debate and serious talk do you think this will inspire... dont hit babies... done.
Maybe it will spark a debate on; I should be able to wear whatever the fuck i wan't.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6763|Houston, TX
LOL at the American's with hands comment.

Body armor used during a felony is illegal.  hmmmmm.... If it's a felony already...

On topic, anger and rage are things that need some element of control.  This guy obviously had none.  I'm sure they will tuck him away someplace nice.  Karma will find him in the "someplace". (hopefully the prison shower)

KJ
Chou
+737|6809
Well the debate that I wanted to create is mostly based on the point where we all had our moment(s) during a videogame where you or I, would smash something out of anger because we were so mixed up in the game that reality seemed to have fainted.

This is 1 example of how games can take a person's control into an act of crime and waking up after, saying: "I would never do such a thing, what have I done?"

Last edited by Choumichel (2006-09-13 09:30:07)

SteikeTa
+153|6766|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega
Someone said that the guy should be shot... no, he dont deserve that. Its an easy way out. Deserve to stay in prison for a looooooooot of years.
golgoj4
+51|6792|North Hollywood
So like, is my brain considered an 'instrument of crime'?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard