GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death
+64|6752|PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Hi im Gaikiwarrior . i just want to know what people think about commanders who spam messages all the time ie : enemy, armour, sniper spotted and so on , and issuing orders to squads . When i play commander i am constantly spotting and telling my team mates and telling them where easy targets are . i have had 5 rounds on sf and been commander on 3 and won all three . when playing in a squad i hardly ever hear the caommander . i think night flight is the best , the area with the cargo container is brilliant for hit and run.

On a different note it may just be me , but with SF i find im actually killing more people in combat than in bf2!!!! maybe its the v1.12 patch or something i dont know, most of my bf2 points have come from team play capping flags and so on

Any comments welcome btw this game rocks faults or not i just wish i could some more hours a day lol

bye gaikiwarrior
Hyper_Dude
+5|6832|United Knigdom
As a commander, I spot when its necessary. If someone wants a UAV, which is already airbourne somewhere else I'll spot the men instead. I'll also say which maps are clear on the scan, and tell squads its clear.

Sadly, not many people listen.
JeSTeR_Player1
Flying Solo
+98|6779|Canada, Ont
Spotting Constantly Is The Commanders Job...people Need to Understand that when a Commander spots and It comes up a Question Mark, That Means Nobodys In That Area.

Ummm... Spotting is better then UAV, Because UAV only Displays them whenever the Line goes over them, where Spotting Imprints them on the Radar.

I Consider myself an Excellent Commander, and If you don't like my Spam, Then Screw you, Its Helping Out if you know what to Look For.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6754|Houston, TX

JeSTeR_Player1 wrote:

I Consider myself an Excellent Commander, and If you don't like my Spam, Then Screw you, Its Helping Out if you know what to Look For.
Don't commander angry....

Goosefraba......
JeSTeR_Player1
Flying Solo
+98|6779|Canada, Ont
Gooooosefraba..... -.-
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6731|Oregon

Hyper_Dude wrote:

Sadly, not many people listen.
im prtetty shure this is because people are too intent on getting kilskilskilskilskils, and don't see the benefit in driving half-way across the map to cap a flag. sad....

i barely ever play commander, but i have only lost once when i did.. i try to inform squads vocally, and sometimes they listen, but it's hard to talk with squads and sqaud leaders who don't say a damn thing.
Hyper_Dude
+5|6832|United Knigdom

JeSTeR_Player1 wrote:

Ummm... Spotting is better then UAV, Because UAV only Displays them whenever the Line goes over them, where Spotting Imprints them on the Radar.
Sadly I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I understand what your saying, but spotting doesn't tell you what direction the unit is facing. With the UAV, you can see the guy turning as he looks around and can time when to charge him or throw a nade etc. without being seen. All Spottings from commanders seem to make that unit look as though they're looking north, so you can't tell what way he's looking and thus, if he's looking in your general direction.

I think the same happens for vehicles as well, which looks strange on the mini-map.

Either way, both are useful, one better than the other in different terms, but has anyone noticed how many people just don't seem to watch their mini-maps? If there's a UAV, I'll use it and judge when they're coming and from where, but most people seem to ignore it. The amount of people I give UAV's when they're capping a flag, just to ignore it and die is stupid.
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6791|The Hague, Holland

Kung Jew wrote:

JeSTeR_Player1 wrote:

Don't commander angry....

Goosefraba......
Hahahah^^ Oh hell yes I remember that!
Goosefraba, my friend...
...Goosefraba
BurlySmurf
+1|6764|Nellis AFB
I think it is a Commander's job to spot anything relevant and point his squads at the flags that need capped.

Now wether anyone listens or not is a diffirent story.
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6740|Peoria, Illinois

JeSTeR_Player1 wrote:

Spotting Constantly Is The Commanders Job...people Need to Understand that when a Commander spots and It comes up a Question Mark, That Means Nobodys In That Area.

Hey screw those noobs who don't like your spamming. I appreciate the spamming. I'd rather see a question mark on the map in my area than to have nothing and get shot in the back. There's nothing better as a grunt on the ground than having a commander who's got my back.
he_who_says_zonk
+17|6729

JeSTeR_Player1 wrote:

Dear... God... No...

The commander isnt a glorified target selector. I only use spotting in very specific situations. I prefer the UAV because it is less distracting. Expect your squads to be able to use the UAV.

When I read "Vocal" I thought of VOIP. That is how a commander should be. Constantly in communication with the squads, tracking their progress, giving them information and coordinating their movements. The commander should be a squad's sixth sense, giving them support when they need it, giving them direction and showing them things beyond their sight. That is not the same as spamming with sightings. All that does is fill up the screen with alerts and half the time when you spot that many it culls the first sightings from the map so only a certain number are visible at once. Rapid spotting is a sign of an ineffective com. You need to be able to depend that the squads are able to spot and kill enemies; they can deal with the tactical side of the game, your job is to be strategic.

Spamming gives too much information, everywhere. Too much information is just as bad as none, it distracts and keeps the soldiers on trying to work out what you're telling them, rather than keeping situational awareness high.

There is nothing more irritating than having 10,000 iterations of a voice yelling "ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED". It is easily possible to keep the people who need to know, in the know, without spotting constantly. If you need to spot constantly you aren't paying attention to the course of the battle. As a commander I have been praised, without having done that, and as a squad leader I have a much better sense that the commander is in control when he is supporting my squad and keeping me informed during key moments, than when he is spamming me. The best commanders I have been squad leader for know better than to spam sightings and trust their squads.
YourFavoriteWookiee
+0|6840|Denmark

JeSTeR_Player1 wrote:

It helps SOOOOOO much when the commander is Spotting all the time !!!
doxy
+74|6799|Nevis
i thought the commander gets a point for pointing enemies, if they are killed during flashing on the radar. someone should verify that, i'll try, if i make it to be commander tonite.
YourFavoriteWookiee
+0|6840|Denmark

doxy wrote:

i thought the commander gets a point for pointing enemies, if they are killed during flashing on the radar. someone should verify that, i'll try, if i make it to be commander tonite.
Commander gets points by taking all the points of each teammember - devided by the amount of teammembers
Times 2 if the team wins !!
Jester.retseJ
+4|6740|Toronto, On

JeSTeR_Player1 wrote:

Hallelujah!! I bow to your glorious post oh fellow name type bf2 player guy.

It's your damn JOB as commander to SPOT enemies. That's what the damn satellite map is for! I can't stand commanders that don't tell me there's 2 tanks, 3 apcs, and a chopper coming up my six.

It's very simple, my squad and I of fellow infantry type, easily killable peons would very much like to know when there's a large, killing machine, type armor thing coming up behind us or at a flag you're sending us to. It's just common courtesy to warn us of our impending doom and perhaps allow us the time to mount some sort of defense and or attack with some chance of victory.
BB|EyeSeePeeDude
+0|6769
personally, I typically stick with the UAV

H O W E V E R

I will point out when I see a group going around the edge to cap a flag towards the back or a sniper up on a rooftop taking out my guys.  If there are 3 guys in a group flanking the edge, I only point out one of them...  Sure, it might suck if you come up expecting one guy and see three, but I think the "general idea" that there is someone over there is better than not knowing that they are there in the first place.

I am very active at giving orders, so typically in the second round of playing with a group, they know what to expect, and they know that if I ask them to lag back and defend a flag, that most likely there is someone coming, and to expect a UAV and supply crate in the near future for support...

</soapbox> 
[1stSSF]=Nuka=
Banned
+23|6759|PDX Metro Area, OR, US, SOL
I definitely point out armor and snipers if the UAV is otherwise unavailable. Regular masses of troops get a pointer only if they are going to overwhelm a squad.

I've also begun using the voice comms as necessary...
RonSeal
+1|6729

he_who_says_zonk wrote:

Dear... God... No...

Spamming gives too much information, everywhere. Too much information is just as bad as none, it distracts and keeps the soldiers on trying to work out what you're telling them, rather than keeping situational awareness high.
This man speaks the truth, that is exactly how a commander should operate.

Spamming is pointless, if i see one enemy pinpointed by spotting i always presume the commander has shown me the most serious threat and i always presume there are others nearby.

Keep the airways clear, let your squads respond.

A confident commander is a good commander, spamming sounds and looks more like panic, than control.

Slowly slowly, catchy monkey.
BB|EyeSeePeeDude
+0|6769

RonSeal wrote:

A confident commander is a good commander, spamming sounds and looks more like panic, than control.
I'll agree with that one - if you're always on the defensive, then you just bought yourself a loss... 

Last edited by BB|EyeSeePeeDude (2005-12-05 14:15:17)

Tk3997
+0|6731
Constant spotting also causes the “Cry wolf syndrome.” When you spot too much people tend to stop paying much attention then when you spot something IMPORTANT it’s hard to get them to listen "moderation in all things" as the saying goes.

Last edited by Tk3997 (2005-12-05 21:25:02)

Galen1066
+1|6769|Colo. Springs
Spotting it the CO's job, as well as repairing/suppling etc. that's how he gets the majority of his points. If the Squads don't listen then "oh Well".  The other thing is when I've played commander, I get a request from someone in the field (not in a squad) for help/repairs/supplies what ever and can't spend half the game looking for that one single person I ignore them and within a few minutes I see a kick vote attempt, if you need some something and aren't on T/S or VOIP then your sucking wind. course this is just my opinion. The other thing I can't stand is if your going to command then command, don't spend the game flying a Helo, jet or driving a tank, your not commanding at that point.

Last edited by Galen1066 (2005-12-05 21:44:20)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6783|Noizyland

This has been discussed before, but nonetheless:
I hate commanders who give a constant barrage of 
"Enemyspottedenemyspottedenemyspottedenemyspottedenemyspottedenemyspottedenemyspotted."

It's not useful. Sometimes they point out obvious enemies. No shit there are going to be enemies at the main enemy base.
However, I do appreciate when commanders point out snipers, wherever they are. Also, when enemies use sly backdoor tactics. Also when people are moving in on friendly points, and when I'm moving in on enemy points and there is no UAV.

A commander telling his troops that there is an enemy on fot on the other side of the map is pointless.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
slothpussie
+1|6733
I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of the spam when I'm not commanding.  It makes it hard to hear anything else with that chatter, like footsteps of somebody sneaking up or past a hidding spot.

I command almost exclusively now, but I've got too much ADD to just sit in one spot.  I'll run, and try and CAP a base, blow stuff as a commander.

Lately, I'm getting it down to having "commander UAV".... I used to be very lazy, and reserve the UAV to wherever I was.

Now (especially since many SF are small enough to get a lot of flags in the UAV), I will hunker on a flag to cap, and pull up my satellite map, and give somebody else the UAV that's capping.  I'll then zoom on my own loc, and spot moving black flecks that might be coming up on my own loc.

I will also spot when it matters.  If I see an enemy, but there is nobody near it... what's the point.

I wish the engine would let me drop a "this flag is unguarded right now" message, and pickup squads don't obey the commands to cap a flag.  I have found that most folks completely ignore the chat... I know that I have a hard time myself processing it.

I'd also love a "hey morons... there's a tank and APC unused in our base... again."
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6754|Houston, TX

slothpussie wrote:

I'd also love a "hey morons... there's a tank and APC unused in our base... again."
I think I'll start a post for comma rose we would like to see in the commander's screen.

"Move to this unprotected base"
"occupy this vehicle"
"cover this area"
"Hey dumbass, that red mark on your overhead map represents an arty strike. MOVE!"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard