Maj.Do
+85|6752|good old CA
is the Zonealarm free firewall any good?  or should i just stick with the windows firewall and router firewall i have
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6645
not sure use AVAST or AVG those are the best free anti virus software, also use spybot search and destroy and ad-aware free versin which is ok.
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6486|Melbourne

I used it its Okay considering its free, networking can be a bit of a pain though, but once its up nothing is going into your pc.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
TinMaN
+5|6448|Kansas City, KS, USA
i just stick with a properly configured router, don't even use windows firewall.  frees up memory that way
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6486|Melbourne

TinMaN wrote:

i just stick with a properly configured router, don't even use windows firewall.  frees up memory that way
Lol, how many Virus attacks have you had?
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
TinMaN
+5|6448|Kansas City, KS, USA

R3v4n wrote:

TinMaN wrote:

hehe, none, thanks. 

oh, forgot to mention i have different OS's installed on my system, so if i want to mess around on a hostile site, i reboot into my 'secure' mode....

Last edited by TinMaN (2006-09-12 00:25:45)

=[S3nf]=
Upside Down Space Cockroach
+150|6789|out of orbit
if you want to be safe:

don't use windows.

if thats not possible:

don't use Internet explorer.
use opera or firefox.

don't browse pr0n sites.

don't open email attachments.

don't download warez .exe data.

stick to that and you don't need a firewall if you use a router.

a good shareware firewall is Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall

combine it with Avira and you`ll be fine.

and no,zonealarm isn`t any good.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

=[S3nf]= wrote:

don't browse pr0n sites.
sorry not possible
don't open email attachments.
man, they can be tempting though
don't download warez .exe data.
again, sorry not possible at all
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6805|Portland, OR, USA

R3v4n wrote:

TinMaN wrote:

Router = firewall, so...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
pedigreeuk
I'm English, not British!
+113|6771|Rotherham, England

TinMaN wrote:

Snap!! (i've not had a virus either)
fierce
I love [fiSh]
+167|6568
A well configured router is superior to any software firewall.

If you don't want or can afford a router i can suggest you Sygate's Personal Firewall, i wouldn't use Zone Alarm.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

Zone Alarm is a great program for being free.  Don't let these others tell you otherwise.  It's been reviewed and recommended by many PC publications.
Maj.Do
+85|6752|good old CA
alright thanks for the help guys.  Also im using one of those old Microsoft Routers (MN-500)  Any ideas on setting up the firewall perfectly?  i just have it on and some ports forwarded
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6597|Seattle

Zone Alarm is the most annoying firewall on earf

Use your hardware firewall (router) and ewido, ad-aware, and spy-bot, along with some antivirus (like e-trust antivirus) and you're free to surf teh intrawebs without a hassle. The key is to protect yourself BEFORE getting infected, then it's usually as simple as reboot into safe mode and run your AV/Spyware programs to get rid of any infections.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Cold Fussion
72% alcohol
+63|6667|Sydney, Australia

blademaster wrote:

not sure use AVAST or AVG those are the best free anti virus software, also use spybot search and destroy and ad-aware free versin which is ok.
NOD32 runs circles around avg.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6719|Las Vegas
If you use Spybot Search & Destroy, be sure to use the Immunize feature, it's not very intuitive at first but extremely simple to use all the same.  My current version has immunized my PC against 12,529 known products.  By immunizing, SS&D pre-emptively blocks problems so that if you encounter them, they are unable to gain a foothold to work from.

Spybot S&D and Ad Aware in combination are a formidable combination against spyware and it's variants as each has strengths where the other is lacking......

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard