=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6819|Belgium

Honestly, I believe that some people were born old. They really got out of the womb at age 50. If the current generation of elders believe there is something wrong with youth, well they can only blame themselves because they raised them.
The degree of assertiveness of the average teenager nowadays is intriguing, and can be troublesome in rare cases... But this is the result of some very unhinged father:

http://news.com.com/Whats+the+buzz+Teen … g=nefd.top

Cheers,
R

Last edited by =Robin-Hood= (2005-11-30 02:32:57)

tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6846|San Francisco

Heh, funny article. I have heard such things in BART stations (the bay area transit system) though I'm sure they were to shoo away birds from nesting there at night. Funny thing is I simply put on my headphones and had no further problem with the high-pitched noise.

edit: Sometimes I wish we could install a similar thing for these forums... though not based solely on age...
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6743|Houston, TX
Now we just need to develop one for TK'ers on ranked servers.
purple_cow
+1|6721
ho wow
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6740|FUCK UBISOFT

wow again

i feel sorry for those kids
glad no mosquitos around here
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6751
So a store owner wants to scare off teenagers?

Here in America we have anti-loitering laws, and the fact that we can tell people to vacate our property, and typically if they don't you can call the cops. Even if they are being an annoyance or causing problems to customers, even on a sidewalk, the police will show up, tell the kids to leave or else, and if they don't well into the paddy wagon they go, and to cry in a jail cell while the police contact their parents.

Edit: Wait a second, in the article they talk about kids "storming" a store and stealing. You know what we do to shoplifters here? Stores are allowed to detain them, train your workers in basic loss prevention, or HIRE someone to do that. Is it that seriously a problem that a store owner after getting a bunch of kids storming his store, doesn't... Oh I don't know LOCK THEM in the store or physically restrain them? What the heck doesn't anyone have balls over there or is it some sort of nanny protectionist state where you let kids get away with anything?

Last edited by freebirdpat (2005-11-30 18:08:08)

=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6819|Belgium

Interesting comment but *cough* it's an article from the New York Times *cough* last time I checked I really thought NY to be on the US soil... edit: *cough* me stupid it's about a guy from Wales, mmh that is not the US... :slap myself:

My problem with this invention is that it places all teens (actually everybody with decent hearing, thus also the -10) in the group of potential shoplifters or violators of public peace.

“So, some teenagers were raised by television and home videos, and were spoiled to rot. Those kids are now the juveniles hanging around and are disarranging the grandmother’s sanity. Oh no! This cannot be tolerated, let’s do something against teenagers, because the youth of these days are all bad-ass juveniles that don’t give a F***.”

These absurd generalisations are pissing me off. (Just like, oh most terrorist nowadays are Muslim, thus all Muslims are terrorist… How stupid can you be?) Come on, not every teenager is Satan in disguise! Every elder whom has a problem with the difference in generation should think about the mischief he did when he was younger. Parents should be strict, not stupid… And definitely not experiment with his dim-witted inventions on his own children!

Nah, I’ve spoken… And for those who are wondering, no I do not have kids yet. But hell, when the time is there, I am definitely going to be part of their schooling.
“Ok son, it’s time for some more MMOFPS… No please daddy, I want to make my homework” :Grin:

Cheers,
R

Last edited by =Robin-Hood= (2005-12-01 06:05:05)

FeloniousMonk
+0|6733
Read the article and you'll see that from the very beginning it specifies "Wales".

Also, I don't know where freebirdpat is from but in any state I've lived in detaining a child is likely going to wind up in a lawsuit unless there's solid proof that he stole something.
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6819|Belgium

FeloniousMonk wrote:

Read the article and you'll see that from the very beginning it specifies "Wales".

Also, I don't know where freebirdpat is from but in any state I've lived in detaining a child is likely going to wind up in a lawsuit unless there's solid proof that he stole something.
Interesting comment... I *cough* made a stupid mistake to no re-read it *cough* sorry.
: blushing: I’ll remove my stupidity, thanks for the correction.

Cheers,
R
thinner44
+1|6808
Classical music follwed swiftly by the 'D' zone. The 'D' zone being, dispersal zone, where if you're a group of teens, you will be dispersed. If you then reappear within a specified time, you will be taken home by the police, if you then reappear... you will be arrested.

I used to be a teenager (many moons ago) and yep, I too loitered with 'no intent', no gang colours, no tats, nothing to distinquish one group from another. We didn't rob or steal, but a group of teens were considered as bad then as they are now. And I have to admit, being in my 40s now, they can look a little intimidating... although we prefer to call them hobbits on account of their hoods

We have ASBOs now, antisocial behaviour orders, and they do work. Where I live, petty crime used to be the norm and was indeed accepted as a part of normal day to day life, (or night time to be precise). So the weak and the vulnerable felt more weak and vulnerable. 'Time to take a stand' thought the authorities, they did and now the weak and vulnerable feel 'empowered' and now enjoy doing their day to day activities.

It's not all teens, lets not tar them all with the same brush, but as true as this saying is, 'it's always the minority' ... the majority feel spoilt by them.
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6754|NH - USA

=Robin-Hood= wrote:

If the current generation of elders believe there is something wrong with youth, well they can only blame themselves because they raised them.
Not totally true.

One side of the coin: I think the technology of the time creates unique influences, scenarios, and choices that mold the future generation. Consider growing up in earlier times in contrast to today's convieniences and technologies. Big difference in lifestyle.

The other side of the coin: As time goes on the basic foundations of parenting are diluted and thus the lack of discipline and bonding result in a child with no direction, discipline, morals, etc.

Its all screwed up. I wouldnt want a kid these days.

Last edited by VirtuaLResistancE (2005-12-05 02:23:08)

=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6819|Belgium

VirtuaLResistancE wrote:

Not totally true.

One side of the coin: I think the technology of the time creates unique influences, scenarios, and choices that mold the future generation. Consider growing up in earlier times in contrast to today's convieniences and technologies. Big difference in lifestyle.

The other side of the coin: As time goes on the basic foundations of parenting are diluted and thus the lack of discipline and bonding result in a child with no direction, discipline, morals, etc.

Its all screwed up. I wouldnt want a kid these days.
True, there is a whole lot more that reaches a kid nowadays than it did (let us say) 20 years back.  But that is also because elders are less frequent with their children. Mostly both parents work now, and they spend less time with their children.
With the current media, children need to be prepared better for what is out there, thus requiring more time. So indeed the world has become more difficult fot both children and parents. But that is a problem a family should solve together, and by no means just by putting them all in one box; the evil teen category!

@thinner; I find it troublesome that there already exist a procedure to deal with teens. Here, (Belgium) it hasn't reached that level yet. Although burning Paris is not that far, but that was a whole other story...

Cheers,
R
thinner44
+1|6808

=Robin-Hood= wrote:

@thinner; I find it troublesome that there already exist a procedure to deal with teens. Here, (Belgium) it hasn't reached that level yet. Although burning Paris is not that far, but that was a whole other story...

Cheers,
R
The UK Government has brought out legislation to bring back 'respect'. A whole raft of ideas to try and solve the issue of yob culture. I just think that today's disaffected youth has no one to blame but themselves. They have grown apart from what is an understandable level of behaviour.

I used to teach 'independence' skills, akin to that was the lesson of what is and isn't acceptable behaviour. 'Manners maketh man'.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard