TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6822|Netherlands
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.
~ Albert Einstein
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6845|"Frisco"

I remember seeing a picture somewhere labeled "Ultimate Soldier" in which an incredibly buff man stood in uniform with gun at the ready, but he had no head.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6838|Cologne, Germany

well, humans do horrible things, I guess that's a lesson learned from history. and as long as the world is as it is, nations will continue to muster armed forces to protect their people and their national interests.

how intelligent does the govt. want their soldiers to be ? No idea, but I have always believed that the only thing more effective than a well trained, well experienced and well equipped soldier is a well trained, well experienced, well equipped, intelligent soldier...

in more general terms, you should never put weapons of war in the hands of the downright stupid. people are gonna get hurt...

Last edited by B.Schuss (2005-09-24 10:50:40)

77th|1st Lt. Werstein
+1|6808|Virginia, USA
well in the next few years we will have everything high tech, but there will be the soldier...the government will never keep the fighting man off the front lines...HOO-AH!

but we will have computers in our pockets and screens in front of our eyes, and bullets that are lazer guided and much much more gadgets
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6841|Bryan/College Station, TX
Having met a great deal of soldiers both enlisted and officers due to my father's pervious Air Force career and also due to my envolvement in the Corps of Cadets I have to several conclusions of the intelligence of our military.

The Enlisted ranks are made up of many many different types of people from all walks of life. Their intelligence varies wildly to the point of absolute confusion. However a great majority of the enlisted ranks I must say are rather low in the IQ department. The rest are those who join the military to go to college through the GI Bill or who join due to pure patriotic feelings. For many the military is really the only organization who would take them.

Would I join the military? I did have those aspirations at one point in my life and attempted to seek a contract with the Navy so that after college I would go through Basic and then OCS (Officers Candidate School) and then become an Ensign in the US Navy. However I changed my mind halfway through my college career.

Though I must say that no matter how low their IQ may be the military does seem to inspire at least some level of competance in their soldiers. At least in a very specific field. They are trained to do certain things and so multi-tasking isn't an option for many. Though B. does bring up a point in that who would the military want on the front lines? The intelligent who will second think every order? Or the complacent and easily impressioned? The military wants the officers to make the decisions and the grunts to carry them out. They do not want questioning in the ranks because that will lead to disorder.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6817
Unless you are IN the military, and have been on the front lines to base any REAL facts on the above statements, I would greatly appericiate you think twice before making comments like that next time.

If you're not in the military, how could you possibly know what soldiers operate like? Oh, I forgot, the media shows all.

kilroy0097 wrote:

For many the military is really the only organization who would take them.
That doesn't make the military a bad entity. They strip you down of everything and re-build you from the ground up. Not every job in the military is on the front lines. You need the same IQ as everyone else on the front lines or in any other job. It just so happens really smart people who succeed and prevail are usualy encouraged to be in another area of expertise other than infantry. They dont want dumb people, they just dont want you to think twice when given an order, because in that moment it could cost you your life. No one forces people to join up anymore, thus, people have less sympathy for the dead, instead, they have more respect.

Last edited by Ryan_Mercury (2005-10-12 16:03:21)

beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6783

Ryan_Mercury wrote:

Unless you are IN the military, and have been on the front lines to base any REAL facts on the above statements, I would greatly appericiate you think twice before making comments like that next time.

If you're not in the military, how could you possibly know what soldiers operate like? Oh, I forgot, the media shows all.
yeaaaah id kinda have to kinda agree with this guy.  you don't know what you're talking about 'till you've walked the walk and talked the talk.
KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit
+0|6737|Fort Worth, Texas
Kilroy what the hell are you talking about. The officers take orders from the enlisted top Sgt's who have been their done that. In Vetnam the Colleage Officer died and sometimes it was from friendly fire due to the orders they gave you know the book answer so many guys that had seen combat killed them for everyone's safety. I think you are hung up on book smart and not hands on. You will not get a job up against someone who has hands on if you don't.
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6822|Netherlands
cannonfodderisation....
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6841|Bryan/College Station, TX

KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit wrote:

Kilroy what the hell are you talking about. The officers take orders from the enlisted top Sgt's who have been their done that. In Vetnam the Colleage Officer died and sometimes it was from friendly fire due to the orders they gave you know the book answer so many guys that had seen combat killed them for everyone's safety. I think you are hung up on book smart and not hands on. You will not get a job up against someone who has hands on if you don't.
I never said anything about Officers not being able to lead nor able to fight. I just said that most Enlisted (And I'm point towards the E3 and lower ranks) are mostly pretty fucken dumb individuals. Fresh out of basic they don't know common sense for the most part. Gunho and Dumbass most of them. Of those I've met, which is quite a few by now, I have to say those that went in to get a college degree are the best and they tell me the same thing each time. Enlisted soldiers are dumb.  Life experience finally catches up to those that make it into the E4 range.

No offense if you are an enlisted soldier but most of this is told to me by other Enlisted soldiers. So it's coming from the horse's mouth.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard