• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Post your recommended specs for BF2 high settings here!
Baglicka
+8|6464|Manitoba,Canada

bakarocket wrote:

I have a P4 3.0, a 6800GS, set at 1280x1024, everything maxed, and I get 45ish fps.

Anything over 30 fps, the human eye cannot detect. Do not listen to people telling you to get SLI, 4 Gigs of RAM, and super high end cards.

You just need

1) an average processor ($200US)
2) a little above average video card ($200US)
3) 2 Gigs of RAM to max out everything. (various prices depending on manufacturer...about $150US)
Thanks I will bump up my resolution and see what I get. Thanks for the information, not really in the mood to upgade(at home with a broken leg for 2 months,bank accounts getting low) Thanks dude.
jamesjosephkilroy
+3|6694|Kentucky U.S.A.
My rig is a X1900XT 512MB, P4 3.8, 1GB ram. I run everything high, 2xaa, and average 50FPS at 1600x1200. An X1800 512MB , P4 3.0, 1GB would be a minimum.
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6779|Hell, p.o box 666

Baglicka wrote:

I have an AMD 3200+        O/C to 2.6
BFG 7800 GS                     O/C to 430/1300
RAM                                 1.5 Gigs
I run BF2 with everything on high at 1024x768, AF 4X, AA 8X. With fraps i'm getting A steady 55-65 fps. Everything runs smooth and nice. What is the lowest fps someone can play with before getting pissed off and throwing the computer out the window. I would like to turn the resolution up but would sacrifice FPS. Don't know if it is worth it. Any answers.
FPS under 30 is ugly! But I think with your GPU a resolution of 1200x1024 is no problem at all. I run the 7800GS and a AMD64 3200+ also with this reso, but 2048 MB RAM, I get around 50 FPS average.
Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6554|Sydney, in 1978
steal a super computer off the government and wire it to play games then youll be able to play any game you want for decades to come!
Slayer
---hates you

bakarocket wrote:

I have a P4 3.0, a 6800GS, set at 1280x1024, everything maxed, and I get 45ish fps.

Anything over 30 fps, the human eye cannot detect. Do not listen to people telling you to get SLI, 4 Gigs of RAM, and super high end cards.

You just need

3) 2 Gigs of RAM to max out everything. (various prices depending on manufacturer...about $150US)
Partly true man, but anything under 30fps is not playable. Your system is average and your low fps is caused by your weak GPU. Personally I dont think you can compare your maxed settings with a highend rig. Compare 45fps to 100fps while gaming, it´s a main diffrence. Your right about this highend stuff, you dont need it to play BF2 at all, but a SLI rig compared to a average rig, from my point of view worlds!
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6678
Ok, so it looks like this is the place to do this.  I'm trying to upgrade some hardware (video card and hard drive are what I'm thinking) but don't really know what to look for or if that's even what I need.  I'm currently running medium settings with view distance at 100% and display is 800X600 with aa completely off.

What I'm running: (This is a Dell Dimension 4600...if that matters)

P4 2.8Ghz
40Gig WD HardDrive
ATI Radion 9800Pro 128mb
1.5 G Dual Channel Ram

Anyway, I definately want a bigger hd, but I think around 80 gigs would be plenty but honestly don't know what to look for.  Probably looking to spend $150 or less.

Also thinking the video card could be upgraded...again hoping to stay in the $150 range, but that can fluctuate some.

Everything runs well enough the way it is, but I want it better.  Just don't really know where to start.  I also want to get more RAM but will do that down the road a bit.  Anyway, what should I look for and what should I do first??  Thanks a lot.
DRAC2GUNZ
+1|6465

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

Hi Drac2gunz, welcome to the forums.

Your new systems will run BF2 is high settings, I will say, rise everthing to the max, expect of AA and AF. It´s always trial and error, maybe lower shadows and lights to medium, but all in all, I think a high setting will fit with average FPS of 50-70.
TY, think I should overclock the CPU for better performance ? or would it not be neccesary.
Slayer
---hates you

MastersMom wrote:

Ok, so it looks like this is the place to do this.  I'm trying to upgrade some hardware (video card and hard drive are what I'm thinking) but don't really know what to look for or if that's even what I need.  I'm currently running medium settings with view distance at 100% and display is 800X600 with aa completely off.

What I'm running: (This is a Dell Dimension 4600...if that matters)

P4 2.8Ghz
40Gig WD HardDrive
ATI Radion 9800Pro 128mb
1.5 G Dual Channel Ram

Anyway, I definately want a bigger hd, but I think around 80 gigs would be plenty but honestly don't know what to look for.  Probably looking to spend $150 or less.

Also thinking the video card could be upgraded...again hoping to stay in the $150 range, but that can fluctuate some.

Everything runs well enough the way it is, but I want it better.  Just don't really know where to start.  I also want to get more RAM but will do that down the road a bit.  Anyway, what should I look for and what should I do first??  Thanks a lot.
Well for your gaming expirience, go for a new GPU first. I may suggest a Nvidia 7600GT 256 MB AGP8x. Further I will say, upgrade your RAM to 2048 MB, because on 1.5GB dual channle wont work (I guess you run three sticks with 512 MB). The money range is a problem, you cant get a uptodate GPU for less than 150 US$. A average card like the 7600GT is around 200€ already.
Slayer
---hates you

DRAC2GUNZ wrote:

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

Hi Drac2gunz, welcome to the forums.

Your new systems will run BF2 is high settings, I will say, rise everthing to the max, expect of AA and AF. It´s always trial and error, maybe lower shadows and lights to medium, but all in all, I think a high setting will fit with average FPS of 50-70.
TY, think I should overclock the CPU for better performance ? or would it not be neccesary.
Hm, X2 3800+ isnt the fastest CPU around, but I dont think you have to overclock it. Without knowledge the CPU clock could be increased aroudn 100MHz, this will not the increase the FPS dramaticly. I dont see a need for overclocking tbh.
MERCFLF8
+9|6567|uk
i run at 2048x1536 all setting's are maxed out with this set-up

AMD OPERTON [email protected]
ASUS A8N32-SLI
XP90c /w 92MM TORNADO
900w TAGAN TURBOJET
eVGA 7900GTx2 SLI
4 WD 250g SATA II RAID 0
2 GIG'S OCZ GOLD XTC
LITEON DVD burner
LITEON DVD
SB X-Fi
Logitech 5300e 5.1
Slayer
---hates you

nice rig man, erm how much fps, any idea?
Slayer
---hates you

yeah, realistic result. CPU too weak, GPU too weak, RAM too weak. But hey, medium settings rock too and 45fps arent that bad!
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6678

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

Well for your gaming expirience, go for a new GPU first. I may suggest a Nvidia 7600GT 256 MB AGP8x. Further I will say, upgrade your RAM to 2048 MB, because on 1.5GB dual channle wont work (I guess you run three sticks with 512 MB). The money range is a problem, you cant get a uptodate GPU for less than 150 US$. A average card like the 7600GT is around 200€ already.
So you're saying go for Nvidia over ATI?  Any reason..I only ask because I saw an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB PCIe for $175 on tigerdirect.com.  I'm certainly not questioning your expertise on the subject, just trying to understand the difference better.  I would assume it has something to do with the AGP8x on your suggestion and the PCIe on the one I found, but would that make a big difference considering the 256mb on the Nvidia compared to the 512mb on the ATI?  Or am I totally missing something here?

Do you have suggestions on what to look for on a hard drive?  Mine only has about 12Gigs left available so I definatley want something larger, but what else should I look for or does it really matter that much?

Also, the 1.5G of RAM I have is actually dual channel.  My motherboard has four slots for RAM, and the computer came with two sticks of 256.  I added two sticks of 512 and split them accordingly so they would continue to run dual channel (768 per channel).  Next ram upgrade will be two 1G sticks to replace the two 256 sticks and bump me up to 3G total still running dual channel.

BTW, thanks a ton for your help.

Last edited by MastersMom (2006-09-12 07:39:37)

Slayer
---hates you

Well, see you got a AGP mobo and it´s a fact there arent many uptodate AGP GPUs atm. Best aviable atm is the Nvidia 7800GS 256MB (300€), followed by the 7600GT 256MB (200-250€). Those cards will give you a good boost compared to your Radeon 9800 pro 128 MB. ATI APG cards cant mess with those NVidia cards at all. The best ATI AGP is the X850XT (blah blah blah) but tbh it´s outdated (only Shader 2.0 features etc.)

Dont bother the 512MB GPU RAM. There are plenty of lowend cards like 7300GS those have 512MB too, but suck donkey balls. 256MB is enough for above average settings and also will fit for upcoming games.

search the net for some benchmarks where 256MB and 512MB cards with the same chip and architecture are compared, there is no advantage at all.

The X1600 Pro 512MB PCIe card you´ve mentioned, is not a good choice. Shure you´ll get some better results as with your 9800pro, but compared to a PCIe 7600GT it sucks. Further, you cant compare AGP to PCIe cards.

ATI and Nvidia are on the same level with the highend cards like X1900(blah blah), 7900GTX etc, but the, I´ll call´em, budget cards of this brand loose against Nvidia´s series.

Im not a fan of ATI at all, I have my reasons but dont want to bother you with details Nvidia FTW

To make this short go for AGP 7600GT 256MB for a budget card or go for AGP 7800GS 256MB for the best AGP card atm.

Hm, about you RAM, I dont think your combination of 2x 256MB and 2x 512MB run in dualchannel with good speed. Shure, you´ve placed them right, but the latence of the 256MBs are diffrent to the 512MBs, also the clockings. Your Mobo will detect dualchannel, but decrease speed of faster RAM to the level of the slower.
No good idea. Replace the 2x256MB with 2x512MB! No need for 2x 1024MB, because also here dual channel will not work propperly!!!

Suggestion for a HD, eh, well, Im not to deep into this, but I have good exp. with Seagate S-ATAII Hd´s
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6678
Hey fon|sl4y3r, Thanks a ton for the info...great explanation and much appreciated.  As for the RAM, you're probably right.  I'll have to figure out what I want to do next.  Maybe I'll just wait a little longer and make the big jump right to 4Gigs (max my motherboard can handle).  Anyway, thanks a pant load for all your help.
bakarocket
+12|6572

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

bakarocket wrote:

You just need

Partly true man, but anything under 30fps is not playable. Your system is average and your low fps is caused by your weak GPU. Personally I dont think you can compare your maxed settings with a highend rig. Compare 45fps to 100fps while gaming, it´s a main diffrence. Your right about this highend stuff, you dont need it to play BF2 at all, but a SLI rig compared to a average rig, from my point of view worlds!
Yep, anything under 30 fps is a mess, but that's because we can see the difference. Anything over 30 fps we can't. Now, compared to people on this board, my system is certainly average, but not compared to the average gamer. The average gamer doesn't need to spend 1K$ on SLI and a capable MB upgrade to get what they want, because they just want pretty pictures and fun sounds. Like me. The average system is a 5700 or 6600 with a P4 and a gig of ram.

Lastly, despite what NVidia and others tell us, max settings are max. That's it. There is no difference between me maxed and you maxed except that you can get a much higher resolution and a slightly better reaction ability in game, depending on your monitor. My fps never goes below 35, and therefore is indetectable to my (and your) eyes. That's all that matters to me, spending more than I have would be (to me obviously, but to lots of others as well) a waste. That's why I wanted to give the poster another (non-hard-core gamer/non-15 year old with rich parents) option.

I'm not saying it's wrong to spend so much, nor is it silly. But to most of us, we couldn't give a rat's arse how fast the refresh rate goes when we can't see it anyway.
Slayer
---hates you

Im 29 atm and not rich at all

I agree with you, just look to my first post in this thread, there is a average system (mho)... Everything lower, just isnt uptodate. Shure I could have mentioned Geforce FX 5*** series or Radeon 9****, but thb, those spec. are outdated. Futher this topic is for some advice in building a new gamerrig and to prevent questions like "can I play BF2 in 2048x1600 with my Radeon 9550???"
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6718|Vancouver BC Canada
I thought ultra high graphics were removed patches ago.....

TweakGuides.com wrote:

Video.con

VideoSettings.setResolution 1280x960@75Hz

This setting controls your current resolution in Battlefield 2. The format is Width x Height@Refresh Rate. If you cannot start up BF2 and change the resolution from within the game, try altering it here to help you startup the game. In particular when you want to launch BF2 for the first time and the game just crashes back to desktop (See Troubleshooting Tips section), you can change the resolution from its default of 800x600@60Hz to one your monitor supports. Note however that certain resolutions are unsupported and entering them here will not work - see the Command Line section further below.

VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 4

VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 4

VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 4

VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 4

VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 4

VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 4

VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 4

VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 4

All of the above settings can be adjusted from within the in-game Video settings. However the highest they can be set to is High from within the game (a value of 3). By setting them each to 4 in Video.con (as shown above), you will have them displayed as 'Videosettings_Ultrahigh' in the in-game Video settings screen, and some people believe this increases the graphics quality to Ultrahigh levels. I didn't see any impact from this change, but if you want the absolute best quality in BF2 give it a try.

Update: As of the 1.3 Patch, you can no longer set Ultra High quality, the highest value which works for these settings is 3, which is also the maximum possible when using the in-game settings.
I can run all high, 1280 x 1024 with max AA @ 80-100FPS with....

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD FX-53 OCed to 2.6Ghz (Stock Heatsink)
2x 1Gb Corsair 400Mhz Ram
2x EVGA 7800GT COs (Extinct)

SLI has some issues with alt+tab, sometimes it takes a few tried to show the desktop.

Playing on my laptop has tought me to turn down graphics in exchange for FPS. I would much rather have 45 FPS and medium graphics then 20 and have them maxed.

Last edited by the_outsider38 (2006-09-14 00:40:54)

Invaderzim
Chicken wing?
+49|6471|Newcastle NSW Australia
My system:

GPU-7800GT
CPU-AMD +3500
RAM- 2Gb

This is enough to run everything on high with 4x AA (highest you can get on nVidia i think), at 1280 x 1024 amd 60Mhz

Baisic rules for BF2= anything over 1.5 gig with a GPU 6800GT/ x800xt or better and you can start cranking stuff up to high. Cpu speed doesnt realy matter.
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child

Invaderzim wrote:

My system:

GPU-7800GT
CPU-AMD +3500
RAM- 2Gb

This is enough to run everything on high with 4x AA (highest you can get on nVidia i think), at 1280 x 1024 amd 60Mhz

Baisic rules for BF2= anything over 1.5 gig with a GPU 6800GT/ x800xt or better and you can start cranking stuff up to high. Cpu speed doesnt realy matter.
Actually my SLI system can crank out 16x AA. Not really worth going past 4 though.
Slayer
---hates you

yeah, my dual 7900GTX SLI rig is running in AA16x too. Driversetting though.
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
Yes, you do have to force it, but really I cant tell the difference between 4x and 16x AA. I just leave mine at 4.
Capt. Foley
+155|6611|Allentown, PA, USA

bakarocket wrote:

You just need

Im pretty sure Vista is supposed to take 1.5 gigs of RAM so it might be a good idea to have 4. And anyways, whats wrong with fast load times?
Capt. Foley
+155|6611|Allentown, PA, USA
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
nVidia GeForce 7900GT or GTX
xFi Xtreme Music
2 GB DDR2 PC6400 RAM
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child

Capt. Foley wrote:

bakarocket wrote:

You just need

Im pretty sure Vista is supposed to take 1.5 gigs of RAM so it might be a good idea to have 4. And anyways, whats wrong with fast load times?
When you buy a PC you look to the future of software (or at least I do).  Vistas going to be a Hog. Lotsa visual effects, transparent windows, etc. A waste of system resources if you ask me. But maybe I'm just a purist, I would run BF2 from DOS if i could.

Fast load time kick ass.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Post your recommended specs for BF2 high settings here!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard