GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6779

Ok I am just a nerd and have been thinking of something but I can't figure out the answer. It has to do with accelerations. So picture this:

You are strapped (voluntarily haha) to a rocket moving east doing a constant 4 G's. What would happen if you rotate your seat to face backwards instead of forwards in say 1 second? Would this be the equivalent of going from 8 to 0 g's in 1 second? I can't exactly picture what would happen. Part of me thinks it would mean nothing because your body everything is still accelerating in the east direction. But then again, your internal organs would be pressing in a different direction this time.

Please let me know what you think, I'm kinda curious to see if this could potentially be hazardous to the body.
Darky
Hi..
+71|6578|Here.
I'm pretty sure a similar event in fighter jets causes the pilot to 'black out'.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm totally off the mark.
WarmPudgy
+41|6604|Arkansas
i think actually in order to constantly do 4 G's, you would need to constantly be accelerating
if not, then your body and the craft would quickly begin to go the same velocity and you wouldnt feel G's anymore

but as to what youre refering to, no it wouldnt be like doing 8 to 0, it would just be 4
and i think it takes more than 4g's to make a well trained pilot to black out
i think its around 6-10

Last edited by WarmPudgy (2006-09-01 21:38:33)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6763|The United Center

WarmPudgy wrote:

i think actually in order to constantly do 4 G's, you would need to constantly be accelerating
if not, then your body and the craft would quickly begin to go the same velocity and you wouldnt feel G's anymore
True.

Also, I believe you would just continue to feel the four G's.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6732
I think it would be hard to change directions that quickly... a machine could do it but the human body would black out... maybe with a pressure suit... lol...what do i know? im a bartender... but i stayed at a holiday inn express last night...

CB

www.bfpirates.com
Love is the answer
Havazn
+39|6710|van.ca
You are still pulling 4 g's but you are right about the direction. Your internal organs would be snapped in the other direction. Think of it like being on that boat ride that rocks like a pendulum except much much faster.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I think it would be hard to change directions that quickly... a machine could do it but the human body would black out... maybe with a pressure suit... lol...what do i know? im a bartender... but i stayed at a holiday inn express last night...

CB

www.bfpirates.com
Well, think of it this way.  If you're running forward and you twist your body to the left or right, your momentum keeps you going forward.  It matters not what direction you're facing, but in what direction your mass is travelling.
RONIN6969001
+0|6767|Duluth MN

ThomasMorgan wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

CB

www.bfpirates.com
Well, think of it this way.  If you're running forward and you twist your body to the left or right, your momentum keeps you going forward.  It matters not what direction you're facing, but in what direction your mass is travelling.
tomasmorgan is right       i had a question like that in my physics class in college moving is still moving you body is still going to give friction against the momentum you body is still going to fight it      its like a wheel      you spine it on one way and change the degree of the spining rotation it will one to keep going in its oraiganl rotation.               hope it helps       (sorry about spelling errors i suck at spelling haha )
GotMex?
+193|6779

ThomasMorgan wrote:

But running/walking is usually done at constant velocity which means there are no G's present. So yes the momentum will keep everythign moving in the same direction and you wouldn't feel anything. That was actually how I started thinking about this.

The problem is what happens when you are experiencing continuous acceleration. It seems intuitive that all that matters is which way the motion is directed, not where you are facing. But at the same time, I can't imagine being under an acceleration, turning around, and not having the organs inside change which way they are pressing against.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
But your organs would still be accelerating in one direction.  It doesn't matter if they're spinning or what...they're still accelerating on the same path, in the same direction.
GotMex?
+193|6779

ThomasMorgan wrote:

But your organs would still be accelerating in one direction.  It doesn't matter if they're spinning or what...they're still accelerating on the same path, in the same direction.
The reason my organs are accelerating is because they push on the inside of my back, which pushes on the front of the seat, which is attached to the jet, which is attached to the engine causing the acceleration. My organs (well everything more precisely) actually want to resist the acceleration since they want to stay at constant velocity.

When I turn around in my seat, the engine is still accelerating the rocket east, and the rocket is still making the seat accelerate eastward... however my body is now being accelerated by the seatbelt, rather than the front of the seat, and my organs are being accelerated by the inside of the front of my body. Damn I hadn't thought about this whole process.

Interesting, had I not had that seat belt and turned around like that, I would've gone flying into the back of the rocket and slammed head on lol, hadn't thought of that.

I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to try this because the body would experience a good amount of acceleration but I'm still not sure what will happen. I guess that's the problem of learning physics and treating everything as a particle haha. Doesn't scale too well for these situations.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

GotMex? wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

The reason my organs are accelerating is because they push on the inside of my back, which pushes on the front of the seat, which is attached to the jet, which is attached to the engine causing the acceleration. My organs (well everything more precisely) actually want to resist the acceleration since they want to stay at constant velocity.

When I turn around in my seat, the engine is still accelerating the rocket east, and the rocket is still making the seat accelerate eastward... however my body is now being accelerated by the seatbelt, rather than the front of the seat, and my organs are being accelerated by the inside of the front of my body. Damn I hadn't thought about this whole process.

Interesting, had I not had that seat belt and turned around like that, I would've gone flying into the back of the rocket and slammed head on lol, hadn't thought of that.

I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to try this because the body would experience a good amount of acceleration but I'm still not sure what will happen. I guess that's the problem of learning physics and treating everything as a particle haha. Doesn't scale too well for these situations.
But it's not like there's open space inside your body.  Your organs won't be crashing into each other like atoms in a nuclear reaction.  They'll just press up against something else and continue going in the same direction.
GotMex?
+193|6779

ThomasMorgan wrote:

But it's not like there's open space inside your body.  Your organs won't be crashing into each other like atoms in a nuclear reaction.  They'll just press up against something else and continue going in the same direction.
Yea that's true, they'll continue in the same direction the whole time. But my curiosity lies more in, what would that feel like, and if that would be potentially dangerous.

My best guess so far is that it is probably the equivalent of my organs travelling from front to back of my insides (like .25 meters lets say) in 1 second. That's like .5 m/s/s acceleration which is nothing really.

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-09-01 22:48:08)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

GotMex? wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Yea that's true, they'll continue in the same direction the whole time. But my curiosity lies more in, what would that feel like, and if that would be potentially dangerous.

My best guess so far is that it is probably the equivalent of my organs travelling from front to back of my insides(like .25 meters lets say) in 1 second. That's like .5 m/s ^s acceleration which is nothing really.
.25 meters is almost 1 foot.  I'd say it's more like a couple of inches, if even that.  I doubt it'd be harmful at all.  People come away from car crashes where they experience much worse G forces and where their organs slam against the front of a steering wheel...with only slight bruising.
GotMex?
+193|6779

ThomasMorgan wrote:

GotMex? wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

My best guess so far is that it is probably the equivalent of my organs travelling from front to back of my insides(like .25 meters lets say) in 1 second. That's like .5 m/s ^s acceleration which is nothing really.
.25 meters is almost 1 foot.  I'd say it's more like a couple of inches, if even that.  I doubt it'd be harmful at all.  People come away from car crashes where they experience much worse G forces and where their organs slam against the front of a steering wheel...with only slight bruising.
Lol i did .25 meters for maths sake, but yes, minimal G forces was my point.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6737|Sydney, Australia
Depending on how you are strapped in:

As you are being accelerated facing foward, your head is pushed against the seat behind you.

As soon as the chair turns around, there is nothing supporting your head. Your head snaps foward...

What will happen then?

Mcminty.
GotMex?
+193|6779

BOOOOM... I'm gonna try it out tomorrow, I'll report back if i'm still alive.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6577

ThomasMorgan wrote:

They could smash through your gut........or they might smush before that...............
spray_and_pray
+52|6507|Perth. Western Australia
4g's 4 times the weight of gravity you will not black out a barrel roll is 3g's if done for a continued amount of time you might it depends on the quality of the pilot there are also 2 forms of "blacking out" there is tunnel vision where you will get a tunnel effect which is all your blood rushing to your legs then you black out. Then there is a red out where all the blood will rush to your head making everything look... well red. Travelling forward at 4g's then spinning 180 well youd snap your neck whilst you go to the side it will apply pressure 4 times the weight of gravity. Think of it this way you have a 40 kilometre wind blowing you back now if you twist your head theres a 40 kilometre wind blowing at your side. Twist again your back will be facing the wind and you will be blowing forwards. The amount of gs "wind" never changes you just move position. Oh BTW maybe your internal organs wont be crushed passenger airplanes that have went into dives have went from -2g's to +2-+3 in seconds take the Aeroflot A300 as example. This sent some passengers flying into the air then slamming them back to the ground. Now while most of them didnt die because of shifting organs but hitting the ground. COnsidering your person is stationary he will always encounter those 4g's on his body if his neck didnt snap he would live but probably feel sick or encounter internal bleeding such as seen in a car accident. The G's would also be so great that he would be brain damaged and would pop bloodvessels if he rotated 180 that fast with that amount of g's. Sorry for the long explination but its porbably going to help someone... one day

Last edited by spray_and_pray (2006-09-02 09:33:20)

therealnicoli
+5|6693
I imagine turning your body would be quite hard under 4 g's and therefore, turning  around in one second wudnt be possible. If you had a chair that would flip 180 under this acceleration, then I presume your internal organs would be suddenly be squashed against the front of your chest moving from the back. This would probaly cause a bit of damage and hurt.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6780|Dallas
I'm pretty sure this would fall under Einstiens rule on moving objects.  You moving at the same rate as the rocket so turning around shouldn't have any effect on you as long as the rocket is not accelerating.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6691|Canberra, AUS
I was under the opinion that those rules didn't mean much unless you're going ridiculously fast.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
CommieChipmunk
+488|6586|Portland, OR, USA
some test pilot was launched on a rocket (on rails) and he hit a rediculous amount of negative Gs when he hit the water pit that was stopping him, he burst the capillaries in his eyes, it was sick
Rosse_modest
+76|6792|Antwerp, Flanders

Spark wrote:

I was under the opinion that those rules didn't mean much unless you're going ridiculously fast.
Yes, ludicrous speed for instance, as seen in "Spaceballs". :-|
Rosse_modest
+76|6792|Antwerp, Flanders

Cougar wrote:

I'm pretty sure this would fall under Einstiens rule on moving objects.  You moving at the same rate as the rocket so turning around shouldn't have any effect on you as long as the rocket is not accelerating.
The rocket has a constant acceleration of 4 Gs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard