Aardcore
+60|6724|USA, Arizona
I remember when Counterstrike came out as a beta... and it was good for a time. Then for some strange reason or another the hype about it exploded into this similarly cultist fashion that people play infamously because they feel as though it's skillful to run around killing one another in a 'special forces' type of way, but I also remember CS becoming seperate and then they changed the names of the guns around? Like the sniper rifle... it's been YEARS since I've played ANY kind of CS and that was when it was still a beta, and a mod that you could download at that... anyway, the sniper rifle was renamed "The Magnum Rifle" or something like that, really stupid and I just left CS alone all together.

With that said, in hopes of finding some cool mods to play my games on (I left Half-Life alone after CS came out... felt kind of ashamed to admit I was going to play CS till that huge change came around) I decided to hook up with another FPS I had lying around, Unreal Tournament. I'm talking about OLDSKOOL FPS type shooter with EpicGames, though I never played that game online much... there was one mod that changed my FPS experience to PC gaming, Tactical Ops, later renamed Tactical Ops: War on Terror.

That was a FUN GAME! And the game that pretty much introduced me to what people online considered 'hacking' because I would remember countless measures of time and practice where I'd be playing this game and practically annihilated the opposition as other guys would bring up "Alright Aardcore, what aimbot are you using?" And of course, when I asked them what an aimbot was, they laughed, and to this very day, I STILL have no idea how or where you can get these aimbots, nor do I care to... yet I wish people would stop bugging out that I can actually aim... I dunno if people play it online anymore but when I went to a previous thread and thought about how fun of a game that was, I decided to see if there was a recent mod for the 2004 port of the Unreal Tournament series, lo and behold, I found it. Tactical Ops: Crossfire.

If I have any reason to leave BF2 alone as I might as well do now (besides the long ass download time of PoE2, just because I wanna try it out for the interest of others giving it such rave reviews) I might be playing Tactical Ops for a long time just to reminisce on good, solid gameplay. To me, Tactical Ops wasn't just a mod, it was a totally new experience that in my opinion, blew CS out of the water but was more like an underground, underdog type title since CS had taken the gold away from any kind of 'close quarter FPS' gaming/mod/genre.

Does anyone else remember Tactical Ops?
Samtheman53
Banned
+346|6707|UK
not me
Aardcore
+60|6724|USA, Arizona
Seriously? Man... come to think of it, the only people I ever got to play against while I was into TactOps were Germans, Dutch... dudes overseas! I barely recall many American players, but I was also living in Germany at the time I found out about this too so that might've been it too
Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6687|Moscow, Russia
Yeah, I did play Tactical Ops for UT a little. It didn't really impress me.
Aardcore
+60|6724|USA, Arizona

Wasder wrote:

Yeah, I did play Tactical Ops for UT a little. It didn't really impress me.
Really? Man it impressed the heck out of me when I played, it just felt more intuitive and intense than CS ever did for me, that and with the unreal engine at good use, it looked spectacular to me. Shame.

I'm beginning to think I'm the only guy who knows and played TactOps

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard