CameronPoe
+2,925|6561

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

Cameronpoe wrote:

You neglect to consider that Japan and Germany were thoroughly westernised and modern nations prior to WWII
Yeah Japan was real westernized ? more like polar opposites..

CameronPoe wrote:

who were UTTERLY defeated in battle and had no choice but to bend to the will of the victors.
Some truth but they hardly had laser guided munitions then and to achieve the allies goals we decimated the entire country. Instead America today uses precision and destroyed their capability to fight conventional warfare.

CameronPoe wrote:

where 'victory' has only occurred in the minds of Donald Rumsfeld et al.
Cessation of all conventional warfare and the destruction of the Republican guard in record time is without a doubt a 'victory' of sorts. I'm well aware you enjoy demeaning and discrediting the accomplishments of these men but its only because of your own ignorance of the subject and biased support for anything anti-American that supports it. Rumsfeld and company certainly underestimated the insurgency among other things but had we truly been an oppressive and imperialistic regime and not granted Iraqi's freedom then installed a police state like the Russians did to the Germans. Also if you believe that the Germans just laid down after official surrender you're wrong Read up about the German Werewolf

I also don't accept your contention that Islam and democracy cant coexist I'm sure there are a few million American and British muslims that disagree with you.
LOL

You can throw your 'Anti-American' taunt around all you want, it ain't true. Just because I present positions contrary to yours doesn't mean I'm anti-American. You probably think Americans who hold similar views are Anti-American - and that really is Anti-American!!!

a) Japan embraced western culture under American auspices circa 1850. Hence the reason they were so far advanced of regional threats such as China in terms of technology and resourcefulness. Read up on it.
b) What are you going to fire your precision guided laser weapons at? You can't tell who the fuck is who for christ's sake!!!! Read up on guerrilla warfare, it's an interesting and almost undefeatable warfare tactic you know. Conventional warfare is dead. Get with the program. Has the IRA been militarily defeated yet? No. Has FARC been defeated yet? No. Has Fatah or Hamas been defeated yet? No. Has Hezbollah been defeated yet? No. THe list goes on. I think war chiefs need to start rethinking their strategies.
c) Are you trying to equate a protest at pay cuts in oppressive Soviet East Germany with the bloodthirsty suicide-bombtastic insurgency in Iraq? Please. Total deaths <= 267. Your analogy is laughable. Popularity and sustainablity of Werewolf: pathetically poor. Good analogy for the middle east? Don't make me laugh.
d) Personally I hope you're right about Islam and democracy. I do think that certain muslims, especially in Afghanistan, are still entrenched in traditional thinking though.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-08-30 04:04:00)

Eboreus
Member of Foamy's Card Cult
+46|6653
well then explain to me, why the government in japan needs the approval of the US government if they inted to change their constitution?
the german constitution has not been written only by germans after the war as well and still it's up to our government to change it, if they like to - without the approval of anyone.

yes I did read your post, thats why I replied to it and I may have another opinion than you on this topic - does this make me wrong by default? please try not to disregard my posts, just because you are of another opinion. doesnt look that good imo.
Eboreus
+46|6653

CameronPoe wrote:

a) Japan embraced western culture under American auspices circa 1850. Hence the reason they were so far advanced of regional threats such as China in terms of technology and resourcefulness. Read up on it.
just a little correction to add on this topic. japan acutally tried to defend it's country against as many western influences as possible. they acutally have been forced to open towards the western countries by commodre perry and his superior fleet (leaving dejima out of this, since the relationship to the dutch has always been quite well)
but that of course does not change the fact that they were quite ahead of other countries in that region - too bad they didnt put that advantage to good use. but then again they probably just followed the example made by european countries.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6721
japan loves our ass, we love their anime. we love each other
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6567

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

wow cockblower.. actually charles kades wrote the fuckin new japanese constitution
And?  It's still the Japanese constitution.

Further, your original statement is false:  the Japanese surrender was to the Allied Powers, as represented by Douglas MacArthur, not to the US.

And now, you look even dumber.  Don't you feel proud.

P.S.  Charles Kades is hardly a founding father, Japan was a nation long before that constitution was written.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6721
...gg, japan did surrender to allied powers, not US, for the third time i agree w/ bubbalo. But the US did help japan a lot economically and technologically. look at all the countries US has occupied after a war... high tech and good economy =/
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6567
Eboreus:  Once the Japanese were forced to enter into the world stage, however (IIRC by a gunship not a fleet), they quickly embraced Western industrialism and imperialism, unlike China, who continued to resist, and suffered for it.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6567

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

look at all the countries US has occupied after a war... high tech and good economy =/
Afghanistan, Iraq, I have yet to see the situation in Kuwait................

The ones which get well built are the ones useful to US (Western Europe and Asia going into Cold War).
Eboreus
+46|6653

Bubbalo wrote:

Eboreus:  Once the Japanese were forced to enter into the world stage, however (IIRC by a gunship not a fleet), they quickly embraced Western industrialism and imperialism, unlike China, who continued to resist, and suffered for it.
yeah sorry - the first visit was a single ship but the 2nd included a fleet.
as for the "quick embrace": i think it depends on how you define quick. compared to their long history it was very quick indeed but it still took a while until the meiji government was established. during this time it was very obvious, that the old elites were trying to fight off the western influence. eventually they lost to the revolution tho.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK
You might see Japan with a nuclear deterrent in the future if North Korea doesn't change its ways. This will balance the nuclear threat coming from N Korea. It may happen! Especially if N Korea dicide to fly missiles OVER Japanese air space again. LOL. North Korea have lost the plot!
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6567
1)  Japan will not be allowed to get nukes by it's own constitution

2)  Nukes are the real threat from North Korea.  Chemical weapons are.

3)  Japan are signatories to the Non-Proliferation Treaty.

Last edited by Bubbalo (2006-08-30 04:27:18)

Eboreus
+46|6653

General_CoLin_Tassi wrote:

You might see Japan with a nuclear deterrent in the future if North Korea doesn't change its ways. This will balance the nuclear threat coming from N Korea. It may happen! Especially if N Korea decide to fly missiles OVER Japanese air space again. LOL. North Korea have lost the plot!
most certainly not. i don't think that japan will try to achieve some kind of weird 'balance' with N.Korea by messing around with nuclear stuff. and even tho japan frowns upon n.koreas rocket-tests, they are not really taken that serious.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK
The constitution may allow nukes if they are for defence only, hence nuclear deterrent. And true, North Korea has many chemical and biological factories. Scary stuff. Hopefully the North Korean people will one day realise that their dear leader is a despot and should be removed from power.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6567
But nuclear weapons are of an offensive nature.  The theory is that your enemies will be so afraid your offensive capabilities that they will not attack.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK
No, nuclear weapons are of a defensive nature. It stops an enemy from attacking you as they will be completely destroyed. Hence the term MAD, Mutual Assured Destruction, if an enemy attacks you they run the risk of being completely destroyed. Nuclear weapons are deployed as the ultimate defence of a country. Although I would not avocate that all countries have them. There are enough now.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6567
MAD is based on an offensive theory: that is, a country that strikes at you can expect retribution in full.  It relies not upon destroying that which attacks you, but the area from which it comes.  It does not prevent your destruction, hence it is not defensive.  By your defenition the Japanese actions in WWII could be classified as defensive.
DirtyMexican
I knife Generals
+278|6542|Search Whore killing fields
japans only good for 1 thingy, pretty good food and weird sex videos
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6706|England, UK
If we had nuclear weapons in the WWII era, Germany and Japan wouldn't have attacked though fear of being nuked. No one would have been conscripted. France would have taken out Germany with its nukes before Paris fell.
Eboreus
+46|6653
looking at how many lifes hitler wasted without nukes, i highly doubt that he would have cared about you having nukes. and even if he didnt attack england or france, he'd still have attacked poland and so on. nukes create fear and if a country can defend itself only by sawing fear all over the world, they should honestly reconsider their politics imo.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6567

DirtyMexican wrote:

japans only good for 1 thingy, pretty good food and weird sex videos
That's two things.

General_CoLin_Tassi wrote:

If we had nuclear weapons in the WWII era, Germany and Japan wouldn't have attacked though fear of being nuked. No one would have been conscripted. France would have taken out Germany with its nukes before Paris fell.
That still doesn't make them defensive weapons.  Further, they probably just would have thrown the first nuke.  And you assume that France would have had nukes.

Last edited by Bubbalo (2006-08-30 05:47:20)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6721

Bubbalo wrote:

DirtyMexican wrote:

That still doesn't make them defensive weapons.  Further, they probably just would have thrown the first nuke.  And you assume that France would have had nukes.
dirty mexican didnt write thate =/

well nukes to me is not for defense, its totally for offense... if its for defence then why would you need ICBM's for it? nuclear arms was to make your enemeies afraid of your countries capabilities. sooner or later theyll start making satellites that fires lasers from space...
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6567
It's funny, because MAD is basically a variation on the pre-WWI balance of power theory, which worked so well
Cameron you got a problem trying to put shit into my mouth trying to turn the shit i say into a lie. I didnt say you were anti-American but that you support anything thats anti-American and I've seen it. Absolutely any topic that sheds America in a bad light whether factual based or heresay you will promote as the truth. Now i didnt equate the german resistance to occupation I simply refrenced it.. you being the jackass you are simply must blow shit out of proportion and spin. You say that the Germans had no resistance and "bent to the will" but that isnt true there were many hardliners that killed hundreds of allied troops well after 1945.

Japan embraced western technology NOT the culture. America FORCED and they resented it..

Bubbalo wrote:

Charles Kades is hardly a founding father, Japan was a nation long before that constitution was written.
Oh I missed where I said we created Japan .. hence the word NEW?... And given the close relations we hold with Japan today its a safe assumption if they wish to revise the constitution WE wrote for them they would certainly have discourse with the country that defeated them and implemented it.

Bubbalo wrote:

Afghanistan, Iraq, I have yet to see the situation in Kuwait................

The ones which get well built are the ones useful to US (Western Europe and Asia going into Cold War).
This is among your most ignorant comments. Firstly as to Kuwait unless you live under a rock Kuwait has prospered. Secondly I'd love to hear how you can spin Vietnam South Korea Japan Germany or Italy as being more "usefull" to America than Iraq or Afghanistan.
Eboreus
+46|6653
well this used to be an interesting discussion until you entered it with your aggressive stance....
i still fail to see, why japan should ask the US about changing their constitution. no matter who wrote it, it has been in place for more than 50 years now and has been changed in the past already. and they are discussing changes to it again (the heir problem) and no one considers asking the US in that matter.

as for germany, the main reason why it was reconstructed by the allied forces (correct me if I'm wrong but germany was not only in the possession of the US..) was the fact the western nations wanted a strong country next to the borders of the sow jet union (I am so naive to rely on the opinion of many historians here - sorry) and you need to convince me that vietnam is in such a good condition these days... but that is off topic and hence not the right place to discuss it, I guess.
jonsimon
+224|6500

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

This is among your most ignorant comments. Firstly as to Kuwait unless you live under a rock Kuwait has prospered. Secondly I'd love to hear how you can spin Vietnam South Korea Japan Germany or Italy as being more "usefull" to America than Iraq or Afghanistan.
They were all potential allies of the USSR. Likewise, we placed both saddam and the shah of Iran in power to gaurentee their loyalty to the US, ignoring their oppressive nature.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard