wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6477|UK
I know this sounds like a very stupid question but is there that much of a significant difference of power velocity and what not if the same ammunition is fired from a different gun. I understand theres different rifling in the barrels but would it really make that much of a difference.
DrM
+33|6638
In answer to your question.. Yes.
A large percentage of all guns out there use one of the standard ammunition types.
The differences in the guns are not only about the length and rifling of the barrel, but include factors such as the material and quality of the components.
Just like any other bit of machinery, small changes can have large changes on the end result.

DrM
phnxfrhwk
+14|6690|Just outside of baltimore, Md.
Absolutly most of the difference comes in the difference between types of firearms, Like a bolt action or semi auto. you will most likely acheive a higher velocity and more muzzle energy out of a bolt action.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6477|UK
Wow thanks for that .
phnxfrhwk
Also you have to consider that not all bullets are created the same. Sure most everybody can tell the difference between full metal jacket and hollow points but even then the weight of one full metal jacket bullet can differ from another of the same caliber. Same with the other types of bullets.
I dont see where rifling would cause a significant difference. compared to barrel length, barrel material, or operating mechanism would. Mainly rifling would affect accuracy. oddly enough the more twists does not always equal more accuracy. Prime example is the AR-15 a 1:8 twist is more accurate that the 1:9 twist varient.
Also you can take into account the modifications done to the barrel as well. the biggest thing would be the addition of barrel porting/muzzle breaks to help with recoil, or the addition of a scilencer which allows gasses to escape before the bullet leaves the barrel. Although with a scilencer you would be using subsonic ammo for obvious reasons.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6535|Montucky

phnxfrhwk wrote:

Also you have to consider that not all bullets are created the same. Sure most everybody can tell the difference between full metal jacket and hollow points but even then the weight of one full metal jacket bullet can differ from another of the same caliber. Same with the other types of bullets.
I dont see where rifling would cause a significant difference. compared to barrel length, barrel material, or operating mechanism would. Mainly rifling would affect accuracy. oddly enough the more twists does not always equal more accuracy. Prime example is the AR-15 a 1:8 twist is more accurate that the 1:9 twist varient.
Also you can take into account the modifications done to the barrel as well. the biggest thing would be the addition of barrel porting/muzzle breaks to help with recoil, or the addition of a scilencer which allows gasses to escape before the bullet leaves the barrel. Although with a scilencer you would be using subsonic ammo for obvious reasons.
If you have a micro groove barrel (cannot remember the exact twist ratio) it will spin a boat tail round out of control and cause the bullet to travel sideways through the air, my fathers Marlin 30-06 did this with a 168 grain hollow point boat tail but my Winchester 70 30-06 shot flawlessly with those same rounds.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6546|Global Command
My mini 14 just feels different than my old AR 15. Its louder, less accurate.
JE3146
+109|6588|Oregon
It will vary greatly based on a few things.

Barrel length(16", 20", 24" .. etc to name a few), Barrel style (Bull/Target barrels, Thin or lightweight profiles, Heavy barrels and combinations of each), Barrel features (Poly rifling, button rifling, fluting), Action type (Auto, bolt, revolving).

Then if it's an auto, you have to consider whether it's blowback, direct impingement or piston.

Then you have boltface variances between flush fit and locking bolts.

Then if it's a locking bolt, you have to take into consideration varying numbers of bolt lugs.

Then you have to consider stockset types, and whether the barrel is freefloated, bedded, or none of the above.

The list goes on....

Last edited by JE3146 (2006-08-30 01:10:08)

VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6690|A sunburnt country
How old are you and why do you want to know dude..........and be fucking careful if you are playing with bang sticks.

JE3146
+109|6588|Oregon

VspyVspy wrote:

How old are you and why do you want to know dude..........and be fucking careful if you are playing with bang sticks.

The only stupid question about firearms is the one not asked.

Personally I wish that more would become knowedgable about firearms, because a lack of knowledge kills more than knowledge itself.
phnxfrhwk

JE3146 wrote:

VspyVspy wrote:

The only stupid question about firearms is the one not asked.

Personally I wish that more would become knowedgable about firearms, because a lack of knowledge kills more than knowledge itself.
I agree completely. its a shame to hear about young children getting killed because daddy and mommy never taught the kids proper firearm saftey. I was never much one for gun locks/safes (I dont have kids yet either) but reguardless of how much I teach my kid about it, Ill always be wondering about the friends he/she is gonna have.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6566|Southeastern USA

phnxfrhwk wrote:

Absolutly most of the difference comes in the difference between types of firearms, Like a bolt action or semi auto. you will most likely acheive a higher velocity and more muzzle energy out of a bolt action.
yes, bolt actions utilize nearly all of the load's explosive force in the acceleration of the projectile (a minimal amount is lost to heat transfer), this is why all the most revered sniper and hunting rifles use this action in spite of it being more than a century old.
next best is the revolver type, but this allows some of the propellant gases to be expelled through the gap between the cylinder and the muzzle lead and over time the gap can erode and actually get larger (sometimes called "flash cutting" older S&W's were known to suffer from this) further decreasing the efficiency of the load.
other actions like those found in most semi-auto's use the recoil of the shell to cycle the breach, so the design of the action and manufacturing tolerances can greatly effect final muzzle velocity. Sometimes you can change to a lighter spring or slide to reduce the amount of energy expended on the action of the breach (as well as the speed with which the gun reloads) but this increases recoil (less weight to absorb the kick) and increases the likelihood of a jam (less spring pressure to pull the slide back into place.
The least common most of us are likely to see (as opposed to the motorized vulcans, GAU's, and such) are the gas operated full auto's like the AK series uses. The rail running along the top of the ak is actually a tube that, after the bullet passes the forward part of it, routes some of the exhaust gases back to the breach to operate it for the next round. This can be tricky in the field as it's normally more pieces to keep clean and clog up, but the AK gets away with it because it has such sloppy tolerances, making them great "work horse" guns as you can use them as hockey sticks in a sandstorm and they'll still fire, but they lose out when it comes to muzzle velocity and longer range accuracy.

Lever actions are generally the same basic principle as bolts, requiring manual force to action the rifle, but work more like a piston with the lever simply ramming the breach open and shut with a little more blow by, but allowing a faster reload, whereas the bolt actually twists and locks into place.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard