DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6779
Before you read this, understand Im praising a certain playing style that I did not make up (but I have seen done before), NOT my own accomplishments yesterday.

So Im sitting at my computer yesterday, bored, and I decided Im going to try for my knife and pistol vet badges.

So I find a server with Karkand

Well, I get the pistol one fairly easily.  So the next round I decide to try for knife.

I spend the whole round knife only, as the medic kit to heal any battle wounds I may have.  I absolutely sucked at first, but as I learned to sneak around people and lure them into traps, I got better and better.  I even figured out how to rush people shooting at you with a knife (which was something I could not do before).

Well, low and behold, I get about 16 kills that round - no badge.  I had forgotten I need 50 global to get it.  Doh!  Well, I spent the next few rounds knifing only to bring my total up.  By the end of the night I had gotten my vet knife badge.

Im just praising this style of "knife-only" play.  Sneaking around, trying to lure people into your traps, etc., it was alot of fun!  And hell, I didn't have a bad K/D ratio once I figured out just what the hell I was doing.  I ended the night with about 65 knife kills over 4 rounds - 3 Karkand, 1 Wake Island.

The other side of it is that I gained alot of valuable experience when it comes to learning how to sneak around people and setting traps for other players to run into - I feel that in the long run, this is going to greatly improve my game from the usual "Spot enemy, dive, shoot" that I played as before - and I think I'll get much higher scores because of it - using your knife forces you to sneak and survive instead of running out into the open and shooting randomly at some guy 20 yards away. 

For example, there were numerous times when I had snuck so well that I had an easy 2-3 kills within sight - had I not been using the knife exclusively, it would have been a quick and easy 4-6 points.  So, I think Im going to play my rounds now imagining a knife in my hand, and using my gun only when I get the perfect shots.  I got some very good scores with a knife that I feel could be multiplied by using my gun for those longer range kills.

So, Im just saying, if you're looking for a challenge and a way to improve your game, go knife only for a round or two.  It's alot of fun, and you'll learn how to get around and set yourself up for more kills much better!

Praise the knife!
dobbs
Pawtucket Patriot
+0|6752|Cohog, RI
What is the best way to rush a person (prone or standing) with the knife.  I did it once on dragon valley.  A guy was prone capping our village and i turned the corned and saw him laying there and he saw me.  He started to fire but i jumped and dived and stabbed the hell out of him!  Lucky stab im guessing.
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6783|The Hague, Holland
Ok, youve won me over.
Praise the knife.
Ill be sure to give it a shot tho, for my exp knife badge.
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6795|Canberra, Australia
I would just like to get the Basic...

I finally got pistol the other night on Ghost Town.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6747

I totally agree with the original poster, having experienced the exact same thing myself - you really learn how to attack your opponent better when forced to only use the knife. You learn to attack from other angles then straight on, you learn to keep moving and when to lunge in for the attack and when to avoid getting shot. You learn to lay traps, and you really get an adrenaline rush when you stab that bastard unloading his AK47 on you. It's quite hilarious, because you know whats going through their head while they lay there dead. That fucker stabbed me and I have this huge fucking gun - no fucking way thats bullshit!! wah wah wambulance buddy lmao!

The best technique I've found for the knife rush head on is doing a zig zag at your enemy while jumping and diving, and then dive at your opponents feet and stab - alternatively doing the jump prone and stabbing their chest area works too. The main thing is making it hard for them to aim.

Oh yea a tip for shock paddlers - the humvee and the vodnik, if you can get to the back opening (like stand next to it) and you use your shock paddles there, the guy in the turret will die! Its great fun lmao.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6849|San Francisco

[CANADA]_Zenmaster wrote:

Oh yea a tip for shock paddlers - the humvee and the vodnik, if you can get to the back opening (like stand next to it) and you use your shock paddles there, the guy in the turret will die! Its great fun lmao.
Hehe, on a similar note I recall when I was running around getting my basic knife badge and this guy hopped into a vodnik to try and shoot me with the .50 cal on top. I calmly hopped up the side of the vodnik and knifed him in the top of the head, it was pretty hilarious because he was really pissed off about it.
DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6779

tF-voodoochild wrote:

[CANADA]_Zenmaster wrote:

Hehe, on a similar note I recall when I was running around getting my basic knife badge and this guy hopped into a vodnik to try and shoot me with the .50 cal on top. I calmly hopped up the side of the vodnik and knifed him in the top of the head, it was pretty hilarious because he was really pissed off about it.
Lmao!  I almost forgot.....I did the exact same thing last night to a guy gunning in a T-90 while playing as USMC.  He was mowing us down, spawn camping, and I just hopped up the side and stabbed.

I got a bunch of "LOL!"'s after that lol.

I would agree that the best knife method is as Zenmaster said - zig zagging and then diving.  However, I would sneak next to someone numerous times last night and just knife them in the head.

The best way to do it is to find someone distracted by enemies, or better yet, have someone distract the enemies.  This way they are usually standing or laying still, and focused on something other than the guy about the shank them lol.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6790|Singapore

what traps?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

Pistol is a piece of piss.
DrDestruction - Congratulations. What a skill to have. I know exactly what you are talking about and I believe that's how knife was meant to be played. I will try to do likewise to earn my remaining basic badge.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6757|United States of America
i got my knife badge yesterday, though it was really just a 5 man frenzy with them on sharqi.  One of the guys on my team was a medic and got only kills with shock paddles, then when i was dead and he was gettin stabbed at he would revive  me! I then got my badge and started for my vet pistol, it was funny to let them run straight at me then mow em down with the thing.
DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6779

polarbearz wrote:

what traps?
Like intentionally getting seen and running around a corner and waiting for the guy, throwing a grenade and having the guy run to where it came from (I did that once or twice.  Some players are so stupid lol).

Tyferra - thanks, it really isnt that hard once you get the hang of it, but the sneaking skills you gain are indispensable.  I used a few tonight, with my gun, with great success.
BurlySmurf
+1|6756|Nellis AFB
I spent the last few nights getting my support time up to 16 hours. Since I hate the main support guns I decided to play knife only. I got about 45 kills in the last 2 nights and promptly got this little beauty this afternoon.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/genericposter/BF22005-12-0116-19-00-89.jpg

I have the man laying on the ground to thank for the knife badge. Thank you Terrel.Owens, you are my hero.

I ended the round 15 kills and 12 deaths. Not bad for only using the knife.

PS: Kills like this make you feel good.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/genericposter/BF22005-12-0100-09-34-43.jpg

Last edited by BurlySmurf (2005-12-01 20:46:43)

DeltaForceWarrior
+1|6766
to bad none of these tactics work head on if the guy hops away when he sees a knife wielding maniac, which 95% of people (including myself) do.  i made my basic and vet at the same time because i already had the 50 required kills and i only was able to knife people that weren't paying attention (prone snipers and supports).

more power to the folks with the mad blade skills
DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6779

DeltaForceWarrior wrote:

to bad none of these tactics work head on if the guy hops away when he sees a knife wielding maniac, which 95% of people (including myself) do.  i made my basic and vet at the same time because i already had the 50 required kills and i only was able to knife people that weren't paying attention (prone snipers and supports).

more power to the folks with the mad blade skills
Actually, then I guess I got lucky.

Most of them stood there like morons, trying to blast away while I cut off their shins.
Leonnoe1
+2|6726
I got my Vet Knife the other day on Devil's Perch. Wasn't really trying, which made me feel good. Always good to get a badge when you don't expect it!
DeltaForceWarrior
+1|6766

Leonnoe1 wrote:

I got my Vet Knife the other day on Devil's Perch. Wasn't really trying, which made me feel good. Always good to get a badge when you don't expect it!
Word,

like a month ago, i must of just hit 50 global hours so the first round i played that day i unexpectedly got the good conduct ribbon.  it doesn't get much better then receiving an unexpected reward! (except the purple heart, of course!)
AFlyingNun
+0|6721
The knife can be one annoying little bastard for me, I'm support.

Here's a tip: Support guns suck unless scoped or lying down with scope, so if you manage to get decently close to a support, feel free to go all out after him, mainly because he'd have to lie down first  and scope in before he could manage to hit you, something he won't have time to do since you'd knife him immediatly.

Man, if I had a quarter everytime I died to a knife guy fifteen feet away.... XP
6thAD_Medic
+0|6712
Best way to knife somebody, use the sprint key and jump then go prone in quick succession, practice this on a karkand server starting up to get you going.  Grab a bud and go at it 1 v 1 and give eachother pointers on what works better, cuz you can't really tell what works in 1st person view.  It only takes 3 bars of sprint to pull off a quick superman dive on someone and to them it looks like you stabbed them from 10 ft away.   The sneaky stuff works great, watch for random guys running around that look like their heading off to a certain flag etc, and meet them on your terms.  The zig zag works great if you don't got surprise on your side, the dive usually works, 50/50 shot if there not a crackshot, cuz once you dive a headshot happens more often than not, same for diving vs mg fire etc if you dive straight.  Shock paddles work great to, i'd rather shock someone if there's a good chance of pulling it off, run around reviving teammates for 2 weeks and you'll be ready to try them on the enemy with better than average success.  Nothing better than a good knife fight though, I don't have a problem bustin mine out if I see someone with theirs out, atleast it's a one hit deal not like bf 42.
Clayton_Bigsby
Dumptruck
+6|6821|ATX
I didn't realize you could get BF2 awards in SF, too cool!!!  Does anyone know what other BF2 awards you can earn in SF?
FreeTargeT
+0|6720|Belfast - N.i
al this talk of knifing makes me want to get my expert badge , only need 18 kils iar . tough challenge ...bring it on
StokoE
Losers-Server
+51|6841|UK
I am going for my expert !!  hard work but i got my 37 explosives yesterday ! that was a mission
Proxima
+0|6756
I played knife-only for a while when i was gunning for my Basic Knife badge, and I know what you mean. Although I was mainly into the 'suicidal charge at a guy wielding an M203' approach most of the time.
idiotofwar
Jet Rammer
+4|6728|Debris From Space
I was trying for expert badge today and the round ended just as i was about to get my 18th kill. JUST.

The knife can be the most powerful weapon in the game. It's the only CQC weapon that instantly kills the enemy without killing yourself in a C4 blast or M203. The problem with the expert knife is the fact that you do have to rush head on. It's mostly about Knife vs. Gun for me and now that everybody is sprinting around with the G36E i lose.

Last edited by idiotofwar (2005-12-20 11:51:20)

kR4MR
3 Tours Of 'Nam And All I Got Was This Lousy Forum
+3|6738|Aus
Yep, a medics job is to kill, and patch himself up, and maybe revive someone if it will help his score.
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6703
Hehe, I managed (by a stoke of a miracle) to get my veteran pistol AND knife AND medic in the same round on Night Flight as SAS!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard