usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6803

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

way more thaught gone into it than BF2
You have got to be kidding me?  Way more thought went into a mod then actually building an entire game?
weapons that are all different yet all balanced varied vehicles and aircraft that are all still comparable, decent maps, better sfx, fuck theres nothing bf matches it on, mods been over a year in production so yeh... more thaught indeed... well possibly not more just more coherant thaught. lets face it bf2 is pretty poor in comparison.

The ppl who make decisions for balance and game play adjustments at DICE/EA have never come close to what the PoE crew have achieved, PoEs basically a game replacement rather than a mod, other than the underlying game engine nothing is the same and all of it is better. PoEs only down side is the fact its forced to run on an unstable janky mess of a game like BF2 so it still suffers from the ever popular "there is a problem with ur connection" bs.
But it is easier to "improve" as you point out, on an existing product than make an entire game.
Hyper
Banned
+154|6792
i was totally dissapointed
i was expecting more,this has that *lowbudgetfilm* feel to it.
DeltaGrey
+1|6566|Finland
My opinion

POE2 = Awesome.

Why?

Everything seem tuned up and quite balanced, guns feel like guns and u don't need to use 1 magazines to take out 1 guy, tanks are lil more "done" now with 2 different shells to shoot, and generally maps feel good chance for bf ones. And well, overall feeling is bit more realistic atlest for me, although i never been in battlefield
Great mod!
bobgreen5s
+0|6732
Some pickups are unnecessary. For example there is one standard rpg, one pickup anti-personnel rpg, and another pickup super-anti-tank rpg.
DeltaGrey
+1|6566|Finland

bobgreen5s wrote:

Some pickups are unnecessary. For example there is one standard rpg, one pickup anti-personnel rpg, and another pickup super-anti-tank rpg.
Mayby unnecessary, but nice add.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6672|Washington, DC

Hyper wrote:

I wasn't disappointed. I expected there would be balance/gameplay issues. No matter what anyone says, a testing environment is very different from a public play environment.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6803

Hyper wrote:

I think you and I are the only ones who feel this way.
tahadar
Sniper!!
+183|6780|Pakistan/England

bobgreen5s wrote:

i think its cool how there are 3 different types of AT weapons, nice addition
Hyper
Banned
+154|6792

usmarine2005 wrote:

Hyper wrote:

my entire clan thinks the same way, shrugs.
i agree that testing environments are difrent than normal play, but that doesnt effect the feel of a mod, and this one feels like a bad b movie to me.
bobgreen5s
+0|6732

usmarine2005 wrote:

Hyper wrote:

I think its just that the textures and vehicle renders aren't as polished and detailed as BF2 so it gives off that feel.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6695

Hyper wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Hyper wrote:

i agree that testing environments are difrent than normal play, but that doesnt effect the feel of a mod, and this one feels like a bad b movie to me.
Whereas BF2 doesn't?  There are plenty of maps that no-one seems to like in BF2, and the vehicles/weapons have been constantly tweaked and tuned since release.  Overall there seems to be little fundamental difference in the actual mechanics, I think alot of people are going to judge it more harshly because is isn't Karkand (and isn't supposed to be).

Maybe you are talking in purely graphical terms when you refer to *lowbudgetfilm* feel?  I wouldn't know because I don't give a flying fuck about graphics, it's all about gameplay as far as I'm concerned.  I might just add one point (edit:relating to graphics):  There is blood in PoE2, and to me that alone sets it apart from the excessively-PC, suitable for 10 year olds vanilla.  Now we just need F.E.A.R.-style dismemberment in a bf2 type game and I'll be happy...

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-08-27 10:15:55)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6661|Mhz

usmarine2005 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

You have got to be kidding me?  Way more thought went into a mod then actually building an entire game?
weapons that are all different yet all balanced varied vehicles and aircraft that are all still comparable, decent maps, better sfx, fuck theres nothing bf matches it on, mods been over a year in production so yeh... more thaught indeed... well possibly not more just more coherant thaught. lets face it bf2 is pretty poor in comparison.

The ppl who make decisions for balance and game play adjustments at DICE/EA have never come close to what the PoE crew have achieved, PoEs basically a game replacement rather than a mod, other than the underlying game engine nothing is the same and all of it is better. PoEs only down side is the fact its forced to run on an unstable janky mess of a game like BF2 so it still suffers from the ever popular "there is a problem with ur connection" bs.
But it is easier to "improve" as you point out, on an existing product than make an entire game.
Which brings about the point, why didnt EA/DICE implement these improvements or something similar rather than make a hash of most of it like they did?

answer? coz they didnt think about it... or at least it seems that way... nearly every alteration/improvement has been either botched or not even wanted/needed

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2006-08-27 11:29:23)

Fujin
+18|6588
For me, the game has a slightly better "feel", looks a little better, runs a hell of a lot smoother, and has a slightly more "real" feel to it (although I think totally realistic games would be a drag).  You really have to pay attention in this game which makes it a bit better challenge.  Overall, IMHO, I think it's better than BF2 vanilla.  I ran the game maxed out on graphics, AA at 4...looked and ran beautifully.  To test how it could handle things, I had a couple of other programs running in the background as well as a server, the game didn't miss a beat.  Couldn't do that with BF2v...

Time for a PoE2 forum, eh Chuy?

Last edited by Fujin (2006-08-27 15:14:29)

Hyper
Banned
+154|6792

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Hyper wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Whereas BF2 doesn't?  There are plenty of maps that no-one seems to like in BF2, and the vehicles/weapons have been constantly tweaked and tuned since release.  Overall there seems to be little fundamental difference in the actual mechanics, I think alot of people are going to judge it more harshly because is isn't Karkand (and isn't supposed to be).

Maybe you are talking in purely graphical terms when you refer to *lowbudgetfilm* feel?  I wouldn't know because I don't give a flying fuck about graphics, it's all about gameplay as far as I'm concerned.  I might just add one point (edit:relating to graphics):  There is blood in PoE2, and to me that alone sets it apart from the excessively-PC, suitable for 10 year olds vanilla.  Now we just need F.E.A.R.-style dismemberment in a bf2 type game and I'll be happy...
actually it looks a decent amount better than bf2 does (for the most part)
i am talking about the *feel* of the game itself.
it simply doesnt feel polished, vehicles react oddly, so on so forth, and before ya start saying that i dont know what im talking about, i was the project manager/co lead of poe for bfv until we released .3, then i quit.
i have nothing against the mod at all, im simply stating an opinion about the gameplay.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6714|Colorado
Its fun stuff, be nice if we could get it ranked after 2142 comes out.
Even if its not though I'll play it a lot, its a whole new expansion, not a booster lol.
these guys deserve super props & much more.
Hyper
Banned
+154|6792
im looking forward to some hotfixes for vehicles
im sure that will make alot of difrence for me
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6736|Vancouver BC Canada
I wanna not have to change wepons for the MG on jets.
Gentlesouljah.e
+14|6503|United States
bump.
To many PoE threads....
Krysiss
+15|6516|NL

DeltaGrey wrote:

My opinion

POE2 = Awesome.

Why?

Everything seem tuned up and quite balanced, guns feel like guns and u don't need to use 1 magazines to take out 1 guy, tanks are lil more "done" now with 2 different shells to shoot, and generally maps feel good chance for bf ones. And well, overall feeling is bit more realistic atlest for me, although i never been in battlefield
Great mod!
LoL it take you 1 magazine to take guy out.
remind me I can  take 3 people out with one clip.
eagles1106
+269|6625|Marlton, New Jersey.

tahadar wrote:

xX[Elangbam]Xx wrote:

tahadar wrote:

i think both the M82 and the NTW-20 are one shot kills.
Wow, i haven't heard much complaining then. Is it balanced in anyway though?
yeah its pretty balanced actually. you have to FIND the one-shot-kill sniper rifles, you spawn with semi-auto, 3-shot-kill rifles if you just choose the sniper kit. therefore theres only one badass sniper per team at any given time with a one-shot-kill weapon, so its not too bad at all. and its not like everyones after the pick-up-kits, so theyre not that hard to get if you look for them.

oh, and you HAVE to be prone to shoot the pick-up sniper rifles, game wont let you shoot them unproned.
I think there could be more then just one per team, it just takes a while for them to repawn regaurdless of the guy with it dies or doesnt, oh and, the m82 fucking pwns.
10 bullets=10 kills if you hit the guys you shoot at
tahadar
Sniper!!
+183|6780|Pakistan/England

eagles1106 wrote:

tahadar wrote:

xX[Elangbam]Xx wrote:

Wow, i haven't heard much complaining then. Is it balanced in anyway though?
yeah its pretty balanced actually. you have to FIND the one-shot-kill sniper rifles, you spawn with semi-auto, 3-shot-kill rifles if you just choose the sniper kit. therefore theres only one badass sniper per team at any given time with a one-shot-kill weapon, so its not too bad at all. and its not like everyones after the pick-up-kits, so theyre not that hard to get if you look for them.

oh, and you HAVE to be prone to shoot the pick-up sniper rifles, game wont let you shoot them unproned.
I think there could be more then just one per team, it just takes a while for them to repawn regaurdless of the guy with it dies or doesnt, oh and, the m82 fucking pwns.
10 bullets=10 kills if you hit the guys you shoot at
yep you are right. the weapons just take quite a while to respawn, so there can be more than one AMR per team at any given time.
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6527|England
Its a decent mod..but i really hate the fact that support does'nt have grenades..in bf2 i always count on my nades to get me out of bad situations.
ViP.ShooTa
+6|6791
this is one of the best features - the lack of grenades - for the moment as it makes squads work as a team using the smoke grenades to get themm out of trouble and to cover the squads advance. -
i think and i'm fairly certain the dev's though this too (from reading the poe2 forums) that if they had given every kit a grenade loadout from the begining -  that a spam fest would ensue - ala karkland -

as for the "bad movie" vibe - lol dont run low graphics - run high. poe2 is beautiful - and the majority of peeps can run at full unlike vbf2.

And ranked is already being looked at - it wont be bf2 ranked - ie with weapon unlocks - thats what the pickup kits are for - everyone starts with a level playing field - and if you learn the game and its technicals you will become a better player and a higher scorer than someone who thinks that they can pick up a kit/ vehicle and be insta gods with it .- THANK GOD

neways im opff for some poe2age.
Twinn
+3|6572|Milwaukee, WI
It seems they went too far with the realism aproach. Maps are huge and flags too damn far apart. Flying feels too flight-sim-ish, especially helicoptors.  Guns sound/feell great, but theres just something that bugs me about them and I cant put my finger on it. For some reason I get this huge dissapointment feeling when playing, something  like... "been there done that".
eagles1106
+269|6625|Marlton, New Jersey.

Twinn wrote:

It seems they went too far with the realism aproach. Maps are huge and flags too damn far apart. Flying feels too flight-sim-ish, especially helicoptors.  Guns sound/feell great, but theres just something that bugs me about them and I cant put my finger on it. For some reason I get this huge dissapointment feeling when playing, something  like... "been there done that".
You havent seen reality until you play project reality 0_0, i HATED that mod..

Last edited by eagles1106 (2006-08-31 20:52:56)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard