kylef
Gone
+1,352|6504|N. Ireland
I just can't do this! I always end up moving forward a lot, backword a lot, or up a lot! I do use a joystick, but just can't helicopter hover - ANYWHERE!

Becoming a nuisance now, especially in gunnery choppers when I am the one flying..

Any ways to rectify this problem!!?
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6582

Hovering only makes you an easy target anyways...
jord
+2,382|6689|The North, beyond the wall.
I use a mouse and what i do is wait until the little green circle comes on the screen and then adjust to that.

There's not many situations were you need to perfectly hover anyway.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6504|N. Ireland
.. point? If I actually land the thing I'm even more vulnerable as it takes longer to get away - hence why I am asking the question..
Trooper_Collider
+25|6755
I've found out that keyboard is better for flying copters than joysticks. Joysticks are good for planes, though.

Semper Fi!
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6578|NYC / Hamburg

practice a bit in single player. for hovering you only need a low amout of power (30% or something). keep the heli straight and only correct with small movements
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Impaqt
+37|6649|Chicago, Il
Make sure you have a dead zone defined in your Joystick profile...  This was my bigest issue with hovering at first..  No dead spot..  any bump of the joystick sent me in one direction or another...  Openeing up the dead area allowed me to hover without issue...   Just play withthe thottle...
ValentijnR
+18|6564
on my computer i can hover very well

but on my friends computer i cant somehow... he has sucky graphics... and my chopper loses altitude 3 times more quickely then on my own computer...
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6761
HINT:

NEVER, I say NEVER hover, unless you are just picking someone up or repairing. You will become and easy target if you hover and will be shot down.

Also, even more important, NEVER, NEVER hover to capture a flag! If you must capture it, then get your gunner to jump out while you circle the base, then pick him/her up again when you are done.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6576|England

Practise on SP Dragon Valley. Ive been doing that a lot lately, but with the TV missiles and I can now hit things
It paid off on Dalian earlier too, was impressed with myself

Just keep practising - it comes quicker to some people than to others.
Chou
+737|6801
Hovering in a BH is the coolest thing
[THE] comben
Wee and Biscuits
+43|6544|Cardiff
u should make sure your yaw and pitch are at '1' i found that when i increased them..it seemed to introduce a delay to the helo reactions, kinda lol :s.

my mouse sensitivity for helo's is 6 btw.  dunno if that will help but i find they kinda hover themselves almost so maybe it'll help u to change ur sens and the yaw/pitch thingy too.
Cr4zyM3x1c4n
+5|6496

Trooper_Collider wrote:

I've found out that keyboard is better for flying copters than joysticks. Joysticks are good for planes, though.

Semper Fi!
i agree with him joysticks are more useful in planes than choppers,i use keyboard and mouse for chopper and joystick for planes so yea don't hover it makes you an easy target.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6533
when u need to hover, just get the speed as low as possible and keep her steady. it is much easier to fly with the keyboard only IMO. hope this helps.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6779|Human Meat Shield
Basically don't touch the Joystick and set your throttle to 50% or until not drifting. Nose should be parallel to with the ground ( meaning you wont see directly under you) Hovering is only useful when you have all the airfield caps, but there are too many AT's to even consider hovering. If you hover around me while Im AT you will get shot down or be running for repairs..so don't bother hovering. I sense you like to spawnrape; I've seen this as the only useful thing in hovering. Primacord does a good job in the heli, but Ive never seen him hover, if he does he's smokin' in 2 seconds.
[Chaos]Assassin
+18|6525
I fly the helicopter a lot and have a superb gunner fly with me.  I find that sometimes it's good to hover if you and your gunner are aware if your surroundings.  I like flying on Sharqi a lot and can cap the TV station while hovering usually with no problem, the maps that I fly on with jets I usually never hover because they can easily shoot you down, or even resort to kamikaze style and ram into you.  I find with my keyboard it is INCREDIBLY easy to hover, you just take your hand off the throttle and it hovers for you, but for my joystick I have to keep adjusting the throttle up a little and down a little to keep it in 1 position.
beerface702
+65|6704|las vegas
i cant fly a chopper with the stick. it is crazy to me.

great for a plane though

with mouse n keyboard its a snap to hover. just level the nose out with the mouse, no throttle. it hovers perfectly.

easy to do

set your mouse senstivity to 8 or 9. and keep yaw at 1, pitch 1 or 2
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6497|Melbourne

Impaqt wrote:

Make sure you have a dead zone defined in your Joystick profile...  This was my biggest issue with hovering at first..  No dead spot..  any bump of the joystick sent me in one direction or another...  Opening up the dead area allowed me to hover without issue...   Just play with the thottle...
thats the key!
Also make sure (if u have FF) the the spring is centered
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6689|Middle of nowhere
i have problems with hovering too, but with more practice, and one round with an AWESOME gunner, i realized that you don't really need to hover

so i wouldn't worry TOO much about it
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6764
First, and most obviously, make sure joystick is calibrated.  Do this in Windows>Control Panel, as well as in BFHQ.
Second, are you cutting your throttle?  Ease back on the stick to bring the nose level, and cut your throttle to half, or as low as 33%.

I disagree with many above posters, I think hovering is essential.  You need to hover for repairs on a pad or box (if you land, you are even MORE of a sitting duck (can't move) and also SpecOps can now kill you).  And you need to hover to set up your gunners.

Single player practice: Attack chopper spawns on Zatar at Centre Island.  Cap it, then fly back to your main for practice.  Operation Clean Sweep, BH spawns at USA main.  At first, "teammates" will fly away with it, but if you do not get in, and just stand around at pad, they will soon die and BH will respawn.  (Note: The enemy AA stingers & vehicles are WAY better in single player than online play, so don't engage the enemy at first or you will get killed.)
R3v4n
+433|6497|Melbourne

Yeah bots are real good with AA they get instant locks. try not to hover in the one spot for to long though or your asking for a SAW to be shot at you,  learn to side strafe (sliding in one direction with out going backward or forward), this can set up some nice TV's for your gunner IMO.  and never get repairs off the runway, a jet will ram into most likely friendly and if there are two Helli spawn points in your base go for the one the transport shopper came from so your not an arty magnet.

Last edited by R3v4n (2006-08-24 20:52:25)

~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6504|N. Ireland
mouse and keyboard ain't realistic. I use a yoke now for flying planes. Waay leeter.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6531|Austin, Texas

leetkyle wrote:

mouse and keyboard ain't realistic. I use a yoke now for flying planes. Waay leeter.
I completely disagree.

I use keyboard only and have no problem pulling any manuever, hovering is actually extremely easy. Try it out.
R3v4n
+433|6497|Melbourne

MadKatter wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

I completely disagree.

I use keyboard only and have no problem pulling any manuever, hovering is actually extremely easy. Try it out.
But you cant fly at 50% thottle can you?
RedheadedBastard
It's not just a clever name
+7|6570|USA
I don't know whether this has been addressed or not but if it has let me reiterate I my self learned this way. Make a server and play in it alone practicing until you get good, don't put us good gunners or pilots that ended up gunners via seating misplacement to your retardation. There is nothing that pisses me off more than an gimp of a pilot. Please have the respect to take the time to practice, and also practice gunning in the single player game. If you suck lol get over it and ground pound.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard