• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Getting a new PC, advice/comments would be appreciated
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida
Hey, gettin a new PC very, very soon, and I'm pretty sure on what I'm going to get. 

Alienware Area 51 7500

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB Cache 1066MHz FSB 
650 Watt Alienware® Multi-GPU Approved 
Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI Motherboard 
1GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 512MB
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ 8MB Cache
16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive 
1024MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7950 GX2L 
Alienware Approved 17" 12ms Flat Panel - Black 
High Performance 7.1 Audio - Standard 
Alienware® USB Full-Size Keyboard 
Alienware® Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel 

link : http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_P … KU-DEFAULT

I'm new to really fast PCs, I know it will run BF2 pretty well, but exactly how well do you think it will?  I'd really appreciate any other comments, advice, suggestions, etc. 

Thank you for your time
MECtallica
+73|6474|jalalabad
alienware=dell

you need 2gb RAM

Last edited by MECtallica (2006-08-23 15:09:09)

Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

yes, increase ram.

how much is that rig gunna cost ya? 3 grand? 4 maybe?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
2, actually, at the moment.  Any extra stuff I'm going to add will be from Xmas/B-day money
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6435|Melbourne - Home of Football
ROFL @ the screen, 12ms isn't good enough for gaming, you need 8ms or lower, my Viewsonic VX922 ois 2ms, and it's 19". Upgrade that, or better yet, build the whole thing from parts yourself, you'll enjoy it more when you're done, and you won't be paying for the alienware "brand".
NasmNLH
+6|6619
Spearhead,

Spearhead wrote:

1GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 512MB
I strongly suggest more RAM.  I probably wouldn't build a computer with less than 2GB these days. 

Spearhead wrote:

Alienware Approved 17" 12ms Flat Panel - Black
A display with a faster refresh rate would perform better, especially for gaming.  I can't comment from experience, but the impression that I get is 12ms could be a little long for serious gaming. 

Spearhead wrote:

I'm new to really fast PCs, I know it will run BF2 pretty well, but exactly how well do you think it will?  I'd really appreciate any other comments, advice, suggestions, etc. 

Thank you for your time
I'm sure that configuration would run very well.  The most important thing I would change is to add more RAM to the configuration if you can afford it.  I'm sure you will be pleased with your new machine.  Assuming your budget is not unlimited that would be a reasonable system.
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
wow everyone is getting an alienware how interesting
Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6727
a second suggestion would be to go up to the e6600 conroe with 4mb cache.

also, to compare, go to ibuypower.com and plug in similar specs on their custom machines to get a price comparrison. I am sure you could get some more for the same $$. Not to criticize, but alienware isn't known for being cheap.
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6524|SoCal
two things, 2gig would be better but not necessarily a must and consider cost vs gain and see if 2 512MB video cards in sli may give you all the power you could want with a better overall cost, heck even 2 256MB should be considered cause I guarantee that 1gig video will be allot cheaper in just 6mos and upgrading is a option later when the price is more to your favor. If you are at all comfortable in putting together your own system you will save possibly as much as 50% of the cost from alienware by doing it yourself. Other than that possibly waiting till November or so when the latest goodies from all the manufacturers get released in time for the Xmas rush.

Also I don't know if you have considered 3d glasses but if so then you'll to drop the monitor for a CRT based one cause they will not work on the one your looking at now. The only thing I dislike on mine is that I cannot wear them much more than an hour  to an hour & 1/2 before it begins to mess with you but sure is a blast watching peoples faces the first time they see what it looks like though 8) that never gets old lol
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
thanks,
Hooten-Delta
+2|6470
All that sweet hardware and you are gonna play on a 17" monitor?

Dude, get 20" at the very least, they are so cheap nowadays. Might want to spend the extra $150 for the Samsung 204b, I have it and it rocks for gaming. Not the greatest view angle but I'm mostly sitting right in front of it anyway.

P.S. Alienware cases are some ugly mofo shit.

Last edited by Hooten-Delta (2006-08-25 01:12:16)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

MECtallica wrote:

alienware=dell
No not quite.

Separate entities. Owned by Dell does not mean it's the same.

Alienware will maintain its own product development, marketing, sales, technical support and other operations as well as brand. The current management and founders of Alienware will continue to operate the company as a wholly owned subsidiary of Dell.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

Spearhead wrote:

2, actually, at the moment.  Any extra stuff I'm going to add will be from Xmas/B-day money
2,000 US, so like 3,500 Canadian.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6689|Las Vegas
Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI Motherboard

No way in hell I would pull the trigger without knowing EXACTLY what mobo they are gonna chuck in there.....
ssonrats
+221|6615
Alienware aren't bad performance wise, but you pay shit loads for stuff you don't need and they are way overpriced.

Build your own!

Last edited by ssonrats (2006-09-12 16:29:56)

rustynutz
I am British!
+124|6653|England and damn proud
Tbh i would get the ati 1900xtx which i believe is direct x10.

I may be wrong though
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6814|Waikato, Aotearoa
Drop the 7950 and get 2x7900GT SLi
2GB RAM
and a better monitor. A 17'' 12ms LCD screen is crap. A 19" 8ms LCD screen is better (like what I have).

And RustyNuts you ARE wrong. To my knowledge DX10 video cards are yet to be released. Probably still in development
dstock9
+13|6575

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

And RustyNuts you ARE wrong. To my knowledge DX10 video cards are yet to be released. Probably still in development
Last I saw, Jan. '07
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6814|Waikato, Aotearoa
I also had a look @ microsoft.com for min/med specs for Vista and wadda ya know - DX10 isnt even mentioned...
Ironsteed
Fuck Shoes
+18|6441|North of Dallas
A lot of good advice.  I upped to 2 GB memory recently and it was awesome, best improvement in game I have experienced.  I would suggest you spend a little more as well for a 19" 8ms or less lcd.  It would be hard for me to purchase a mobo without knowing exactly what make and model as well.  If you are a serious gamer you probably won't be happy with that mouse either.  You want LASER, not optical.  Might I recommend Logitech, any of there laser gaming mice will work, just pick out the one with the feel and button configuration that works best for you.  I actually prefer the older MX400 myself.  ($40 at Fry's).
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6726|Hell, p.o box 666

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

Drop the 7950 and get 2x7900GT SLi
2GB RAM
and a better monitor. A 17'' 12ms LCD screen is crap. A 19" 8ms LCD screen is better (like what I have).

Well, a single 7950GX2 1024MB is a little faster than 2x 7900GT SLi, so I would stick to this card, although I think a single 7900GTX 512 is the best choice. No need for SLI tbh.

2048 MB RAM is a must for high settings. If you run one of the above mentioned cards and only got 1024 MB RAM your loading times will sucks, go shave yourself while loading a BF2 map.

Hm, a 17" monitor for those components with 12ms, errrrrrrrrrrrrr nope! Go for 19" or 20" with at least 8ms. The monitor in the Alienware offer sucks tbh.

Just remember, Alienware is damn expensive, you can build the same rig with better performance by yourself way cheaper. But this is your choice.

RustyNuts, your are wrong. Atm there are no DX10 cards aviable. Those are still in development and will be release 1 st quarter 07!!! *rumors*
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
custom pc. nforce 4 sucks at oc... so scrap that. get gigabyte p965 mobos
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6568|Cheshire. UK
I do hope you plan to overclock that......the E6400 is a dream to OC .... even on Air...Just up the FSB and away you go ..lol

Last edited by joker3327 (2006-09-13 02:57:12)

• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Getting a new PC, advice/comments would be appreciated

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard