Freemasons/New World Order1%1% - 1
Operates 'undemocratically'7%7% - 4
One man band1%1% - 1
Mostly good15%15% - 8
Mildly good5%5% - 3
Total: 53
GATOR591957
+84|6650
Us here, if he's so bad how has he made it through so many "no confidence" votes.  Our President is nothing to write home about, but I view Blair in a much better light.  I've seen where he's disagreed with Bush, he just doesn't make a big deal out of it.  He voices his opinion and moves on.  I'd take him in a heartbeat over Bush.
Meiktila
+3|6670|UK

GATOR591957 wrote:

Us here, if he's so bad how has he made it through so many "no confidence" votes.
The reason Blair's lasted this long is due to the disproportionality of our electoral system (at least for the House of Commons) - it all matters how many seats a party has, not necessarily how many votes. To give you an idea, last year Labour won 55% if seats in the Commons for only little over 35% of the vote. Even then, low turnout (c.60%) meant that only around 1 in 5 adults actually voted for the government! Hope that answers your question

Anyhow, I reckon 'delusional', what with Blair seeking this so-called Third Way which has put us in far more of a mess than just about any other political path I care to imagine!
GATOR591957
+84|6650

Meiktila wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

Us here, if he's so bad how has he made it through so many "no confidence" votes.
The reason Blair's lasted this long is due to the disproportionality of our electoral system (at least for the House of Commons) - it all matters how many seats a party has, not necessarily how many votes. To give you an idea, last year Labour won 55% if seats in the Commons for only little over 35% of the vote. Even then, low turnout (c.60%) meant that only around 1 in 5 adults actually voted for the government! Hope that answers your question

Anyhow, I reckon 'delusional', what with Blair seeking this so-called Third Way which has put us in far more of a mess than just about any other political path I care to imagine!
Sounds all too familiar.  Voter turnout here in the US is dismal as well.  Then everyone complains after the fact.
crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6678|Teesside, UK

GATOR591957 wrote:

I've seen where he's disagreed with Bush, he just doesn't make a big deal out of it.  He voices his opinion and moves on.
Unfortunately when it come to his own polices  he's not that much of a push over.  He keeps going on an on even if most of his own party don't support it. 

Years ago when he couldn't get top up fees introduced he blatantly had meetings with various members of Parliament and uni staff and bullied and bribed them all to vote for him. The uni I'm at was always opposed to top up fees but just before the vote radically changed position, why?  So that Tony Blair would come and official open the new health building.  I have no respect for someone who can only get his policies implemented through back handers.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6790|UK

crimson_grunt wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

I've seen where he's disagreed with Bush, he just doesn't make a big deal out of it.  He voices his opinion and moves on.
Unfortunately when it come to his own polices  he's not that much of a push over.  He keeps going on an on even if most of his own party don't support it. 

Years ago when he couldn't get top up fees introduced he blatantly had meetings with various members of Parliament and uni staff and bullied and bribed them all to vote for him. The uni I'm at was always opposed to top up fees but just before the vote radically changed position, why?  So that Tony Blair would come and official open the new health building.  I have no respect for someone who can only get his policies implemented through back handers.
Mate as bad as it is i wouldnt start accusing Blair of bribing people, also i dont see why it bothers you they only apply to people that join this year and onwards, ie me! We get an interest free loan that we dont have to pay back until we earn 15 grand a year at like a rate of 5 quid a month going up depending on how much you earn.
[JUK]semerkhet
+3|6655
bad points: Spends too much time worrying about the rest of the word and not enough about britian, unless its home security, when he goes over the top a bit.  Sidekick gordon won't get rid of Inheritence tax, so now anyone whos got more than £285k when they die have got to pay it (i.e anyone with a house).  Tony does seem to act too much like an assistant to GWB, especially when he's asking if he's allowed to help with the recent isreal/lebenon problems.  Other bad points with the govenment at the mo would apply to anyone in power so they're not really relevant now.

Good points (yes, there are a few):  Min wage, introduced under current government, means threshers can't pay peanuts any more.  Tax credits, more confusing than a greyscaled rubix cube, but does mean we can work AND support our kids, not just one or the other (although it doesn't stop teenage girls getting themselves knocked up knowing full well they get themselves a free council flat and everything paid for them). 

im sure theres another.....erm.....
crimson_grunt
+214|6678|Teesside, UK

Vilham wrote:

Mate as bad as it is i wouldnt start accusing Blair of bribing people
Why not it wasn't even like he hid what he was doing, was plain to see all over the news.

Vilham wrote:

We get an interest free loan that we dont have to pay back until we earn 15 grand a year at like a rate of 5 quid a month going up depending on how much you earn.
Just cause I'm not having to pay top up fees doesn't mean i shouldn't care about it.  I don't drive but does that mean I shouldn't be interested in the whole biofuel/oil debate?  I don't live in the middle east so should i not care about what happens there?

I'll be coming out of uni with about 16k-18k worth of debt which is Not interest free, admittedly it is supposedly a low interest rate.  So anyone starting now and following a similar path will not only have that to pay back, they'll also have to pay anything up to 15k in top up fees depending on where they study.  I find that appalling and it makes you see why the governments wants 50% of the country in education.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6651|IRELAND

Student loans were sited as the main reason for the last hike in interest rates. Hence I pay nearly a grand more a year on my mortgage   Bloody students    I went through the education system at the end of the Torrie's start of Labor times and walked out with no debt and never payed any fee's for my education. (Except travel to college everything was free)

Blair has drove his country into massive dept, both individual and as a country. I think him and Brown kept themselves in power so long with this great economy. Now the reality of that is coming out. The debt caused to fuel such an economy.
Now brown is taking over. I think this is wrong as he was never elected to run the country. I don't trust him. He does a weired thing with his mouth when he's talking, like a snake tasting the air. Look out for it next time you see him on the TV. Pure evil.
crimson_grunt
+214|6678|Teesside, UK

JahManRed wrote:

don't trust him. He does a weired thing with his mouth when he's talking, like a snake tasting the air. Look out for it next time you see him on the TV. Pure evil.
Rory Bremmner does an excellent impression of that. He manages to make it look smug.
Sea_JayUK
+19|6547|Notts
Most of the options are merely points of view and not actual assessments, the Blair administration has done alot for our country however does work undemocratically (against public opinion). This is however to be expected, the democratic part of our society only really counts for the election, we hold elections to choose the 'best' candidate to make these decisions FOR us. We as a country cannot make such decisions due to the fact that opinions are so diverse.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard