Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

This is what I want right now:

Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor around 3.0GHz
1GB or 1.5GB of RAM
NVidia GeForce 7800GT

I don't know anything about motherboards or any of the other stuff. What else should I add to this? My budget is about $1,400, so don't suggest things that are very expensive.
tvmissleman
The Cereal Killer
+201|6650| United States of America
im gonna build a new compy w/ a ATI Radeon x1900xtx Vid. card and a bunch of good stuff............now i just need $1200
a fly
+105|6636|The netherlands

ryan_14 wrote:

This is what I want right now:

Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor around 3.0GHz
1GB or 1.5GB of RAM
NVidia GeForce 7800GT

I don't know anything about motherboards or any of the other stuff. What else should I add to this? My budget is about $1,400, so don't suggest things that are very expensive.
dont go for 1gb or 1.5, get 2gb, its not much more expensive. and almost a must for most games (if you use windows xp: windows does not allow a task to take more then 2gb ram, so having much more will be pointless )
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6559|NYC / Hamburg

even though i repeat myself:
c2d e6600,
gigabyte 6-quad thing 965 chipset,
2 gigs of low latency ddr2-800,
a 7600gt, 7900gt, 7900gtx, 1900gt or 1900xt
a nice 7200 RPM SATA HD
assorted goodies
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Ryan

ok i'll try and get 2GB ram

oh and what size of hard drive should i get? 200?

Last edited by ryan_14 (2006-08-20 12:45:44)

a fly
+105|6636|The netherlands

ryan_14 wrote:

ok i'll try and get 2GB ram

oh and what size of hard drive should i get? 200?
i recomment getting 1 fast drive (or 2 or more in raid 0) for the OS and games, and 1 drive for things like movies, msn, virus scanners, backup everything, that drive must be big. the one for os and games inpents on how many games you want to have on the fast disk. old games (bfv and older) can be on the large slower disk if you run out of space
Ryan

Well right now, on this computer, i have 4 drives. one is the OS, one is cd-rw, one is dvd-rom, and one is floppy.

so this is a noobish question. On my new computer, id have one for my OS, one cd-rw drive, one cd-rom or dvd-rom right?

everything on my computer right now is on my OS drive (C

so when i get a new computer, id have one that just runs the OS, and then another drive for everything i have on my computer? i'm kinda confused.
max
Vela Incident

ryan_14 wrote:

Well right now, on this computer, i have 4 drives. one is the OS, one is cd-rw, one is dvd-rom, and one is floppy.

so this is a noobish question. On my new computer, id have one for my OS, one cd-rw drive, one cd-rom or dvd-rom right?

everything on my computer right now is on my OS drive (C

so when i get a new computer, id have one that just runs the OS, and then another drive for everything i have on my computer? i'm kinda confused.
for the new pc you could get 1 HD for OS + Progs + Games and if you want another HD for backup and just one DVD-RW. you dont need more than 1 dvd drive really and floppys are only used very seldomly (a usb one will do)
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6522|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
i wouldn't get a conroe yet, the mobo's have little bugs in them
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6485|N. Ireland
Don't get the x1900 yet, the x1950 is coming out soon and the x1900 will go down A LOT.
Ryan

Ok so....

Where is my OS hard drive? Is that in my computer?

If so, my new computer would have this:

A Rom drive, a cd burner drive (a maybe a floppy, if the computer comes with it) and then a large hardrive for my OS? Right now, i have so much junk on my computer, I don't know what is in my OS drive, except for windows XP, and a bunch of other stuff that i need to run my computer. Otherwise, i just install my games and they end up on my desktop.

I'll have to ask the tech guys as the store i'm buy my computer from all this stuff lol.
max
Vela Incident

you dont need more than 1 optical drive. if you buy a DVD+/-RW it can read/write DVDs and read/write CDs. 1 hard dive is usually enough. on this you have all your data; OS(=windows), programs, games and files. you can always add a second later if you need more storage

Last edited by max (2006-08-21 09:20:01)

Adonlude
+2|6771

max wrote:

even though i repeat myself:
c2d e6600,
gigabyte 6-quad thing 965 chipset,
2 gigs of low latency ddr2-800,
a 7600gt, 7900gt, 7900gtx, 1900gt or 1900xt
a nice 7200 RPM SATA HD
assorted goodies
This might be a little over his budget. I would recommend droping down to the Core 2 Duo E6300 which should save you $250 while still getting your foot in Conroe's door (you can upgrade later). 7900GT is best bang for the buck presently, go for that. 2 gigs ram is affordable now so you should grab 2x1gig sticks and have your other 2 slots for another 2 gigs later.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard