Poll

Should Turkey be allowed to become a member of the EU?

Yes26%26% - 27
No36%36% - 38
You have got to be kidding18%18% - 19
Go Fuck Yourself18%18% - 19
Total: 103
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6511|England
I'm not racist but i will get my opinion out..

I live in sheffield in south yorkshire (uk) and i have to say theres so many muslims here its like i live in iraq.

I have no problem with diffrent cutures and people but when you feel like your being drowned by immigrants from other countrys comming to yours and claiming money and care on that system i pay my taxes for i feel like " Get the hell back to your own country and stop scronging off mine " - may sound a little harsh but its the way i feel.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6581

Rosse_modest wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Rosse_modest wrote:

10%, does that comprise all immigrants or just the countries you're listing?
That's immigrants in the Republic of Ireland only. We are only a nation of 4 million so an immigration influx has a bigger impact on us.
I meant to ask what is the total percentage of immigrants in Ireland's population? And how extensive is your government's support of these immigrants (in what extent are they allowed to benefit from your social security system)?
Total percentage is about 10% - all the EU accession immigrants are entitled to the same benefits a French, Belgian, Spanish, etc. person would be entitled to if they moved country within the EU. They all seem to be hard working though and there is little abuse of our benefit system.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6797|PNW

Turkey is one of the nations of the Easterlings, and under the iron thumb (so to speak) of Sauron.
eatmywheaties
+2|6784

Bertster7 wrote:

The cultural and religious differences are irrelevant. It's a GOOD thing to have diversity within these groups. Religion should have nothing to do with politics ever.
you're exactly right.

it's a shame things don't work out like this though.
xXSarnathXx
Decepticons forever!
+25|6634|Sweden
ofcourse Turkey should be able to join, not now, not next year. but when they are clean let them in. the reason beeing Europe is getting to much of a fortress now i think we need a islamic country to get some diveristy and im sure they will have ideas on how things should be done that we regular westerners hasnt thought of. i think its a good idea in 20 or 30 years, not now tho.
beerface702
+65|6719|las vegas
NO

they are still part of the OIC and should just stay with NATO

Turkey is a shit hole anyway. i've been there on leave once
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6545|Πάϊ
Turkey has invaded and illegally holds the northern part of Cyprus. Despite all efforts for a fair solution by the members of the EU, they refuse to cease the occupation.

Turkey is at the moment a military state, as the generals play a major role, forming the government's decisions.

The human rights are being seriously violated, with thousands of political prisoners etc. Not to mention the rights of women...

Turkey, ever since the glory days of the Ottoman Empire has had an offensive expansive policy. They are continuously seeking to acquire new land by creating several international incidents with Greece in the Aegean Sea (the Imia incident for example, when Turkey claimed to own a little island belonging to Greece), and with the Kurds in the east, with whom they are virtually at war since they ruled the Kurdish political party out of the parliament as illegal.

The good thing about Turkey joining the EU is that it is a vast new market of unlimited potential. A lot of money is to be made - for some at least.

Yet the fact remains that the Turkish society and way of life differs greatly from the European standards, and seeing how the Turks have failed or refused to blend in with the German society - where they hold the greatest numbers at the moment, it becomes clear that the immigration problem is going to implicate things immensely. It may even grant the exploitation of the Turkish potential impossible for the EU, and that's why the joining process will take so long.

And last but not least, everyone knows that the Turkish government is totally controlled by the USA. Surely the latter will want Turkey to join the EU so they can have yet another ally ready to boycott any decision deemed against their interests.
ƒ³
ghettoperson
+1,943|6675

I don't think they should be allowed to join, for pretty much all the reasons posted. They don't respect human rights, and even if they did start, they should be doing it because its the right thing to do, not because they can't join the EU if they don't. If they are allowed to join because they haven't tortured a few people for a while, you can pretty much guaruntee that they'll go right back to it as soon as they're in. It's not like they're going to kick them out of the EU or something. They're also not really even in Europe.

I  fully support the Russia idea though, that would rock!
Jihub
+2|6571
Of corse not
Meiktila
+3|6672|UK
No. I don't so much have a problem with Turkey's religious and cultural background - I do, however, have a problem with their continued detention of various authors and journalists who so much as mention the genocide of Armenians in 1915, on the dubious grounds of 'insulting Turkey'. In addition to this lack of press freedom (Reporters without Borders ranked Turkey 98th globally last year for press freedom), I am also concerned that vast sums of money would flow into Turkey before it would bring any tangible benefits to the rest of the EU, considering how large and poor it is.

Last edited by Meiktila (2006-08-21 16:33:36)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard