-=1stInF.|Slappey
+3|6746

Homeschtar wrote:

"OK Dad, I think we're set for deer hunting! We got the F2000, the AK-101, and the M16!"

"Don't forget the M203 son!"

"Oops! Just a sec, I'll go get it!"
Oh stop yourself. Nobody uses the M203 for deer hunting, you use it for Turkey hunting.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829

Kung Jew wrote:

The thought of using more than 3 bullets to take down your prey seems alittle like overkill.  Although it might satisfy some fist-clenching adrenaline urge, hunting with full auto is (in my opinion) not necessary.
I've been a hunter since I was young.  I've retired my rifle (30-30) and become a stalk-and-kill bowhunter.
You Really have to read. Most if not all states ( my state ) have magazine limints for hunting. 5,4,3 rounds etc. Even if you brought an AK look alike. You would need to have a 4 rnd mag in it. It would have less punch than a
30-30. You would be giving the game an Advantage.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829

Tigg@lot wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

An Assault Rifle is not for Sale here in the U.S.A.
But machineguns and MPs are.
But carrying an MG42 into the forrest just to give an animal a lead filling would be pretty insane (but a lot of fun ^^)
Try Buying any of those Weapons. If your name isn't Ted Kennedy you would be wasting your time.

I only have a pistol permit Becuase my mom was a Judge. This is pretty typical of the hipocracy and eliteism that takes place in NYC
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6766|NRW,Germany

Horseman 77 wrote:

Tigg@lot wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

An Assault Rifle is not for Sale here in the U.S.A.
But machineguns and MPs are.
But carrying an MG42 into the forrest just to give an animal a lead filling would be pretty insane (but a lot of fun ^^)
Try Buying any of those Weapons. If your name isn't Ted Kennedy you would be wasting your time.

I only have a pistol permit Becuase my mom was a Judge. This is pretty typical of the hipocracy and eliteism that takes place in NYC
I get my infos about stuff like this from homepages (like this), forums (too many to list em ^^)and videos (like this) so I often just scratch the surface and donĀ“t know about the requirements.
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6830

-=1stInF.|Slappey wrote:

Homeschtar wrote:

"OK Dad, I think we're set for deer hunting! We got the F2000, the AK-101, and the M16!"

"Don't forget the M203 son!"

"Oops! Just a sec, I'll go get it!"
Oh stop yourself. Nobody uses the M203 for deer hunting, you use it for Turkey hunting.
You just about need a 203 to take down a turkey.  Who'd of thought those God forsaken birds would be so damn tough and mean.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6836|Bryan/College Station, TX

Kung Jew wrote:

Thanks, and a Whoop! to you sir.  What year?
(I spent my time in CS in the training/expansion division of Freebird's, 5 1/2 year's)
Whoop! Gig'em Aggies. Fighting Class of '97
I've been here since 1993 when I started college and have been here ever since. I work for Texas A&M in the CIS Dept babysitting networks and mainframe jobs. And I'm still expanding thanks to Freebirds and Wings 'N More.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6737|Houston, TX

Horseman 77 wrote:

Kung Jew wrote:

The thought of using more than 3 bullets to take down your prey seems alittle like overkill.  Although it might satisfy some fist-clenching adrenaline urge, hunting with full auto is (in my opinion) not necessary.
I've been a hunter since I was young.  I've retired my rifle (30-30) and become a stalk-and-kill bowhunter.
You Really have to read. Most if not all states ( my state ) have magazine limints for hunting. 5,4,3 rounds etc. Even if you brought an AK look alike. You would need to have a 4 rnd mag in it. It would have less punch than a
30-30. You would be giving the game an Advantage.
I prefer to use only one bullet when using a rifle. Now my preference lies in a carbon stick, 32inch draw length, with a nice sharp pointy end for effect. 
The whole idea of my post was to say that using more than one piece of metal within 3 seconds to kill your prey seemed unecessary. I believe it "un-hunterlike"
SodaBob
+-1|6835|Indiana, US
You can legally own full auto rifles, short (less than 18" barrel) shotguns, and other "assault" weapons here in the US, but only if your state allows it (Kentucky and Indiana, for examples), you pay a $200 (last I heard) tax, and your purchase is registered with the BATF(E), and perhaps some other hoops to jump through.  I think the weapons are also all used, as I think you cannot buy a new weapon of these sorts, they must already be in "circulation", and I believe it must be legally obtained through a dealer.  Such weapons are also quite expensive.  But the fact of the matter is that I could as an Indiana resident go today and buy a full auto weapon (though with the hoops you have to jump through, there's a built in "waiting period", as I understand).

As a case in point, there is a popular and very large, multi-day machine gun shoot in Kentucky every year at Knob Creek gun range, run by civilians who bring their personal, often very large caliber, machine guns.  I've never been, but the shoot is open to the public for a entrance fee.

Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot

As for hunting with a full auto gun, that would be rediculous, unless you're a jerk or a poacher (such as in Africa, where poachers hunt elephants with AK-47's... and conservation officers hunt poachers with AK-47's...).  It's also highly illegal here in the States to hunt with such a weapon, even where such weapons are legal to own.

On the other hand, a semi-auto "assault rifle" such as a AK-47 clone or an SKS (remember them in BF Vietnam?) are great short-range deer rifles, and are functionally no different than a semi-auto "hunting rifle", it just looks "scary".  I harvested my second deer with one shot using a MAK-90 (a semi-auto AK-47 clone).  Note, however, that even with semi-auto firearms there are typically magazine (aka "clip") limits;  for example, most states have a rule for hunting such as "the magazine may hold only 5 rounds."

As for taking multiple shots to take down a deer, there are many variables - including your skill with a rifle, the deer jumping just as you shoot, sudden wind gusts, a particularly strong deer, etc - that would cause you to have to take more than just one shot.  In other words, if your first shot only wounds the deer (and it is therefore suffering, or injured enough that it will die but take days doing so), a follow up shot or shots may be required to make the kill humane.
Gotham
+3|6725

Horseman 77 wrote:

the 7.62x 39 ( AK 47 ) is marginal at best.

No I do not hunt.
Its not suprising that you do not hunt and you make a statement that the 7.62X39 is a marginal deer round.

The 7.62X39 round that most commonly is fired from a SKS is a very effective deer round if used under 100 yards. It has roughly the same power as a 30/30 and the 30/30 has probably killed the biggest percentage of deer and medium sized game in the US over the past 100 years.

When I still had my sks my first 10 deer were one shot kills.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829
Marginal I feel is an Acurate term to describe the Rus. 7.62 X 39 as a Deer Cartridge. Though ballisticly the Same a 30.30 is almost allways in a lever action is and must be a Blunt faced cartridge. So even though they have simalar trajectories/ballistics the 30.30 has a lot more knock down punch to it, Right ?

the 7.62 X 39 will not feed in this Configuration. It almost allways uses a spitzer point. Please do not put spitzer point cartridges into a lever action 30.30 no matter how much   Blue Cross   you have.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829

SodaBob wrote:

You can legally own full auto rifles, short (less than 18" barrel) shotguns, and other "assault" weapons here in the US, but only if your state allows it (Kentucky and Indiana, for examples), you pay a $200 (last I heard) tax, and your purchase is registered with the BATF(E), and perhaps some other hoops to jump through.  I think the weapons are also all used, as I think you cannot buy a new weapon of these sorts, they must already be in "circulation", and I believe it must be legally obtained through a dealer.  Such weapons are also quite expensive.  But the fact of the matter is that I could as an Indiana resident go today and buy a full auto weapon (though with the hoops you have to jump through, there's a built in "waiting period", as I understand).

As a case in point, there is a popular and very large, multi-day machine gun shoot in Kentucky every year at Knob Creek gun range, run by civilians who bring their personal, often very large caliber, machine guns.  I've never been, but the shoot is open to the public for a entrance fee.

Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot

As for hunting with a full auto gun, that would be rediculous, unless you're a jerk or a poacher (such as in Africa, where poachers hunt elephants with AK-47's... and conservation officers hunt poachers with AK-47's...).  It's also highly illegal here in the States to hunt with such a weapon, even where such weapons are legal to own.

On the other hand, a semi-auto "assault rifle" such as a AK-47 clone or an SKS (remember them in BF Vietnam?) are great short-range deer rifles, and are functionally no different than a semi-auto "hunting rifle", it just looks "scary".  I harvested my second deer with one shot using a MAK-90 (a semi-auto AK-47 clone).  Note, however, that even with semi-auto firearms there are typically magazine (aka "clip") limits;  for example, most states have a rule for hunting such as "the magazine may hold only 5 rounds."

As for taking multiple shots to take down a deer, there are many variables - including your skill with a rifle, the deer jumping just as you shoot, sudden wind gusts, a particularly strong deer, etc - that would cause you to have to take more than just one shot.  In other words, if your first shot only wounds the deer (and it is therefore suffering, or injured enough that it will die but take days doing so), a follow up shot or shots may be required to make the kill humane.
Here Here, this guy knows his shit!
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6745
And with the 1994 Assualt Weapons Ban (AWB), it took 2 characterics to call a weapon an assault weapon, if it had a bayonet lug and a pistol grip, it was considered an assault weapon.

All weapons were grandfathered in, basically if you already had one with such stuff, it was A - OK. But you could not buy a new one, or I don't think modify one with characteristics.

My favorite is the banning of grenade launchers in the AWB. Yes, they banned grenade launchers, even though to my knowledge nobody ever used a grenade from a launcher EVER in a crime, and the fact that grenades are considered destructive devices and are HIGHLY regulated by BATF, it would be incredibly stupid to use one in any crime whatsoever.

And you can own a machine gun, and various other weapons, but as SodaBob states, there is a bunch of paperwork, and typically people with such things LOCK their weapons up, usually in some sort of safe.  And last I checked, there has not been one single crime commited with any of the full-auto weapon that you fill the paperwork and pay the fees for. Nobody spends a couple thousand dollars just to get a weapon to just go kill people with.

Because frankly you can go buy a Saturday Night Special, a handgun costing less then $100-$200, and go shoot whoever you want with a couple of magazines. And statistics show that these guns, and guns used in crimes, more often than not, are bought with informal and illegal channels, there is no "waiting period" for these channels.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829
Satuday Night special? if there were Really guns out there for less than 200 bucks ( $25 if you listen to Hillary ) I think I would have picked one up.

The Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot? out of the Entire Country there are about 200 Very wealthy men who Own Fullautos show up and shoot. I rather fancy none has ever perpatrated a crime.

Waiting Period? it took me a Year in New York and my mom was a judge so it was walked through the System like I was.... Well a  " Bush " Damit !
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6763|AUS, Canberra
IN AUS there is a 28 day "cooling off" period from the time you purchase a gun till you can pick it up, even for an air rifle!
i think its good but it can be frustrating as at times iv just wanted to go shoot my new gun so damn badly!
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6745

Horseman 77 wrote:

Satuday Night special? if there were Really guns out there for less than 200 bucks ( $25 if you listen to Hillary ) I think I would have picked one up.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt … m=40930792

There you go. Its a gun alright. I wouldn't say its a even a mediocre gun, but its a gun and it shoots.

Its a junk gun. But it could kill someone or make them bleed severely.

There is also guns that are stolen or sold through a fence. Since the gun is stolen, its worth can be quite diminished and since the person just wants to unload the gun(s) he has, he will sell it for cheap.

Edit: Never mind, I guess I was wrong. SNS does not seem to be preferred by criminals according to NRA stats...
I still stand by the fact that criminals that use guns probably are going to get a gun illegally and not go to the store to get one.

Last edited by freebirdpat (2005-11-30 20:57:11)

FeloniousMonk
+0|6727

Horseman 77 wrote:

The Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot? out of the Entire Country there are about 200 Very wealthy men who Own Fullautos show up and shoot. I rather fancy none has ever perpatrated a crime.

Waiting Period? it took me a Year in New York and my mom was a judge so it was walked through the System like I was.... Well a  " Bush " Damit !
Just because most don't know where to buy a $200 gun doesn't mean it's not possible. If I wanted a cheap stolen gun with the numbers half-assedly scratched off for that much it wouldn't be that hard to get one.

Also, money does not prevent someone from commiting a crime. The rich are just as depraved as everyone else.

Last edited by FeloniousMonk (2005-11-30 21:16:56)

[ar15]crazylarry
+0|6739
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/us … fa_faq.txt
every thing you never cared to know about owning a machine gun.
the prices range from about 3k to 400k, the popular guns are in the 8-15k range.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829

[ar15]crazylarry wrote:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt
every thing you never cared to know about owning a machine gun.
the prices range from about 3k to 400k, the popular guns are in the 8-15k range.
that must be those " Cheap Assault Rifles " billy n hilly protected me from
ericTheFrog
+1|6727
I would think some "Assault Rifles" would work pretty well for hunting. Take the WW2 M1 Garand, 30-06. Small clip.  (8 rounds?) Great balance, points more naturally than any other rifle I've used. Sites might need an upgrade, but it'd be a shame to mod a collector's item. Ammo, not sure if it would feed soft-nose bullets though.

~frog
Womansbikeseat
+0|6738
hunting for fun is for pussies, THE GAME DOESN'T EVEN KNOW ITS BEING HUNTED, wtf try hunting your buddies around and shoot yourselves in the ass. Next time your out there, sneak up on bambi and wrestle it to the ground and beat it to death or stab with a pocket knife, maybe then you'll feel like a complete man.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829

Womansbikeseat wrote:

hunting for fun is for pussies, THE GAME DOESN'T EVEN KNOW ITS BEING HUNTED, wtf try hunting your buddies around and shoot yourselves in the ass. Next time your out there, sneak up on bambi and wrestle it to the ground and beat it to death or stab with a pocket knife, maybe then you'll feel like a complete man.
Where I come from the Deer are evil and smug.
You know, the ones that used to laugh and call Rudolph names. 
I heard they wouldn't let him join in any Reindeer games.

these are the deer I hunt. they're Bastards !
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6763|AUS, Canberra

Womansbikeseat wrote:

well in Aus there is a huge culture of hunting wild pigs without guns.

granted most people use dogs, but alot of the time they are just to bail it up then you goto go in and wrestle the fucker and knife it.

the largest bore iv got was 165kg gutted. thats fucking huge!!!

they also have tusks up to 6 inches long ready to carve you up.....so no id say not for pussies.

Last edited by the_heart_attack (2005-12-07 14:05:33)

atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6764|Atlanta, GA USA
I found a Wiki article concerning owning fully automatic weapons in the US, specifically on the law regulating ownership:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act
All NFA items must be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE). Private owners wishing to purchase an NFA item must obtain permission from both the BATFE and the county sheriff or chief of police, pass an extensive background check to include submitting a photograph and finger prints, fully register the firearm, continually update the owner's address and location of the firearm, receive ATF written permission before moving the firearm across state lines, and pay a $200 transfer tax. This process takes approximately 4-6 months to complete. Additionally, the firearm can never be handled or transported by any other private individual unless the firearm's registered owner is present.

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2005-12-07 14:13:43)

Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6737|Houston, TX

the_heart_attack wrote:

the largest bore iv got was 165kg gutted. thats fucking huge!!!
What's that in lbs? 
My biggest was 278 lbs with an arrow, 302 lbs with a rifle. (Single shot for the thread's theme. Hunting with full auto is absurd!)

Last edited by Kung Jew (2005-12-07 14:24:35)

shspunkrockr
+0|6745

kessel! wrote:

why did you even bring this up? are you retarded?
i agree with this guy

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard