Poll

Which is the best Composer of all time?

Total: 0
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6698|Tampa Bay Florida
Can I vote for John Williams?

I think more people in the world know the Imperial March better than any of those orchestras

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-08-17 16:14:34)

j5f5ff
+11|6758
From simple little inventions to bone crushing fugues...  Bach.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

First off, what a great topic!  Out of all the music polls, this one is my favorite (even though you missed some great composers).

Topping off my list is Pyotr Tchaikovsky.  Favorite piece by him would have to be Marche Slave, followed by Eugene Onegin (great opera BTW).  How could you forget Dvorak?  New World Symphony is a classic.  Prokofiev is great as well, as is Ravel, Rachmaninoff, Wagner (Ride of the Valkyries is great), Mussorgsky, and Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody.

Just went to see a performance of Holst's planets by the Pacific Symphony Orchestra last saturday, it was great, accompanied with footage from NASA.  The Mars, Bringer of War piece was excellent. 

As a side note, I attribute my interest in Classical music to Looney Tunes cartoons I grew up on, kudos to the creators of that cartoon show for putting their shows to classical music.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2006-08-17 15:50:25)

Doliss
..I should be studying..
+5|6477|Sterling, VA
too hard to vote on the ones that you have listed, they all have good stuff.  but i'm disappointed that you don't have John Williams up there, he's got to be the best composer by a long shot in modern times.

Edit ..... just saw Spearhead asking for Williams as well, good call bro, i'd +1 ya but i don't have 10 posts yet

Last edited by Doliss (2006-08-17 16:07:24)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

I can't vote on this one. There are too many great composers among those, and too many others live and dead skipped out on by the OP.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-08-17 16:07:28)

|60|Cobalt
Terror in the Skies
+30|6760|Leipzig/Germany
well i guess nothing beats bach

but someone you forgot is sergej prokofjev - romeo & juliet is great

a very good composer of our time is hans zimmer
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6782|Noizyland

No Rachmaninoff? I'm shocked! He has the coolest name. And Bartok. Another cool name.
I like Saint-Seans, (spelling?) because he's neat.
I like Bach too because of the big sounds he uses, Organs and Cellos and stuff. Not fond of Mozart or Beethoven because they kind of do the opposite, (but Moonlight Sonata still rules.) Mozart does anyway.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Doliss
..I should be studying..
+5|6477|Sterling, VA

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

.....As a side note, I attribute my interest in Classical music to Looney Tunes cartoons I grew up on, kudos to the creators of that cartoon show for putting their shows to classical music.
Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries = Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd in "Kill The Wabbit!"

Got that whole cartoon as a vid clip saved on my comp...good stuff
JohnStamos1234
+0|6499
I gotta go with Chopin.  Love his polonaises.

Some others not on the list that I like:  Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Scott Joplin, Claude Debussy
=F=MrBrett
+0|6471
Would any of you reckon pop songwriters like McCartney or Dylan deserve a place in that list or is that a no-no? =]
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6702|Vancouver BC Canada
Only classical??
Doliss
..I should be studying..
+5|6477|Sterling, VA

=F=MrBrett wrote:

Would any of you reckon pop songwriters like McCartney or Dylan deserve a place in that list or is that a no-no? =]
i would say no, composing classical music really isn't the same as pop songs that Paul or Bob would have written.  Granted they are very good in their music writing abilities, i just think classical is completly different, many more instruments to write for and work together for an overall sound that the composer is looking for.

side note.... thought of another classical piece that most people would have heard first from the fellas at Looney Toons

Orpheus in the Underworld by Offenbach.  The last couple minutes of the song (it's got the can-can sound to it) is probably known by a lot from the cartoons
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

Tyferra wrote:

No Rachmaninoff? I'm shocked! He has the coolest name. And Bartok. Another cool name.
I like Saint-Seans, (spelling?) because he's neat.
I like Bach too because of the big sounds he uses, Organs and Cellos and stuff. Not fond of Mozart or Beethoven because they kind of do the opposite, (but Moonlight Sonata still rules.) Mozart does anyway.
Yeah, Saint-Seans (pronounced Say-Sawn) is awesome.  If you have never heard it, check out his "Carnival of Animals".  The spider part is the opening to Edward Scissorhands, and a great piece.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

After my null vote, I'd say that the ongoing results are probably based on how much these peoples' names are heard, and not what they wrote.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-08-17 16:49:10)

Stags
+26|6664
As far as pop songs go, Harrison was top stuff.

@unnamdenewbie13: That does seem true.

I nulled my vote because I couldn't choose between them, their compositions vary so much and each one has those songs that you just love.Khachaturian, he's not on the list and I love his work.  Then there is Baden Powell sure he's Classical Guitar but composing for guitar is hard and his work just awesome.

Yes, watching looney toons as a kid got me very interested in classical music.  Its also what made me go into music as a sideline to business (I want to run a music company, and some other things)  So, if I could I'd give 1 million karma to the creators of the Looney Toons.

Tchaikovsky is one of my favorites and if I did vote I would've probably picked him... just something about his composing that just makes me happy, even if it is his darker songs.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6702|San Francisco
Holy crap....this is a really hard one.  I chose Liszt because of some of his improvisation exploits, but in general, Beethoven and J.S. Bach rank the highest with me, followed my Rachmaninov and Telemann, then Chopin, Mozart, Saint-SaĆ«ns, Mahler, Stravinsky, Copland, and Rimsky-Korsakov.  Pachelbel and Khachaturian as well...
The_Mob_Returns
+72|6730|Indianapolis, IN
My favorite isn't there but I went Bach because he still has great music.

Gustav Mahler.  Tchaikovsky is also another favorite.

I own all of Mahler's works and by far his best is his 6th.  Funny thing is, I have been listening to all Mahler today and am currently on his 6th.

Edit:
Dang it, how could I forget Rimsky-korsakav.  He actually is better than Tchaikovsky and Bach.  Hmm, too many good ones to name just one.

Last edited by The_Mob_Returns (2006-08-17 19:40:44)

Aardcore
+60|6721|USA, Arizona
Null vote! Danny Elfman and Michael Kamen are neither in this vote!
Aardcore
+60|6721|USA, Arizona
Dude neither is Henry Mancini!
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6705
I like Chopin b/c of his melodramatic music along with the tricky fingering (we're talking piano here in my case). He's really the only compose I like, I mean I play Beethoven, Mozart, Bach and others but Chopin is really the only guy I enjoy.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6545|Long Island, New York
Tchaikovsky!!!

Marche Slave FTW!
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6557|Southeastern USA
I am quite partial to the "ring cycle", as well as just about any Russian composer, many of the Italian ones are too predictable, and I don't really care for the american/british pieces (too cacaphonic for me), and Bizet only seemed to have caught my attention with carmen. I went and voted Tchaikovsky for the range of emotion he would offer in a single piece. From child like fascinations to the stronger undercurrents of the more adult world of politics and romance, he offered it all. As well as a stirring understanding of the lower harmonics and melodies in general.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6557|Southeastern USA

Aardcore wrote:

Null vote! Danny Elfman and Michael Kamen are neither in this vote!
Elfman, Kamen, and John Williams seem to have become a new generation of "classic" composers
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command
I vote Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart.
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6653|Camoran's Paradise
I had to null vote.  Even though Mozart is my favorite classical, I'd vote for Nobuo Uematsu.  He created many of the Final Fantasy soundtracks amoung others.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard