Don't mind it22%22% - 28
Yes, because of terrorism.2%2% - 3
Yes, but it is not to do with terrorism9%9% - 12
I'll cope, put it that way.7%7% - 9
Total: 125
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6665|Colorado
no they are not winning, they are grasping for straws.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

TrollmeaT wrote:

no they are not winning, they are grasping for straws.
Actually I think they know exactly what they are doing. They got the whole world jumping through hoops, and did blow up a single plane.
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6750|Brixham, UK
Well, I don't fly much, but I guess the London underground bombings would have the same effect on people, so:

If I went to London, i'd still travel by the underground for one reason: I'm more likely to get run over walking to a place than be bombed. I think the same is sort of true with air travel - there's thousands of flights per day, so the chance of you being blown up are rather low.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6645
It's "YOU" and "KNOW".

As for answering the original question.. no, I'm not afraid, it's rediculous to be afraid of a terrorist attack when there's more chance that you're going to have a car accident on the way to the airfield.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

SargeV1.4 wrote:

It's "YOU" and "KNOW".

As for answering the original question.. no, I'm not afraid, it's rediculous to be afraid of a terrorist attack when there's more chance that you're going to have a car accident on the way to the airfield.
Yeah I agree, we should just ignore them and maybe they will go away.
Dersmikner
+147|6490|Texas
I said this before in another thread, probably drunk at the time, but even sober I'll repeat it: I'm flying on a cross-country trip very soon, and if I see more than 2 Arabs on the plane I'm not taking the flight.

Sorry if you're Arab, and that doesn't mean that one on one I wouldn't have a drink with you or them, but the risk/reward ratio isn't there for me if I see more than 2 Arabs on my plane. you don't leave your door unlocked at night, you don't flash your Rolex in Compton, and you don't walk around with money hanging out of your pockets. You play the odds. The odds might be 1 in 500 if there are 8 Arabs on my plane, or maybe 1 in 1,000,000, but that's 1 in one million more than I'm going to chance if there's an Arab-free plane an hour later.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida

Dersmikner wrote:

I said this before in another thread, probably drunk at the time, but even sober I'll repeat it: I'm flying on a cross-country trip very soon, and if I see more than 2 Arabs on the plane I'm not taking the flight.

Sorry if you're Arab, and that doesn't mean that one on one I wouldn't have a drink with you or them, but the risk/reward ratio isn't there for me if I see more than 2 Arabs on my plane. you don't leave your door unlocked at night, you don't flash your Rolex in Compton, and you don't walk around with money hanging out of your pockets. You play the odds. The odds might be 1 in 500 if there are 8 Arabs on my plane, or maybe 1 in 1,000,000, but that's 1 in one million more than I'm going to chance if there's an Arab-free plane an hour later.
I know, I usually stay away from cities because theirs a 1 in a million chance that I'll get robbed by a black person

/sarcasm
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6725|Oslo, Norway

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

long flights are an ass
just finished one, those flights are what makes people hate americans

GET YOUR FAT OF MY ARMREST
sniper09735
+12|6618
If the terrorist were mart they would just all buy up 1 plane and over throw it
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I'm in just as much risk of dying from being on a freeway as I am in a plane.
comet241
+164|6757|Normal, IL
im not a big fan of flying to be honest. i could care less about the terrorists, i just dont like not being in control. the thought that some mechanic that gets shitty pay can forget to tighten a screw all the way and I die because of it.... that's what i dont like. and i gotta fly out to vegas in november with my g/f and her family.... half tempted to try and convince her to drive out there.... funny, cause i would love to fly myself, but i dont trust anyone else that much......
Stags
+26|6648
That never bothered me.  You get paid to do your job and you do it well because we are honest about that.  Now, what is scary is flying in an old beater bush plane, that you have no clue how the pilot (who is also the mechanic) keeps it up.

But its your opinion, and driving is always a blast.  I just love traveling I suppose.
Dersmikner
+147|6490|Texas
Oh yeah, I'm a racist, a hick, and a coward because I want to fight back. That's right. The only right thing to do would be to let my friends and neighbors get killed because of an ideology, and not strike back at that ideology. Let's just keep saying "it's just a few of them". Let's just let them blow up Israel, wear burkas on their drivers' licenses, force us to live under Sharia law... what the hell...

Pussy ass liberals, or Muslims who think we "deserve" to get terrorized, like y'all are the reason that Planet Earth is going to end up Planet Allah before it's all said and done. Muslim extremists want ALL OF US to be Islamic or dead. Unfortunately the rest of them say "we're peaceful, we don't agree with that" but none of them do jack shit about the assholes living next door. If you know your neighbor is a terrorist and you don't do anything about it, you're a terrorist. Here's an idea, MAYBE if we grease a few hundred thousand Muslims every time some Jihadist motherfucker decides to blow up a building with a daycare in it, the rest of the Muslims will actually DO SOMETHING about terrorists.

So how about we try it your way. Dallas faces a rash of killings by Muslims, and we just smile at the Mosque on our way by... and by the way, the next time you're getting robbed, try to reason with the guy that he doesn't want to live like that. If your girlfriend is getting raped, explain to the rapist that he needs to seek other outlets for his frustration, but don't fight back.

Do you not get it that if we don't force the Muslims to police their own we're going to lose this deal? They're going to KEEP killing us. They don't want to control their own oil. They don't want to be able to worship in Iran or Syria or Lebanon in the way they choose. They don't want to do their thing and let us do ours. They want to run the rest of the world out of business in a permanent way. They want your kids and my kids rocking back and forth and humming "Allah be praised, death to the infidels."

Did any of you people see the demonstrations in Michigan? They held signs up that said "America is the terrorist nation" and "God bless Hezbollah". That's called supporting an enemy army, that's beyond freedom of speech, that's called treason. You support someone who's at war with us, you're at war with us. Everyone carrying one of those signs should have been arrested, tried, and punished according to the law.

Fuck all of that.

I would have been "all good" with them if they would have stayed over there and done their own thing, but they didn't.

So now my attitude is "if you don't want a Mosque blown up, don't blow up a church."

We ought to start blowing up Mosques full of innocent Muslims every time they blow up a church or a building here, or send a suicide bomber into a cafe at lunch, and soon enough the people who are getting bombed will start doing something about the rest of those lunatics.

AND BY THE WAY: If I were a Southerner, and am, and my next door neighbor were lyching black folks, I'd tell him that the lynching shit was going to stop or he was going to be next. If a bunch of black guys strolled into town pissed off because a bunch of cowboy hat wearing rednecks were lynching innocent blacks, I'd be off my ass in a hurry doing whatever I had to do to stop the lynchings.

I'd certainly understand if they were a little indiscriminate in their attempts at keeping rednecks from killing them and I ended up a target. SO, I'd be right there with them ending the redneck reign of terror, lest I be unfortunately lumped in with the lynchers, and greased.

Last edited by Dersmikner (2006-08-14 11:32:59)

Capt. Foley
+155|6580|Allentown, PA, USA
Wow, what 2 pussies voted that they are afraid of flying because of terrists. You should be on there payroll.
beerface702
+65|6685|las vegas
i honeslty now just get scared more of the general idea of flying.

my last trip was to NY 4 months ago. awesome trip. but the ride back was the worst, turblence the whole way. a lady almost died on board. it was pretty crazy

when i was a young lad i would fly all over the world with my folks, in C-5's or C-130's etc on mac flights. military brat. i loved it

and honestly those plane's our a helluva alot safer then commecial airliners

since 98 though ive flown i think 2 times. and it scares the shit out of me. even before 911
beerface702
+65|6685|las vegas

comet241 wrote:

im not a big fan of flying to be honest. i could care less about the terrorists, i just dont like not being in control. the thought that some mechanic that gets shitty pay can forget to tighten a screw all the way and I die because of it.... that's what i dont like. and i gotta fly out to vegas in november with my g/f and her family.... half tempted to try and convince her to drive out there.... funny, cause i would love to fly myself, but i dont trust anyone else that much......
dude you should just drive out. it would only take 2 days

besides you will have more fun with wheels in vegas
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6711|Las Vegas
No terrorist will ever change the choices I make in life.  I don't care if a plane goes down every month it still won't keep me from going on that vacation I had planned.  Besides, the drive to the airport is easily the most dangerous part of an airplane flight.  Terrorists have not changed that fact.  Too many people let fear run their lives and influence their decisions. 

As far as flying itself, I've had 407 takeoffs and only 15 touchdowns.  Landings are much less stressful under a parachute

Last edited by ShotYourSix (2006-08-16 03:35:07)

TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6522|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
I'm not afraid. In the last two years I've flown twice overseas, to America and to Germany.

I say that if we change our flying routine out of fear of the terroists then they have already won
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6543|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Can someone please tell me where Al-Qaeda announced their goal was to distrupt people's travel arrangements because, personally, I don't buy the argument that the terrorists win if we alter our lives and choose different methods of transport.   

I've never heard a Bin Laden speach that condones public transport usage and as far as I'm aware there is nothing in the Qur'an that states people who use vehicles should be killed so where does this thinking come from?

Terrorists "win" when they kill people, pure and simple.  Do you think the Big-Wigs behind the latest plots are sitting in their caves still happy they were foiled because "at least we scared a few people off flying"?  If they owned a Cruise Liner company I would take the point but no, they failed and if no one flew ever again, it would not alter their "cause" one iota.

When it comes to flying, I would have no problems and have flown since 9/11.  This is because a terrorist has to circumvent many security procedures to get on and since 2001 it has now become "impossible" to hijack a plane (aacording to a leading flight expert I saw on BBC).

However, I am travelling to London soon and I will have to take the underground and I will freely admit I am slightly apprehensive.  Tube stations have no X-ray machines, baggage check-ins, personal checks or anything.  Anyone could download instructions on making abomb from the internet and bomb the underground so easily.  Couple this with the fact we are at critical security alert in the UK and the news keep saying an attack is imminant.

Of course I will still go and use the trains, but if they were an alternative method of getting there, I'd take it.  Also, like someone else said, I will not get on a carraige with an Asian with a back pack, call me paranoid if you like but I call it better safe than sorry.............
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6584|Scarborough Yorkshire England
NO WAY
I'm off on holiday on friday and no terrorists are gonna scare me out of flying, walking down a street or anything.
It's a losing battle really the terrorist blow stuff up, the general public show resolve and stick their fingers up at the terrorists, who then think that didn't work lets blow something else up and we go round in circles. 
Congrats, my hat off to all who stand united and show resolve against the terrorists they ain't gonna break our spirit (I wanna break into song now lol)
Reaxzion
HOU A.U.B. JE MUIL!
+44|6587|Europe and goddamn proud of it
Never been afraid, and I will never be afraid of flying
Jejjk
My "Page Up" has never been used.
+40|6600|Sweden

Dersmikner wrote:

Oh yeah, I'm a racist, a hick, and a coward because I want to fight back. That's right. The only right thing to do would be to let my friends and neighbors get killed because of an ideology, and not strike back at that ideology. Let's just keep saying "it's just a few of them". Let's just let them blow up Israel, wear burkas on their drivers' licenses, force us to live under Sharia law... what the hell...

Pussy ass liberals, or Muslims who think we "deserve" to get terrorized, like y'all are the reason that Planet Earth is going to end up Planet Allah before it's all said and done. Muslim extremists want ALL OF US to be Islamic or dead. Unfortunately the rest of them say "we're peaceful, we don't agree with that" but none of them do jack shit about the assholes living next door. If you know your neighbor is a terrorist and you don't do anything about it, you're a terrorist. Here's an idea, MAYBE if we grease a few hundred thousand Muslims every time some Jihadist motherfucker decides to blow up a building with a daycare in it, the rest of the Muslims will actually DO SOMETHING about terrorists.

So how about we try it your way. Dallas faces a rash of killings by Muslims, and we just smile at the Mosque on our way by... and by the way, the next time you're getting robbed, try to reason with the guy that he doesn't want to live like that. If your girlfriend is getting raped, explain to the rapist that he needs to seek other outlets for his frustration, but don't fight back.

Do you not get it that if we don't force the Muslims to police their own we're going to lose this deal? They're going to KEEP killing us. They don't want to control their own oil. They don't want to be able to worship in Iran or Syria or Lebanon in the way they choose. They don't want to do their thing and let us do ours. They want to run the rest of the world out of business in a permanent way. They want your kids and my kids rocking back and forth and humming "Allah be praised, death to the infidels."

Did any of you people see the demonstrations in Michigan? They held signs up that said "America is the terrorist nation" and "God bless Hezbollah". That's called supporting an enemy army, that's beyond freedom of speech, that's called treason. You support someone who's at war with us, you're at war with us. Everyone carrying one of those signs should have been arrested, tried, and punished according to the law.

Fuck all of that.

I would have been "all good" with them if they would have stayed over there and done their own thing, but they didn't.

So now my attitude is "if you don't want a Mosque blown up, don't blow up a church."

We ought to start blowing up Mosques full of innocent Muslims every time they blow up a church or a building here, or send a suicide bomber into a cafe at lunch, and soon enough the people who are getting bombed will start doing something about the rest of those lunatics.

AND BY THE WAY: If I were a Southerner, and am, and my next door neighbor were lyching black folks, I'd tell him that the lynching shit was going to stop or he was going to be next. If a bunch of black guys strolled into town pissed off because a bunch of cowboy hat wearing rednecks were lynching innocent blacks, I'd be off my ass in a hurry doing whatever I had to do to stop the lynchings.

I'd certainly understand if they were a little indiscriminate in their attempts at keeping rednecks from killing them and I ended up a target. SO, I'd be right there with them ending the redneck reign of terror, lest I be unfortunately lumped in with the lynchers, and greased.
Lol, thats comedy gold!
You seem.... enlighted.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6623|Washington, DC

On my flight back from France a bunch of 'typical' arabic-looking passengers were on it. I admit I was more suspicious of them than, say, the fat Spanish lady in the row infront of me but meh. Turns out most of them were on student-exchange programs or somethingl ike that with the Department of State. Oops.

EDIT:
That's what seperates us from those dogs (terrorists not muslims). We don't sink to their level of killing innocents for political gain. If the terrorists attacked the real problem (political figures) instead of innocents (civilians), I wouldn't have nearly half as much of hate for them as I do now. I'd be mad if they attacked the US no matter what but I wouldn't be as mad if, say, the blew up Bush's segway while he was on it than if they did another 9/11. The only thing they get from killing civilians is more people wanting to just say "fuck it" and nuke the middle east.

Last edited by ExecutionerStyle (2006-08-16 06:54:30)

=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6543|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
You don't want to be afraid of flying. No, it's crashing you want to be afraid of, flying's what you should be doing.....
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6745
They are winning.
So last week thirty guys were arrested for plotting.  They sat around and talked a lot, maybe bought some shit...but they never did anything.  Never even got to the airport.
But now millions of people can't bring hand lotion, or toothpaste, or deodorant stick, or a bottle of water, onto the plane with them.
Thirty guys changed millions of lives, I'd say they are winning.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard