jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Maybe im dense, i need to transplant an amd processor and need the thermal interface material. Using silver compund doesn;t make me nervous, but i though it would be nice to cleanup it up and put on as reccommended.

Where can thermal interface material be bought .. all i can find it paste/silver compounds
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6493|Little blue planet, milky way
Thermal conducting compounds (paste) can usually be found at almost ANY PC store... If you WANT silver, you may have to go to two or three different places. But it's readily available...
If you have a favorite internet store that you use, try searching for it there. I have yet to hear of countries where this is not available. Generally the paste even comes with high end coolers also, so I can't see what the problem is in obtaining it ? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you ?
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6593|Camp XRay

newegg tigerdirect etc
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Twist wrote:

Thermal conducting compounds (paste) can usually be found at almost ANY PC store... If you WANT silver, you may have to go to two or three different places. But it's readily available...
If you have a favorite internet store that you use, try searching for it there. I have yet to hear of countries where this is not available. Generally the paste even comes with high end coolers also, so I can't see what the problem is in obtaining it ? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you ?
no i have the typical tubes of paste and silver .. i want the solid material that comes on a stock amd processor heatsink .. usually about 3/4" square, solid spongy material. Not on newegg, 3dcool and i can;t find a clue on amd's site.

Last edited by jsnipy (2006-08-15 09:43:37)

Canterwood
+4|6490|Canada

jsnipy wrote:

Twist wrote:

no i have the typical tubes of paste and silver .. i want the solid material that comes on a stock amd processor heatsink .. usually about 3/4" square, solid spongy material. Not on newegg, 3dcool and i can;t find a clue on amd's site.
He wants a termal pad.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6689|Las Vegas
Thermal pads are not nearly as effective as thermal paste or thermal grease.  The only reason they are used at all is that it reduces the chances of problems in the factory (too much, not enough etc.).   Use the paste or grease.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

ShotYourSix wrote:

Thermal pads are not nearly as effective as thermal paste or thermal grease.  The only reason they are used at all is that it reduces the chances of problems in the factory (too much, not enough etc.).   Use the paste or grease.
That's what i have always used (with 0 problems), but AMD makes it seem like the world's gonna end if you dont use them .. so i wondered it was worth a shot --- thanks for the affirmation.
MECtallica
+73|6474|jalalabad
silver compound helps a LOT
:p
kilgoretrout
+53|6440|Little Rock, AR
yeah, i'm running an AMD machine and was having odd overheating problems, but when i took the pad off and put paste on, it fixed everything.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard