Just wondering what people think of the night battles in SF

I hate them, BF2 was better with the lights on.35%35% - 45
Love them37%37% - 48
Indifferent27%27% - 35
Total: 128
eightFX
+0|6739|NH USA

dshak wrote:

there will never be any sneaking around as long as there is still UAV and the all seeing commander... if they really wanted to make SF fun they would have left the squads and removed the commander, or at least crippled some of his resources
Thats why you sneak up to it and blow it up with C4, then you sneak all over the place, and then sneak back and blow it up again. Thats another tactical thing people forget you can cripple the commander by taking out his assetts.

Last edited by eightFX (2005-11-27 09:11:01)

SlickWRX
+6|6756

superfly_cox wrote:

don't like it.  an army will attack with night vision if the other army doesn't have it because then it gives them an advantage.  but here we have two have two armies, each with night vision.  what's the point...just makes for a dull green and white fight with grainy graphics...
The thing about nightvision is that yes its good for low light situations.  However there are places on some maps that have very bright light.  These may actually be good hiding spots.  I recall barely noticing someone hiding under a street light.  I only saw a pixel or two move.  When I turned off nightvision they were much much more noticable.  Also maybe some of you don't live long enough to experience this but the nightvision does run out after a certain period of time.  So don't think everyone on the map has nightvision on 100% of the time.  I actually have found myself conserving the nightvision at times because I've run out before in the middle of a firefight.

I do like it though.  It makes gameplay feel a lot more covert.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6760|The United Center
i love them.  i love hiding just outside of CPs where the light goes from bright to dark very quickly...people are always either just turning their NV on or just taking it off...
Kriznik
+0|6784
i hate them

and second think > many maps in SF are totaly laggy
SlickWRX
+6|6756

Kriznik wrote:

i hate them

Which is why EA changed the list of supported video cards.

I actually had mega lag when I started playing.  I kept the resolution the same but set everything to low.  I could probably start turning things back up but I honestly care more about the gameplay than tuning the graphics.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6800|Hanging onto the UAV
Can't stand them. They were fun for 10 minutes and now they bore the crap out of me, largely because a) the majority of players will leave when the map changes to a night map, and b) 9 times out of 10 you'll be shot by someone lying in a dark patch a hundred metres away.

However, the daytime maps all rock.
Kriznik
+0|6784

SlickWRX wrote:

Kriznik wrote:

i hate them

Which is why EA changed the list of supported video cards.

I actually had mega lag when I started playing.  I kept the resolution the same but set everything to low.  I could probably start turning things back up but I honestly care more about the gameplay than tuning the graphics.
sure and that is why EA so sux! they release something with some requirements > works fine

than they decide take more money from us and they "make" """new""" game "BF2:SF" and changes requirements who cares that old BF is needed? ... no one

validating client data is for an ages, night maps SUX as hell on that maps i cant see any teamwork
some day maps are so complicated that i for few round didnt know where to go from damn building when i spawn there....

sux...
SlickWRX
+6|6756

AnarkyXtra wrote:

Can't stand them. They were fun for 10 minutes and now they bore the crap out of me, largely because a) the majority of players will leave when the map changes to a night map, and b) 9 times out of 10 you'll be shot by someone lying in a dark patch a hundred metres away.

However, the daytime maps all rock.
Not sure where you're playing but I have not been on a server yet where the majority of the players leave just because a night map is the current map.  I even recall someone on Leviathan whining about teams so I checked the teams.  It was 32 vs 32 so I told him to get a clue.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
Must be the servers I play then, but it's been true so far.

Judging by the results of the poll, though, the consensus is pretty much divided down the middle. I just can't help but think the night maps'll get abandoned after the initial interest has worn off.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6854|Cologne, Germany

night vision adds a cool new feature to the game but gameplay hasn't changed much, I believe. People are still running around wildly on their own agenda and teamplay is rare. At least on the public servers I have seen so far. I believe this would have been a nice feature on 16-player maps, 'cause you'd have to work more as a team when you have less players to work with.

On 32 or 64-player maps darkness won't help promote teamplay, I am afraid. It's just too crowded..

I mean, it's not like there is a tactical concept behind your team's behaviour on public servers...

As far as the ground issue is concerned, I agree that it can be a pain in the ass, but then again you are not supposed to run in the dark anyway. move slowly if you cannot see the ground very well...

All the maps I have seen so far are very nice, although Leviathan is a bit large and nothing seems to be going on..ghost town and warlord rock though...
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
Seconded: Ghost Town and Warlord are sweet. Quite enjoying Surge too - sniper's paradise! 
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6795|The Hague, Holland
I dont hate em, but I'd rather play daylight maps.
excalibur69
+0|6859
wow i dont know what you guys are smoking, but the night maps are my favorite maps out of the whole expansion, Devil's Perch being my favorite.  I hated them at first as well, but once you learn the terrain (and that means play more than 2 times) it is a blast.  i love hiding in the shadows and taking guys down at a distance.  These maps really make you feel like you are a special operative trying to carry out a mission, and you need to be much more tactical and careful.  i find that teamwork seems to be a lot higher on these maps, groups and squads stick together, especially on Devil's Perch because it is a linear type of map (all the points are along one road that goes up the hill).  Honestly, I really dont see how people can hate a map like this, its essentially Strike at Karkand at night with a vertical aspect taken into account.  I think everyone should give these maps a fair chance, because you will have a blast with them in time.  TBH, i hope that night only servers are started, although i do like all the maps with the exception of Surge, which sucks balls.

Last edited by excalibur69 (2005-11-28 12:03:45)

Blankwindow
+1|6738
I'm indifferent. I don't love them, but i don't hate them either. They can be extremely fun sometimes or very agreiated at other times depending on the teams. But even for the many annoyances they can spawn I still think they are great to play so balances between hate and love.

Honostly i don't think it would have been as good an expansion without the night maps though. Devil's perch really isn't that great, good but far from great. But i love the SAS airport night map with a passion. Even when my team is losing on the airport map it is still fun because their are so many different tactical places you can use to kill or whatever.
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6746|Singapore
Night maps rock cause u can just go up to a person and he doesnt know where u are:P But there is a flaw. NVGs sometimes suck because when u look at certain floors its like they are so bright til u have to take off your goggles to see the surroundings. I think the NVGs show u emitted heat.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6854|Cologne, Germany

Ayumiz wrote:

Night maps rock cause u can just go up to a person and he doesnt know where u are:P But there is a flaw. NVGs sometimes suck because when u look at certain floors its like they are so bright til u have to take off your goggles to see the surroundings. I think the NVGs show u emitted heat.
no. that is infrared, I believe. night vision goggles work differently. Sadly, I couldn't explain how..

anyone else ?
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6735|Toronto, ON, CAN

beeng wrote:

I love it
For anyone who's done night ops knows it's not a walk in the park.  I think the whole nightvision, inability to see, relying on other senses thing is brilliant and adds a whole other facet to the game
I would love to agree with you, but....

By other senses, you mean hearing only, unless you have built an incredible rig, with olfactory transmitters, tactile controls... you get the idea...

I have a great set of directional sound headphones (5.1), and I can point out where they are coming from. But without the googles  (which I tend to leave on until the batteries run out), you could only hit the enemy by giving away your position. Unless of course your better with a knife than me (hell, my dog could probably do better)

I do like the smell feedback though...  this could add a whole new level to this game.
Karkand would never be the same!!!
Blankwindow
+1|6738

B.Schuss wrote:

Ayumiz wrote:

no. that is infrared, I believe. night vision goggles work differently. Sadly, I couldn't explain how..

anyone else ?
NVG work by amplifying avliable light sorces by a factor. (i don' know what factor the BF2 NVG use.) Basically thats one of the reason the Flash Bang should work exponetionally more with NVG on than off because you should get close to light of the sun before the NVG would auto-turnoff. Basically if the ground seems to be "glowing in game" if you  look up there is probably a it  light. If not it's because EA/Dice really fubared the NV which they did anyway. I've use military grade NV not even the ones that SF gets (the latter should be better) andother than being green it looked clear to me not all grainy and crappy like this is.

-------------------------------

random us soldier

"*sniff* i smell one of those sandrats near by. *m203 thunk followed shortly by an explosion. Now he's smells burnt rat"

lol
Zantham
+1|6735|Canada
lol If I wanted to play a game in green and black monochrome I'd go play on my old 8088!!!!  Oh wait....that only supports 4 shades of green (dithered), not 16 million.....
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6856|Bryan/College Station, TX
Once you get the hang of the NVG and hot key it to a more accesible key then I think the Night Maps are very good. I feel jealous about those that have a nice 5.1 Surround headset. I think that really hearing things around you well is the key to the night maps. To hear someone come running up next to you and pass you because they don't see you. The Night Maps I find are a lot of stalking and killing. Those that run around blindly in the open and don't take cover often are usually the first ones to die. You just can't be a hero on night maps. Much more tactical strategy and squad tactics are much more essential.

Oh and how NVGs work. Yes they amplify the light that is incoming. This is why on at night even if there is no light source you still can see people. It's actually taking the ambient star light and moonlight and using that to allow you see much more clearly at night. Also hence why there is a battery to power this amplification.

Click on this site to learn even more detail: http://science.howstuffworks.com/nightvision.htm

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2005-12-01 19:42:08)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
duckforceone
+3|6736|Denmark

tF-voodoochild wrote:

superfly_cox wrote:

don't like it.  an army will attack with night vision if the other army doesn't have it because then it gives them an advantage.  but here we have two have two armies, each with night vision.  what's the point...just makes for a dull green and white fight with grainy graphics...
So, if both armies have night vision irl then neither will use it when attacking in the middle of the night?! Riiiiiiight...
No... the only reason to attack in the night is surprise and better equipment. If both sides are aware of each other and have night vision capabilities, you will not have any advantage at all, and actually take more casualties than a day assault.

there is a reason that almost 50% of the people you fire upon in a urban combat setting are your own... now take a urban combat setting at night... make that count higher...
CreepingDeath
+1|6757
I like them or should say I dont mind them at all .
On one map with the hook, I found a great spot on top of a building with my back towards thier first start up point, knowing that they usially go to this spawn point first. When they run to it, thier back ends up being towards me. Never seeing where my shots come from killing so many liek this. I couldn't do this without it being dark.
I know there are many spots like this, but I am sure they could only be if it was dark with no day light. The only bad thing about this is, I cant get a ammo crate because it slides off the roof. :-(
he_who_says_zonk
+17|6733
Leviathan is totally awesome. The first time i was on there with the rest of my [JGW] comrades, we all got 100+ scores after a very long and bitter battle. There is so much diversity in the terrain type that it allows for everyone to have a bit of a good run with their favourite stuff. I love the eerie feeling of having a friendly helo emerge out of the darkness and disappear back into it.
Devil's Perch pains me because my computer doesn't like it. I get horrible performance for at least the first half of the game. (I need more RAM). I love that you can zipline in sequence from the Asylum roof to the first flag and only need to touch the ground once. (Asylum roof, Church roof, rock outcropping, higher building, wide flat building across the square, small hut next to the flag). I think it is a great map, just wish my computer could handle it.
And yeah, the night maps tend to be much more intense. I like it.
BlackTarw
+0|6835|Reading, UK

TheCheat54 wrote:

UAV isn't so much of a problem, since it is limited. Satellite scan is the resource that should be removed.
That's what the special ops C4 is for

Love these night maps, my stats have really improved too, think they push you to work harder as a squad.
gearpig
+6|6774|SoCal
I hate the night maps, I don't even bother playing them. Thermal would be better as the startlight NVG doesn't do squat.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard