Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6775
With all of the new conroe coming out, I am looking at  anew case/mobo/cpu/power supply, but would like to be able to upgrade in some reasonable steps if possible. My current comp is a vaio, so really no compatability with any new componants.

My current CPU is a p4 3.4 541, socket 775.

I would like to get up to a conroe in the next 6 months or so, and get a new case/ram/mb/power supply until then, but am having a hard time finding a MB that supports both my current processor and a conroe for when i want to update later. Suggestions/links/advice? I would realy like a motherboard that is decent for some overclocking of the CPU. It seems there are not a whole lot of motherboards out at the moment for conroe, and a lot of them dont seem to list what processors they support beyond their socket type (forgive me if i am ignorant on this, but am assuming not all 775socket motherboards support all 775socket cpu's)

Same with power supply. Brand name suggestions? Really dont care for SLI capable, and am eyeballing the x1900xt with their price drops.

Ditto on cases. I prefer no front swing door on a case and open access. Thermaltake are good for ventilation i hear.

Will karma for good advice :-P
Fragboy
+9|6619|Massachusetts, USA
I cant help you out on the Motherboard, as I am an AMD guy myself, but on the case, I purchased a Coolermaster Centurion 534, it has dual 120 mm fans, and has been great for cooling. It is also a great case to work on, as it has tool-less drive installation. Here is a link to it at newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a … 6811119106
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6734
all conroe supporting motherboards support older socket 775, not all socket 775 mobos support conroe. i would suggest gigabyte DS3 or DS4 if your on the budget, the gigabyte DQ6 if you got loads of cashe
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Reizors
Ninja's > BF2s
+42|6541|Australia
Asus p5w dh deluxe is your a wi-fi fan.
Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6775
more info!~
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6545|Portland, OR USA
I'd recommend a mobo w/ a 965 chipset of some sort absolutely.  I've always been a fan of Asus.  However, as they recently merged with Gigabyte, it may not much matter between the two.

PSU - get a 500W or better.  Don't skimp on your PSU or you'll pay more for it later.

Case - Thermaltake all the freaking way.  If you're considering looking at water cooling (as you should) look at the Armor LCS.  It is a bit pricey, but consider that it already includes the water cooling system built into it which would normally cost about $130.  So it's really a good solution.

RAM - a touchy subject.  Really need more info from you on budget for any of these suggestions actually

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard