No - but I still hate it18%18% - 38
No - and I don't hate it23%23% - 48
Total: 204
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6508|Los Angeles

golgoj4 wrote:

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

Without the Marquis de Lafayette, Louis XVI, General Rochambeau, the Admiral de Grasse, ad infinitum, you'd be eating crumpets and tea instead of those Spicy Habanero Doritos, Jojoba. I know the truth hurts, but without France there would be no United States of America. Period.
That wasnt for our benefit. That was to embarass the brits. Stop actling like they actually cared.
To believe that is an insult to the spirit and principles our country was founded on.

Our struggle for nationhood, and our attempt to found a country based on individual liberty, rallied people around the world to our cause. We found great friends in Prussia, Poland, and especially in France. Many came over and risked their lives to fight for the liberty and freedom that you enjoy.

I'll give you a single example: The Marquis De Lafayette. He was so passionate about the American cause that he

- fought and was wounded as a volunteer soldier in the Revolutionary War
- received no pay for commanding a division in the Revolutionary War
- took a boat back to France during the war to personally petition Louis XVI to assist America
- used HIS OWN PERSONAL FUNDS to support American troops during the war
- was quoted after the Siege of Yorktown as saying "Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country."
- named his first-born son "Georges Washington Motier de La Fayette"

Yet you say the French didn't really care. You say the French were in it to spite Britain. Your statement is completely ignorant, golgoj4. When you insult the French who risked and gave their lives for America, like I said before you insult the spirit and principles our country was founded on. You suggest that the things this country is based on wouldn't be enough to inspire allegiance, and that spite for another country would have been a stronger source of inspiration.

Those French were better American patriots than you are.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6557|Southeastern USA
This is true, I think that most of the recent anti french sentiment comes from events such as France not allowing US bombers to overfly French airspace when Libya started shooting at and threatening everything with US markings including airliners, and France's stonewalling of the Iraq treaty enforcement being followed by their implication in the oil for food scandal by documents in Saddam's own briefcase.
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6508|Los Angeles

kr@cker wrote:

This is true, I think that most of the recent anti french sentiment comes from events such as France not allowing US bombers to overfly French airspace when Libya started shooting at and threatening everything with US markings including airliners, and France's stonewalling of the Iraq treaty enforcement being followed by their implication in the oil for food scandal by documents in Saddam's own briefcase.
So you're arguing that the majority of people around the world who claim to be "anti-French" would cite as one of their main reasons "because one time in April 1986 the French Prime Minister didn't allow the United States to overfly their airspace to go bomb Libya"?

You're saying that recent anti-French sentiment is due in large part to anger over something that happened over twenty years ago?

Really?

You seem out of touch with reality, kr@cker. Because if "most of the recent anti french sentiment" came from those things, wouldn't you think ONE person on this thread would have cited ONE of them? In fact, I doubt that 5% of people - in America or across the world - who say they hate France have even heard of any of the things you're talking about.

Common sense will tell you that the average anti-France moron feels so because France was "against" the United States in the War on Terror, or that they think French people are snobby. Or maybe because they got an email forward telling them some fantasy story about how French people totally hate America, and they'd rather believe in that story blindly because it doesn't challenge their distorted worldview than spend 10 seconds on google finding out the truth.
Jepeto87
+38|6693|Dublin
Im just back from France and I loved it and ive travelled a fair bit in my short life! I found the French to be very polite and once you threw in some French to every sentance they'd always help you out. And the food was something else. Its a great country and thats all ill say on the matter as Shipbuilder has summed it for me! +1 buddy

Cheers
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6698|Tampa Bay Florida

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

golgoj4 wrote:

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

Without the Marquis de Lafayette, Louis XVI, General Rochambeau, the Admiral de Grasse, ad infinitum, you'd be eating crumpets and tea instead of those Spicy Habanero Doritos, Jojoba. I know the truth hurts, but without France there would be no United States of America. Period.
That wasnt for our benefit. That was to embarass the brits. Stop actling like they actually cared.
To believe that is an insult to the spirit and principles our country was founded on.

Our struggle for nationhood, and our attempt to found a country based on individual liberty, rallied people around the world to our cause. We found great friends in Prussia, Poland, and especially in France. Many came over and risked their lives to fight for the liberty and freedom that you enjoy.

I'll give you a single example: The Marquis De Lafayette. He was so passionate about the American cause that he

- took a boat back to France during the war to personally petition Louis XVI to assist America
- was quoted after the Siege of Yorktown as saying "Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country."

Yet you say the French didn't really care. You say the French were in it to spite Britain. Your statement is completely ignorant, golgoj4. When you insult the French who risked and gave their lives for America, like I said before you insult the spirit and principles our country was founded on. You suggest that the things this country is based on wouldn't be enough to inspire allegiance, and that spite for another country would have been a stronger source of inspiration.

ROFL, owned like a noob
golgoj4
+51|6782|North Hollywood

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

golgoj4 wrote:

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

Well i give you credit for being long winded, i will get around to preparing a response...i personally find this all comical and as far as calling any frenchman more patriotic than i, i say HA!

*longer winded response to follow*
btw after reading the thread a lil, my anti-french sentiment isnt a result of the bs war on 'terror'...

Last edited by golgoj4 (2006-08-10 17:27:31)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

golgoj4 wrote:

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

golgoj4 wrote:

Well i give you credit for being long winded, i will get around to preparing a response...i personally find this all comical and as far as calling any frenchman more patriotic than i, i say HA!

*longer winded response to follow*
btw after reading the thread a lil, my anti-french sentiment isnt a result of the bs war on 'terror'...
You apparently know more about being patriotic then everyone else.  Including French men who gave their lives for this nation?
lordgeno
Enemy Bush Spotted!
+18|6721|asshole of the planet, NM, USA
I went to France when I was stationed in Germany.  I voted yes and I still hate it, however that is misleading.  I don't like the peeps in Paris, but outside of Paris the people are pretty nice.  My team and I took our leave, went to Paris and ended up staying with a family outside of Paris for the entire time! 

It was awesome, helped them pick grapes from their vineyard ate awesome food.  It was like they were our family.  It was an older couple, like 50's 60's.  They were happy we were there, and doing our jobs.  They were like, "you skinny Americans need to come to our house and eat!"  One of the best experiences of my life.  Nothing like the rude, pompous asswhipes that we constantly ran into in Paris.  Although I must admit, most of the people we ended up dealing with in Paris were younger, not really sure if that has anything to do with it.  Just an observation.

I think the people in Paris didn't like us because we were soldiers at the time, and I haven't been back since.  But if I went back I think it would be a different experience, although I'm not sure because of what our government is doing.

Last edited by lordgeno (2006-08-10 17:42:55)

j5f5ff
+11|6758
Yes.  Nice place, nice people.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6557|Southeastern USA

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

You're saying that recent anti-French sentiment is due in large part to anger over something that happened over twenty years ago?

Really?

You seem out of touch with reality, kr@cker. Because if "most of the recent anti french sentiment" came from those things, wouldn't you think ONE person on this thread would have cited ONE of them? In fact, I doubt that 5% of people - in America or across the world - who say they hate France have even heard of any of the things you're talking about.
???
I'm actually agreeing with you!! Lighten up, although there was also some degree of opportunism involved with French assistance, there were also some doing it for ......."noble reasons" for lack of a better term, Benjamin Franklin I believe went to France many times for just such reasons. Whether they know the 80's incident were the root cause or not of all the anti-france hysteria or not does not change the fact that it was one of the reasons that it became "fashionable" in the 80's to knock France.

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

because France stood against the US on the war on terror
which is why i referenced France's stonewalling of the Iraq treaty enforcement being followed by their implication in the oil for food scandal by documents in Saddam's own briefcase.

Yes, the direct cause of the sentiment is due to people taking notes from stand up comedians, late night talk shows, Saturday Night Live and such, but those two events in the past few decades were the reason that the show writers and all brought up the subject in the first place.
I'm sorry I didn't expand on my reasoning, perhaps I need to start posting drunk again.

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-08-10 17:57:27)

mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6724|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
What if I don't hate the French people or the country, just their government?
RedheadedBastard
It's not just a clever name
+7|6567|USA
I was in France 10 years ago and I hated Paris.  Almost every person that I had contact with there was rude.  It was as if they all thought they were better than me.  A bus driver even threw his cig at me and called me a "dirty American pig".  He said it in perfect English so that he knew I would understand.  I guess he didn't like the American flag I had on my backpack.  However, the people of Chamonix were very nice.  I stayed with a family for the weekend in their chateau.  They took me to a disco club and I didn't have to pay for a single drink all night.  Anyone who buys me a drink is okay in my book.

There are assholes in France just like there are assholes in the US.  You just gotta shrug them off and move on cause they're not worth wasting your time.
MURcarnage
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
+86|6666|San Francisco, CA
can't hate who i don't know.
[iLL]h8+
+26|6724|Florida

mcgid1 wrote:

I would agree with this statement.  I mean I am sure most of the people that currently hate us, dont really hate Americans as individuals, but our Government.

Dont get me started on Bush and his cabinet, but I think if you are Anti- France or any country for that matter you are not trying to understand both sides of the coin.

With the exception of a few of you, you are basing your beliefs or "hatred" on events you had nothing to do with.  I had nothing to do with stopping planes from flying over French air, or the American revolution.

I base my experience on my own experiences and beliefs I can directly decipher from my family or what I have seen or done.

I have Personally walked the streets in the Middle east and had shit thrown at me.  I have personally walked in Laos and Vietnam and yes 30 years later, came into contact with people who said they would "light me on fire" and even in Russian, I had a person want to fight me, because he wanted to beat an American.

Do I hate the Middle East countries and their people..........................NO.  Just the fuggers who threw the rocks.

Do I hate lower Asian and its people............................................No.  Just the pyro maniac I ran into.

Do I hate Russia and the people of Russia....................Nope, just the jackass I had to lay the smack down on.

My point is even if you have a couple of bad experiences in Paris, does not mean the people are bad or something you should hate.

Just because the US government wants to fight everything in site, does not mean that if you run into me surfing on the beach, I am going to beat you for oil or your assets.

You must realize, it is the actions of very few, that usually get broadcasted over the news and media.  Do not believe everything you see on the tele, paper, or net.

Love thy neighbor, until he tries something, then smack that one neighbor, not all your neighbors. LOL
Fretzli
+10|6650|Switzerland
Things I like about France: Wine, cuisine(with a few exceptions), landscape.
Things I don't like about the French: Their arrogance, their language, fois gras, ...
Let's say I don't hate France, I hate the French.
Chou
+737|6799

Fretzli wrote:

Things I don't like about the French: Their arrogance, their language, fois gras, ...
You live in Switzerland  and you hate the language?
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6508|Los Angeles

golgoj4 wrote:

If by "long-winded" you mean "used proper grammar, facts, sources, and a superior understanding of history to embarrass you" then yes, I guess I was a bit long-winded.

We are eagerly anticipating your rebuttal-- sure to be stinging, verbose, and fact-laden-- in which you prove how you are more demonstrative of love for America than those who have died defending her.
Fretzli
+10|6650|Switzerland

Choumichel wrote:

Fretzli wrote:

You live in Switzerland  and you hate the language?
Well, I live in the German-speaking part
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6566|Hungary
French ppl are so stupid they say "we wont learn/speak other languages..you should learn ours" yeah i say fuck you.They are also pissed about Hungry coz the Trianon Tratery when they took the 3/4 of our land.And they did it because they dont wanted another strong and big country in europe and Hungary was one big country in the middle.So i just say they should stfu and be happy coz they never lost anything.Just imagine how it will be france would lose 3/4 or their territory...they could never agree that...like Hungary wont agree Trianon.
Any questions are welcome...just PM me if you are intrested in history.

And i was once in france when i went to UK in spring 2005.
dead_rac00n
+12|6490|DTC

Raptor1 wrote:

i dont like french people because they think that anyone who dosen't speak french is a complete idiot. they also eat snails, that says something
Yes. And we also eat cheese that stinks and drink wine and are all english and german haters.
Man, you're ridiculous.
We have nothing against english and german people, our wine is, imao, the best in the world (though australian and californian can be superb), and at least our cheese IS cheese. Not some pasteurized sh*t even my dog wouldn't eat. But go ahead. We, french people are stubborn, stupid and we're always right. I think you're now pleased with those stereotypes and have now a reason to hate us.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

[iLL]h8+ wrote:

mcgid1 wrote:

I would agree with this statement.  I mean I am sure most of the people that currently hate us, dont really hate Americans as individuals, but our Government.

Dont get me started on Bush and his cabinet, but I think if you are Anti- France or any country for that matter you are not trying to understand both sides of the coin.

With the exception of a few of you, you are basing your beliefs or "hatred" on events you had nothing to do with.  I had nothing to do with stopping planes from flying over French air, or the American revolution.

I base my experience on my own experiences and beliefs I can directly decipher from my family or what I have seen or done.
Thanks, that was pretty much the point of why I made the poll

There was another thread called "Let's talk about France".

It was completely filled with American French-haters.... that's why I made this poll.  It seemed like most of them were just randomly saying shit.... nothing based on actually being in the country.

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-08-11 16:36:54)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard